British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Locker Room (https://britishexpats.com/forum/locker-room-66/)
-   -   British football thread 2017-2018 (https://britishexpats.com/forum/locker-room-66/british-football-thread-2017-2018-a-896758/)

Scamp May 11th 2018 4:49 pm

Re: British football thread 2017-2018

Originally Posted by Cainess (Post 12497641)
As to your faint praise for de Gea...he has been the best keeper in the world for at least 18 months now..

Alex McCarthy is better.

ededed May 11th 2018 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12497757)

Alex McCarthy is better.

Alex McCarthy didn’t play behind Victor Lindelof.

zargof May 11th 2018 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by ededed (Post 12497778)

If that's how you're judging it, then Jordan Pickford had Ashley Williams in front of him.

SpoogleDrummer May 11th 2018 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by zargof (Post 12497784)
If that's how you're judging it, then Jordan Pickford had Ashley Williams in front of him.

Mignolet had Moreno,Lovren and Klavan/Matip.

Garbatellamike May 11th 2018 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by Cainess (Post 12497641)
Yes....NOT happy at all (not that it mattered in the BE league, but it really killed me in a couple of the other leagues I compete in...). Trust citeh to let you down when you put some faith in them...I almost feel like a Blue must have done for the last 50-odd years until the Arab oil money arrived....right Michael?! :sneaky:

As to your faint praise for de Gea...he has been the best keeper in the world for at least 18 months now, with his only real rival (Neuer) out crocked (which is why Bayern will be watching Real Madrid beat the Dippers in Kiev instead of doing that themselves.... :fingerscrossed:)... just hope Navas has the game of his career, to avert covetous Spanish eyes away from Old Trafford this summer....

to your first point... YES indeed

to your second I stress no faint praise for DeGea he is my pick for player of the season ahead of KdB and Salah as you'd be a lot lower in the table without him and he must have nerves of steel playing behind Jones, Smalling and Rojo

Garbatellamike May 11th 2018 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by ededed (Post 12497778)

:goodpost:

DaveLovesDee May 11th 2018 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike (Post 12497804)
to your first point... YES indeed

to your second I stress no faint praise for DeGea he is my pick for player of the season ahead of KdB and Salah as you'd be a lot lower in the table without him and he must have nerves of steel playing behind Jones, Smalling and Rojo

Swansea would have been relegated earlier without Fabianski.....

Garbatellamike May 11th 2018 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12497829)
Swansea would have been relegated earlier without Fabianski.....

true and we would not be breaking records without Ederson but DeGea is still at a higher level at mo

ededed May 12th 2018 6:51 am

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike (Post 12497852)
true and we would not be breaking records without Ederson but DeGea is still at a higher level at mo

I think Ederson is terrific. Playing as a sweeper allows City to play so much higher up the pitch. De Gea’s big weakness is crosses. He’s still rooted to his goal line. That means United end up defending deep. I still wouldn’t swap him, but I hope next season we get some mobile defenders / wingers that means he doesn’t need to make 3 or 4 worldly saves every game.

2 more weekends of the English season. So almost time to fire up the rumour mill. This thread will close just in time to stop any Scousers posting after the European Cup. Unless they lose of course....

DaveLovesDee May 12th 2018 8:35 am

Originally Posted by ededed (Post 12498006)
This thread will close just in time to stop any Scousers posting after the European Cup. Unless they lose of course....

It'll be close. They don't have a Gerrard wandering out of position this time, but the do have an Alonso (Salah) to save them.

Cainess May 12th 2018 12:06 pm

Garbatellamike May 12th 2018 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by ededed (Post 12498006)

I think Ederson is terrific. Playing as a sweeper allows City to play so much higher up the pitch. De Gea’s big weakness is crosses. He’s still rooted to his goal line. That means United end up defending deep. I still wouldn’t swap him, but I hope next season we get some mobile defenders / wingers that means he doesn’t need to make 3 or 4 worldly saves every game.

2 more weekends of the English season. So almost time to fire up the rumour mill. This thread will close just in time to stop any Scousers posting after the European Cup. Unless they lose of course....

Yeah good point DeGea must be a vampire as he's terrified of crosses :sneaky:but he is a shot stopper without parallel

JamesM May 12th 2018 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike (Post 12497530)
well congrats to David DeGea for winning the golden gloves this season - a remarkable achievement given the centre backs he plays behind, probably the best goalie in the world at the moment.

There's 8 more players parked in front of DeGea's goal. All the lines compacted.

He is the best keeper in the league though.

I think Jon Oblak is supposed to be pretty special. I have not seen enough of him.

Garbatellamike May 12th 2018 9:24 pm

so a few things left to settle tomorrow

Golden Gloves already DeGea as he is 2 clean sheets clear of Ederson

Golden Boot is probably Salah's unless Eriksson scores 4 and Kane claims them, Agueroooooooo was not in contention even before the 2 footed assault in the pen box that prematurely ended his season, somehow Sterling is in 4th...

Playmaker with most assists looks like a straight battle between Sane and KdB with Silva and Sterling currently tied 3rd but 4 behind the joint leaders

most saves is a fight between Butland and Fabianski but interesting that DeGea has made 57 more saves than Ederson this year but may be that's what happens playing behind Phil Jones et al?

oh and Chelski vs Liverpool for CL and Saints vs Swansea for survival

DaveLovesDee May 12th 2018 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike (Post 12498292)
so a few things left to settle tomorrow

oh and Chelski vs Liverpool for CL and Saints vs Swansea for survival

Swansea were relegated mid-week, when Huddersfield drew with Chelsea.

Saints are safe, and it's Swansea v Stoke tomorrow, both of whom will be playing Championship football next season.