British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Locker Room (https://britishexpats.com/forum/locker-room-66/)
-   -   British football thread 2017-2018 (https://britishexpats.com/forum/locker-room-66/british-football-thread-2017-2018-a-896758/)

Cainess Jul 24th 2017 9:46 pm

Re: British football thread 2017-2018

Originally Posted by yellowroom (Post 12302160)
:goodpost: thanks - I've joined, my first ever fantasy football. All good fun!

Good luck yellowroom...it's good craic. ;)

yellowroom Jul 24th 2017 9:56 pm

Do people really study the stats n stuff? I've gone for a mix of sentimental favourites. Plus a couple of recommendations from my husband who is much better than me at this kind of thing.

Cainess Jul 24th 2017 10:11 pm

Originally Posted by yellowroom (Post 12302177)
Do people really study the stats n stuff? I've gone for a mix of sentimental favourites. Plus a couple of recommendations from my husband who is much better than me at this kind of thing.

Some people really spend a lot of time at it; NOW is the time to do just that, trying to get a decent team together. Once the season starts, you just swap a player or two in and out, though there is a 'wildcard' which allows you to totally scrap your team and pick a new one, but that is only once or twice in the season....

yellowroom Jul 24th 2017 10:38 pm

Well, it might be sentimental but apparently it's a "decent enough" selection and I still have £2m in the bank. Can't be doing with the faff of stats. Do we get to see each other's squads or just the results each week?

Cainess Jul 24th 2017 11:08 pm

Originally Posted by yellowroom (Post 12302195)
Well, it might be sentimental but apparently it's a "decent enough" selection and I still have £2m in the bank. Can't be doing with the faff of stats. Do we get to see each other's squads or just the results each week?

You can see everyone's squad once the season starts.

DaveLovesDee Jul 25th 2017 1:24 am

Originally Posted by yellowroom (Post 12302195)
Do we get to see each other's squads or just the results each week?

You'll get to see the other player's squads after each game week, but you won't get to see any changes to their squad for the coming gameweek until that gameweek has ended.

Scamp Jul 25th 2017 4:28 am

Honestly....I don't like admitting this but I genuinely try quite hard but am totally shit.

Stats are useful but I like to go with gut.

jam25mack Jul 25th 2017 5:52 am

I don't think I've ever seen a FF season through. I spend loads of time setting it up and then forget to change it after week 2.... so don't bother anymore.

Scamp Jul 25th 2017 6:35 am

Originally Posted by jam25mack (Post 12302404)
I don't think I've ever seen a FF season through. I spend loads of time setting it up and then forget to change it after week 2.... so don't bother anymore.

Poor effort really. Even Spurs can mount a challenge longer than two weeks (just).

yellowroom Jul 25th 2017 7:01 am

Thanks, have found the rules and read them, which helps. I am not convinced that me studying stats would yield any better result for me than picking players because I like them or they used to play for Hull City. Bit like picking Grand National runners because I liked their jersey colours.

I did ok in the Predictor on the BBC last year, so this is this years extra curricular interest!

jam25mack Jul 25th 2017 8:43 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12302419)
Poor effort really. Even Spurs can mount a challenge longer than two weeks (just).

It just rarely comes to mind and when it does i'm in the bar just before KO and I can't be arsed. I busy with other things to do then so don't have the time.

I'd rather spend the few mins I do get free pre KO to place a few cheeky bets.

ededed Jul 25th 2017 9:10 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12302367)
Honestly....I don't like admitting this but I genuinely try quite hard but am totally shit.

Stats are useful but I like to go with gut.

Originally Posted by jam25mack (Post 12302404)

Exactly.

I have been absolutely dreadful at this for years. I'll sell Kane the day before he scores 4, and buy Lloris the day before he concedes 5. This year I've done "auto fill" or whatever it's called - see if a random selection can beat my hours of study.

Scamp Jul 25th 2017 9:14 am

Originally Posted by ededed (Post 12302534)
Exactly.

I have been absolutely dreadful at this for years. I'll sell Kane the day before he scores 4, and buy Lloris the day before he concedes 5. This year I've done "auto fill" or whatever it's called - see if a random selection can beat my hours of study.

I've done the same and then changed loads.

Often the first team you pick will be good. Then tinkering means you **** yourself royally, like Spurs do when they're in the lead.

JamesM Jul 25th 2017 6:20 pm

The battle between heart and mind is the struggle for all fantasy Premier League players.

I'm terrible at it.

You need to have a handle on who is coming into form and what their next 6 games looks likes. Good luck with that though.

The game provides me with a deepened sense of humility.

Also if I move a striker into my team it is like a voodoo do. Their goals almost certainly dry up.

JamesM Jul 25th 2017 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by ededed (Post 12302534)
Exactly.

It reminds me of when 5 year olds out pick analysts on stock market predictions.

I couldn't do it to myself.