British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Locker Room (https://britishexpats.com/forum/locker-room-66/)
-   -   British football thread 2017-2018 (https://britishexpats.com/forum/locker-room-66/british-football-thread-2017-2018-a-896758/)

jam25mack Jun 12th 2017 6:44 am

Re: British football thread 2017-2018
 

Originally Posted by zargof (Post 12270760)
I'm not angry. I don't know why you think that.

I just hope it doesn't take Utd fans as long as it's taken Liverpool fans to realize they're no longer relevant.

I love a good Monday morning bite..... ;) So here goes.

Comparing a team who've never won the EPL to one who won it only 4-5yrs ago is waaaay to much of a stretch so I'll just leave that alone.

The thing is tho, United fans enjoy this kind of chat from the ABUs as it means people are starting to get worried again. As irrelevant as you say we are, we are still one of the big European powerhouses with significant pulling power and we all know that everyone's got a little bit of the green eyed monster in them. :lol: :rofl: With United apparently being so irrelevant but still making most of the headlines it must be quite annoying.

Obviously I'll admit that since we last won the EPL we've been a bit shit on more than one occasion, however, as shit as we've been, we've also managed to win 4 trophies. Some were relevant and some less so, however, the thing is, if these trophies are so irrelevant and so easy to win should you not be asking yourself why your clubs haven't won any of them recently? When was the last time Everton or Spurs had the need to call up Hertz to hire an open top bus....? The mid nineties for Everton....and a decade ago for Spurs with the league cup, or nearly 3 decades ago for the FA Cup.....!

And on the flip side we have Chelsea and City who have had their own issues in the last 5yrs. It's not like either of these teams has dominated the EPL or the CL either. Yes, they have they been better than United over this period, sure they have, however strangely enough in my opinion they don't make as much noise as Arsenal and now Spurs fans do, and they've won pretty much bugger all, except Arsenal who do the rest of the league a favour by taking home the FA cup every few seasons which keeps Wenger in long jackets.

With a decent bit of business and a bit of luck United will improve again next season and I'm sure will be competing. So far Lindelof has signed, Morata is apparently near enough done and dusted and Fabinho has been heavily linked and has publicly stated he wants to come.... they don't sound too irrelevant to me.

pommybird Jun 12th 2017 6:46 am

Re: British football thread 2017-2018
 

Originally Posted by ededed (Post 12270966)
You are certifiably insane. :rofl:

Finishing 2nd, winning nothing in 10 years and then not getting out of the group stages of the CL every year is not "playing for important prizes". On a trophy by trophy measure, you're Burnley.

Winning 2 cup competitions (out of the 4 available) in a highly transitional season trumps your choking excuse for a year by a factor of about 20.

You actually believe some of the stuff you write, don't you? I used to think you were fishing, but now I think you've turned into a parody of yourself.

Let's be serious for a moment, money buys trophies, hence you won some last season, but can you honestly say, as an ardent and lifelong Man U fan, that you enjoyed one game last season, seeing your team play under Mourinho and his boring park the bus tactics?

Scamp Jun 12th 2017 6:53 am

Re: British football thread 2017-2018
 

Originally Posted by pommybird (Post 12270975)
Let's be serious for a moment, money buys trophies, hence you won some last season, but can you honestly say, as an ardent and lifelong Man U fan, that you enjoyed one game last season, seeing your team play under Mourinho and his boring park the bus tactics?

You will find I accurately predicted when he was appointed that they won't care as long as they win trophies.
Just like I would have cared a lot less than I do about how awful we were all season if we'd won the League Cup.

pommybird Jun 12th 2017 6:58 am

Re: British football thread 2017-2018
 

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12270978)
You will find I accurately predicted when he was appointed that they won't care as long as they win trophies.
Just like I would have cared a lot less than I do about how awful we were all season if we'd won the League Cup.

Well that's where you and me differ, yes we won nothing last season, but as far as I'm concerned, as a Spurs fan it's been the most enjoyable, entertaining and exciting season of football I have seen us play.

Scamp Jun 12th 2017 7:19 am

Re: British football thread 2017-2018
 

Originally Posted by pommybird (Post 12270979)
Well that's where you and me differ, yes we won nothing last season, but as far as I'm concerned, as a Spurs fan it's been the most enjoyable, entertaining and exciting season of football I have seen us play.

No, we're almost the same. We were dreadful to watch last year and if we'd won something I'd have been slightly less bothered about how god awful we were.

If we were playing great football and won nothing, I'd still be very happy.

jam25mack Jun 12th 2017 7:21 am

Re: British football thread 2017-2018
 

Originally Posted by pommybird (Post 12270979)
Well that's where you and me differ, yes we won nothing last season, but as far as I'm concerned, as a Spurs fan it's been the most enjoyable, entertaining and exciting season of football I have seen us play.

Which is great! But their is more than one way to skin a cat. Jose was brought in to steady the ship and re-build, which is what he is doing.

Stage 1. Stop losing as much / make us hard to beat. He has done this by turning our loses into draws unfortunately. :blink: If this equates to more defensive / boring football for a season or two then so be it. It's always best to build from the back.

Stage 2. Build a team. Bring in players who he wants in the positions he needs. Unfortunately we had several players this season who just didn't perform and I'm sure a few will be more than a bit worried. Then towards the end our injuries and game pile up punished us.

Stage 3. Start winning more. Once Jose has a team of his building (assuming he doesn't go mental and get sacked that is) then the football will improve. It's unfair to say he's one dimensional. At Chelsea he was defensive at the beginning but he certainly wasn't at Porto or Real.

With regards to Spurs, its great you have some decent young players who are playing decent football but bringing them through is one thing, keeping them is another. Playing decent football is great but players want to win things. No one looks back at the end of their playing career and thinks that was a great 2nd place. It will only be a season or two of nearlies before your decent players loyalties start to wain when other teams start offering decent wages and the potential for a cup or two.

pommybird Jun 12th 2017 9:19 am

Re: British football thread 2017-2018
 

Originally Posted by jam25mack (Post 12270991)
Which is great! But their is more than one way to skin a cat. Jose was brought in to steady the ship and re-build, which is what he is doing.

Stage 1. Stop losing as much / make us hard to beat. He has done this by turning our loses into draws unfortunately. :blink: If this equates to more defensive / boring football for a season or two then so be it. It's always best to build from the back.

Stage 2. Build a team. Bring in players who he wants in the positions he needs. Unfortunately we had several players this season who just didn't perform and I'm sure a few will be more than a bit worried. Then towards the end our injuries and game pile up punished us.

Stage 3. Start winning more. Once Jose has a team of his building (assuming he doesn't go mental and get sacked that is) then the football will improve. It's unfair to say he's one dimensional. At Chelsea he was defensive at the beginning but he certainly wasn't at Porto or Real.

With regards to Spurs, its great you have some decent young players who are playing decent football but bringing them through is one thing, keeping them is another. Playing decent football is great but players want to win things. No one looks back at the end of their playing career and thinks that was a great 2nd place. It will only be a season or two of nearlies before your decent players loyalties start to wain when other teams start offering decent wages and the potential for a cup or two.

Not sure about the Mourinho master plan, but can't disagree on the Spurs stuff, hope Levy wakes up and smells the coffee with wages.

ededed Jun 12th 2017 12:05 pm

Re: British football thread 2017-2018
 

Originally Posted by pommybird (Post 12270975)
Let's be serious for a moment, money buys trophies, hence you won some last season, but can you honestly say, as an ardent and lifelong Man U fan, that you enjoyed one game last season, seeing your team play under Mourinho and his boring park the bus tactics?

I enjoyed beating Chelsea and Spurs at home, yes. Didn't park the bus either time and ran out easy winners.

We drew 0-0 with Burnley, with 30+ shots on goal. Damn that parked bus!

Etc, etc, etc,

pommybird Jun 12th 2017 1:06 pm

Re: British football thread 2017-2018
 

Originally Posted by ededed (Post 12271156)
I enjoyed beating Chelsea and Spurs at home, yes. Didn't park the bus either time and ran out easy winners.

We drew 0-0 with Burnley, with 30+ shots on goal. Damn that parked bus!

Etc, etc, etc,

Ah yes, we were utter gash that day and you put one past us...

JamesM Jun 12th 2017 1:58 pm

Re: British football thread 2017-2018
 

Originally Posted by ededed (Post 12271156)
I enjoyed beating Chelsea and Spurs at home, yes. Didn't park the bus either time and ran out easy winners.


Originally Posted by pommybird (Post 12271193)
Ah yes, we were utter gash that day and you put one past us...

If memory serves Wanyama missed a free header that day. Would have been 1-1 otherwise.

Spurs started slow and United made several decent chances taking the lead. After that for 60 minutes it was a relatively dull affair other than the Wanyama miss.

Still it was United's marquee performance in the Premier League according to Ed. Each to their own. Although I guess they scored a goal so........

JamesM Jun 12th 2017 2:03 pm

Re: British football thread 2017-2018
 

Originally Posted by jam25mack (Post 12270956)
FTFY

It is amusing how you seem to think nearly winning something is a result.

It's amusing that you finished 6th, four places behind Spurs who have a much better team than you despite your embarrassment of riches.;)

Please amuse me further :lol::amen:

JamesM Jun 12th 2017 2:13 pm

Re: British football thread 2017-2018
 

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12270921)
Maybe Kyle Walker is a winner and wants to compete for the League?

Who is Kyle Walker-Peters? I assumed that was a joke name?

I assumed it was a joke name when I first heard it. I started getting confused when there was a second Moussa Dembele???

But KWP was one of the stand out players in the U20's World Cup side. He can play on the right and left. We're blessed with 3 good right back's so happy to cash in with the one we can get silly money for.

I'm not convinced City will challenge with Guardiola and I doubt if they do it will be next season because of the overhaul.

The only reasons Walker will move is that Poch has started to drop him and he will make double the money at City.

jam25mack Jun 12th 2017 4:10 pm

Re: British football thread 2017-2018
 

Originally Posted by JamesM (Post 12271247)
It's amusing that you finished 6th, four places behind Spurs who have a much better team than you despite your embarrassment of riches.;)

Please amuse me further :lol::amen:

Yawn..... last season is over.... and your team won bugger all yet again.

Let's see who has the better team when the next season starts......

zargof Jun 12th 2017 4:54 pm

Re: British football thread 2017-2018
 

Originally Posted by jam25mack (Post 12270974)
I love a good Monday morning bite..... ;) So here goes.

The thing is tho, United fans enjoy this kind of chat from the ABUs as it means people are starting to get worried again.

I cut the rest of this, as this is the only part that's relevant. This whole ABU thing that Man Utd fans obsess about is what I was talking about. Any criticism aimed at your club is dismissed as this ABU nonsense. If you look at my posts you'll see I criticise pretty much every club including my own. Your shower aren't special.

JamesM Jun 12th 2017 5:26 pm

Re: British football thread 2017-2018
 

Originally Posted by zargof (Post 12271379)
I cut the rest of this, as this is the only part that's relevant. This whole ABU thing that Man Utd fans obsess about is what I was talking about. Any criticism aimed at your club is dismissed as this ABU nonsense. If you look at my posts you'll see I criticise pretty much every club including my own. Your shower aren't special.

They have a chip on their shoulder. It's the plastic fan thing.......

JamesM Jun 12th 2017 5:30 pm

Re: British football thread 2017-2018
 

Originally Posted by jam25mack (Post 12270974)
I love a good Monday morning bite..... ;) So here goes.

Comparing a team who've never won the EPL to one who won it only 4-5yrs ago is waaaay to much of a stretch so I'll just leave that alone.


Originally Posted by jam25mack (Post 12271346)
Yawn..... last season is over.... and your team won bugger all yet again.

Let's see who has the better team when the next season starts......

You've gone from trying to rub the past in other peoples faces to not wanting to talk about it now.

You won trophies that the other big clubs didn't want or need to play for.

It's like being top of the third string maths class in high school and trying to rub it in the face of someone in first string. Nobody in the first string cares you are best of the rest because they are smarter than you.

It's pitiful how far Manchester United "fans" have fallen. Chelsea are winning proper plastic so go and switch allegiance, create a new user name and come back :thumbup:

DaveLovesDee Jun 12th 2017 6:31 pm

Re: British football thread 2017-2018
 
http://www.nerddogueto.com.br/wordpr...05/popcorn.gif

JamesM Jun 12th 2017 11:25 pm

Re: British football thread 2017-2018
 

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12271446)

Getting back to the proper football discussion that us rationale fans prefer to have.

I saw Sanchez is likely on his way to City.

Do you think Mahrez could full his void and what else is Wenger going to do to try and elevate you back?

Scamp Jun 13th 2017 4:58 am

Re: British football thread 2017-2018
 

Originally Posted by JamesM (Post 12271258)
I assumed it was a joke name when I first heard it. I started getting confused when there was a second Moussa Dembele???

But KWP was one of the stand out players in the U20's World Cup side. He can play on the right and left. We're blessed with 3 good right back's so happy to cash in with the one we can get silly money for.

Just googled Kyle Walker Peters.

He was born in 1997 and is 20 years old.

That makes even me feel old. Ededed will cry when he sees.

jam25mack Jun 13th 2017 7:50 am

Re: British football thread 2017-2018
 

Originally Posted by JamesM (Post 12271407)
You've gone from trying to rub the past in other peoples faces to not wanting to talk about it now.

No I didn't. I said openly we've been shit, but at least we have won something recently, I.e. this season. Not once did I mention our illustrious history, unless you are talking about me referring to the fact that we last won the EPL in 2012-13. If 5yrs ago counts as distant history then does your inane chatter about last season count as history too? Where is this imaginary history line?

At the end of the day Spurs have won nothing in forever. All they've done is play some nice football on occasions, bottled the league twice in the last 2 seasons, done nothing in any of the cups and been bang average in Europe....... but here you are sounding more and more like the Arsenal fans you deride and as a club take the piss out of.

Once you win something feel free to have a go but when you've not its just ridiculous


You won trophies that the other big clubs didn't want or need to play for.

Bollocks. If you are talking about Spurs as a big club then I'm sure your team would have loved to have actually won something seeing as it has been so very long. This opinion that clubs don't want to win or can't be bothered with certain competitions has been skewed. Yes if you are battling for the title or in several different competitions or on a knife edge for top 4 then by all means play a second string team in the lesser competitions but if you're not in this situation then why wouldn't you not want to win a trophy?

It's like being top of the third string maths class in high school and trying to rub it in the face of someone in first string. Nobody in the first string cares you are best of the rest because they are smarter than you.

That would be a great analogy if you hadn't been in the Europa League and been knocked out by Gent, or are you going to claim Spurs didn't want to win the Europa League because they're now above that particular competition seeing as they have been so dominant in the champions league?

It's pitiful how far Manchester United "fans" have fallen. Chelsea are winning proper plastic so go and switch allegiance, create a new user name and come back :thumbup:

Ehh, so now I'm a plastic fan. :lol: Surely, surely you have better banter than average school ground chat that that??? Like seriously..... that is just embarrassing. My seven yr old niece has witter repartee than that.

;)

pommybird Jun 13th 2017 9:38 am

Re: British football thread 2017-2018
 
OK ladies, time to calm down and I know just the thing we all need....a little bit of one season wonder Harry and baby Ivy (you're welcome).



https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C_0UfLpXgAMguJc.jpg

ededed Jun 13th 2017 10:33 am

Re: British football thread 2017-2018
 

Originally Posted by JamesM (Post 12271240)
If memory serves Wanyama missed a free header that day. Would have been 1-1 otherwise.

Spurs started slow and United made several decent chances taking the lead. After that for 60 minutes it was a relatively dull affair other than the Wanyama miss.

Still it was United's marquee performance in the Premier League according to Ed. Each to their own. Although I guess they scored a goal so........

I was there mate. Spurs were awful. Bottled it that day, which set the tone for end of the season. Stoke were harder to beat.

ededed Jun 13th 2017 10:39 am

Re: British football thread 2017-2018
 

Originally Posted by JamesM (Post 12271606)
Getting back to the proper football discussion that us rationale fans prefer to have.

I saw Sanchez is likely on his way to City.

Do you think Mahrez could full his void and what else is Wenger going to do to try and elevate you back?

No-one cares. It's all about United, silly. ;)

Seriously - never believe the hype until they are standing on the pitch with a scarf above their heads and a "I wish I'd signed for Real Madrid" goofy grin on their face.

Sanchez is quality, Mahrez strikes me as Payet-like, in that he's technically Messi, but mentally Winterburn.


Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12271732)
Just googled Kyle Walker Peters.

He was born in 1997 and is 20 years old.

That makes even me feel old. Ededed will cry when he sees.

Jesus. 8 years older than me.

(Jesus is 8 years older than me)

Scamp Jun 13th 2017 11:00 am

Re: British football thread 2017-2018
 

Originally Posted by ededed (Post 12271951)
(Jesus is 8 years older than me)

He's more believable too.

ededed Jun 13th 2017 11:06 am

Re: British football thread 2017-2018
 

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12271984)
He's more believable too.

We both get hammered by tax around Easter.

DaveLovesDee Jun 13th 2017 11:10 am

Re: British football thread 2017-2018
 

Originally Posted by JamesM (Post 12271606)
Getting back to the proper football discussion that us rationale fans prefer to have.

I saw Sanchez is likely on his way to City.

Do you think Mahrez could full his void and what else is Wenger going to do to try and elevate you back?

As I understand it, Sanchez has been offered a new £280,000 a week deal. I think he'll sign.

Mahrez hasn't done so well without Kante behind him this season, but apparently we're close to agreeing 60 million for Lacazette.

Scamp Jun 13th 2017 11:15 am

Re: British football thread 2017-2018
 

Originally Posted by ededed (Post 12271991)
We both get hammered by tax around Easter.

Could be worse. You could win the league in October every year only to find out it's not how it works.

https://pics.onsizzle.com/mum-liverp...ad-8763765.png

JamesM Jun 13th 2017 12:32 pm

Re: British football thread 2017-2018
 

Originally Posted by ededed (Post 12271951)
No-one cares. It's all about United, silly. ;)

Seriously - never believe the hype until they are standing on the pitch with a scarf above their heads and a "I wish I'd signed for Real Madrid" goofy grin on their face.

Sanchez is quality, Mahrez strikes me as Payet-like, in that he's technically Messi, but mentally Winterburn.



Jesus. 8 years older than me.

(Jesus is 8 years older than me)

Agree on all points.

Mahrez is a bit fair weather. Still rather have him than Sissoko mind you. Newcastle are promoted perhaps they'll need him back.

Your age changes like your underwear.

Still two months till kick off????? What do we do till then???? I got 15 minutes out of arguing with JMac now I have another 86,000 minutes to kill.....

Garbatellamike Jun 13th 2017 12:49 pm

Re: British football thread 2017-2018
 

Originally Posted by ededed (Post 12271951)
(Jesus is 8 years older than me)

wow 2009 years old - no wonder you are slowing down a bit ;)

pommybird Jun 13th 2017 1:53 pm

Re: British football thread 2017-2018
 

Originally Posted by JamesM (Post 12272059)

Still two months till kick off????? What do we do till then???? I got 15 minutes out of arguing with JMac now I have another 86,000 minutes to kill.....

1. Bottling it talk
2. Trajectory talk
3. Pictures of babies
4. Stalking footballers on Twitter on their holidays, seeing who's got the best 6 pack (or who's got the most stunning WAG for you lot)

(Where's Cainess, is he still trying to post on the closed 'Premier league 2016/2017' thread?)

JamesM Jun 13th 2017 1:53 pm

Re: British football thread 2017-2018
 

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike (Post 12272070)
wow 2009 years old - no wonder you are slowing down a bit ;)

He has the extra 5 yards in his head now as opposed to his legs.

ededed Jun 13th 2017 3:03 pm

Re: British football thread 2017-2018
 
Pickford to Everton then for £30m. Could be an absolute bargain. Especially when he then gets sold on to Barcelona for £60m in 6months. Good business either way.

I was hoping United would get him, especially if/when DDG goes to Spain. He's obviously just decided to join a big club instead.

ededed Jun 13th 2017 3:04 pm

Re: British football thread 2017-2018
 

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike (Post 12272070)
wow 2009 years old - no wonder you are slowing down a bit ;)


Originally Posted by JamesM (Post 12272121)
He has the extra 5 yards in his head now as opposed to his legs.

I have deceptive pace. I'm slower than I look.

Garbatellamike Jun 13th 2017 3:12 pm

Re: British football thread 2017-2018
 

Originally Posted by ededed (Post 12272192)
I have deceptive pace. I'm slower than I look.

Was that not Bill Shankley describing a Utd player originally?

zargof Jun 13th 2017 3:21 pm

Re: British football thread 2017-2018
 

Originally Posted by ededed (Post 12272191)
Pickford to Everton then for £30m. Could be an absolute bargain. Especially when he then gets sold on to Barcelona for £60m in 6months. Good business either way.

I was hoping United would get him, especially if/when DDG goes to Spain. He's obviously just decided to join a big club instead.

Yeah, he's a good player and a definite upgrade on what we have now.

Speaking of DDG, has Woodward plugged the fax machine back in yet?

Scamp Jun 13th 2017 3:46 pm

Re: British football thread 2017-2018
 

Originally Posted by zargof (Post 12272205)
Yeah, he's a good player and a definite upgrade on what we have now.

Speaking of DDG, has Woodward plugged the fax machine back in yet?

He's still under the desk, rocking back and forth telling himself he is good at his job.

JamesM Jun 13th 2017 3:47 pm

Re: British football thread 2017-2018
 
Just heard the Premier League Schedule is released tomorrow!

We could be back in business.

SpoogleDrummer Jun 13th 2017 3:54 pm

Re: British football thread 2017-2018
 

Originally Posted by ededed (Post 12272191)
Pickford to Everton then for £30m. Could be an absolute bargain. Especially when he then gets sold on to Barcelona for £60m in 6months. Good business either way.

I was hoping United would get him, especially if/when DDG goes to Spain. He's obviously just decided to join a big club instead.

Sunderland just prefer shipping their keepers to Liverpool. Is Pickford actually good or is he just English so good until the press decide he's shit?

zargof Jun 13th 2017 4:10 pm

Re: British football thread 2017-2018
 

Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer (Post 12272237)
Sunderland just prefer shipping their keepers to Liverpool. Is Pickford actually good or is he just English so good until the press decide he's shit?

From everything I've seen I think he is a good keeper, personally I would have preferred Heaton from Burnley, but happy with him.

He definitely made plenty of save last season, but because Sunlun were so bad still shipped plenty of goals. The big thing for keepers at the top level is having the concentration to pull off a top quality save in the 92nd minute when you've had nothing to do all game.

JamesM Jun 13th 2017 5:06 pm

Re: British football thread 2017-2018
 

Originally Posted by zargof (Post 12272258)
From everything I've seen I think he is a good keeper, personally I would have preferred Heaton from Burnley, but happy with him.

He definitely made plenty of save last season, but because Sunlun were so bad still shipped plenty of goals. The big thing for keepers at the top level is having the concentration to pull off a top quality save in the 92nd minute when you've had nothing to do all game.

Not good news for Joe Hart. He will end up rotting on the bench at City now unless of course he is now destined for Tyneside.


All times are GMT. The time now is 1:04 pm.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.