British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Locker Room (https://britishexpats.com/forum/locker-room-66/)
-   -   British football thread 2017-2018 (https://britishexpats.com/forum/locker-room-66/british-football-thread-2017-2018-a-896758/)

Cainess Jun 6th 2017 5:03 pm

Re: British football thread 2017-2018

Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer (Post 12267387)
No-one has ever heard of Salah? Liverpool and Chelsea fans will have heard of him since he was meant to join us for $11M a few years ago then decided to join Chelsea instead where he failed miserably. Personally I think he's a terrible buy as it just means we'll lose 2 right sided wingers to the AFCON tournament every few years rather than just the one.

As for tapping up Van Dijk if we can be done for that then United should be complaining about Real Madrid wanting DDG, Everton should be complaining about Chelsea etc wanting Lukaku and Southampton can complain about pretty much any player they have who can kick a ball as they all seem to be linked to going elsewhere. Out of all the players we've got off Southampton only Mane has been reliably decent (And even that was just one season), the others have occasional bursts of quality but can't be relied up on. In fact Van Dijk would probably be a replacement for Lovren so if anything the ****ers should be giving us a discount not complaining.

:rofl::rofl::goodpost::thumbup::thumbsup:

That last sentence is brilliant SD, creative genius!! :p

Cainess Jun 6th 2017 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by ededed (Post 12267407)
Yet the opposite is clearly true.

However, It's horrible winning all these trophies playing dull football. I don't know what it's like to play attacking football and win nothing. We've never done that. How does it feel?

Must, must try harder.

;)

Couldn't have put it better myself.... :sneaky: :thumbup:

Garbatellamike Jun 6th 2017 5:05 pm

However, It's horrible winning all these trophies playing dull football. I don't know what it's like to play attacking football and win nothing. We've never done that. How does it feel?

It feels bloody awful and you get relegated about every 3 years or so - it's quite depressing actually, I recommend you don't try it!

zargof Jun 6th 2017 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike (Post 12267412)
It feels bloody awful and you get relegated about every 3 years or so - it's quite depressing actually, I recommend you don't try it!

We've tried playing dull football and winning nowt for 11 years, then switched to playing attacking football and winning nowt. Neither of them are particularly great.

Not sure what this relegation thing is though, I guess it's something bad.

pommybird Jun 6th 2017 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by zargof (Post 12267418)
We've tried playing dull football and winning nowt for 11 years, then switched to playing attacking football and winning nowt. Neither of them are particularly great.

Hey Zargie, where's Lukaku off to? Apparently to a club, who in his words, 'will be playing in the CL and challenging for the PL title'....and allegedly paying 160 grand a week, so clearly not Spurs :sneaky:

zargof Jun 6th 2017 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by pommybird (Post 12267421)
Hey Zargie, where's Lukaku off to? Apparently to a club, who in his words, 'will be playing in the CL and challenging for the PL title'....and allegedly paying 160 grand a week, so clearly not Spurs :sneaky:

Those "in the know" are saying the Chavs with Batshuayi and a fat wedge going the other way. I don't really care, so long as the thing doesn't drag out all summer. Get it done and give Koeman and Walsh plenty of time and money to get the players that we need.

Oh and speaking of fat wedges, I still think Rooney will be an Everton player again by the end of the summer.

Cainess Jun 6th 2017 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by zargof (Post 12267428)
Those "in the know" are saying the Chavs with Batshuayi and a fat wedge going the other way. I don't really care, so long as the thing doesn't drag out all summer. Get it done and give Koeman and Walsh plenty of time and money to get the players that we need.

Oh and speaking of fat wedges, I still think Rooney will be an Everton player again by the end of the summer.

In that case, how about Rooney & a few dollars in exchange for Lukaku, and let the Chavs bugger off elsewhere...?? :sneaky: :thumbup:

zargof Jun 6th 2017 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by Cainess (Post 12267432)
In that case, how about Rooney & a few dollars in exchange for Lukaku, and let the Chavs bugger off elsewhere...?? :sneaky: :thumbup:

If by "few dollars" you mean Pogba money, then maybe.

But do you really need Lukaku, I thought you were buying Bale, Griezmann and Ronaldo.

Cainess Jun 6th 2017 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by zargof (Post 12267433)
If by "few dollars" you mean Pogba money, then maybe.

But do you really need Lukaku, I thought you were buying Bale, Griezmann and Ronaldo.

No, we aren't... if the media 'links' were correct, we'd have signed half the players in Europe over the last month... :blink::zzz::unsure:

The reality is a good bit more 'sane'. Lindelof will arrive soon from Benfica (to partner Bailly at CB); Perisic is coming from Inter for a vastly inflated fee (45m), and tbh I haven't seen enough of him to know how MUCH of an overspend 45m is, but if he WAS a '45m player', we'd know a helluva lot more about him by now... :blink: :huh:

Griezmann was joining until Zlatan got crocked, and Jose realised we needed a striker more than a no. 10.... which is why we've been linked with Rom, as well as Morata & Andrea Belotti at Torino... personally I'd take any of those three, since they'd be welcome additions to a paper-thin squad of strikers at OT (Rashford is about the only fit striker we have....).

zargof Jun 6th 2017 6:02 pm

Originally Posted by Cainess (Post 12267439)
No, we aren't... if the media 'links' were correct, we'd have signed half the players in Europe over the last month... :blink::zzz::unsure:

Don't tell Ed, it will break his little heart. He was so looking forward to signing all those players so you could really have a good go at getting 5th next season.

zargof Jun 6th 2017 6:07 pm

In fact Van Dijk would probably be a replacement for Lovren so if anything the ****ers should be giving us a discount not complaining.

Has Klopp not been getting his Southampton loyalty card stamped? Surely Liverpool must be eligible for a free Charlie Austin by now.

Cainess Jun 6th 2017 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by zargof (Post 12267453)
Don't tell Ed, it will break his little heart. He was so looking forward to signing all those players so you could really have a good go at getting 5th next season.

Aye, we'll struggle to do that now....

DaveLovesDee Jun 6th 2017 6:33 pm

It's horrible winning all these trophies playing dull football. I don't know what it's like to play attacking football and win nothing. We've never done that. How does it feel?

At least the boring, boring Arsenal actually won something back in the day.... :p

How long has it been since the Spuds won anything? :p

JamesM Jun 6th 2017 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12267482)
At least the boring, boring Arsenal actually won something back in the day.... :p

How long has it been since the Spuds won anything? :p

Arsenal are entertaining now. Well the FanTV is.

Your lot are getting excited again.

You have your Thursday nights to look forward too and have signed some defender on a free.

Exciting times.

DaveLovesDee Jun 6th 2017 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by JamesM (Post 12267498)
Arsenal are entertaining now. Well the FanTV is.

Your lot are getting excited again.

You have your Thursday nights to look forward too and have signed some defender on a free.

Exciting times.

If signing a very decent left-back on a free means we're more likely to get Turan, Lacazette and Mbappe, I'm happy.

zargof Jun 6th 2017 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12267503)
If signing a very decent left-back on a free means we're more likely to get Turan, Lacazette and Mbappe, I'm happy.

You won't sign Lacazette or Mbappe. HTH.

Garbatellamike Jun 6th 2017 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by zargof (Post 12267418)

yep :nod:

DaveLovesDee Jun 6th 2017 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by zargof (Post 12267507)
You won't sign Lacazette or Mbappe. HTH.

Why not? I think we're the only team who've made a firm offer for Mbappe right now.

Who are you replacing Lukaku with? Sturridge? :rofl:

hopeful_Mark Jun 6th 2017 9:21 pm

Don't worry too much Dave we are pretty good at signing defenders on a free, one even won the double with us.;)

zargof Jun 6th 2017 9:22 pm

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12267561)
Why not? I think we're the only team who've made a firm offer for Mbappe right now.

Who are you replacing Lukaku with? Sturridge? :rofl:

Well for a start it's something step down, and Real Madrid are sniffing round him.

Besides, will Wenger really shell out 100M+ for a player?

As for our Lukaku replacement, there are plenty linked. Not sure who it will be yet.

ededed Jun 6th 2017 10:19 pm

Originally Posted by zargof (Post 12267453)

As opposed to 8th/9th/10th* (delete as appropriate - no idea where Everton finished, as I'm not obsessed by them)

Originally Posted by hopeful_Mark (Post 12267567)
Don't worry too much Dave we are pretty good at signing defenders on a free, one even won the double with us.;)

Have we thanked you for Van Persie lately? 20 times.

Cainess Jun 6th 2017 10:24 pm

No harm Dave, but there's more chance of ME signing for the Gooners than the French kid... both Real & Barca are apparently 'in for him', so the rest of Europe can watch on from the sidelines.... :blink:

The other two, you might get one off, though Lacazette has significant interest from others too.

JamesM Jun 6th 2017 11:13 pm

Originally Posted by hopeful_Mark (Post 12267567)

The good old days.

Arsenal need to focus on keeping Sanchez and Ozil.

They're probably the hottest properties available in the Premier League now the CL has been missed.

Complete strikers are the hardest things to find- I can't see them offering Mbappe more money than other clubs and he certainly won't go there for footballing reasons. Giroud will have to suffice for now.

If Wenger is smart he'll focus on a tough tackling box to box midfielder which should be a little easier to find.

Rob Holding looks good.

JamesM Jun 6th 2017 11:21 pm

Originally Posted by ededed (Post 12267619)
As opposed to 8th/9th/10th* (delete as appropriate - no idea where Everton finished, as I'm not obsessed by them)

I'm intrigued to see what Everton do in the window. A chance for their new owners to walk the walk after all the talk of bringing fresh investment.

jam25mack Jun 7th 2017 5:23 am

Yet the opposite is clearly true.

Must, must try harder.

;)

;)

Originally Posted by pommybird (Post 12267421)

He was keeping his lips firmly shut during an interview yesterday and then promptly went and started following 3 Chelski players on twitter or Insta or whatever

Originally Posted by zargof (Post 12267428)

I can see that too as I can't see him having a future at United especially when we bring in one if not two strikers who will be ahead of him. Also I can't see him going to China. The US possibly.

And the other half will be mentioned over the next month! :lol:

The reality is a good bit more 'sane'. Lindelof will arrive soon from Benfica (to partner Bailly at CB); Perisic is coming from Inter for a vastly inflated fee (45m), and tbh I haven't seen enough of him to know how MUCH of an overspend 45m is, but if he WAS a '45m player', we'd know a helluva lot more about him by now... :blink: :huh:

Yeah, I have heard the same. These two are pretty much done deals and both will be officially announced relatively soon apparently.

Griezmann was joining until Zlatan got crocked, and Jose realised we needed a striker more than a no. 10.... which is why we've been linked with Rom, as well as Morata & Andrea Belotti at Torino....

I think it'll be Morata. Apparently he is something of a unfinished Jose project....

So 'if' we get Lindelof, Persic and Morata (ignoring the GK situation for a minute), a LB and we'll be looking in a lot better shape.

BEVS Jun 7th 2017 6:03 am

:Random non-football post:

:cake: Happy birthday EdEdEd. :beer:

Scamp Jun 7th 2017 7:02 am

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike (Post 12267239)
errmm - Still Liverpool

No-one has ever heard of Salah? Liverpool and Chelsea fans will have heard of him since he was meant to join us for $11M a few years ago then decided to join Chelsea instead where he failed miserably. Personally I think he's a terrible buy as it just means we'll lose 2 right sided wingers to the AFCON tournament every few years rather than just the one.

...whine...whine....whine....
In fact Van Dijk would probably be a replacement for Lovren so if anything the ****ers should be giving us a discount not complaining.

Salah seems a shit signing to me. 30 million quid for a tried-and-failed player? Good. Liverpool getting what they deserve in the transfer market.

Van Dijk is a steal at 60m. He's in another universe to the shite that is Lovren and when he plays for us, we look immeasurably better. He made Yoshida look good for crying out loud, the man's a miracle worker.

Originally Posted by zargof (Post 12267457)
Has Klopp not been getting his Southampton loyalty card stamped? Surely Liverpool must be eligible for a free Charlie Austin by now.

Not yet. Liverpool, for their constant generosity have earned the right to a free tour of the training ground and youth facilities. Let the ***** see what an actual football club looks like.

Oh, and Happy Birthday Ed, you bucket of fanny batter. xxx

Garbatellamike Jun 7th 2017 8:11 am

Happy Birthday Ed - have a good one mate

pommybird Jun 7th 2017 8:28 am

Happy birthday to the most gorgeous, most intelligent, wittiest Man U fan I know....oh and happy birthday to Ed too.....give you your present when I see you ;)

ededed Jun 7th 2017 8:35 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12267786)
Oh, and Happy Birthday Ed, you bucket of fanny batter. xxx

It's like getting wishes from Hallmark. Thanks Scampy x

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike (Post 12267832)
Happy Birthday Ed - have a good one mate

This is my year Mike, 33 now. I saw Liverpool win the league, once.

Originally Posted by pommybird (Post 12267847)
Happy birthday to the most gorgeous, most intelligent, wittiest Man U fan I know....oh and happy birthday to Ed too.....give you your present when I see you ;)

:wub:

I hope it's not crabs. x

SpoogleDrummer Jun 7th 2017 7:49 pm

Looks like all our transfers are going down the shitter now. Just call us Arsenal Mark II.

JamesM Jun 7th 2017 11:59 pm

You lot watched much of this?

They're actually pretty good- I watched them beat Argentina.

England Under-20s: Is this the country's next golden generation? - BBC Sport

zargof Jun 8th 2017 12:06 am

Originally Posted by JamesM (Post 12268408)

I've been following it, as there's a fair few Everton lads involved, and yeah, there are some decent players among them. Hopefully they don't all get ruined by the likes of the Chavs and Citeh.

Scamp Jun 8th 2017 6:27 am

Originally Posted by JamesM (Post 12268408)

The worlds 'Golden Generation'. What kind of lazy shit journalism is that?
****ing idiots. We don't have golden generations, we have golden sprinklings and golden underachievement and golden tears for these golden dickheads.

Garbatellamike Jun 8th 2017 7:47 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12268519)
****ing idiots. We don't have golden generations, we have golden sprinklings and golden underachievement and golden tears for these golden dickheads.

The last Golden Generation should have been the Lead Generation they never came close to winning anything other than media headlines.

Scamp Jun 8th 2017 7:55 am

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike (Post 12268578)
The last Golden Generation should have been the Lead Generation they never came close to winning anything other than media headlines.

The media are as bad as the FA.
English football is a golden shower from top to bottom.

yellowroom Jun 8th 2017 10:03 am

Meanwhile a bunch of "B team"/U18 players are in the Toulon U20 tournament in France. Tonight England are playing Scotland in the semi-final, unfortunately not televised anywhere. Will have to make do with the senior game on Saturday for a bit of auld rivalry.

With the B team/U18s holding their own, it does seem like we have a strong cohort coming through, but please no golden generation nonsense hype.

Garbatellamike Jun 8th 2017 10:34 am

So it's official now - we have a new goalie and he has an 81.2% save ratio last season contrasting well with Clownio's Bravo's 0%.

JamesM Jun 8th 2017 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12268519)

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike (Post 12268578)

I wouldn't pay too much attention to the superlatives.

The football is good and the team decent. Something to fill the void.

If England are also doing well in Toulon as the OP suggested then maybe we might see the national team start progressing beyond the group stages again.

Golden generation stuff is always over hyped. In international tournament football if you have the right attitude and a good game plan you can do well. It's why Iceland and Wales went further than England last time. It's also why Greece and Portugal have been European Champions.

zargof Jun 8th 2017 3:11 pm

So Jose left last year, then Terry went, and now it looks like Costa is leaving the Chavs. Does this mean that the Chavs are going to become more likeable? After all Conte seems like a decent guy. I dunno, I doubt it though.

Speaking of Costa, if he does bugger off to Italy, or China or wherever, that leaves an opening for the biggest scumbag in the league, and there doesn't seem to be an obvious candidate. I mean Barton is done, Cattermole is relegated, does that mean it falls to the likes of Fellaini or Shawcross, or God forbid Jack Wheelchair? Who knows, maybe someone will buy Sergio Ramos...