British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Locker Room (https://britishexpats.com/forum/locker-room-66/)
-   -   British football thread 2017-2018 (https://britishexpats.com/forum/locker-room-66/british-football-thread-2017-2018-a-896758/)

Garbatellamike Aug 22nd 2017 3:38 pm

Re: British football thread 2017-2018

Originally Posted by zargof (Post 12322058)
I actually thought Rooney had a good game. He seems pretty fit and worked his arse off. Two goals in two games, and lifting up the rest of the team. You can't really ask for more.

He gave the ball away an awful lot and twice in very dangerous positions that a better side than us would have scored from. In the main he jogged about all over the pitch to little effect but as you allude to,he was in the right place to score - I thought his set pieces were dreadful throughout and he has lost 4 or 5 yards of pace (over 10).

I have him in my FF team as he'll get some goals and should start every game.

IJ157 Aug 22nd 2017 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by yellowroom (Post 12321809)
have you got Kane? He's managed to pick up a couple of yellows and not scored yet. Ive transferred him out, so he's set for a hat trick.

There was a stat that he has never scored in the premier league in the month of August.

Cainess Aug 22nd 2017 9:47 pm

The solid rumours have us re-signing Zlatan later in the week.... have to say I'm perplexed and underwhelmed.

He may have done a job for us last year, but IMO he doesn't have a part to play in this team anymore unless he's happy to be a bit-part sub...which, given the size of the man's ego, I'd struggle to believe true.

Lukaku, Rashford, Martial.... add in another pacy striker and we are back to 1999 days; but Zlatan is not a modern-day Sheringham IMO, because I'm not sure he can be a 'team player' like Teddy was.

Obviously I hope the big man has me munching on "Pie de Humble" before the year is out, but I have serious reservations about the value of re-signing him as a player. As a coach, absolutely marvelous, but not as a regular starter for the 1st team, and I doubt he would accept anything less...

JamesM Aug 23rd 2017 12:23 am

Originally Posted by Cainess (Post 12322297)
The solid rumours have us re-signing Zlatan later in the week.... have to say I'm perplexed and underwhelmed.

He may have done a job for us last year, but IMO he doesn't have a part to play in this team anymore unless he's happy to be a bit-part sub...which, given the size of the man's ego, I'd struggle to believe true.

Lukaku, Rashford, Martial.... add in another pacy striker and we are back to 1999 days; but Zlatan is not a modern-day Sheringham IMO, because I'm not sure he can be a 'team player' like Teddy was.

Obviously I hope the big man has me munching on "Pie de Humble" before the year is out, but I have serious reservations about the value of re-signing him as a player. As a coach, absolutely marvelous, but not as a regular starter for the 1st team, and I doubt he would accept anything less...

Stock Market club.

Need the shirt sales Son.

Zlatan should head to LA as MLS would be right up his alley.

jam25mack Aug 23rd 2017 6:39 am

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike (Post 12322065)
He gave the ball away an awful lot and twice in very dangerous positions that a better side than us would have scored from. In the main he jogged about all over the pitch to little effect but as you allude to,he was in the right place to score - I thought his set pieces were dreadful throughout and he has lost 4 or 5 yards of pace (over 10).

Didn't see the game but have seen the goal which he took well. Read a stat that he ran further than anyone else which is a good sign for the future. I still think he will do a decent job at Everton and if he manages to find that touch and killer strike that he seems to have misplaced over the last few seasons he could be a great acquisition. If they can get him trim and hungry I think he'll be quality again. Possibly the pressure at United was a bit much?!?!

Originally Posted by Cainess (Post 12322297)

I get your point BUT I would 100% have him back. There's a lot of games to play this season and undoubtedly players will get injured and positions will open up so he can be vital back up. Also, he offers a different style of play, slower admittedly but different all the same. We can't always play at full throttle otherwise the players will be knackered by the new year. Look at Liverpool under Klipperdy. I'm not saying I wouldn't prefer we brought in a worldie of a striker but that's a different question. Who's available and what kind of mega money would they cost.

At the end of the day he's not stupid and has to realise that after spending 75 M on Lukaku he's not going to be first choice. Also, with the quick counter attacking run at them approach Jose seems to be going for he's not the right man the majority of the time...... but as mentioned, some teams won't be suitable for that approach.

However, his experience, skills and attitude are priceless in the dressing room and the coaching and knowledge he can pass onto youngsters like Marcus will only add to their development.

I think ultimately Jose just wants him around to bring him in as a coach next season but still thinks he can do a job this season.

Originally Posted by JamesM (Post 12322360)
Stock Market club.

Need the shirt sales Son.

Zlatan should head to LA as MLS would be right up his alley.

As football is obviously a business I'd rather have a club that spent the money it earns than one that doesn't.....

I see there's rumours that Alli is looking to change his agent with the aim of getting a move to a club who will pay him the going rate and with a bit of ambition..... It'll be interesting to see how long Kane takes before he starts making similar noises. Rose has be slagged off for his interview (understandably) but he's only saying what everyone in football already knows.

As for LA or MLS? How's that? He was banging them in last season regularly enough proving he can handle the pace and hustle and bustle of the EPL even at his grand old age. Also, he would most likely have been up there numbers wise with Kane and Lukaku if he hadn't got injured. So even after his injury with the way he looks after himself theres no reason to think he can't do it again....... And even if he doesn't, so what, it's not like we're buying him for big money, we're only paying his silly wages, and as mentioned the positives a character like him brings off the field makes it worth it IMO.

If you had to bet, who would you take a gamble on between? Zlatan after his knee surgery or Sturridge? Who do you think will score more, cost more (wages and depreciation) and bring more to the dressing room, over the course of this season.

ededed Aug 23rd 2017 7:12 am

CL pots are released.

United in pot 2. Liverpool and Spurs in pot 3.

Which proves that finishing 2nd and 3rd and winning nothing were clearly more important than finishing 6th and winning 2 trophies. Alrighty then.

Scamp Aug 23rd 2017 8:26 am

Originally Posted by ededed (Post 12322495)
CL pots are released.

United in pot 2. Liverpool and Spurs in pot 3.

Which proves that finishing 2nd and 3rd and winning nothing were clearly more important than finishing 6th and winning 2 trophies. Alrighty then.

Good for you. Means United get knocked out at the round of 16 instead of the group stages.

ededed Aug 23rd 2017 8:44 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12322522)
Good for you. Means United get knocked out at the round of 16 instead of the group stages.

Exactly.

Good luck against Wolves tonight.

Garbatellamike Aug 23rd 2017 9:16 am

Originally Posted by jam25mack (Post 12322481)
Read a stat that he ran further than anyone else which is a good sign for the future.

The stat is he ran further than any other Everton player not further than anyone else (several City players did much more distance).

I think he moved on because he no longer has the pace to play at the very top level and knew he'd be a bit part player at Utd.

ededed Aug 23rd 2017 9:29 am

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike (Post 12322542)
The stat is he ran further than any other Everton player not further than anyone else (several City players did much more distance).

I think he moved on because he no longer has the pace to play at the very top level and knew he'd be a bit part player at Utd.

2 games, 2 goals, including one against the most expensive defence in world football. It doesn't matter how far you run (or how fast). If you're scoring goals then you're doing ok. He was getting less and less game time at United because we didn't play to his strengths - he's still clearly good enough to play in the PL.

Garbatellamike Aug 23rd 2017 10:23 am

Originally Posted by ededed (Post 12322549)
2 games, 2 goals, including one against the most expensive defence in world football. It doesn't matter how far you run (or how fast). If you're scoring goals then you're doing ok. He was getting less and less game time at United because we didn't play to his strengths - he's still clearly good enough to play in the PL.

I agree all that - he is indeed still able to play in the PL but he is no longer good enough for the most expensive and highly paid team in the history of the league.

My main concern is that people seem to think he should be back in the England squad and he is no longer good enough for that level for sure.

He has had a good 14 or 15 year career but his best days are behind him now.

ededed Aug 23rd 2017 11:07 am

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike (Post 12322568)
I agree all that - he is indeed still able to play in the PL but he is no longer good enough for the most expensive and highly paid team in the history of the league.

:lol:

You forgot "most successful"....but that's ok.

Agree about England, but as international football is awful anyway, he should fit right in. I hope he plays for Southgate - only if it means Rashford doesn't get into the England squad and therefore stays fit to play for us.

United>England

Scamp Aug 23rd 2017 11:33 am

Originally Posted by ededed (Post 12322530)
Exactly.

Good luck against Wolves tonight.

Thanks.
Cute that you looked up our fixtures.

Originally Posted by ededed (Post 12322596)
United>England

I've shit things more impressive than anything the FA could produce and call 'English football'.

Former Lancastrian Aug 23rd 2017 11:36 am

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike (Post 12322568)

Don't worry the transfer market is still open and the Sheiks might find 1 or 2 billion stuffed behind a couch cushion or in a jacket pocket not worn for years.

Scamp Aug 23rd 2017 11:54 am

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 12322612)
Don't worry the transfer market is still open and the Sheiks might find 1 or 2 billion stuffed behind a couch cushion or in a jacket pocket not worn for years.

The sweet smell of bitterness.