Go Back  British Expats > General > The Locker Room
Reload this Page >

Cricket - surely one of the best-ever tests

Cricket - surely one of the best-ever tests

Old Feb 16th 2019, 4:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Cricket - surely one of the best-ever tests

I would dearly love to have seen this wonderful achievement: a record last-wicket stand of 78 to allow the underdogs to beat South Africa in Durban. Here's a link to the Cricinfo Report. All I could do was to follow the commentary on Cricinfo during my waking hours. The result was also very good for Test cricket, in its battle against the shorter forms of cricket.
Recent Match Report - South Africa vs Sri Lanka 1st Test 2019 | ESPNcricinfo.com
Old Feb 17th 2019, 5:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cricket - surely one of the best-ever tests

Here's another report on the match - a wee bit hysterical, admittedly; but SL has been pounded up and down all over the place in recent times, so we can forgive them, I think. The hero's sporting idol is Ranatunga, it's said, so he's in good company!
Kusal Perera defies odds to tame Steyn's South Africa | ESPNcricinfo.com
Old Aug 25th 2019, 8:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

el collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Cricket - surely one of the best-ever tests

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow View Post
I would dearly love to have seen this wonderful achievement: a record last-wicket stand of 78 to allow the underdogs to beat South Africa in Durban. Here's a link to the Cricinfo Report. All I could do was to follow the commentary on Cricinfo during my waking hours. The result was also very good for Test cricket, in its battle against the shorter forms of cricket.
Recent Match Report - South Africa vs Sri Lanka 1st Test 2019 | ESPNcricinfo.com
hi GORDAN barlow, hope you saw england today, Shirley the best test ever,ben stokes genius
Old Aug 25th 2019, 10:42 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

What a remarkable game of cricket! I haven't paced around my front room like that since Ashley Giles and Hoggard chased down the Aussie's in 2005.

This seemed even more unlikely when they needed 78 with one wicket to go.

That reverse sweep for 6 was simply pure genius and Stokes really took the fight to Australia despite such insurmountable odds.

This paragraph from Andy Bull in the Guardian really captures the feeling:

Same old England. Everyone who has ever watched them play knew which way the game was going. Not that they’d given up on the Western Terrace, where, after five hours of rounds, they were chanting‚“stand up, if you love Ben Stokes,” and “shoes off, if you love Ben Stokes”, in defiance, rather than celebration, hope rather than expectation. Of course it’s the hope that gets you in the end. By the time Leach arrived, everyone else had given up, England still needed another 73 runs. What happened next made no damn sense. Not by my logic, yours, or anyone else’s but his. The game isn’t supposed to work this way, outside of the daydreams we have when we’re kids first falling in love with it.
​​​​​​
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/bl...shes-andy-bull

I'm too young to remember Botham. For me once you factor in Stoke's bowling in the second innings then this is the best individual test match performance I've seen by an England player.
Old Aug 25th 2019, 11:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by JamesM View Post
I'm too young to remember Botham. For me once you factor in Stoke's bowling in the second innings then this is the best individual test match performance I've seen by an England player.
I remember Botham, and watched his famous innings on TV. The man just went berserk, as I remember it. Stokes didn't go berserk, which makes him the better player. He knew what he was doing the whole time - every single shot, pretty much. I doubt if we'll ever see a better innings than his. (Also, he was under more pressure than Botham was. Taking all into account, there is no proper comparison.)

Re that "Botham's match": my abiding memory is Bob Willis bowling his heart out in the last innings to take 8 wickets for 43 or something stupid - and being overlooked for Man of the Match! It's a tough game, Bob!
Old Aug 25th 2019, 11:32 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow View Post
I remember Botham, and watched his famous innings on TV. The man just went berserk, as I remember it. Stokes didn't go berserk, which makes him the better player. He knew what he was doing the whole time - every single shot, pretty much. I doubt if we'll ever see a better innings than his. (Also, he was under more pressure than Botham was. Taking all into account, there is no proper comparison.)

Re that "Botham's match": my abiding memory is Bob Willis bowling his heart out in the last innings to take 8 wickets for 43 or something stupid - and being overlooked for Man of the Match! It's a tough game, Bob!
Just heard via a SkySports podcast Bob Willis saying that Stokes was better too.

​​​​​​https://www.skysports.com/cricket/ne...eadingley-1981

Last edited by JamesM; Aug 25th 2019 at 11:42 pm.
Old Aug 26th 2019, 1:16 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Did you ever see the Aussie TV series "Bodyline"? Well worth a watch and the cricket itself is very well dramatised.
All 7 episodes are on youtube.

Old Aug 26th 2019, 9:19 am
BE Enthusiast

el collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Cricket - surely one of the best-ever tests

What a remarkable game of cricket! I haven't paced around my front room like that since Ashley Giles and Hoggard chased down the Aussie's in 2005.

This seemed even more unlikely when they needed 78 with one wicket to go.

That reverse sweep for 6 was simply pure genius and Stokes really took the fight to Australia despite such insurmountable odds.

This paragraph from Andy Bull in the Guardian really captures the feeling:

Same old England. Everyone who has ever watched them play knew which way the game was going. Not that they’d given up on the Western Terrace, where, after five hours of rounds, they were chanting‚“stand up, if you love Ben Stokes,” and “shoes off, if you love Ben Stokes”, in defiance, rather than celebration, hope rather than expectation. Of course it’s the hope that gets you in the end. By the time Leach arrived, everyone else had given up, England still needed another 73 runs. What happened next made no damn sense. Not by my logic, yours, or anyone else’s but his. The game isn’t supposed to work this way, outside of the daydreams we have when we’re kids first falling in love with it.
​​​​​​
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/bl...shes-andy-bull

hi jamesm.i to rember 2005 and all you,ve said, the thing i remember most is 10,000 locked out of edgbaston and that my wife now watches cricket to from 2005,when we lived in england we went to the rose bowl and watch england one dayers lovley ground to which we could walk to.P.S what a win yesterday .on to the next
Old Aug 26th 2019, 7:32 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
Did you ever see the Aussie TV series "Bodyline"? Well worth a watch and the cricket itself is very well dramatised.
All 7 episodes are on youtube.
Yes! I watched it when I was 11 years old! I wouldn't mind seeing it again though so thanks for the YouTube heads up.