British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Locker Room (https://britishexpats.com/forum/locker-room-66/)
-   -   British football thread 2017-2018 (https://britishexpats.com/forum/locker-room-66/british-football-thread-2017-2018-a-896758/)

DaveLovesDee May 20th 2018 12:52 pm

Re: British football thread 2017-2018

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by ededed (Post 12502525)

I used to have staff for all this. Thanks for the tip - will try it next time!

Doesnt seem worth it for kids shirts, and the wife doesn’t work so she’s my domestic help. It’s been ace weather here lately. I’ve just cut the grass in my shorts and muscle vest. I looked like the Rock.

This one?

GeniB May 20th 2018 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12502404)
I actually thought it turned out to be at least a half decent cup final.

Chelsea deserved the win for executing a game plan perfectly. They could have had another penalty when Young definitely blocked the ball with his arm and should have been cruising anyway because how Jones wasn't sent off is beyond me.

Lukaku is a total waste of space, Rashford tried but just isn't good enough and Chelsea were allowed to sit back and casually defend against what were very, very poor attacks. Ashley Young should be ashamed for the way he continues to behave as a human being, ignoring the diving which is just cheating, the whining, scrapping, shouting, abusing linesmen and all the other carry on is just him trying to mask the obvious deficiencies in his brain cell count and skill. He's not alone by any stretch but he stood out a mile yesterday. Whining instead of competing. That's why they lost.

I'm a lover of Mourinho but that wasn't a proper Man United cup final side.

Ededed - Sorry to hear the sad news.

:goodpost: Haven't watched 'my team' in a long while as I find them very poor considering what they get paid,the quality training facilities.. etc. Its not the ManU of old... but then it's 99% foreign players now... Nothing for locals to support anymore... I have to listen to my OH going mad about Man City... but he has a point.. a good team... I thought the FA cup was one of the poorest efforts I've seen in a,long while.. If I was cynical I would say it had been fixed.... Some of the attacking from the Man U side ? A rabbit would have had more aggression... plus better eye sight......

JamesM May 20th 2018 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer (Post 12502369)
Sorry to hear that. Losing the mother-in-law and now your mate in the same week must be rough. Oh well, we'll lose next week so that will cheer you up.

Nonsense. It's your year!

Liverpool plan Champions League victory parade | Football News | Sky Sports

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12502437)
Why do kids need ironed shirts anyway? They're only going to be under a jumper because it's cold or messed up as soon as they've left the house?
Surely there's a local ironing lady or something? My dry cleaner presses my shirts, which is lovely.

I abandoned dress shirts a while ago and invested in half a dozen polo shirts for work. I don't miss the suiting and booting I had to do when I worked in London.

ededed May 20th 2018 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by JamesM (Post 12502632)
I abandoned dress shirts a while ago and invested in half a dozen polo shirts for work. I don't miss the suiting and booting I had to do when I worked in London.

2 of the best things about my job - I can wear what I like, and I don’t have to shave every day.

They’ve asked me to run the London office though... I’m considering my options.

DaveLovesDee May 20th 2018 10:51 pm

Originally Posted by ededed (Post 12502761)
2 of the best things about my job - I can wear what I like, and I don’t have to shave every day.

Do it if the money's good enough. Do they pay for return flights and accommodation?

Scamp May 21st 2018 4:16 am

Originally Posted by JamesM (Post 12502632)
Nonsense. It's your year!

Liverpool plan Champions League victory parade Football News Sky Sports

That's brilliant!
I don't mind being smart and wearing the odd tie, but then when you go to a wedding there's no joy in dressing smart because it's a work suit, shirt and probably tie. Just the pocket square to jazz things up a bit and then you feel like a twat for looking forward to a pocket square.

Don't do it. It's a tricky, crafty and clever city...I was back for a few days around the May bank holiday, London was sunny, buzzing, busy, fun, outside, good looking and the beer flowed on the streets.
But you must not ever, ever forget that London is actually rancid and every single Londoner or person who works in London is a dickhead. Without fail or exception. They're all smug helmets who......wait. Hang on. Maybe London is for you mate, go for it.

ededed May 21st 2018 6:25 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12502852)
Don't do it. It's a tricky, crafty and clever city...I was back for a few days around the May bank holiday, London was sunny, buzzing, busy, fun, outside, good looking and the beer flowed on the streets.
But you must not ever, ever forget that London is actually rancid and every single Londoner or person who works in London is a dickhead. Without fail or exception. They're all smug helmets who......wait. Hang on. Maybe London is for you mate, go for it.

Well, it’s Chiswick. So not exactly the City. And I could live up the M4 - so ride the bike to work (and be 50 miles closer to Old Trafford - and a lot closer to every away game except Newcastle). The money is great, the kids hate Scottish schools (and Scottish people are wankers). And of course I’d be closer to Pommy. That’s a reason in itself.

Scamp May 21st 2018 6:45 am

Originally Posted by ededed (Post 12502883)
Well, it’s Chiswick. So not exactly the City. And I could live up the M4 - so ride the bike to work (and be 50 miles closer to Old Trafford - and a lot closer to every away game except Newcastle). The money is great, the kids hate Scottish schools (and Scottish people are wankers). And of course I’d be closer to Pommy. That’s a reason in itself.

Sounds like a good move to me, you'll be able to rejoin all the Club United Non-Northern Team's (C.U.N.T.'s) that you were part of before.

DaveLovesDee May 21st 2018 8:53 am

Well, it’s Chiswick. So not exactly the City. And I could live up the M4 - so ride the bike to work (and be 50 miles closer to Old Trafford

High Wycombe/Maidenhead/Reading/Bracknell areas are all places with easy access to the M40/M4. Reading is only an hour away in average Monday morning traffic.

ededed May 21st 2018 9:12 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12502895)
Sounds like a good move to me, you'll be able to rejoin all the Club United Non-Northern Team's (C.U.N.T.'s) that you were part of before.

Excellent point. The drive home from United is easy as no-one is going north after a game except me. If I do this I’ll be with every other tosses heading down the M6.

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12502931)
High Wycombe/Maidenhead/Reading/Bracknell areas are all places with easy access to the M40/M4. Reading is only an hour away in average Monday morning traffic.

Yeah, we’ve looked at Berkshire. Seems an easy commute and good train links for getting home after I’ve had a beer after work. House prices don’t seem mental either, and the schools look good. No deep fried Irn Bru pie on the menu.

DaveLovesDee May 21st 2018 9:48 am

Originally Posted by ededed (Post 12502939)
Excellent point. The drive home from United is easy as no-one is going north after a game except me. If I do this I’ll be with every other tosses heading down the M6.

Yeah, but you're not usually playing at home the same day City. or Liverpool do......

Yeah, we’ve looked at Berkshire. Seems an easy commute and good train links for getting home after I’ve had a beer after work. House prices don’t seem mental either, and the schools look good. No deep fried Irn Bru pie on the menu.
I can give you the recipe if you'd like. :p

Given a choice, I'd go for High Wycombe. The traffic into and out of London is slightly less mental {and you avoid Heathrow traffic}, and you have better options for alternate routes, and the walking/running in the Chilterns is very nice. Check out Wendover Woods.

pommybird May 21st 2018 12:42 pm

Well come the World Cup, we've been bantering for exactly 8 years, so I think moving to within 100 mile radius of me is the least you can do!

Have you looked at Hertfordshire? All the home counties come with a premium of course because of the commutable to London thing, but parts of Hertfordshire are beautiful, St Albans, Ware, Harpenden. We used to live in St Albans, I loved it, and there are some great secondary schools round there.

JamesM May 21st 2018 6:10 pm

Yeah I'm down to shaving just twice a week.

I remember some years back when I worked in commercial banking people bitching at me because I didn't shave everyday. Tossers!

Now I sport armani stubble 24/7 :thumbsup:

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12502931)

Kind of my part of the world. Bracknell is pretty much a shit hole. Reading has a lot but is a traffic hell hole too.

I'd look to get a place between Richmond/Chertsey and be as kind on your commute as possible even if it costs a little more.

pommybird May 21st 2018 8:32 pm

Ah, just realised you would be working in Chiswick and not central London, Hertfordshire is probably out then. Agree with James about Bracknell and Reading, steer clear.

Scamp May 22nd 2018 5:11 am

Nagogogngognogalan left out the Belgian squad.
Chadli and Januzaj included.

Nainggolan throws toys out pram and retires from international football.

Martinez might be doing England a favour by being a terrible manager? Or should we fear his cup pedigree?