British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Locker Room (https://britishexpats.com/forum/locker-room-66/)
-   -   British football thread 2017-2018 (https://britishexpats.com/forum/locker-room-66/british-football-thread-2017-2018-a-896758/)

BEVS Jun 7th 2017 7:03 am

Re: British football thread 2017-2018

:Random non-football post:

:cake: Happy birthday EdEdEd. :beer:

Scamp Jun 7th 2017 8:02 am

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike (Post 12267239)
errmm - Still Liverpool

Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer (Post 12267387)
No-one has ever heard of Salah? Liverpool and Chelsea fans will have heard of him since he was meant to join us for $11M a few years ago then decided to join Chelsea instead where he failed miserably. Personally I think he's a terrible buy as it just means we'll lose 2 right sided wingers to the AFCON tournament every few years rather than just the one.

...whine...whine....whine....
In fact Van Dijk would probably be a replacement for Lovren so if anything the ****ers should be giving us a discount not complaining.

Salah seems a shit signing to me. 30 million quid for a tried-and-failed player? Good. Liverpool getting what they deserve in the transfer market.

Van Dijk is a steal at 60m. He's in another universe to the shite that is Lovren and when he plays for us, we look immeasurably better. He made Yoshida look good for crying out loud, the man's a miracle worker.

Originally Posted by zargof (Post 12267457)
Has Klopp not been getting his Southampton loyalty card stamped? Surely Liverpool must be eligible for a free Charlie Austin by now.

Not yet. Liverpool, for their constant generosity have earned the right to a free tour of the training ground and youth facilities. Let the ***** see what an actual football club looks like.

Oh, and Happy Birthday Ed, you bucket of fanny batter. xxx

Garbatellamike Jun 7th 2017 9:11 am

Happy Birthday Ed - have a good one mate

pommybird Jun 7th 2017 9:28 am

Happy birthday to the most gorgeous, most intelligent, wittiest Man U fan I know....oh and happy birthday to Ed too.....give you your present when I see you ;)

ededed Jun 7th 2017 9:35 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12267786)
Oh, and Happy Birthday Ed, you bucket of fanny batter. xxx

It's like getting wishes from Hallmark. Thanks Scampy x

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike (Post 12267832)
Happy Birthday Ed - have a good one mate

This is my year Mike, 33 now. I saw Liverpool win the league, once.

Originally Posted by pommybird (Post 12267847)
Happy birthday to the most gorgeous, most intelligent, wittiest Man U fan I know....oh and happy birthday to Ed too.....give you your present when I see you ;)

:wub:

I hope it's not crabs. x

SpoogleDrummer Jun 7th 2017 8:49 pm

Looks like all our transfers are going down the shitter now. Just call us Arsenal Mark II.

JamesM Jun 8th 2017 12:59 am

You lot watched much of this?

They're actually pretty good- I watched them beat Argentina.

England Under-20s: Is this the country's next golden generation? - BBC Sport

zargof Jun 8th 2017 1:06 am

Originally Posted by JamesM (Post 12268408)

I've been following it, as there's a fair few Everton lads involved, and yeah, there are some decent players among them. Hopefully they don't all get ruined by the likes of the Chavs and Citeh.

Scamp Jun 8th 2017 7:27 am

Originally Posted by JamesM (Post 12268408)

The worlds 'Golden Generation'. What kind of lazy shit journalism is that?
****ing idiots. We don't have golden generations, we have golden sprinklings and golden underachievement and golden tears for these golden dickheads.

Garbatellamike Jun 8th 2017 8:47 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12268519)
****ing idiots. We don't have golden generations, we have golden sprinklings and golden underachievement and golden tears for these golden dickheads.

The last Golden Generation should have been the Lead Generation they never came close to winning anything other than media headlines.

Scamp Jun 8th 2017 8:55 am

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike (Post 12268578)
The last Golden Generation should have been the Lead Generation they never came close to winning anything other than media headlines.

The media are as bad as the FA.
English football is a golden shower from top to bottom.

yellowroom Jun 8th 2017 11:03 am

Meanwhile a bunch of "B team"/U18 players are in the Toulon U20 tournament in France. Tonight England are playing Scotland in the semi-final, unfortunately not televised anywhere. Will have to make do with the senior game on Saturday for a bit of auld rivalry.

With the B team/U18s holding their own, it does seem like we have a strong cohort coming through, but please no golden generation nonsense hype.

Garbatellamike Jun 8th 2017 11:34 am

So it's official now - we have a new goalie and he has an 81.2% save ratio last season contrasting well with Clownio's Bravo's 0%.

JamesM Jun 8th 2017 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12268519)

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike (Post 12268578)

I wouldn't pay too much attention to the superlatives.

The football is good and the team decent. Something to fill the void.

If England are also doing well in Toulon as the OP suggested then maybe we might see the national team start progressing beyond the group stages again.

Golden generation stuff is always over hyped. In international tournament football if you have the right attitude and a good game plan you can do well. It's why Iceland and Wales went further than England last time. It's also why Greece and Portugal have been European Champions.

zargof Jun 8th 2017 4:11 pm

So Jose left last year, then Terry went, and now it looks like Costa is leaving the Chavs. Does this mean that the Chavs are going to become more likeable? After all Conte seems like a decent guy. I dunno, I doubt it though.

Speaking of Costa, if he does bugger off to Italy, or China or wherever, that leaves an opening for the biggest scumbag in the league, and there doesn't seem to be an obvious candidate. I mean Barton is done, Cattermole is relegated, does that mean it falls to the likes of Fellaini or Shawcross, or God forbid Jack Wheelchair? Who knows, maybe someone will buy Sergio Ramos...