British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Locker Room (https://britishexpats.com/forum/locker-room-66/)
-   -   British football thread 2017-2018 (https://britishexpats.com/forum/locker-room-66/british-football-thread-2017-2018-a-896758/)

zargof Aug 24th 2017 1:40 pm

Re: British football thread 2017-2018
 
England squad announced! Debuts for WGAF and whatever.

Seriously though, why is Joe Hart still in the squad, he's been shite for the last two years.

IJ157 Aug 24th 2017 2:17 pm

Re: British football thread 2017-2018
 

Originally Posted by Cainess (Post 12323578)
That's the nearest you've come to admitting that Aguero is a cheating wee bas-tid who TOTALLY feigned contact from Schneiderlin and rolled around like a whimpy little pansy to get him sent-off.... :thumbdown: I guess he is Argentinean, so these things are to be expected.

European Cup Draw? Just delighted to see our name back in there, to be honest. Whoever we draw won't enjoy having us in their Group, but I'm VERY happy to be in Pot 2 so we can't get paired with dangerous teams like PSG and Atletico.

Dream draw: Monaco (who have been predictably raped this summer), Anderlecht (average team, next to no travel time), Celtic (piece of piss).

Nightmare: Real Madrid (no matter what ed says... :sneaky:), Roma/Napoli, CSKA/Leipzig.

Pot 2 is almost as dangerous as pot 1!


We will see how it pans out.

SpoogleDrummer Aug 24th 2017 2:47 pm

Re: British football thread 2017-2018
 

Originally Posted by zargof (Post 12323581)
England squad announced! Debuts for WGAF and whatever.

Seriously though, why is Joe Hart still in the squad, he's been shite for the last two years.

Daniel Sturridge is in there too ffs. He hasn't even played a full game for us. We should just sue the FA for his transfer value and wages because he'll get crocked again which makes him a liability rather than an asset.

SpoogleDrummer Aug 24th 2017 4:49 pm

Re: British football thread 2017-2018
 
Just watching the draw now, Chelsea and Spurs ouch.

But not as ouch as Celtic.

zargof Aug 24th 2017 4:54 pm

Re: British football thread 2017-2018
 

Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer (Post 12323743)
Just watching the draw now, Chelsea and Spurs ouch.

But not as ouch as Celtic.

Liverpool have to be happy with that. If they don't get out of that group, they can only blame themselves.

As for Celtic, doesn't really matter who they played, they were going to lose anyway.

Red Manc and Blue Manc should both be alright as well.

yellowroom Aug 24th 2017 5:07 pm

Re: British football thread 2017-2018
 

Originally Posted by zargof (Post 12323581)
England squad announced! Debuts for WGAF and whatever.

Aw, I'm cheering Harry (Maguire) on his debut, he thoroughly deserves it. Can't believe Gibson got called up ahead of him last time.

SpoogleDrummer Aug 24th 2017 5:09 pm

Re: British football thread 2017-2018
 

Originally Posted by zargof (Post 12323751)
Liverpool have to be happy with that. If they don't get out of that group, they can only blame themselves.

As for Celtic, doesn't really matter who they played, they were going to lose anyway.

Red Manc and Blue Manc should both be alright as well.

Relatively happy but you know us, we'll beat Spartak Moscow, draw with Sevilla then lose to Maribor whoever the hell they are.

JamesM Aug 24th 2017 5:14 pm

Re: British football thread 2017-2018
 
Who did Arsenal get?

Liverpool dodged the bullet that Spurs took. I don't understand how City are in a better pot than Spurs when they finished below them in the league? I also don't understand how Liverpool end up in the same pot when they finished lower? I used to understand Uefa co-efficient but I need to go and play Football Manager to refresh!

I totally get Chelsea in Pot 1 like Leicester the year before as Champions. And I accept United in Pot 2 as Europa league winners. I now credit Mourinho with realising that the Europa League would give United a better pot than fourth.

That being said with Spurs at Wembley this season I look forward to welcoming massive clubs like Dortmund and Madrid. A good learning curve for our young side and after December we'll be fully focused on winning the Premier League.

United, Liverpool and City all cake walks. Chelsea aren't guaranteed top spot because Costa will end up at Atletico.

With the ball bouncing the Premier Leagues way (Spurs exempting) we should look forward to seeing the 3 North western clubs in the last 8 come March.

IJ157 Aug 24th 2017 5:39 pm

Re: British football thread 2017-2018
 

Originally Posted by JamesM (Post 12323766)
Who did Arsenal get?

Liverpool dodged the bullet that Spurs took. I don't understand how City are in a better pot than Spurs when they finished below them in the league? I also don't understand how Liverpool end up in the same pot when they finished lower? I used to understand Uefa co-efficient but I need to go and play Football Manager to refresh!

I totally get Chelsea in Pot 1 like Leicester the year before as Champions. And I accept United in Pot 2 as Europa league winners. I now credit Mourinho with realising that the Europa League would give United a better pot than fourth.

That being said with Spurs at Wembley this season I look forward to welcoming massive clubs like Dortmund and Madrid. A good learning curve for our young side and after December we'll be fully focused on winning the Premier League.

United, Liverpool and City all cake walks. Chelsea aren't guaranteed top spot because Costa will end up at Atletico.

With the ball bouncing the Premier Leagues way (Spurs exempting) we should look forward to seeing the 3 North western clubs in the last 8 come March.



Because it is not just based on last season. I believe it takes into account performances from the last 5 seasons in the Champions League.


Very nice draw for both Manchester sides.


Liverpool a little trickier, but should be able to get through. Could of course been a lot worse.


How good are Roma these days? Cheslea should still finish top 2 though.

IJ157 Aug 24th 2017 5:41 pm

Re: British football thread 2017-2018
 
Wow, that is brutal for Celtic!

Cainess Aug 24th 2017 6:00 pm

Re: British football thread 2017-2018
 
Um, not fussed on a long trip to Moscow, but otherwise that could have been a lot worse, and we should be very competitive against Benfica & Basel.

Spurs truly got the 'short straw' again... good luck with that little lot!! Even Apoel Nicosia won't be a pushover.

The scouse got the best draw, and will fight it out with Sevilla to win the Group.

Celtic are out of their depth at this level anyway, but might sneak into the EL if they can better Anderlecht, who are 'hot & cold'.

Garbatellamike Aug 24th 2017 7:39 pm

Re: British football thread 2017-2018
 
Nearly right but there was contact.
It was a hard but legal challenge playing the ball and then taking Aguero to ground where he then rolled around like he had been shot which I condemn. The City players who routinely dive are Sterling and the now departed Kolorov and it passes me off when they cheat as I want it outlawed. DCL clutching his face was disgraceful and indefensible.

Originally Posted by Cainess (Post 12323578)
That's the nearest you've come to admitting that Aguero is a cheating wee bas-tid who TOTALLY feigned contact from Schneiderlin and rolled around like a whimpy little pansy to get him sent-off.... :thumbdown: I guess he is Argentinean, so these things are to be expected.

European Cup Draw? Just delighted to see our name back in there, to be honest. Whoever we draw won't enjoy having us in their Group, but I'm VERY happy to be in Pot 2 so we can't get paired with dangerous teams like PSG and Atletico.

Dream draw: Monaco (who have been predictably raped this summer), Anderlecht (average team, next to no travel time), Celtic (piece of piss).

Nightmare: Real Madrid (no matter what ed says... :sneaky:), Roma/Napoli, CSKA/Leipzig.


JamesM Aug 24th 2017 7:58 pm

Re: British football thread 2017-2018
 

Originally Posted by Cainess (Post 12323808)

Spurs truly got the 'short straw' again... good luck with that little lot!! Even Apoel Nicosia won't be a pushover.

We did and we didn't.

We get a couple of plumb games and then we'll more than likely be eliminated. That frees us up to focus on the Premier League and have an advantage over some of the clubs who go a bit further in the CL and run into fixture congestion.

We wouldn't win the Champions League with an easy group. This way we get to full Wembley and have a couple of cup finals. For those Spurs fans that can make the trips they get to visit two mecca's of the European game.

zargof Aug 24th 2017 8:56 pm

Re: British football thread 2017-2018
 
Everton through to the Europa League proper with a standard 1-1 draw against Hadjuk Split to go through on aggregate.

The game was notable for a mental 40 yard worldy debut goal from Gylfi Sigurdsson. That 45M might just be worth it.


Garbatellamike Aug 24th 2017 9:17 pm

Re: British football thread 2017-2018
 

Originally Posted by IJ157 (Post 12323787)
Because it is not just based on last season. I believe it takes into account performances from the last 5 seasons in the Champions League.

it is CL and EL(half points) over 5 years. City are 9th in UEFA rankings and Spurs 22nd

Che 14, Utd 15 and Liv 35th


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:53 am.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.