Euro 2012

Old Jun 22nd 2012, 9:04 am
Yeah that guy.

Captain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Euro 2012

Was listening to this from The Guardian about why Ronaldo is unfairly tainted with an argument that unless he wins the Euro's or personally shows up Messi in a game then he can't be considered truly great - all because he's an arrogant, preening twat. I like how they look at how he's very odd - in that weird Balotelli way - that when good things happen he seems to behave in anger or do things that don't show any satisfaction at all. Especially if a teammate scores. Whereas Messi seems all cutesy and happy.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/b...weekly-podcast

He's had a good tournament. Personally I think Ronaldo is an utter beast of a player AND a massive cock. Nothing weird about that. But it is interesting that so many people hate him because of how massively self-absorbed he is, and that he clearly hates Messi for being adored.

Mind you there are plenty of other nob-ends that people seem to be able to get over to appreciate. Cantona was every bit as arrogant (and not as good as CR7 is) but I dislike him more than I do Ronaldo for some odd reason. And the three most arrogant players I can think of (offhand) are Stefan Effenberg, Matthaus and Hristo Stoichkov. Enormous wankers the lot of them - and all three were ****ing amazing.

Which is all why Zidane is easily the best player ever.
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 9:43 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

I listened to the podcast this morning as I have throughout the tournament (and every Tuesday and Friday during the season ) and I have to agree with the above. Although not Cantona, he was a god
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 10:49 am

ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Herpes Simplex View Post
Mind you there are plenty of other nob-ends that people seem to be able to get over to appreciate. Cantona was every bit as arrogant (and not as good as CR7 is) but I dislike him more than I do Ronaldo for some odd reason.
If I came home and Cantona was tapping Mrs E, I'd tuck him in and bring him a cup of tea and a biscuit.

Messi v Ronaldo depends on your point of view I guess - I would have CR back for United before Messi. I think Ronaldo is better in an average team, and Messi is better in a brilliant team, - look how Messi stuggles with the Argies yet is unplayable for Barca. It's an impossible argument until one of them single-handedly wins a world cup like Maradona did in '86. Messi in Brazil 2014 will be interesting to watch.

Anyway - good luck to the Greeks tonight. The little rascals deserve some joy in their lives.

By the way - Gav - changed my avatar just for you.
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 1:05 pm
Grace and gratitude

pommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond repute

The shots of Figo last night were great.....I used to love watching him in the Euros and WC and miss seeing him.

Ronaldo was epic........as was Moutinho - Spurs need to sign him and quick!
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 2:30 pm
Yeah that guy.

Captain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ededed View Post
If I came home and Cantona was tapping Mrs E, I'd tuck him in and bring him a cup of tea and a biscuit.

Messi v Ronaldo depends on your point of view I guess - I would have CR back for United before Messi. I think Ronaldo is better in an average team, and Messi is better in a brilliant team, - look how Messi stuggles with the Argies yet is unplayable for Barca. It's an impossible argument until one of them single-handedly wins a world cup like Maradona did in '86. Messi in Brazil 2014 will be interesting to watch.

Anyway - good luck to the Greeks tonight. The little rascals deserve some joy in their lives.

By the way - Gav - changed my avatar just for you.
Lovely. I guess I should say I don't dislike him all that much either. Not really the sort of thing that raises my ire. I'm more annoyed the bastard quit playing when he clearly still was much better than everyone else playing at the time. And I greatly enjoy the fact that nobody else comes within a mile of rattling Fergie. Ince and Keane were monster players - but Cantona truly didn't give a ****.

Still - he was no Duncan Ferguson was he? And Big Dunc didn't appear arrogant at all. Humble and a ****ing lunatic at the same time.
Old Jun 23rd 2012, 1:07 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Why is it ok to compare Ronaldo to Messi,
but not Milner to Messi?

it's ok to like both players and think they're f**king brilliant no?
Old Jun 23rd 2012, 1:42 am
Bob
SUPER MODERATOR

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc View Post
Why is it ok to compare Ronaldo to Messi,
but not Milner to Messi?

it's ok to like both players and think they're f**king brilliant no?
Because Milner isn't in the same league?

Don't particularly like either of them tbh, but that doesn't mean they aren't great goal scorers.
Old Jun 24th 2012, 8:20 am
Grace and gratitude

pommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond repute

'The Spurs Effect' - Blanc has 23 unbeaten games in a row, gets linked with the Spurs job, and then promptly loses.....twice! Merde alors!!
Old Jun 24th 2012, 2:59 pm
Bob
SUPER MODERATOR

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Most boring game of the competition yesterday...
Old Jun 25th 2012, 12:49 am
Yeah that guy.

So England do it again. All in all it was a weird tournament for England as nobody gave them any chance of doing anything and they got to the QFs as group winners. Let's do a player review.

Joe Hart - It's actually really nice to know we genuinely have a very good goalkeeper again. Safe as houses and kept England in a few games there.

Ashley Cole - Was his usual reliable quality self - but then showed up with a twat's haircut against Italy. You aren't allowed to win games with a haircut like that. Tame penalty too. He should have visualized bags of cash in the goal and then he'd never miss.

Jolean Lescott - Had a good tournament I thought. Very organized and efficient. Didn't make me pine for Rio Ferdinand's asinine long balls (steady on) at all.

John Terry - Played decently enough except looked awfully slow at times. I'm betting this is his last role in an England shirt. He had a few of those stereotypical "oh noes! it bounced over my head!!" moments too. At least we didn't have to endure his banal EBJT Captain's press conferences where he tries to make out he really runs the whole show. And now we get to watch him proven as a racist in a few weeks as well.

Glen Johnson - Probably our best player I thought. Which surprised me a lot. Very confident with the ball and had some nice defensive performances. If only he wasn't an utter bell-end off the field.

James Milner - Hodgson says he was the lynchpin for this particular midfield. Works endlessly - like Dirk Kuyt - without any seeming end product but does what he's told. Most people I know thought he played shit and wanted Walcott/Chamberlain on. I bet he getst he Big Club treatment next season when he leaves Man City for a mid-table club and therefore is deemed too shit for England. Unless he ends up at Liverpool obviously.

Stevie Me - Did the same thing in each game - played refreshingly well for 15 minutes and then started twatting the ball to people wearing different clothes to him. Kudos for staying in the system though - he hasn't done that ever. It was just annoying that he faded so badly. How can someone so highly rated never ever control a game?

Scott Parker- Irritatingly dull. He just looked tired to me. Busy tackling but his passing was woeful as well. Even his hair looked overrated.

Ashley Young - Woeful in every game. Did absolutely bugger all, had an attrocious touch and I can't understand the point of his selection. That penalty was awful. He didn't once look at the goal. Annoyingly I caught The MOTD tosspots claiming he'd had an excellent season - which was odd because I thought he'd been naff and was marked by the amount of diving he does.

Danny Welbeck - One good game with classy goal. I often forgot he was on the field mind. Seems like a nice bloke but his link-up with Rooney in particular was awful.

Wayne Rooney - Pitiful. I think we can conclude that he is very poor as an international player and this constant attempt to fit a team around him is pointless. Not saying there is a huge pool of talent to choose from but his return for England is shit and players like Grant Holt would at least have been available for the group games. Also looked really unfit and strangely fat. I did though realize that he now looks like the love child of a badly-beaten Matt Damon and that freak from The Goonies. Perhaps he's like Samson in reverse and the more hair he has the weaker he gets?

Andy Carroll - Did alright but in the way you'd expect him to. Which was he didn't do much different than was expected. I still can't stand how much he yells at referees. Still what I liked best was the way pundits started hoping he'd play against teams because he's sooooo good. I witnessed the bizzare assertion of Glen Hoddle and Terry Venables doing punditry for the Italy game - stating Italy would be terrified of someone like him - claiming Italians famously can't handle a big fella. They even mentioned Mark Hately as proof. How did someone go from having a woeful season to being spoken of as the kind of player England can use to terrify much much better players?

Theo Walcott - Had one very good game as an impact sub. I still can't help thinking he may be snapped in half at any moment though.

Oxlade-Chamberlain - He can run really fast! Still not good after running very fast. He does have potential - but quite why someone would be picked for England after 5 games at club level hasn't been explained to me.

Jordan Henderson - This man played in the QF of an international tournament after what he really would hope is the worst season he ever has in his career. I have heard that he is enormously professional (ie - not like other footballers at all) and this helps him greatly. Good on him. But he shouldn't have been anywhere near the squad after that season - let alone playing in a QF against Italy. As Zargof put it on FB when he came on, "England down to 10 men then..?"

Last edited by Captain Cheesestick; Jun 25th 2012 at 12:52 am.
Old Jun 25th 2012, 5:31 am

ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute

Stevie Me - Did the same thing in each game - played refreshingly well for 15 minutes and then started twatting the ball to people wearing different clothes to him.

Ashley Young - Woeful in every game. Did absolutely bugger all, had an attrocious touch and I can't understand the point of his selection. That penalty was awful. He didn't once look at the goal. Annoyingly I caught The MOTD tosspots claiming he'd had an excellent season - which was odd because I thought he'd been naff and was marked by the amount of diving he does.
He's had about 3 good games for United. Rubbish. I know Ox has played 5 games for Arsenal, but he showed more for England in 1 game than Young did in 4. Dreadful.

Wayne Rooney - Pitiful. I think we can conclude that he is very poor as an international player and this constant attempt to fit a team around him is pointless. Not saying there is a huge pool of talent to choose from but his return for England is shit and players like Grant Holt would at least have been available for the group games.
I think the problem Woy has is Rooney is unquestionably England's best club player and if he leaves him out and loses, he'll get slaughtered by the press. He'll end up being one of the top 3 scorers for England of all time, more by virtue of playing lots of games as a lone striker and being good enough to score against the likes of Hungary and Belgium.

Andy Carroll - Did alright but in the way you'd expect him to. They even mentioned Mark Hately as proof. How did someone go from having a woeful season to being spoken of as the kind of player England can use to terrify much much better players?
Mark Hately. I've been trying to figure out who Carroll reminds me of. He is typical of England, and the standard of footballers we have. Shit.

Oxlade-Chamberlain - He can run really fast! Still not good after running very fast. He does have potential - but quite why someone would be picked for England after 5 games at club level hasn't been explained to me.
As above - he'd be in my team ahead of Young. I think he could be a real star for us - although once he gets found out and just herded into the corners he will end up a busted flush.

Jordan Henderson - This man played in the QF of an international tournament after what he really would hope is the worst season he ever has in his career.
If Jordan Henderson can play for England, then so can I.

So, we lose again on penalties. I don't blame Hodgson - he can't make a silk purse from a sow's ear. I don't blame Young for missing the penalty (I wouldn't take one for a wheelbarrow of cash) - at least he smashed it and 3 inches lower and he's a hero. I don't blame Cole for missing either - although Buffon could have walked over and kicked it away it was so soft. We just need to face facts. Collectively, English footballers aren't as good as Spanish, Italian, German or Portugese ones. Pirlo v Parker. That's the difference. And sadly, it will be 30 years and a genetic miracle that provides us with 22 players of a good enough standard until we can be serious contenders for a major honour. That, or a very lucky draw and 3 or 4 backs to the wall sneaky wins.

I think Germany will win it now. Bastards.
Old Jun 25th 2012, 9:11 am
Grace and gratitude

Don't shoot me down, but why on earth did JD not get a go? Spurs have won a few games taking him off the bench for the last 10 minutes, worth a punt, surely....and he would have nailed a pen.
Old Jun 25th 2012, 9:19 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

So, we lose again on penalties. I don't blame Hodgson - he can't make a silk purse from a sow's ear. I don't blame Young for missing the penalty (I wouldn't take one for a wheelbarrow of cash) - at least he smashed it and 3 inches lower and he's a hero. I don't blame Cole for missing either - although Buffon could have walked over and kicked it away it was so soft. We just need to face facts. Collectively, English footballers aren't as good as Spanish, Italian, German or Portugese ones. Pirlo v Parker. That's the difference. And sadly, it will be 30 years and a genetic miracle that provides us with 22 players of a good enough standard until we can be serious contenders for a major honour. That, or a very lucky draw and 3 or 4 backs to the wall sneaky wins.

I think Germany will win it now. Bastards.
+1
Old Jun 25th 2012, 9:34 am

Originally Posted by pommybird View Post
Don't shoot me down, but why on earth did JD not get a go?
Judi Dench?
Old Jun 25th 2012, 9:41 am
Grace and gratitude

Judi Dench?

(He would have come on and scored a hat trick, anyway he couldn't have been any worse than your Wayne )

P.S Saw this line today 'Where's the guy from the Mars Bar advert when you need him?'

For those of you who've not seen it....

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.