Go Back  British Expats > General > The Locker Room
Reload this Page >

Formula 1 fans?

Formula 1 fans?

Old Nov 6th 2019, 8:02 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Formula 1 fans?

Originally Posted by Charismatic View Post
The clarification Red Bull sought pertained to the fuel flow meter in the fuel tank. Apparently the design of the meter is such that it only periodically records flow and Red Bull thought Ferrari where spoofing the meter by not pumping at a constant rate.

Based on what observers report and other teams can see on GPS the advantage Ferrari have seem to occur because they can run their electric boost for longer down straights. The FIA instructed the team to put in more sensors into their electrical system but haven't reported that any rules have been explicitly broken. They have also checked the oil volume within the inter-cooler and are happy that's not handing them any advantage. Last year there where also questions about a twin battery system but that seems resolved.

My guess is Ferrari are doing something but it may not actually explicitly contravene any written rule. It may just be a clever exploit within the existing rules.
yeah makes sense
Old Nov 7th 2019, 6:03 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Charismatic View Post
Ferrari are doing something but it may not actually explicitly contravene any written rule. It may just be a clever exploit within the existing rules.
They all do this tho.... that part of the game. The skill is in the interpretation of the rules and ensuring your tweaks fall within them.
Old Nov 7th 2019, 1:37 pm
Dedicated European

Expatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond repute

I sometimes get the impression that the FIA is determined to stifle innovation or at least be the sole arbiter of innovation. Now it is just rule bending by the teams, not the sort of radical development driven by the Colin Chapmans & Gordan Murrays of this world.

Just my perception.
Old Nov 10th 2019, 10:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jam25mack View Post
How about just best driver ever?

How do his races wins and podium finishes stack up against Schuie?

How does the quality of the competition / dominance of the cars stack up between the two?

Comparing drivers of vastly different generations is a bit of an impossibility for me. Old school drivers drove temperamental death traps but at lower speeds with far far less G.

I read about some of the old guard Moto GP riders (Dohan, Schwantz etc) having a run out on some current Moto GP bikes. They were all just a smidgen off the pace and commented that the bikes were dull and easy to ride (traction control, wheelie control and basically not trying the kill them). These guys would probably be right back on race pace if they did some serious track time on them.
If the title is "Best motorsport driver ever" I would pick the winningest Isle of Man TT racers. There's racing and then there is suicidal . The TT is the most dangerous motor sport event, so to win and win multiple times takes a person whose qualities are rare even when compared to other motorsport drivers.
Old Nov 10th 2019, 11:03 pm
Fair and balanced

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boomhauer View Post
If the title is "Best motorsport driver ever" I would pick the winningest Isle of Man TT racers. There's racing and then there is suicidal . The TT is the most dangerous motor sport event, so to win and win multiple times takes a person whose qualities are rare even when compared to other motorsport drivers.
Joey Dunlop? Died riding at the end of a race.
Old Nov 11th 2019, 8:12 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boomhauer View Post
Love the TT.

I would also put rally drivers in that bracket too.

Originally Posted by kimilseung View Post
Joey Dunlop? Died riding at the end of a race.
It'll be one of the Dunlops...
Old Nov 12th 2019, 4:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

The late Joey Dunlop has the most career TT wins (26), followed by John McGuinness with 23.
So for living TTers I would pick John.
Old Today, 12:09 am
Forum Regular

namsbabe is an unknown quantity at this point

F1 sucks these days.
too much focus on the best team and best car (or who has the most money for the best car).
But I'm a football fan, so i know it makes me hypocritical to condemn F1 for this (I don;'t care though...)