Go Back  British Expats > General > The Locker Room
Reload this Page >

British football thread 2017-2018

British football thread 2017-2018

Closed Thread

Old Mar 8th 2018, 5:14 pm
You aint seen me, right?

SpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British football thread 2017-2018

Originally Posted by JamesM View Post
Oh I didn't think there was another Welsh player who had won 3 European cups and played in the semi-final of a major international tournament.
Winning cups doesn't mean he's a great player unless he's the reason the club won them, which at Real Madrid he clearly isn't. He's basically sat in the treatment room the last few years. I'd put him behind Giggs, Ian Rush and probably Mark Hughes. When you throw the rest of Britain in to the mix he probably won't even get in the top 10.
Old Mar 8th 2018, 7:18 pm

ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute

Oh I didn't think there was another Welsh player who had won 3 European cups and played in the semi-final of a major international tournament.
Wow. Ok

What about Joe Allen?

Gareth Bale has been a total passenger at Madrid. Anderson won a European Cup and 4 PL titles - and he was shit.
Old Mar 8th 2018, 7:20 pm
I love my brick!

zargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond repute

Greatest Welsh player?

John Charles
Neville Southall
Everyone else.
Old Mar 8th 2018, 7:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

IJ157 has a reputation beyond reputeIJ157 has a reputation beyond reputeIJ157 has a reputation beyond reputeIJ157 has a reputation beyond reputeIJ157 has a reputation beyond reputeIJ157 has a reputation beyond reputeIJ157 has a reputation beyond reputeIJ157 has a reputation beyond reputeIJ157 has a reputation beyond reputeIJ157 has a reputation beyond reputeIJ157 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer View Post
Who on earth has been saying that? He's not even the best Welsh player of all time.
Linekar said he was a top 10 British player of all time earlier this season. Don't know anyone saying best British player of all time.
Old Mar 8th 2018, 8:06 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Winning cups doesn't mean he's a great player unless he's the reason the club won them, which at Real Madrid he clearly isn't. He's basically sat in the treatment room the last few years. I'd put him behind Giggs, Ian Rush and probably Mark Hughes. When you throw the rest of Britain in to the mix he probably won't even get in the top 10.
He was highly influential in the Euro's. He has done more in international football than any other British player this century for sure.

Hardly a passenger at Madrid. His winning goal against against Barcelona in the Copa Del Ray simply could not have been scored by any of the players you've mentioned. They would not have the pace, speed or strength.

Giggs had longevity in the game and was also a world class player at his peak. But not as versatile as Bale who is two footed and can play across the pitch not just on the one side.

Rushy and Hughes. You are clutching at straws there.

Originally Posted by ededed View Post
Wow. Ok

What about Joe Allen?

Gareth Bale has been a total passenger at Madrid. Anderson won a European Cup and 4 PL titles - and he was shit.
Ok you got me. Joe Allen

I agree with what you are saying- which is why I discard Giggs' Premier League's in the debate and base it purely on CL's and International achievement. Two separate environments where Giggs and Bale have had the same opportunity and Bale has done more.

Originally Posted by IJ157 View Post
Linekar said he was a top 10 British player of all time earlier this season. Don't know anyone saying best British player of all time.
Lineker is spot on. The only British player close to Bale at the present time is Harry Kane.

I do agree though that Bale is too injury prone these days but he will still continue to add trophies and if he can stay fit who knows.

Last edited by JamesM; Mar 8th 2018 at 8:10 pm.
Old Mar 8th 2018, 8:16 pm

ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zargof View Post
Neville Southall.
He could still play for Wales

Old Mar 8th 2018, 8:59 pm
You aint seen me, right?

SpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with what you are saying- which is why I discard Giggs' Premier League's in the debate and base it purely on CL's and International achievement. Two separate environments where Giggs and Bale have had the same opportunity and Bale has done more.
You're absolutely off your rocker. By using purely European success to judge it makes Phil Neal the greatest of all time as he has 4 European Cups, a UEFA Cup and a Super Cup. He also won the same number of World Cups as Bale. Has Bale even played in a World Cup?

Last edited by SpoogleDrummer; Mar 8th 2018 at 9:01 pm.
Old Mar 8th 2018, 11:07 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

You're absolutely off your rocker. By using purely European success to judge it makes Phil Neal the greatest of all time as he has 4 European Cups, a UEFA Cup and a Super Cup. He also won the same number of World Cups as Bale. Has Bale even played in a World Cup?
Nothing wrong with Phil Neal.

But on his day he doesn't have the ability to score goals with either foot or beat two or three players at pace over 60 yards and make something from nothing.

A player at the pinnacle of his career who also has a shout would be Michael Owen. Whilst over his career he did less than a lot of other strikers his peak was devastating. Gascoigne too.

Last edited by JamesM; Mar 8th 2018 at 11:28 pm.
Old Mar 10th 2018, 1:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

YES.

Another game of 2 halves this time Utd looked excellent in the 1st half and then heart attack 2nd half. Who says the long ball doesn't work.
Riding the luck on corners you cant give a team like Liverpool 13 corners and 14 shots. Not pretty but hey 3 points is 3 points and especially against the Dippers.
Old Mar 10th 2018, 6:44 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

Big result for Manchester United!

I have bets with Liverpool fans every season that Tottenham will finish above them so hopefully this is the beginning of Pool's demise for the season.
Old Mar 11th 2018, 3:51 pm
Grace and gratitude

pommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond repute

COYS!
Attached Thumbnails British football thread 2017-2018-9c9935e7-a789-4db6-994d-a132d9a683f5.jpeg  
Old Mar 11th 2018, 3:53 pm
Remainer

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pommybird View Post
COYS!
Aren't you closer than the restraining order allows?
Old Mar 11th 2018, 6:59 pm
Grace and gratitude

pommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee View Post
Aren't you closer than the restraining order allows?
Hey Hooky, why did no-one turn up at the Emptycrates today?
Old Mar 11th 2018, 7:04 pm
Remainer

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pommybird View Post
Hey Hooky, why did no-one turn up at the Emptycrates today?
Arsenal did.....

Not sure the Watford players were there for the whole game though!
Old Mar 11th 2018, 7:43 pm
Grace and gratitude

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee View Post
Arsenal did.....

Not sure the Watford players were there for the whole game though!
I mean the fans not the players, lots of empty seats.

Anyway nice 3 points for Spurs, my prediction nearly spot on. One of the best games I have seen all season, great to see 2 teams going for it and attacking from the get go.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement