Firstpoint USA

Firstpoint USA

Old Jan 25th 2011, 1:11 pm
Just Joined

mercymercy456 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Firstpoint USA

Originally Posted by victor-1 View Post
Hi Lady preacher,

Sorry for the delayed reply but just happened to check this thread again and saw your question.

Things have moved on quite a way since my last post. My son signed up with Pass4soccer and paid the £775 fee. He attended a trials day where they had around 40+ coaches over from the US. He played two games of 45 minutes duration and at the end of the day talked to seven coaches from NCAA 1 & 2 leagues.

Pass4soccer also posted his video on their website and this gained further interest from another 5 coaches but 2 of these were from NCAA3 which doesn't offer any scholarships.

It became pretty obvious through ongoing correspondence who was really interested and who wasn't and he narowed his choice down to two (one NCAA1 & one NCAA2) who showed real interest in him. Ultimately for us the scholarship was so important as the cost of the US education meant that it had to be a good offer for us to consider it.

He decided to accept the offer from the NCAA2 College as this was the best deal financially and the coach was fantastic with his follow up to all our questions. He's due to leave next month and is really looking forward to the experience.

The scolarship has taken care of around 90% of the overall costs and includes lodgings, food, insurance etc. Extra costs to us are the additional 10% education cost, visa fees (around US$400 plus travel costs to London for the interview), return flight to the US at £800, college housing deposit at US$500, bedding at $200, book costs estimated to be around US$1500 and other incidental set up costs (electrical items for the US, mobile phone, spending money, etc) which we've allowed another US$3,000 for in the first year.

So even with a good offer there are still add-on costs to consider and there is a lot of paperwork to get through but we found it fairly logical. A lot depends on the Uni as they can help with so much advice and assistance which in our case we found really useful.

Registering with the NCAA Eligibility Centre is also fairly easy but time consuming and you have to do the SAT test and submit the results of this to the NCAA. You also have to send certified copies of your UK results to them through your current school.

We found Pass4soccer to offer a great service, they hosted the trials day superbly and were always there to answer e-mails or phone calls with advice so I'd have no hesitiation to recommend them to you. Look them up on the web and give Barry or Daniel a call and you'll see what I mean. They don't do things for you but will guide you through a lot of the process.

If you need any more advice just let me know and I hope this helps.

Good Luck!
Hi my son has signed up to first point usa and is about to travel to london for his profile video, then a wk later for his dreaded acc test we are very doubtfull about this as it is costing far to much but, we cant pull out now as we have paid our £2.500 ouch i sold my car to do this..we never realised what we had to come but he is really enjoying doing this,they have said they get free lodgings in usa with all the kit they need aswell as food etc,, is this true please help as i have no idea of the cost ie, if he falls ill etc thanks
Old Jan 25th 2011, 1:17 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by tamms_1965 View Post
"Consultant" overturn is also inevitable. My stepson ended up having three in the less than 18 months.
Hi,, i no its a while back since you signed for usa but could you let me no how you got on,, my son is about to do his acc test, he took one look at the book and said no chance,, he is sitting this on the 11 feb omg what happens if he fails.. i didnt realise we had to travel to london ect,, we have to book hotels for the night before for his acc test and profile building as we live miles away from london..hope you did well x
Old Jan 25th 2011, 7:05 pm
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mercymercy456 View Post
Hi,, i no its a while back since you signed for usa but could you let me no how you got on,, my son is about to do his acc test, he took one look at the book and said no chance,, he is sitting this on the 11 feb omg what happens if he fails.. i didnt realise we had to travel to london ect,, we have to book hotels for the night before for his acc test and profile building as we live miles away from london..hope you did well x
Frankly, it was a waste of good money. He did get an offer but the housing and books were going to cost $12,000 a year so it was a no-go. I wish he would have talked to us before he paid his $$ but hindsight is 20/20.
Old Jan 26th 2011, 12:57 pm
Just Joined

[QUOTE=stanno77;6076576]hiii
i have my assement in a few weeks, and i was just woundering what the coaches are looking for, and what kind of things will i be expected to do
cheers[/QUOTE i i no its been a while but how did you get on,, my son is going to london within a wk with fpusa and the expense is getting out of hand, as we live a long way from london and we was not prepared for this,, we have paid our £2500 plus lots more.. could you let me no how you got on thanks a
Old Jan 26th 2011, 1:13 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by hello199 View Post
Alrite people.
I've been taken on by first point USA, paid the money aswell, but am definetlly regretting it soo far.
I've taken my S.A.T's which they didn't help with at all, no help or idea's at what to do, just do them.
I really believe they take on anyone who pay's. I'm a good player and at a footage game a few months back i played with someone in center mid who had apparently already got a place aswell. He was overweight and unfit, and seemed to have little skill. (I Ran the game, but thats another story )
Currently im letting them do their thing for me but im also looking into getting to the u.s without them, sending e-mails to coaches etc.
Too add my "consultant" is terrible. He has almost no idea who i am ( I do realise he has loadsa people, but almost no contact) and seems to not be bothered at all.
In my opinion, go it your own way, but i'll let you know how it turns out for me with first point.
peace x
hi my son is about to do his profile in london as he was accepted at first point for soccer,, could you let me no how you got on thanks a
Old Jan 26th 2011, 1:17 pm
Just Joined

[QUOTE=tamms_1965;9128298]Frankly, it was a waste of good money. He did get an offer but the housing and books were going to cost $12,000 a year so it was a no-go. I wish he would have talked to us before he paid his $$ but hindsight is 20/20.[/QUOTE first point told us that when he arrives he recieves boots football kit free lodgings etc,, omg i hope we are not looking at more expense, sorry to hear you son had to pay all that money, hope i dont as it will be a nono for me,,thanks for your reply x]
Old Jan 26th 2011, 3:48 pm
Just Joined

victor-1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi my son has signed up to first point usa and is about to travel to london for his profile video, then a wk later for his dreaded acc test we are very doubtfull about this as it is costing far to much but, we cant pull out now as we have paid our £2.500 ouch i sold my car to do this..we never realised what we had to come but he is really enjoying doing this,they have said they get free lodgings in usa with all the kit they need aswell as food etc,, is this true please help as i have no idea of the cost ie, if he falls ill etc thanks
Hello mercymercy456,
With regards to the tests you can get pre-study books which have old papers in them and FP should help you as to where to get these. I would advise that your son prepare well for the test as it is different from UK tests and the results are important. If he doesn't do well he can always re-take but this may involve additional travel costs for you.

The promise of free lodgings and kit will be dependant of the amount of the scholarship offer. If he gets a really good offer then everything will be taken care of for lodgings and kit. My son had to pay $300 for his kit. Food and lodgings were included in his offer but only up to 90% of the yearly cost so we paid the difference.

What you really need to know is the costs to get him there (flights, taxis/train and any overnight aaccommodation. Also remember that the colleges usually shut down for summer (around three months) and christmas (around three weeks) and also spring break & thanksgiving (usually one week each time) so he may want to come home which means more travel costs.

Book costs are dependant on the course he chooses to study but they are expensive. In my son's first year (both 1st & 2nd semesters) we anticipate we've paid around $1,000 and have no idea at the moment how much this will be in the following years. You can buy used books and eBay is quite good to pick up some good deals but there isn't an easy way around this and it's not usually part of the scholarship, or it wasn't part of my son's offer. Maybe others can comment more on this point.

My advice to you would be to carry on as you've already committed a good deal of money up to now but try to plan ahead. You can get cheap deals on flights/trains/ aaccommodationthe further in advance you book. Once there your son needs to network to pick up books from students selling them on as he will save a lot of money this way. Also he'll need spending money for snacks/drinks/socializing. It will be difficult for him to get a job on campus as his football schedule will mean he can't stick to a regular job schedule and he won't be able to work outside the uni as he won't have an American social security number so no one will employ him. Again others might have experienced something different so any comments would be welcomed.

Depending on the uni he might have to buy bedding (around $200 for a dorm pack although he could buy from Walmart and save a few dollars), air-con units, fridge, t.v., etc but depends on the circumstances.

If you sum it all up it's not exactly as good as FP might portray it. It's true that some lads/girls get some great scholarships of 100% but the majority get a percentage less than this. If your son gets an offer in excess of 75% and you plan ahead he should do okay versus costs and aaccommodationfor a UK uni but it all depends on your circumstances and your budget.

I hope this helps but please bear in mind my comments are made with regards to my son and his experiences to date. It's cost us more than we thought but we're still ahead when you weigh up UK costs and the experience can be fantastic for him if he gets into the right frame of mind.

If you need any more advice please just let me know.

Good luck
Old Jan 27th 2011, 7:33 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by victor-1 View Post
Hello mercymercy456,
With regards to the tests you can get pre-study books which have old papers in them and FP should help you as to where to get these. I would advise that your son prepare well for the test as it is different from UK tests and the results are important. If he doesn't do well he can always re-take but this may involve additional travel costs for you.

The promise of free lodgings and kit will be dependant of the amount of the scholarship offer. If he gets a really good offer then everything will be taken care of for lodgings and kit. My son had to pay $300 for his kit. Food and lodgings were included in his offer but only up to 90% of the yearly cost so we paid the difference.

What you really need to know is the costs to get him there (flights, taxis/train and any overnight aaccommodation. Also remember that the colleges usually shut down for summer (around three months) and christmas (around three weeks) and also spring break & thanksgiving (usually one week each time) so he may want to come home which means more travel costs.

Book costs are dependant on the course he chooses to study but they are expensive. In my son's first year (both 1st & 2nd semesters) we anticipate we've paid around $1,000 and have no idea at the moment how much this will be in the following years. You can buy used books and eBay is quite good to pick up some good deals but there isn't an easy way around this and it's not usually part of the scholarship, or it wasn't part of my son's offer. Maybe others can comment more on this point.

My advice to you would be to carry on as you've already committed a good deal of money up to now but try to plan ahead. You can get cheap deals on flights/trains/ aaccommodationthe further in advance you book. Once there your son needs to network to pick up books from students selling them on as he will save a lot of money this way. Also he'll need spending money for snacks/drinks/socializing. It will be difficult for him to get a job on campus as his football schedule will mean he can't stick to a regular job schedule and he won't be able to work outside the uni as he won't have an American social security number so no one will employ him. Again others might have experienced something different so any comments would be welcomed.

Depending on the uni he might have to buy bedding (around $200 for a dorm pack although he could buy from Walmart and save a few dollars), air-con units, fridge, t.v., etc but depends on the circumstances.

If you sum it all up it's not exactly as good as FP might portray it. It's true that some lads/girls get some great scholarships of 100% but the majority get a percentage less than this. If your son gets an offer in excess of 75% and you plan ahead he should do okay versus costs and aaccommodationfor a UK uni but it all depends on your circumstances and your budget.

I hope this helps but please bear in mind my comments are made with regards to my son and his experiences to date. It's cost us more than we thought but we're still ahead when you weigh up UK costs and the experience can be fantastic for him if he gets into the right frame of mind.

If you need any more advice please just let me know.

Good luck
ah thankyou very much for you reply, this was very interesting,and i will be looking into things.. my son is doing a football course, and really looking forward to it.. im dreading the costs lol but we will hopefully get there as you said in your reply we are already commited.. and thanks because i never thought of all what you said so, i am now prepared to plan ahead after your advice.i have no idea of what sort of books he will need also he is not confident with the sats test even tho he has achieved high grades at school and college..the test is on the 11th feb and he is going to london on the 4th feb..we dont no london so he has to get a b and b the night before lol..do you have any idea what will happen if he cant get home please during the holidays? and can he still get a grant or student loan before hand? as you can tell this is very new to us. thanks again
Old Jan 28th 2011, 2:45 pm
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

ah thankyou very much for you reply, this was very interesting,and i will be looking into things.. my son is doing a football course, and really looking forward to it.. im dreading the costs lol but we will hopefully get there as you said in your reply we are already commited.. and thanks because i never thought of all what you said so, i am now prepared to plan ahead after your advice.i have no idea of what sort of books he will need also he is not confident with the sats test even tho he has achieved high grades at school and college..the test is on the 11th feb and he is going to london on the 4th feb..we dont no london so he has to get a b and b the night before lol..do you have any idea what will happen if he cant get home please during the holidays? and can he still get a grant or student loan before hand? as you can tell this is very new to us. thanks again
My stepson was unable to get one in the UK for study abroad. There are no grants/student loans for international students in the US. Also, he has to have proof of funds in the bank before he can get his student visa.
Old Jan 28th 2011, 7:40 pm
Just Joined

victor-1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tamms_1965 View Post
My stepson was unable to get one in the UK for study abroad. There are no grants/student loans for international students in the US. Also, he has to have proof of funds in the bank before he can get his student visa.
Yes, I agree, it was the same for my son. We didn't find any type of student loan or grant applicable for studying in the USA. Also when he went for his visa interview (in person at the US Embassy in London) he had to show proof (bank statement) that we had at least the first year funds available.

Mercymercy456, it depends on the University as to whether or not your son could stay on campus during holidays. Some might allow it but not the one my lad is at so we have him home at Christmas and Summer and he either goes on holiday (in the US) or stays with his US friends for spring break and thanksgiving as they only last a week each.
Old Jan 31st 2011, 2:05 pm
Just Joined

kahliala is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JohnS View Post
Hi

I’m new to the forum; this is my first post. Please bear with me it’s a long one!

I’ve read threads here about Firstpoint over the last few months (looks like some may perhaps have been deleted?) and felt that now would be an appropriate time to contribute.

I’ve read with interest the comments on Firstpoint, I was particularly interested in Toadster’s comments as he/she is in Scotland (like me) and their son appears to a similar age to mine (1991).

I thought some people may be interested in our experience:

In late 2007 (while in 5th year at High School) my son made it clear that he wished to study in the States hopefully on a soccer scholarship. Of course at that time we knew absolutely nothing about the process, but we quickly leaned. It is my experience that if you have the time to research the subject, you can quickly become very well informed in all relevant aspects of the process, for example:
  1. NAIA, NCAA (three divisions) NJCAA
  2. the relevance of soccer being an equivalency sport in the NCAA, NAIA and NJCAA
  3. Registration with the NCAA
  4. The finer details of amateur status, and how issues such as receiving travel expenses, meals before or after participation or competing with or against professionals can impact on the NCAA process
  5. Strategies to take the SAT (very important)
  6. Availability of academic scholarships and scholarships from other sources
  7. Marketing yourself to appropriate schools, or using a recruitment service to do so
  8. And so much more...

After our initial enquiries, which included making tentative enquiries of over 70universities across the states, together with contacting three recruitment’ companies the UK, we were very much of the opinion that we could ‘do this ourselves’ essentially, we felt that if we were prepared to put the time and effort into marketing our son, then we could achieve an acceptable offer.

However, we were also in the fortunate position that we had some savings set aside (then, not now!) and so we wondered if it would b appropriate to go with a recruitment company while still working to achieve an offer our self. We spoke with the three companies, and came to the conclusion that Firstpoint USA were (by a long way) the most professional. They may have been the most expensive, however many things about them persuaded us that they would be the best choice for our son, so we decided to sign up with firstpoint while still trying to secure an offer directly ourselves.

I’ll come back to our firstpoint experience shortly, however you may be interested to know a little about what my son did himself over the past year to sell himself to Unis in the States. Firstly he identified his own criteria, which took account of size of Uni, standard of soccer programme, academic choices and the size of the town/city.

He then identified and contacted many Coaches to tell them about himself. He developed a short bio which covered not only his athletic and academic achievements but also spoke about him in a wider context, essentially the type of guy he is and the voluntary work he has been involved in. From this contact he developed ongoing communications with several Coaches in different States who expressed an interest in him and asked to be kept informed of any decisions he was thinking of making.

One Uni in particular (a private liberal arts uni in Kentucky) told him they were really interested in him attending – that’s both the International student office and the soccer coach. My son in turn decided that of all the Unis on his list, this one is Kentucky was (by far) his preferred one. To try and cut this part short, the Kentucky Uni invited him to apply for admission, and offered him a scholarship of around 50% of total costs – this did not include any athletic money. The soccer coach kept telling him he was interested and would send an indicative athletic scholarship ‘soon’, however weeks went by and the athletic offer was still not here... in hindsight the coach was most probably trying to recruit others and was holding my son as a second option if his first choice did not happen.

So, back to FirstPoint. The consultant allocated to my son was excellent. He properly managed our expectations of the process correctly and at no time did he indicate that my son would obtain a scholarship offer to cover all costs. Rather he indicated that FirstPoint saw him competing at NCAA lower Div 1 level or most likely NCAA Div 2 level, and that FirstPoint would do their best to ensure as good an offer as possible. When pushed on the likely %, FirstPoint indicated somewhere between 60 to 75% could be possible.

My son played in 4 ‘trial’ games and a showcase game. We were delighted with the footage they produced, and we were equally pleased with the information that went on to their web site about our son. The consultant was in regular contact with our son – so much so that my son, and we as parents now look upon him as a friend. He constantly reminded our son of the importance of applying himself academically and studying for the SAT exam. Perhaps we were lucky with the consultant, but he (Stewart Burke) was a credit to FirstPoint.

Now while we were waiting on the Kentucky coach to contact our son with an athletic offer (as he said he would) my son was contacted out of the blue by another NCAA Div 2 Head Coach (I won’t say where, as what follows could be seen as confidential and I wouldn’t want details of the Coach/Uni put into the public domain without their knowledge or consent). This coach made it clear to my son, that via FirstPoint, he knew all about him as a player and as a prospective student. He also made it absolutely clear that he wanted my son to join his programme, but equally he said that he didn’t want to pressurise him. He agreed to call my son once per week until he had decided, and in the meantime he sent my son lots of info about the Uni and the area. He also sent him a proposed scholarship offer, which I have to say was outstanding, and far better than we had ever anticipated. The Coach explained to my son that he had recruited players from FirstPoint previously (currently 3 British guys in the roster) and had been delighted with the calibre of player and their approach to studies, and that was why the offer was so good. Again to try and cut what is a long story short, my son accepted the offer, signed a national letter of intent, and moves to the states on 6 August for pre season training.

So, what’s the bottom line here? It’s my view that you can most certainly do it yourself. In our case we had a couple of definite verbal offers and of course a firm offer from Kentucky. What I will say though is that we could not have achieved the offer we did without the help of FirstPoint. I now look upon the firstpoint fee as an ‘invest to save’ payment, and am convinced that FirstPoint has saved us £000s in Uni fees, accom and meal expenses which we will not now have to pay.

FirstPoint has worked for us, of that there is no doubt. How well it works for others I’m not sure, but what I will say is that if we had received scholarship offers in the region of 60 to 70% via firstpoint we’d have felt they delivered. I also note that Firstpoint recently announced over 200 athletes going to he States in the Fall via their service. I did think that FirstPoint could have done more to raise awareness of the SAT and to help prepare their clients for the exam, but having said that we took responsibility for that and my son achieved an 'acceptable' score. I think taking responsibility is important.

In conclusion, it’s perhaps also worth making clear that I have no involvement with FirstPoint whatsoever except as a client.

Finally, here’s my advice to anyone reading this who may be thinking of studying in the States with the help of an Athletic scholarship, whether or not you employ firstpoint. You need to differentiate yourself from the competition so you must:

1. Start Early, especially if your looking at NCAA Div1
2. Have a step by step plan
3. Be willing to spend a huge amount of time on research and perhaps work harder than you’ve ever done before
4. Market yourself correctly to coaches – politely and tell them about you as a person
5. Work as a team with your family and anyone else who can help.

I’d be happy to answer any questions on our experience or to share my thoughts on the process, SAT exam etc.

Good luck

John S
Would be interested in more info on firstpointusa.com my youngest has just gone through the physical and academic interviews and is now sat with a very firstpointusa orientated agreement which he is expected to sign. Pay out £2500 and get very little in return. Any help from any one in Scotland who can advise either way as to the legitmatacy of this company. they seem to be just after making money for themselves irespective of the cliensts ability.
Old Jan 31st 2011, 2:08 pm
Just Joined

kahliala is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=mercymercy456;9130091]
Originally Posted by stanno77 View Post
hiii
i have my assement in a few weeks, and i was just woundering what the coaches are looking for, and what kind of things will i be expected to do
cheers[/QUOTE i i no its been a while but how did you get on,, my son is going to london within a wk with fpusa and the expense is getting out of hand, as we live a long way from london and we was not prepared for this,, we have paid our £2500 plus lots more.. could you let me no how you got on thanks a
There looking for good physical skills and academic skills, although having said thay I'm wondering about the skill set thay are looking for. Maybe just parents with deep pockets as they seem to take all comers.
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 2:34 pm
Queen of my house

[QUOTE=kahliala;9141566]
There looking for good physical skills and academic skills, although having said thay I'm wondering about the skill set thay are looking for. Maybe just parents with deep pockets as they seem to take all comers.
I think you are on to something
Old Feb 10th 2011, 4:58 pm
Just Joined

Blueboy9 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, I am currently am working with collegesport usa. Everything seems to be going fine so far. I haven't paid any money yet and not sure how much it is but i think it is £2000 ish. I have been made a formal offer after having been watched to see if i was up to a certain standard. Just wondered if anyone knew any bad things about collegesportusa as i haven't heard much. I have been told i have a high chance of getting a university but are there any catches? money wise? etc

Thanks any help is appreciated

BlueBoy9
Old Feb 21st 2011, 3:00 pm
Just Joined

TOADSTER is an unknown quantity at this point

My son is in his Sophomore year and living the dream! He loves his school and the life he has out there. We got a great deal from our consultant and they got us a great deal at the University too. We pay less than $5000 per year including his accomodation and meal package.

Feel free to email or PM me for more details

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.