British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Locker Room (https://britishexpats.com/forum/locker-room-66/)
-   -   British football thread 2017-2018 (https://britishexpats.com/forum/locker-room-66/british-football-thread-2017-2018-a-896758/)

ededed Aug 14th 2017 7:59 am

Re: British football thread 2017-2018

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike (Post 12315953)
great coach and tactician for sure - told you he'd do well for 2-3 years :nod:

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike (Post 12315960)
yeh but Maureen's a scum bag and he wins trophies and the Utd lot are happy with him

Nice try Mikey....you'll need a bigger hook than that my friend.

Garbatellamike Aug 14th 2017 8:53 am

Originally Posted by ededed (Post 12316125)
Nice try Mikey....you'll need a bigger hook than that my friend.

Time will tell - the leopard may change his spots.

Utd looking strong favourites now but given they are the first EPL team who can field a team costing over 400 mil that's not a surprise.

Former Lancastrian Aug 14th 2017 10:33 am

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike (Post 12316153)

Utd looking strong favourites now but given they are the first EPL team who can field a team costing over 400 mil that's not a surprise.

TBF I thought at one time the Citeh bench was over 400 million;)

ededed Aug 14th 2017 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike (Post 12316153)
Time will tell - the leopard may change his spots.

:lol:

Can't work out if that's another fish or if you're being pseudo-ironic? Although well done to Pep for saving money - I did enjoy seeing Stephen Ireland making a comeback at the weekend.

https://www.joe.co.uk/sport/people-r...fielder-137731

Cainess Aug 14th 2017 3:26 pm

Very pleased...a joy to watch at times, and I see the whole "it's cos West Ham are s hite" reasoning has started already...no credit where it's due because of the shirts they're wearing... ;)

I'd imagine round at Antonio's house yesterday afternoon he stared at the screen while Matic gave a lesson on how to play the defensive midfield role, thinking: "Oh shit, what have I done?!?" :p

Still, nice to see Mike giving it the whole "United are favourites" ballix....yeah, we're the ones who spent £150m on full-backs this summer... :sneaky: citeh still the absolute favourites to win everything...maybe we'll push them a bit.

JamesM Aug 14th 2017 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by Cainess (Post 12316354)
Very pleased...a joy to watch at times, and I see the whole "it's cos West Ham are s hite" reasoning has started already...no credit where it's due because of the shirts they're wearing... ;)

I thought United were a joy to watch. I also thought West Ham were terrible, invited pressure and did little to relieve it with a lack of players wanting the ball when they moved forward. United gave them the appropriate beat down showing their ruthlessness and talent. However I do think that West Ham will be closer to the bottom than the top on the evidence of this display. United got the expected win but will not be the only team to comfortably beat West Ham this season. I can see it happening often which is why I wouldn't book the open top bus just yet. I know you are a realist so I am surprised that you are a little defensive about it. United got the 3 points and deservedly so (it was a 5 star performance and all positives) but I think they will face many tougher tests during their remaining 37 fixtures.

nice to see Mike giving it the whole "United are favourites" ballix....yeah, we're the ones who spent £150m on full-backs this summer... :sneaky: citeh still the absolute favourites to win everything...maybe we'll push them a bit.

Chelsea are favourites.

yellowroom Aug 14th 2017 4:51 pm

I only saw MoTD, but it did look like United have changed how they play from last season and looked almost like an SAF team.

Cainess Aug 14th 2017 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by JamesM (Post 12316402)
I thought United were a joy to watch. I also thought West Ham were terrible, invited pressure and did little to relieve it with a lack of players wanting the ball when they moved forward. United gave them the appropriate beat down showing their ruthlessness and talent. However I do think that West Ham will be closer to the bottom than the top on the evidence of this display. United got the expected win but will not be the only team to comfortably beat West Ham this season. I can see it happening often which is why I wouldn't book the open top bus just yet. I know you are a realist so I am surprised that you are a little defensive about it. United got the 3 points and deservedly so (it was a 5 star performance and all positives) but I think they will face many tougher tests during their remaining 37 fixtures.

Chelsea are favourites.

Wouldn't say I was defensive, James, but despite West Ham being made to look poor, I thought we played better stuff than even most of the media seem inclined to admit... Matic was a colossus out there. I'm not by any means claiming we will win the title on the back of one result (that's something the Dippers would do... :sneaky:)- it was a good opening day display, end of story.

citeh are the team to beat, but I think we'll be a lot closer to the eventual champions this season, and top 4 is the minimum aim.

Garbatellamike Aug 14th 2017 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by yellowroom (Post 12316423)
I only saw MoTD, but it did look like United have changed how they play from last season and looked almost like an SAF team.

yeah that was nmy thought too - much better to watch

Garbatellamike Aug 14th 2017 7:35 pm

Still, nice to see Mike giving it the whole "United are favourites" ballix....yeah, we're the ones who spent £150m on full-backs this summer... :sneaky: citeh still the absolute favourites to win everything...maybe we'll push them a bit.

Naw I'm just happy with an away win against one of the other small clubs at the bottom 39 more points needed

ededed Aug 14th 2017 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by JamesM (Post 12316402)

Chelsea are favourites.

Agree with everything but the last line. Chelsea are in meltdown. Have been all summer. Their 2 goal threats (Hazard and Costa) aren't available, they've lost one of their Lynch pins - strengthening a major rival (when Conte clearly didn't want or sanction that sale) and they bought a keeper from City who couldn't catch an STD at Zargof's house. I can't see them finishing in the top 4 - and think Conte will be gone by Christmas.

As James says, for United, much tougher tests await. What was nice was that West Ham did what most opposition teams did at OT last season. Sat deep, invited pressure and tried to hit us on the break - a remarkably simple and effective tactic against us when Zlatan (who's as fast as an asthmatic Sheringham) is leading the line, and usually facing De Gea. Matic didn't give them a chance to break and we forced them deeper and deeper, and Lukaku is a striker who has astonishing pace and strength. Rashford looked like a player - he still couldn't beat a keeper when one on one but his link up play was great.

I didn't see Citeh - heard it was a laboured win? And 3 points against the barcodes at St James's is a decent result though, even after Voldemort got sent off for losing his mind against Ali.

Swansea away next week, then Leicester at home. We have to be thinking that's 9 from 9.

Cainess Aug 14th 2017 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by ededed (Post 12316598)
Agree with everything but the last line. Chelsea are in meltdown. Have been all summer. Their 2 goal threats (Hazard and Costa) aren't available, they've lost one of their Lynch pins - strengthening a major rival (when Conte clearly didn't want or sanction that sale) and they bought a keeper from City who couldn't catch an STD at Zargof's house. I can't see them finishing in the top 4 - and think Conte will be gone by Christmas.

As James says, for United, much tougher tests await. What was nice was that West Ham did what most opposition teams did at OT last season. Sat deep, invited pressure and tried to hit us on the break - a remarkably simple and effective tactic against us when Zlatan (who's as fast as an asthmatic Sheringham) is leading the line, and usually facing De Gea. Matic didn't give them a chance to break and we forced them deeper and deeper, and Lukaku is a striker who has astonishing pace and strength. Rashford looked like a player - he still couldn't beat a keeper when one on one but his link up play was great.

I didn't see Citeh - heard it was a laboured win? And 3 points against the barcodes at St James's is a decent result though, even after Voldemort got sent off for losing his mind against Ali.

Swansea away next week, then Leicester at home. We have to be thinking that's 9 from 9.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

LINE OF THE WEEK!! ;) :thumbsup:

Garbatellamike Aug 14th 2017 9:09 pm

I didn't see Citeh - heard it was a laboured win

Very comfortable in possession but didn't create enough - comfortable win against a side, joking aside, who did play with a back 8 i.e. 8-2-0 to try for a 0-0.

Aguero should have had another and Jesus a couple if they'd bought their shooting boots

zargof Aug 14th 2017 9:32 pm

No chance of that since your missus left...

yellowroom Aug 14th 2017 10:48 pm

...I know you all care really....

Hull City had a good win (4-1) on Saturday, admittedly against one of the favourite teams for relegation (Burton Albion). Felt good to put the Spurs humiliation to bed - but to be honest the gap between us and them was as big as between us and Spurs. We haven't got the fastest squad in the league, but every player was beating Albion in runs down the pitch.

Mind you, we had a good start last season too. Wolves tomorrow night, might be a proper test for home form.