British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Locker Room (https://britishexpats.com/forum/locker-room-66/)
-   -   British football thread 2017-2018 (https://britishexpats.com/forum/locker-room-66/british-football-thread-2017-2018-a-896758/)

SpoogleDrummer Aug 1st 2017 8:17 pm

Re: British football thread 2017-2018

I see Inter Milan want to buy Mane for 1M more than we paid for him. I wonder if Wenger has been giving them advice on how to bid for someone but making sure it's such a low offer there's no chance it will be accepted.

Cainess Aug 1st 2017 11:23 pm

Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer (Post 12307113)
I see Inter Milan want to buy Mane for 1M more than we paid for him. I wonder if Wenger has been giving them advice on how to bid for someone but making sure it's such a low offer there's no chance it will be accepted.

I'd say JK feels the same way about that bid as he does about the thought of Wee Phil heading off to sun his butt on the beach at Barca.... :sneaky:

Either way, I wish they'd just hurry up and get it done if it's going to happen, so I can finalise my winning Fantasy team... ;)

It's getting close to the time of year for Premier League Predictions, folks...get your caps on. :thumbup:

DaveLovesDee Aug 2nd 2017 12:29 am

Originally Posted by Cainess (Post 12307261)
It's getting close to the time of year for Premier League Predictions, folks...get your caps on. :thumbup:

What's the cut-off date? Close of transfer window?

ededed Aug 2nd 2017 9:10 am

Originally Posted by JamesM (Post 12307055)
Ed- Are you able to pin a thread at the top of the locker room with the Fantasy Football url and league number? Just for the next couple of weeks.

We only have 9 sign up's so far so it would beef it up and also it would save people having to track it down through here.

I'm re-entered :-).

Great shout - done.

Scamp Aug 2nd 2017 10:57 am

Neymar to PSG then.

Barca crying foul and saying they'll tell the teacher on PSG for breaking Financial Fair Play rules.

Nice to see some of the old school biggest clubs get bullied from time to time. Cry like total bitches. :thumbsup:

Cainess Aug 2nd 2017 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12307511)
Neymar to PSG then.

Barca crying foul and saying they'll tell the teacher on PSG for breaking Financial Fair Play rules.

Nice to see some of the old school biggest clubs get bullied from time to time. Cry like total bitches. :thumbsup:

More to the (Premier League) point.... goodbye young Phil Coutinho!? ;) Spoogle and the Anfield boys must have dreaded the Neymar deal going through, as it seems Phil is Barca's No. 1 target to 'replace' (guffaw) the Brazilian maestro....

Klopp will be furious if they do sell up, as he's pretty much put himself 'out there' declaring that they won't...and with 'paper mache man' Sturridge again breaking down during pre-season, the scouse need to keep every player they currently have.... :sneaky:

Scamp Aug 2nd 2017 2:17 pm

Coutinho going will not only be funny because they think they're going to win the league after beating Bayern last night, but it will give the Scouse Saints B Team the extra cash for Virgil Van Dijkhead too, so no complaints for me.

SpoogleDrummer Aug 2nd 2017 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by Cainess (Post 12307636)
More to the (Premier League) point.... goodbye young Phil Coutinho!? ;) Spoogle and the Anfield boys must have dreaded the Neymar deal going through, as it seems Phil is Barca's No. 1 target to 'replace' (guffaw) the Brazilian maestro....

Klopp will be furious if they do sell up, as he's pretty much put himself 'out there' declaring that they won't...and with 'paper mache man' Sturridge again breaking down during pre-season, the scouse need to keep every player they currently have.... :sneaky:

I'm not sure what will happen, some people think them buying Phil was to replace Neymar, others say it was to convince him to stay so I'm not sure a deal is more or less likely if PSG do come up with the cash for Neymar.

In today's market there's no way we could find a ready made replacement for him without getting fleeced so we'd be stupid to sell, we'd be better off hoping he did the same as Suarez and put out a better season than before in the hope of maintaining Barca's interest, then biting someone at the World Cup and getting a massive ban.

Cainess Aug 2nd 2017 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12307643)
Coutinho going will not only be funny because they think they're going to win the league after beating Bayern last night, but it will give the Scouse Saints B Team the extra cash for Virgil Van Dijkhead too, so no complaints for me.

You almost sound bitter, Scamp.... :sneaky:

van Dijk is a wanker for the way he's carrying on, but there's no denying his quality, so I hope the transfer doesn't happen as he's better than anything the Dippers currently have at CB.

Either way, Saints can (and will) demand £50m+ for his signature, so they will be quids in....

Cainess Aug 2nd 2017 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer (Post 12307667)
I'm not sure what will happen, some people think them buying Phil was to replace Neymar, others say it was to convince him to stay so I'm not sure a deal is more or less likely if PSG do come up with the cash for Neymar.

In today's market there's no way we could find a ready made replacement for him without getting fleeced so we'd be stupid to sell, we'd be better off hoping he did the same as Suarez and put out a better season than before in the hope of maintaining Barca's interest, then biting someone at the World Cup and getting a massive ban.

Not to piss on your parade, pal, but there's only ONE Suarez... wee Phil is a nice lad in comparison, and there's no way he's turning 'vampire' to help your lot out! :p

Agree that it would be a VERY bad decision for LFC if they sell, but if Barca stump up £100m+, I don't see FSG refusing it TBH, though JK's position as manager will have been undermined....

Scamp Aug 2nd 2017 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by Cainess (Post 12307669)

van Dijk is a wanker for the way he's carrying on, but there's no denying his quality, so I hope the transfer doesn't happen as he's better than anything the Dippers currently have at CB.

Either way, Saints can (and will) demand £50m+ for his signature, so they will be quids in....

If Kyle Walker is 50m, Van Dijkhead is worth more than Neymar.

He's genuinely a team-improving player. With him we looked solid, without him we looked (even when playing with a 'full strength' back line) shaky at times and missing a leader.
He's worth every penny of the huge transfer fee we'll get for him and I'm one of those Saints fans that wants him gone and a big fee taken rather than the opinions of 'let him rot in the reserves until his contract's over' - we're better than that as a club.

Maybe he'll leave and say he did us a favour signing a new deal but sadly the damage is done by being totally unprofessional.

Still, who cares. That's football now. Let's get a deal done so the Dutch fanny can leave and we have time to sign someone of quality to replace him and the overdue Fonte replacement.

SpoogleDrummer Aug 2nd 2017 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by Cainess (Post 12307669)

I agree in part, he shouldn't have signed a new contract if he wanted to leave, that's just greed so if he's been told to stay he should shut up and play. Whilst he does look good so did Lovren and he took ages to settle in. If we did sign him I'd expect him to be about as good as Matip, any better would be a bonus.

Scamp Aug 2nd 2017 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer (Post 12307681)
I agree in part, he shouldn't have signed a new contract if he wanted to leave, that's just greed so if he's been told to stay he should shut up and play. Whilst he does look good so did Lovren and he took ages to settle in. If we did sign him I'd expect him to be about as good as Matip, any better would be a bonus.

Light years ahead of Lovren. Having watched both, I can promise you're not buying a donkey. Lovren was well disguised at Saints and fooled me but the race horse suit got taken off somewhere outside your training ground and I can only apologise for that (not, WGAF?).

If I were a Prem chairman with a player like Virgil Van Helmet who is too good for my club, I'd beg them to sign a long contract and promise to flog the next summer, guaranteeing a big transfer fee and worst case, for the player, guaranteeing big wages and security if nobody comes knocking.

Cainess Aug 2nd 2017 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12307684)
Light years ahead of Lovren. Having watched both, I can promise you're not buying a donkey. Lovren was well disguised at Saints and fooled me but the race horse suit got taken off somewhere outside your training ground and I can only apologise for that (not, WGAF?).

If I were a Prem chairman with a player like Virgil Van Helmet who is too good for my club, I'd beg them to sign a long contract and promise to flog the next summer, guaranteeing a big transfer fee and worst case, for the player, guaranteeing big wages and security if nobody comes knocking.

That's a good point, and one I have heard some ex-pros talking about recently, especially with us signing Matic- some people were critical of Chelsea for selling a player to a rival, but the point being made was that the good players at the biggest clubs (who are getting big wages on long contracts) only have a VERY limited market, as the other 'lesser' clubs simply cannot or will not stump up a comparable wage packet to attract these guys to their clubs, so if you're Chelsea, and you're trying to offload a Matic or Costa, in reality there are only a small number of clubs in Europe who can afford to take them off your hands- in Matic's case, I think his clear desire to rejoin Jose was the deciding factor in him coming to OT rather than heading for Juventus, but there is a limited market for 'big' players to be sold on in...

ededed Aug 2nd 2017 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12307511)
Neymar to PSG then.

From Paddy Power...

The transfer butterfly effect:

Neymar to PSG
Coutinho to Barca
Mbappe to Madrid
Bale to Man Utd
Sissoko stays at Spurs because nobody cares

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12307679)
Let's get a deal done so the Dutch fanny can leave and we have time to sign someone of quality to replace him and the overdue Fonte replacement.

Phil Jones and Chris Smalling for £5m?

It'll be the best £5m we ever spend.