Go Back  British Expats > General > The Locker Room
Reload this Page >

Firstpoint USA

Firstpoint USA

Old Jan 29th 2008, 1:05 pm
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Firstpoint USA

Has anyone heard of this organization. Is it a good way for a young athlete to come to the US for an education? Just wondering because my step-son is in the interview process with them now and will be playing an 'audition' game this week in London. His father is here in US with me, his USC wife, and step-son lives in England with his mom.

Thanks in advance.
Old Feb 14th 2008, 11:43 am
Just Joined

jamal20175 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Firstpoint USA

i know that this was posted sum time back but i wanted to know how your son got on with the scholoship is he over ther nw and how did te process go on after the assessment match?
Old Feb 15th 2008, 5:18 pm
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jamal20175 View Post
i know that this was posted sum time back but i wanted to know how your son got on with the scholoship is he over ther nw and how did te process go on after the assessment match?
He got bumped from the assessment match as they had "overbooked" for players. He was very disappointed, but he just has to wait for another match to be set up. I'll let you know.
Old Feb 15th 2008, 10:17 pm
Just Joined

oh ryte well let me know wot happens ive had my match about two weeks ago and passed the assesment they said they only take on 200 people so hes gotta be on point, gud luk
Old Feb 20th 2008, 4:18 pm
Queen of my house

oh ryte well let me know wot happens ive had my match about two weeks ago and passed the assesment they said they only take on 200 people so hes gotta be on point, gud luk
My stepson has his match March 8. Do you have any words of advice for him for the match? Thanks....
Old Feb 20th 2008, 4:32 pm
Just Joined

yh well you have to try to be on time lol i gt ther like 20mins late wich was a not good lol, bt er make sure that ur load and can hold up the ball, also that you can play your position well, but if ur not a load player u will not get a pass trust me so shout as much as u can and they look for fitness so dnt stop runnin tell him gud luck kk
Old Mar 11th 2008, 7:10 pm
Queen of my house

yh well you have to try to be on time lol i gt ther like 20mins late wich was a not good lol, bt er make sure that ur load and can hold up the ball, also that you can play your position well, but if ur not a load player u will not get a pass trust me so shout as much as u can and they look for fitness so dnt stop runnin tell him gud luck kk
Well, we just found out he has made it through! Now he has to start saving. Keep me posted on where you end up going. Good luck!
Old Mar 17th 2008, 11:42 pm
Just Joined

stanno77 is an unknown quantity at this point

hiii
i have my assement in a few weeks, and i was just woundering what the coaches are looking for, and what kind of things will i be expected to do
cheers
Old Mar 18th 2008, 1:47 pm
Queen of my house

Originally Posted by stanno77 View Post
hiii
i have my assement in a few weeks, and i was just woundering what the coaches are looking for, and what kind of things will i be expected to do
cheers
Look at Jamal's post.."yh well you have to try to be on time lol i gt ther like 20mins late wich was a not good lol, bt er make sure that ur load and can hold up the ball, also that you can play your position well, but if ur not a load player u will not get a pass trust me so shout as much as u can and they look for fitness so dnt stop runnin tell him gud luck kk"

My stepson was very vocal/heard my his teammates. He also tends to 'organize' everyone he plays with (he coaches young kids). He got their on time and made sure he watched the match before him. He was very active, also.

Good luck!
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 11:00 am
Just Joined

TOADSTER is an unknown quantity at this point

My son has recently passed his trial and been accepted onto First Points program. We are in Scotland.

If anyone has any feed back on first point, ie their success rate on having students placed and on what level of scholarship it would be much appreciated. Also what colleges seem to be their target areas. Any hints and tips on the SAT would also be greatly appreciated. My son has passed his Highers with good grades so we are hoping for a decent score.

I will update with our experiences as we move through the process.

Thanks in advance
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 1:47 pm
Queen of my house

Originally Posted by TOADSTER View Post
My son has recently passed his trial and been accepted onto First Points program. We are in Scotland.

If anyone has any feed back on first point, ie their success rate on having students placed and on what level of scholarship it would be much appreciated. Also what colleges seem to be their target areas. Any hints and tips on the SAT would also be greatly appreciated. My son has passed his Highers with good grades so we are hoping for a decent score.

I will update with our experiences as we move through the process.

Thanks in advance
Hi, I teach high school in the U.S. and most of my students (and both of my own kids) take the SAT at least one time. My kids purchased a study guide book (Princeton Review, Barron's, etc.) that helped them prepare, and both performed well. You can also get software programs from the library or Amazon.com. Here in the States, there are companies that offer prep. courses for the test.

Make sure he takes practice exams before the real one. If he is taking a computer-based test, make sure he practices on a computer. If he is taking a tradition pen/paper.........

Good luck,
Tamms

P.S. My stepson is getting ready to take his SAT, also.
Old Sep 4th 2008, 9:16 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the reply Tamms. I will try and find the study books over here in the UK. Good luck to your step-son!
Old Sep 4th 2008, 9:19 am
Just Joined

Tamms,

Could you possibly give me the names of the software programs that are available.

Would you mind if I PM`d you for a little advice?

Thanks again
Old Sep 4th 2008, 11:18 am
Queen of my house

Kaplan makes a program that I found at Amazon.com. The link is http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw...d-keywords=SAT.

Hopefully that works. You may PM if you like.

Best of luck,
Tamms
Old Oct 2nd 2008, 4:41 pm
Queen of my house

A great website to do practice tests is www.learningexpresslibrary.com Students & adults can take all kinds of free practice tests. You have to set up a username & password.

Go to “College Entrance Exams” when you get to the home page then scroll down until you get to SAT.

Tamms

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.