British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Locker Room (https://britishexpats.com/forum/locker-room-66/)
-   -   British football thread 2017-2018 (https://britishexpats.com/forum/locker-room-66/british-football-thread-2017-2018-a-896758/)

zargof Aug 16th 2017 4:03 pm

Re: British football thread 2017-2018

Originally Posted by Cainess (Post 12317944)
Not sure why anyone sees any attraction in Barkley- totally over-rated, mostly by himself. Everton have just bought three times the player in Sigurdsson.

Barkley is a massively frustrating player, because occasionally he will show a moment of brilliance, but the problem is everyone expects this brilliance every time he plays, so when he has what is generally a decent performance he still gets criticised because he wasn't brilliant.

By the same token, Martinez was constantly bigging him up as amazing and gave him the freedom to play how he wanted. Now Koeman has come in and publicly called him out as having to work harder, which has upset him and he just hasn't really performed in Koeman's team.

Maybe a move to a different team with a different manager will get the best out of him, I don't know. But I do agree Sigurdsson will bring more to the Everton team than Barkley has.

JamesM Aug 16th 2017 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by Cainess (Post 12317944)
You SHOULD be worried...in the Europa League Final, he was a complete liability, constantly caught out of position. Looks very comfortable on the ball, but you already have a couple of those types in Vertonghen & Alderweireld.... :blink:

The Colombian John Stones.

I think Poch wants to spend a year or two coaching him up.

Vertonghen and Alderweireld are both top quality defenders but I think also starting to get to the wrong end of 20. I tend to think defenders get better with experience but we do need someone at the back with a lot of pace for those bigger pitches.

Garbatellamike Aug 16th 2017 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by JamesM (Post 12318014)

:rofl: nice one!

In fairness to Stones he may not be very good but he's a long way from the worst centre back we've had

JamesM Aug 16th 2017 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by zargof (Post 12317990)

Maybe a move to a different team with a different manager will get the best out of him, I don't know. But I do agree Sigurdsson will bring more to the Everton team than Barkley has.

Sigurdsson is excellent. Spurs should have looked after him better and kept him. I'm a little envious of you.

If Barkley comes to Spurs he'll have to work hard to earn/keep his place. He can't be worse than Sissoko in the attitude department.

I'm relieved this Sigurdsson thing is done and dusted.

With Cahill getting sent off and Rondon only getting two minutes my Fantasy team already has enough liabilities.

JamesM Aug 16th 2017 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike (Post 12318019)
:rofl: nice one!

In fairness to Stones he may not be very good but he's a long way from the worst centre back we've had

Yeah. It wasn't meant to be a dig.

I think Stones needs experience and coaching also. The raw attributes are there.

The only centre half I ever saw who was complete from the get go was a certain Ledley King. Just was born with kryptonite in his knees.

Garbatellamike Aug 16th 2017 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by JamesM (Post 12318033)
Yeah. It wasn't meant to be a dig.

I think Stones needs experience and coaching also. The raw attributes are there.

The only centre half I ever saw who was complete from the get go was a certain Ledley King. Just was born with kryptonite in his knees.

Well hopefully Pep can do the coaching piece - Stones an upgrade on the likes of Savic, Mangala, Stepanovic and Morrison (god bless him)..

IJ157 Aug 16th 2017 5:41 pm

Sounds like Coutinho never wants to play for Liverpool again in order to force his move through to Barca. :lol:

Garbatellamike Aug 16th 2017 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by JamesM (Post 12318014)

I think Poch wants to spend a year or two coaching him up.

Vertonghen and Alderweireld are both top quality defenders but I think also starting to get to the wrong end of 20. I tend to think defenders get better with experience but we do need someone at the back with a lot of pace for those bigger pitches.

bollocks - you talk about shit centre backs and now we are trying to sign Johnnie Evans - it's your fault James ;)

IJ157 Aug 16th 2017 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike (Post 12318104)
bollocks - you talk about shit centre backs and now we are trying to sign Johnnie Evans - it's your fault James ;)

Quite surprised to see that news report.

Garbatellamike Aug 16th 2017 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by IJ157 (Post 12318123)
Quite surprised to see that news report.

yeah - hoping it's fake news

Cainess Aug 16th 2017 6:30 pm

I'd be stunned if that were true.... how many defenders does Pep think he needs...??!! Someone needs to remind him that you're only allowed 10 outfield players on the pitch at any given time. :sneaky: :eek:

Oh, and it's Jonny (no 'h') Evans.... he's headed to Russia next summer with the GAWA... ;)

ededed Aug 16th 2017 8:37 pm

£18m bid rejected. There's so much wrong with that sentence I don't know where to begin.

When Evans is worth more than £18m you know we're heading for disaster. He won't be the worst centre back you've ever had, but there has to be better value out there. He had potential but West Brom is his level.

DaveLovesDee Aug 16th 2017 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by ededed (Post 12318271)
£18m bid rejected. There's so much wrong with that sentence I don't know where to begin.

When Evans is worth more than £18m you know we're heading for disaster. He won't be the worst centre back you've ever had, but there has to be better value out there. He had potential but West Brom is his level.

I think City are interested in Evans to meet the home-grown players quota. 8 out of the 25-man squad if I recall correctly.

ededed Aug 16th 2017 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12318287)
I think City are interested in Evans to meet the home-grown players quota. 8 out of the 25-man squad if I recall correctly.

But he's a foreigner :sneaky:

DaveLovesDee Aug 16th 2017 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by ededed (Post 12318301)
But he's a foreigner :sneaky:

Yeah, but he's the right kind of foreigner.......

EFL & EPL home-grown players rule