Go Back  British Expats > General > The Locker Room
Reload this Page >

Formula 1 fans?

Formula 1 fans?

Old May 14th 2014, 6:23 pm
Brexicide Now

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Formula 1 fans?

The McLaren MP 4/4 had a 1.5L V6 turbo that revved to about 14,000. It sounded good. There is no excuse.
Old May 14th 2014, 6:27 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Noise just for the sake of it misses the point somewhat anyhow, and really illustrates just how far they are willing to push the formula away from "sport" and into "entertainment".
It wasn't so long ago that Bernie was talking of adding sprinklers for x number of laps per race and "shortcuts" on certain circuits.

Whoevever thought we would have "push-to-overtake"? And yet, here we are.

Carry on like this and F1 will be the WWF Smackdown of racing.
Old May 14th 2014, 6:28 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing View Post
The McLaren MP 4/4 had a 1.5L V6 turbo that revved to about 14,000. It sounded good. There is no excuse.
I have to assume that sticking a trumpet on the end was their way of making the idea unworkable/undesirable so that it would go away.

Maybe it would sound better if it came out around the diffuser?
Old May 14th 2014, 6:37 pm

Comments from F1 Fanatic seem pretty spot on...

-------------------
Merc is just trolling

So Mercedes’ complex engineering solution was to weld a cone to the end?
--------------------

Can you even stick a loud exhaust on a Turbo? No idea. The one on my Mini sounds ok.

But SoS is right, the old Turbos sounded ok. I suspect its the rev limit causing a lot of the issues, especially when you consider that most are not even getting near the (already low) limit because of the asinine "green" fuel consumption rules.
Old May 14th 2014, 6:45 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutek View Post

Maybe it would sound better if it came out around the diffuser?
Old May 15th 2014, 10:49 am

Old May 15th 2014, 1:00 pm
Brexicide Now

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

That's about what they've come to. You forgot the sparklers attached to the back end, though ...

I noticed the other day that my car's 1.4L turbo makes a better sound than the current F1 engines, and I was only revving to 3,500 at the time

I don't understand why they don't just go back to the practice of removing or raising the rev limit and setting only the engine displacement (two if they decide to allow NA and turbo engines together), then let the teams decide the number of cylinders and everything else. Then we'd have a variety of noises and variety makes for a more interesting event anyway.

Also, they can get rid of DRS while they're at it
Old May 15th 2014, 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing View Post
That's about what they've come to. You forgot the sparklers attached to the back end, though ...

I noticed the other day that my car's 1.4L turbo makes a better sound than the current F1 engines, and I was only revving to 3,500 at the time

I don't understand why they don't just go back to the practice of removing or raising the rev limit and setting only the engine displacement (two if they decide to allow NA and turbo engines together), then let the teams decide the number of cylinders and everything else. Then we'd have a variety of noises and variety makes for a more interesting event anyway.

Also, they can get rid of DRS while they're at it
I'd vote for you.
Old May 15th 2014, 4:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

Meh, I put this year being a bit pants down to it being a transitional year. Clearly Mercedes have been ploughing vast resources into this year, probably neglecting somewhat previous years. I think next year, we'll see the cars all fairly even again (by that, I mean Red Bull dominating LOL). Double points will be scrapped, we'll all be used to the sound and all will be well. With regards to DRS, if the FIA changed the rule so that it could be used any time without limit, I don't think anyone would have a problem with it.
Old May 15th 2014, 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by markonline1 View Post
With regards to DRS, if the FIA changed the rule so that it could be used any time without limit, I don't think anyone would have a problem with it.
Wouldn't that be the same as just not having it?

For the rest, I'm pretty much convinced that all they need to do is lift the fuel restriction and by doing so, allow the engines to rev. That should "fix" the sound and might even bring back some of the mechanical uncertainty that I miss.

I think you have a point on the transitional year thing... Just don't agree (with the FIA) that F1 should be "green".
Old May 15th 2014, 5:51 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Why does the car have wet weather tires on a dry road, are you trying for tire rumble as well?
Old May 15th 2014, 7:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutek View Post
Wouldn't that be the same as just not having it?
Yes and no. I don't think it's a bad idea in that it increases the speed of the cars and creates less dirty air behind the cars, all good things. What makes it fake is only the guy behind can use it, therefor the leading car has no defence against it. With it being available throughout the lap, you might also find drivers choosing it use it in unexpected areas of the track whilst on a charge like Rosberg at the end if the Spanish. As I say, I like the idea, I just don't like the way it's implemented in the race.
Old May 15th 2014, 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by lansbury View Post
Why does the car have wet weather tires on a dry road, are you trying for tire rumble as well?
Maybe rumble strips would help too.
Old May 15th 2014, 8:43 pm
Brexicide Now

I think they should start having F1 races on Rallycross tracks.

That should make things exciting
Old May 19th 2014, 12:05 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Sad news (posted in the obit thread too) - Sir Jack Brabham dies aged 88 - http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-05-1...m-dies/5461332

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.