British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Locker Room (https://britishexpats.com/forum/locker-room-66/)
-   -   British football thread 2017-2018 (https://britishexpats.com/forum/locker-room-66/british-football-thread-2017-2018-a-896758/)

Garbatellamike Aug 24th 2017 9:18 pm

Re: British football thread 2017-2018

Originally Posted by zargof (Post 12323905)
Everton through to the Europa League proper with a standard 1-1 draw against Hadjuk Split to go through on aggregate.

The game was notable for a mental 40 yard worldy debut goal from Gylfi Sigurdsson. That 45M might just be worth it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qe7k1sH0BkA

great goal and a very good buy for you - top player

Former Lancastrian Aug 24th 2017 9:41 pm

The journey continues - @IAmZlatanIbrahimovic has signed a new one-year contract with #MUFC and will wear the no.10 shirt. #Zlat10

Zlatan Ibrahimovic signs new Manchester United contract | Football News | Sky Sports

Well this could be interesting in how and when Jose will use him? I don't think he will be the #1 starter but could be used for less important matches or an injury to Lukaku.

JamesM Aug 25th 2017 12:28 am

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike (Post 12323916)
it is CL and EL(half points) over 5 years. City are 9th in UEFA rankings and Spurs 22nd

Che 14, Utd 15 and Liv 35th

Leicester were in Pot 1.

Champions League group stage draw: Pot 1 - UEFA Champions League - News - UEFA.com

I guess the Champions are exempted from the co-efficient.

pommybird Aug 25th 2017 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by Cainess (Post 12323808)
Um, not fussed on a long trip to Moscow, but otherwise that could have been a lot worse, and we should be very competitive against Benfica & Basel.

Spurs truly got the 'short straw' again... good luck with that little lot!! Even Apoel Nicosia won't be a pushover.

The scouse got the best draw, and will fight it out with Sevilla to win the Group.

Celtic are out of their depth at this level anyway, but might sneak into the EL if they can better Anderlecht, who are 'hot & cold'.

I suppose you could say we have drawn the 'short straw', but aren't matches like this, what the CL is all about, bring it on!

That said I don't suppose we'll get very far.......just remembered isn't Dele suspended from first 3 matches anyway?

Garbatellamike Aug 25th 2017 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by JamesM (Post 12324007)
Leicester were in Pot 1.

Champions League group stage draw: Pot 1 - UEFA Champions League - News - UEFA.com

I guess the Champions are exempted from the co-efficient.

correct 8 champions in leagues with highest country UEFA coefficient are pot 1

Cainess Aug 25th 2017 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by pommybird (Post 12324325)
I suppose you could say we have drawn the 'short straw', but aren't matches like this, what the CL is all about, bring it on!

That said I don't suppose we'll get very far.......just remembered isn't Dele suspended from first 3 matches anyway?

Given his 'lukewarm' league form so far (anonymous against the Chavs) that mightn't be such a hindrance... :sneaky:

I'd love to see Spurs knock the smirk off Real Madrid's boatraces, tbh, but you just can't see it happening. Madrid will LOVE the wide open spaces at Wembley...

Desperately need Harry Kane to open his season's account against Burnley this weekend for my Fantasy team... £12.5m and two shots off posts to show for it so far.... :thumbdown:

Mind you, a couple of goals for young Tim F-M at Palace would be even better!! :p

Garbatellamike Aug 25th 2017 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by Cainess (Post 12324355)
Given his 'lukewarm' league form so far (anonymous against the Chavs) that mightn't be such a hindrance... :sneaky:

I'd love to see Spurs knock the smirk off Real Madrid's boatraces, tbh, but you just can't see it happening. Madrid will LOVE the wide open spaces at Wembley...

Desperately need Harry Kane to open his season's account against Burnley this weekend for my Fantasy team... £12.5m and two shots off posts to show for it so far.... :thumbdown:

Mind you, a couple of goals for young Tim F-M at Palace would be even better!! :p

Don't get greedy Rodders - you are winning the Fantasy League at the mo.

zargof Aug 25th 2017 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by Cainess (Post 12324355)

Harry Kane never scores August. It's a tradition.

Former Lancastrian Aug 25th 2017 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by zargof (Post 12324368)
Harry Kane never scores August. It's a tradition.

So why do they play him then? Don't they have another striker who might be able to score goals in August. Sounds logical to me but there again we are talking about Spurs who sometimes defy logic.;)

johnwoo Aug 25th 2017 9:39 pm

Being the second best team (arguably the best) in the PL is not exactly a bad thing. I'm not a Spurs fan.
There's not a team in any league that wouldn't want Harry Kane.

SpoogleDrummer Aug 26th 2017 1:05 am

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 12324527)
So why do they play him then? Don't they have another striker who might be able to score goals in August. Sounds logical to me but there again we are talking about Spurs who sometimes defy logic.;)

But what if it's a case of him taking a month to warm up? So if you didn't play him in August he just wouldn't score in September.

Former Lancastrian Aug 26th 2017 1:43 am

Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer (Post 12324608)
But what if it's a case of him taking a month to warm up? So if you didn't play him in August he just wouldn't score in September.

There again those of us living in the real world get paid probably less per year than he gets paid weekly, its his job to score ****ing goals:lol:
Yes I know strikers have droughts etc but come on would your boss pay you approx 400 thousand quid a month not to live up to what you are paid to do;)

johnwoo Aug 26th 2017 3:46 am

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 12324616)
There again those of us living in the real world get paid probably less per year than he gets paid weekly, its his job to score ****ing goals:lol:
Yes I know strikers have droughts etc but come on would your boss pay you approx 400 thousand quid a month not to live up to what you are paid to do;)

I'd say scoring 29 goals last year and the leagues top scorer is doing what he's paid to do and then some.

Former Lancastrian Aug 26th 2017 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by johnwoo (Post 12324652)
I'd say scoring 29 goals last year and the leagues top scorer is doing what he's paid to do and then some.

Except during the month of August :lol: Maybe thats when Kane takes his vacation days.

pommybird Aug 26th 2017 2:14 pm

A good performance against a very strong side, but gutted for B'mth who totally deserved a point. Fantastic goal by Daniels. Mike Dean completely lost control of the game in stoppage time.

I have to say the low point of the game though, was Aguero's disgusting display when a City player rushed onto the pitch after the second goal and was held down by a copper. Aguero rushed over starting shouting at the police and then physically shoved a copper twice in full view of everyone. I sincerely hopes he faces disciplinary action of some sort and he has showed himself up to one complete and utter twat. He now gets my vote for 'twat player of the year'.