Go Back  British Expats > General > The Locker Room
Reload this Page >

Firstpoint USA

Firstpoint USA

Old Oct 22nd 2009, 10:01 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Firstpoint USA

Originally Posted by kenny1256 View Post
Hi everyone. This may sound a bit silly and possibly a stupid question but I've got a mate (James for the sake of this) and he attended a Scottish Uni for 4 years (he's 22/23 can't quite remember). And we were talking about this the other day (I'm a decent american football player, he's a very talented soccer player). Is he now too old to be considered for a US college/university? He has an ordinary degree and wants to go on and do a masters and thought of this as a possible option. Can anyone clarify? (I'll email him about this site so you may get a different user following this queary up!)
Generally the rules are once you have an undergraduate 4-year degree you can no longer play competitive intercollegiate sports (with some technical exceptions). He's welcome to get a Masters degree of course, but as far as getting a scholarship to attend he's probably out of luck. He might consider a 'graduate assistantship' as an assistant coach at some school.
Old Oct 23rd 2009, 11:12 am
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hello199 View Post
Alrite people.
I've been taken on by first point USA, paid the money aswell, but am definetlly regretting it soo far.
I've taken my S.A.T's which they didn't help with at all, no help or idea's at what to do, just do them.
I really believe they take on anyone who pay's. I'm a good player and at a footage game a few months back i played with someone in center mid who had apparently already got a place aswell. He was overweight and unfit, and seemed to have little skill. (I Ran the game, but thats another story )
Currently im letting them do their thing for me but im also looking into getting to the u.s without them, sending e-mails to coaches etc.
Too add my "consultant" is terrible. He has almost no idea who i am ( I do realise he has loadsa people, but almost no contact) and seems to not be bothered at all.
In my opinion, go it your own way, but i'll let you know how it turns out for me with first point.
peace x
"Consultant" overturn is also inevitable. My stepson ended up having three in the less than 18 months.
Old Oct 23rd 2009, 3:33 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TOADSTER View Post

Can anyone advise on if these will be good enough for him to into the Universities in the US?

His prefered degree would be in Law (Criminal Justice).
Sorry to drag up an old post but I wanted to make one point.

If you are looking at sending your kids to the US for their studies, you should talk with them about their post-college plans and whether they want to continue in the USA or return to the UK. In this case, studying Criminal Justice (which is not technically a 'law' degree in the US) might raise some issues later. Is an American Criminal Justice degree of any value to those who hire criminal justice graduates in the UK? Conversely, is there any entity in the US that would hire a criminal justice graduate AND sponsor them for a work visa in the US (answer: probably not as most are local governments and they will NOT sponsor a non-American for a job). So I hope he looks at this course of study with an eye to his long term plans. It's a great degree if he wants to continue in the US and get a law degree (and additional 3 years after school for his JD degree) but I'm not sure what he might do with it otherwise.

Visas to live in the US based on employment are extremely difficult to obtain absent years of experience in a necessary field (think medicine, technology, etc) and even then you have to convince some American employer to pay $5,000-$10,000 in legal fees to get the visa submitted, which is a non-starter in government-related jobs such as law enforcement, criminal forensics, etc.

If you are thinking of having your child attend school in the US, have a good long talk about them concerning their long term plans before they spend a few years getting a degree that may not be helpful to their long term interests.

One other point (and not directed to the OP but a general observation). Coming over on a sports scholarship will require you to maintain a certain academic standard while here. Believe it or not there have been a few folks who have gotten a scholarship and then been quite upset to find out they actually had to attend classes and take exams.
Old Feb 4th 2010, 9:36 pm
Just Joined

hello199 is an unknown quantity at this point

Just thought i'd update you on my situation, i've been passed over for full promotion by First point now, i've had one offer from a division 3 school but no scholarship as div 3 cant offer scholarships.
Also i've had an offer from a Uni in Kentucky, the coach e-mailed me saying he'd heard a lot about me from a promoter and wanted me to be on his team. Considering his offer, decent scholarship (not full, which you can't expect coaches to give you, as there going on pretty much video evidence and thats all).
Also im going to a showcase game in London with First point where apparently coaches will be watching,
so perhaps my first judgement of first point came out of frustration, a lot more seems to be going on now, at least offers are coming in and im hearing from them.
Hope this helps anyone,
hello199
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 10:15 am
Just Joined

JohnS is an unknown quantity at this point

Just as a follow up to my previous post; I understand that Stewart Burke has left, or is about to leave FirstPoint. That’s a huge blow for FirstPoint in my view, as he was wholly professional in all that he did for the company.
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 10:17 am
Just Joined

JohnS is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh, I also meant to say that if any prospective scholarship applicant (for any sport) wants any advice, please PM me, I’d be very happy to give you the benefits of our experience.
Old May 5th 2010, 3:37 pm
Just Joined

TOADSTER is an unknown quantity at this point

Quick update.

My son is due home in 2 weeks after finishing his freshman year. He opted not to pick a major this year leaving his options open. He has had an absolute ball (pardon the punn). We visited his Uni before Christmas and were amazed with the facilities. My son has grown up so much in the past year, so far this has been a great experience for him. His physique and fittness levels are absolutely amazing. Educationally he is keeping his GPA up and has no issues with his elligability.

A few people have PM`d looking for further info, some of your accounts arent set up yet to receive PM so if you can PM me again with an email address or phone number I will get in touch

All the best

Toadster
Old May 10th 2010, 10:37 am
Just Joined

ladypreach will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by victor-1 View Post
Hi all,
Like several people on this thread I seached the Internet for feedback on Firstpoint USA as I was concerned with the high fee they charged essentially for no commitment.

My son is a County level football player and has good o-level grades so we applied for Firstpoint as he wanted to consider a soccer scholarship in the USA. He went to Stamford Bridge in London for the interview & presentation and then a few weeks later he attended the assessment match. During the Firstpoint interview we were told that if he was successful they would give an assessment of his abilities and advise what level of football and academic he could expect to achieve in the US. They also told us of the £2500 fee for their marketing services (something we hadn't been aware of in checking them out through their website). They also said that if my son was accepted into the 'chosen 400' then they would guarantee an offer of a scholarship.

Well he was accepted and received the confirming letter and Firstpoint contract and a request to pay the £2,500 within four weeks. No mention was made of his assessment or what level they thought he would be able to achieve. In reading the contract it became very clear that this superseded anything that had been previously said or promised and made very clear that Firstpoint were in no way providing a scholarship, giving a guarantee of a scholarship or ultimately of providing anything at all. Now like most on this thread I don't have a spare £2,500 to spend on a promise or a possibility so I had some concerns.

By coincidence I found another site with a company that operates on a non-profit basis and operates for less that 1/3 of the fee charged by Firstpoint. They deal only with football and are affiliated with the English Schools Football Association and British Colleges Sport. I sent them an e-mail and the Director called me within an hour to introduce himself and his company. You can find them on the web under 'Pass4soccer'.

At the moment we've send the membership fee of £25 and my son is currently waiting to be informed of the assessment dates. I feel that for another £25 it's worth exploring another alternative as there is a big difference between £2,500 and £775 for the same service.

If I could give any advice it would be to look into this as early as possible and be aware that ultimately the only people who can guarantee scholarships are the Colleges or Universities themselves. All Firstpoint or others can do is to help bring you to more people's attention but as several on this thread have said, you can do this yourself if you are committed enough.

At this time my son hasn't accepted the Firstpoint offer and we haven't gone far enough with Pass4soccer to see how they measure up but I'll let you know.

Finally I would like to state that I don't have anything against Firstpoint, I am 100% convinced that they do place kids into scholarship programs and they are good at what they do but I'm not sure what quality of service an individual gets for the high marketing fee. It is therefore possible that you can pay your money and get nothing - that's what it clearly states in the contract. I feel that if they offered a 50% initial payment and then the balance to be paid on provision of an offer I would have felt much more confident in their commitment to my son and in their marketing abilities.

I would state that I am just a parent looking for the right opportunity for my son and I have no affilation with either Firstpoint or Pass4soccer. The comments I'm making are my honest opinions and hopefully will help to make others aware of what you get for your money.

Good luck.
hi im a female lookingt to get a scolarship and i have applied for both first point and pass4soccer but have not paid anything yet.

how did it go between your son and pass4soccer?
Old May 11th 2010, 8:58 am
Just Joined

Ladypreach you have PM
Old May 12th 2010, 9:49 pm
Just Joined

jcosta is an unknown quantity at this point

I suppose it depends with consultant you go with. I went with david beany for first point usa and got through etc etc and he was great..

I didnt pay the £2500 because i had never played in high level since i live like really far off anywhere or anything good lol and I was only 15 at the time.
I got a job now and I'm starting to save up for the £2500 which should take me a couple of months and I will also start gym again I'm now 17 and I believe that my time is getting to an end with the chances plus the £2500 would always be a gamble anyways so I will pay if I get in on the match day again since my dream is to go to america and play what like.

Does anyone else know any good places I could check out for scholarships?
Old May 26th 2010, 7:05 pm
Just Joined

wilsinho is an unknown quantity at this point

Guys,

I thought I'd give my opinions of Firstpoint USA after having personally dealt with them when I did my soccer scholarship back in 2008, all I can say about them is,

*DO NOT USE THEM*

They are a money making organisation who have recently spiralled out of control, simply they are only interested in your $$$/£££.

They'll sweeten you by offering you all these services (90% of which you could do yourself) and charge you an absolute arm and a leg for the pleasure.

Once your out there, they coulndn't give two hoots about you unless you go onto become an MLS superstar in which case they'll use you as an example of how successful they are.

When Andrew Kean first started the company he had a very small client base of athletes, now he and his massive staff roster have literally hundreds of athletes to sieve through and try gain a scholarship.

Don't forget, once you pay your £2500-3000 to firstpoint USA you also have to pay for;

SAT test, SAT books, VISA, VISA travel, flights and then your tuition fee's which can cost £3000 a year easily, depending on how good a scholarship offer you get.

Don't get me wrong I had a great time out there and do not regret it, but they're are far better agencies out there to sign up with who actually have your interests at heart and will keep in constant contact.

I fully reccommend http://www.collegesportusa.com/, which is headed up by David Binnie (who used to work at Firstpoint) and Kevin Drinkell.

These guys only want quality players to offer you a fantastic scholarship experience.

Any more info required PM me
Old Jul 5th 2010, 3:44 pm
Just Joined

I have to agree with the above about the reasons why not to use firstpoint.

The guys I used were "the Scholarship Co" where I received a first class and personal service. My son received a great scholarship deal at a good school and I cant praise the service highly enough. There were no hidden costs and any personal costs (visa etc) were fully explained before signing up.

They arranged conference calls with coaches and the coaches seemed to know the guys pretty well and trusted their judgement on players abilities and character.

[email protected]
Old Jul 5th 2010, 6:31 pm
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wilsinho View Post
Guys,

I thought I'd give my opinions of Firstpoint USA after having personally dealt with them when I did my soccer scholarship back in 2008, all I can say about them is,

*DO NOT USE THEM*

They are a money making organisation who have recently spiralled out of control, simply they are only interested in your $$$/£££.

They'll sweeten you by offering you all these services (90% of which you could do yourself) and charge you an absolute arm and a leg for the pleasure.

Once your out there, they coulndn't give two hoots about you unless you go onto become an MLS superstar in which case they'll use you as an example of how successful they are.

When Andrew Kean first started the company he had a very small client base of athletes, now he and his massive staff roster have literally hundreds of athletes to sieve through and try gain a scholarship.

Don't forget, once you pay your £2500-3000 to firstpoint USA you also have to pay for;

SAT test, SAT books, VISA, VISA travel, flights and then your tuition fee's which can cost £3000 a year easily, depending on how good a scholarship offer you get.

Don't get me wrong I had a great time out there and do not regret it, but they're are far better agencies out there to sign up with who actually have your interests at heart and will keep in constant contact.
I agree.
Old Jul 9th 2010, 12:05 pm
Just Joined

victor-1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ladypreach View Post
hi im a female lookingt to get a scolarship and i have applied for both first point and pass4soccer but have not paid anything yet.

how did it go between your son and pass4soccer?
Hi Lady preacher,

Sorry for the delayed reply but just happened to check this thread again and saw your question.

Things have moved on quite a way since my last post. My son signed up with Pass4soccer and paid the £775 fee. He attended a trials day where they had around 40+ coaches over from the US. He played two games of 45 minutes duration and at the end of the day talked to seven coaches from NCAA 1 & 2 leagues.

Pass4soccer also posted his video on their website and this gained further interest from another 5 coaches but 2 of these were from NCAA3 which doesn't offer any scholarships.

It became pretty obvious through ongoing correspondence who was really interested and who wasn't and he narowed his choice down to two (one NCAA1 & one NCAA2) who showed real interest in him. Ultimately for us the scholarship was so important as the cost of the US education meant that it had to be a good offer for us to consider it.

He decided to accept the offer from the NCAA2 College as this was the best deal financially and the coach was fantastic with his follow up to all our questions. He's due to leave next month and is really looking forward to the experience.

The scolarship has taken care of around 90% of the overall costs and includes lodgings, food, insurance etc. Extra costs to us are the additional 10% education cost, visa fees (around US$400 plus travel costs to London for the interview), return flight to the US at £800, college housing deposit at US$500, bedding at $200, book costs estimated to be around US$1500 and other incidental set up costs (electrical items for the US, mobile phone, spending money, etc) which we've allowed another US$3,000 for in the first year.

So even with a good offer there are still add-on costs to consider and there is a lot of paperwork to get through but we found it fairly logical. A lot depends on the Uni as they can help with so much advice and assistance which in our case we found really useful.

Registering with the NCAA Eligibility Centre is also fairly easy but time consuming and you have to do the SAT test and submit the results of this to the NCAA. You also have to send certified copies of your UK results to them through your current school.

We found Pass4soccer to offer a great service, they hosted the trials day superbly and were always there to answer e-mails or phone calls with advice so I'd have no hesitiation to recommend them to you. Look them up on the web and give Barry or Daniel a call and you'll see what I mean. They don't do things for you but will guide you through a lot of the process.

If you need any more advice just let me know and I hope this helps.

Good Luck!
Old Jul 9th 2010, 12:17 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TOADSTER View Post
Ladypreach you have PM
she wont be able to read it ... far too new

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.