Go Back  British Expats > General > The Locker Room
Reload this Page >

England - World's Top ranked cricket team!

England - World's Top ranked cricket team!

Old Aug 15th 2011, 10:25 am
Banned

Wanderer5 is a name known to allWanderer5 is a name known to allWanderer5 is a name known to allWanderer5 is a name known to allWanderer5 is a name known to allWanderer5 is a name known to allWanderer5 is a name known to allWanderer5 is a name known to allWanderer5 is a name known to allWanderer5 is a name known to allWanderer5 is a name known to all
Default England - World's Top ranked cricket team!

Its happened!!

England now officially top the World's cricket team rankings - and they didn't have to resurrect WG Grace to do it!

A whole host of factors have got them this far: investment in producing better players, finding guys with the attitude and skills, state of the pitches, fitness of players, state of the opposition - and thats just for starters!!

I wonder: how long will they stay "World's Top Team"?

...until they become complacent..? or until Australia come storming back..? Or....?
Old Aug 15th 2011, 9:23 pm
Just Joined

mandsman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: England - World's Top ranked cricket team!

Thank Michael Vaughan, a brilliant inspiring leader,and batsman,and Freddie who showed the meaning of the word Passion.
Old Aug 16th 2011, 9:38 am
Banned

Wanderer5 is a name known to allWanderer5 is a name known to allWanderer5 is a name known to allWanderer5 is a name known to allWanderer5 is a name known to allWanderer5 is a name known to allWanderer5 is a name known to allWanderer5 is a name known to allWanderer5 is a name known to allWanderer5 is a name known to allWanderer5 is a name known to all

...Indeed. A pity both these guys' international careers were cut short somewhat by injury/health problems of one sort or another
Old Aug 16th 2011, 12:05 pm
Just Joined

mandsman is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes sad, but what pleasure it was to watch Michael Vaughan drive through the covers, poetry in motion,of the present team obviously K P is the man to watch, but i just love to se the skipper do a square cut , unbelievable balance, and power with grace. Long my they reign cant wait to get the Aussies back, and pound their asses again.
Old Aug 17th 2011, 6:58 am
BE Forum Addict

JohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Wanderer5 View Post
Its happened!!

England now officially top the World's cricket team rankings - and they didn't have to resurrect WG Grace to do it!

A whole host of factors have got them this far: investment in producing better players, finding guys with the attitude and skills, state of the pitches, fitness of players, state of the opposition - and thats just for starters!!

...until they become complacent..? or until Australia come storming back..? Or....?
I dont think they are getting enough credit either - Aussie press just cant bring themselves to say that England are better and from What i can gather the Indian press are tearing strips off india again witout acknowleding that England have made india look bad
Old Aug 17th 2011, 6:57 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by JohnoBronco View Post
I dont think they are getting enough credit either - Aussie press just cant bring themselves to say that England are better and from What i can gather the Indian press are tearing strips off india again witout acknowleding that England have made india look bad
I always thought most countries reserved newspaper banner headlines for declarations of war: but in Australia, it was for when Australia were beating England 'black and blue' in cricket

Me - I'm still emotional when I see replays of Ian Botham snatching victory from the jaws of defeat in 1981.
Old Aug 19th 2011, 4:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Macca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wanderer5 View Post
Its happened!!

It's been a long process that started with Duncan Fletcher's appointment in 1999 and the changes he brought in - central contracts for the best players, sports and performance scientists and taking a tough line with loafers and their sense of entitlement. Andy Flower has built on this change and appointing Strauss as Captain was a good move - ruthless, but well liked in the dressing room. Add this to the money flowing into the game and how much is being spent on development and it's not hard to see why England are doing so well.

Definitely a lesson in all of this for the nancy boys at the FA.
Old Aug 24th 2011, 2:30 pm
Banned

I reckon a lot of recent England football managers have completely underestimated the power and influence of the 'big beast' premiership managers (Ferguson and Wenger, for example)

As for English cricket, I was in dear old blighty last week and some of the newspaper columns carried swaggering pieces along the lines 'Can't anybody give us a game, anymore?' So nice to read!!
Old Aug 30th 2011, 11:59 am
Banned

Confirmed hard man, and unbeaten former England captain, Brian 'I don't bruise easily' Close, reckons this England team is not the greatest ever

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/cricket/14504753.stm

I was a young lad when watching the 3rd Test, England v Pakistan, in 1967. England were well on the way to defeating a poor Pakistani team, when a telegram was delivered, on the field, to Brian Close. Afterwards, Pakistan's batsmen started playing lovely strokes, exciting their fans (but they still lost)

The England captain declined to say what the telegram said - but there was a belief among some people that it was an order that England should give their opponents a 'run for their money'

...just a bit of sporting trivia cum 'conspiracy theory'
Old Dec 28th 2011, 3:10 am
Banned

Yummycake is an unknown quantity at this point

All luck
Old Dec 28th 2011, 4:36 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yummycake View Post
All luck
Insightful comment, I look forward to more of your posts.
Old Dec 28th 2011, 4:53 am
Banned

Yummycake is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by DeadVim View Post
Insightful comment, I look forward to more of your posts.
Old Dec 28th 2011, 5:06 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yummycake View Post
They certainly are worth waiting for, ever thought of writing for Wisden?
Old Feb 22nd 2012, 9:39 am
Forum Regular

Lord_GG_Byron will become famous soon enough

Congrats England. Though, I have to admit, after 8 months of living in London, I could still not figure out, the scoring system of cricket. Loved rugby though.