Go Back  British Expats > General > The Locker Room
Reload this Page >

Football TV rights monopoly ended??

Football TV rights monopoly ended??

Old Oct 6th 2011, 7:24 am
Grace and gratitude

pommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Football TV rights monopoly ended??

Originally Posted by ededed View Post
This could go either way - hopefully common sense will prevail and salaries will have to drop, although I doubt it. More likely is that clubs will find new ways to fleece supporters. What impact will this have in Spain? If none, we could see some of the top players go abroad like in the 80's....we'll be stuck with Torres and Caroll...
Actually thinking about it I think the clubs who will suffer most will be those who pay their players ridiculous wages and are already in the poo financially

I can see the likes of Rooney being on the first plane to Spain.....

<Ed runs off with his ipad to try and scour the internet for information to indicate that Man U is more financially stable than Spurs.....but fails..........miserably)
Old Oct 6th 2011, 12:58 pm

ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pommybird View Post
Actually thinking about it I think the clubs who will suffer most will be those who pay their players ridiculous wages and are already in the poo financially

<Ed runs off with his ipad to try and scour the internet for information to indicate that Man U is more financially stable than Spurs.....but fails..........miserably)
Not worried about financial stability vs Spurs, just trophy count....
Old Oct 8th 2011, 10:46 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pommybird View Post

I doubt they would want him after last nights showing.

Who cares about the Murdoch money anyway,... it's time the game was given back to the real grass roots fans.
The old first div.was just as entertaining as todays over-hyped version.
English teams did just as well in Europe without all of todays expensive imports despite a few top players playing abroad at the time.
In addition the National team was at least as competitive back then as it is now and pride was at least as important as money.

Looking around the forums I see an ever increasing ground swell of resentment regarding how the game is now being taken out of reach of so many real fans.
Old Oct 9th 2011, 4:36 am

ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly View Post

In addition the National team was at least as competitive back then as it is now and pride was at least as important as money.

Looking around the forums I see an ever increasing ground swell of resentment regarding how the game is now being taken out of reach of so many real fans.
Don't kid yourself. Every premier league - possibly Spanish and Italian too - top side would love Rooney in their team.

And, the fluke of '66 aside, when was the national team ever competitive? We did ok in '96 but failed when the pressure was on, just like every year before and since....I've been following England since 1978 and they have always been crap. I grant you, it's got worse and 2010 down here in Africa was possibly the lowest but it's always been bad.
Old Oct 9th 2011, 9:23 am
Grace and gratitude

pommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond repute

Who cares about the Murdoch money anyway,... it's time the game was given back to the real grass roots fans.
The old first div.was just as entertaining as todays over-hyped version.
English teams did just as well in Europe without all of todays expensive imports despite a few top players playing abroad at the time.

I think the extortionate ticket prices of premiership grounds has more to do with taking the game away from grass roots fans, who can afford a season ticket at Old Trafford, the Bridge of even the Lane nowadays, or even 40 or 50 quid a pop for the odd game, take a couple of kids with you and you'll need to re-mortgage the house!

Although I have to watch a fair bit of my team on streaming sites, I personally think Sky offers a pretty good service, not only EPL, but I enjoy the opportunity to watch Serie A and La Liga. I do however agree with the sentiment that the EPL is over-hyped and over-paid but surely a salary cap would just sort that out, I certainly would be happy to see the back of some of the greedy, over-paid prima donnas we have in our PL.

Anyway, I'm alright I've got my trusted ITV4 and Channel 5 on a Thursday
Old Oct 9th 2011, 10:58 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Don't kid yourself. Every premier league - possibly Spanish and Italian too - top side would love Rooney in their team.

And, the fluke of '66 aside, when was the national team ever competitive? We did ok in '96 but failed when the pressure was on, just like every year before and since....I've been following England since 1978 and they have always been crap. I grant you, it's got worse and 2010 down here in Africa was possibly the lowest but it's always been bad.
So how do you account for all the previous European Cup success with British only players up against the money no object multi national stars of Spanish and Italian sides ?
You obviously haven't followed the game very long to call the 66 success a fluke. They were a damned good side and deserved their success.
What's more they had a damned good side in the following two World cups and were unfortunate not to go closer.
As for Rooney playing abroad,I would be hard pressed to think of a top player less suited to do so and I couldn't imagine him ever wanting to in any event.
We proved numerous times that we can do ok without mega millions and foreign players.
Why not tell Murdoch to stuff his dough and lets get back to the grass roots of the home of football and do it again ?
Old Oct 10th 2011, 2:54 pm
-------------------------

paranoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond repute

So how do you account for all the previous European Cup success with British only players up against the money no object multi national stars of Spanish and Italian sides ?
You obviously haven't followed the game very long to call the 66 success a fluke. They were a damned good side and deserved their success.
What's more they had a damned good side in the following two World cups and were unfortunate not to go closer.
As for Rooney playing abroad,I would be hard pressed to think of a top player less suited to do so and I couldn't imagine him ever wanting to in any event.
We proved numerous times that we can do ok without mega millions and foreign players.
Why not tell Murdoch to stuff his dough and lets get back to the grass roots of the home of football and do it again ?
Nice dream.

As for Rooney not being suited to play in Europe? Would you like to enlarge on exactly why that might be, in your oblivious opinion?
Old Oct 10th 2011, 3:32 pm

So much balls here, difficult to know where to begin.

A dodgy Russian linesman and Pele being injured won us the world cup. In the 1970s we (British teams) were winning the European Cup by only playing 7 games and winning them all 1-0, Rooney not being suited and not in demand? Please - that's tosh. When did we prove numerous times we can do ok? Murdoch saved football, like it or not. Without his money the game was stagnating, we couldn't afford the stadiums we see today and were heading for hooligan-inspired oblivion. We now have to pay the piper and the choices are stark - expensive, safe and entertaining, or back to the good old days of big English (and Scottish!) midfielders kicking the shit out of each other while the fans did the same.

You can't have it both ways.... Maybe if you are such a purist you should support a non-league team...?
Old Oct 10th 2011, 5:36 pm
Life goes on.

Uncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond repute

How do you account for not being able to spell the name of the cartoon character you named yourself after?
Old Oct 10th 2011, 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by Uncle Ebenezer View Post
How do you account for not being able to spell the name of the cartoon character you named yourself after?
I imagine all the easy ones were taken. Or his spellchecker kept rejecting Penelope Pitstop....
Old Oct 10th 2011, 7:08 pm
-------------------------

paranoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond repute

I imagine all the easy ones were taken. Or his spellchecker kept rejecting Penelope Pitstop....
Piss-top?