British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Locker Room (https://britishexpats.com/forum/locker-room-66/)
-   -   British football thread 2017-2018 (https://britishexpats.com/forum/locker-room-66/british-football-thread-2017-2018-a-896758/)

Former Lancastrian Jul 6th 2017 9:53 pm

Re: British football thread 2017-2018

Originally Posted by pommybird (Post 12288496)
Awww bless you and all the other poor sods who support Man U, nothing to look forward to except another season of bore fest.

So Yernited win 3 pieces of silverware finish 6th and enter the group stage of the Champions League. Yup a pretty crappy borefest season under Jose.

Remind us what Spurs did last season?????

Garbatellamike Jul 6th 2017 10:23 pm

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 12288678)
So Yernited win 3 pieces of silverware finish 6th and enter the group stage of the Champions League. Yup a pretty crappy borefest season under Jose.

good point - 6th was an over-achievement

JamesM Jul 6th 2017 10:55 pm

Played for the significant trophies. We've been over this too many times.

johnwoo Jul 6th 2017 11:02 pm

They did score 32 goals more than MU.
Remind us which team had the most draws of any PL team.

Not a successful season by past MU standards.

ededed Jul 7th 2017 8:10 am

Originally Posted by JamesM (Post 12288718)

So, like Arsenal over the last 20 years?

You're right, we've been over this many times. United had a more successful season than Spurs. We nabbed 2 trophies at our worst, you won none at your absolute best. Success is winning things. It isn't finishing 2nd, or scoring the most goals, or finishing higher than your neighbours. It's lifting trophies and giving fans the nights that end at 3 in the morning with a hangover and a song in your heart.

Maybe we're just different. When we finished 2nd to Leeds in '92 I cried. I didn't bang on about how much better than Liverpool we were.

ededed Jul 7th 2017 8:15 am

Originally Posted by johnwoo (Post 12288724)
They did score 32 goals more than MU.
Remind us which team had the most draws of any PL team.

Not a successful season by past MU standards.

Completely agree. 100%. But it would be a successful season for anyone else. The fact is our bar is higher than everyone else's because of the last 20 years. Those 20 won't be repeated - we will never see domination like that again. When Lukaku joins, and Jose gets the team to click (which everyone on here absolutely knows he will), then we'll go from mocking us for being shit, to hating us for winning everything again. We got 6th because JM gambled on the Europa League and gave up on the EPL with about 5 games to go. Funny how a multi-league, multi-European cup winning manager knows less than fans on this forum. I imagine he reads this thread for advice from all these experts :lol:

And I can't ****ing wait.

Garbatellamike Jul 7th 2017 8:21 am

Originally Posted by ededed (Post 12288898)
Completely agree. 100%. But it would be a successful season for anyone else. The fact is our bar is higher than everyone else's because of the last 20 years. Those 20 won't be repeated - we will never see domination like that again.

good summary there Ed - captured it nicely

JamesM Jul 7th 2017 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by ededed (Post 12288896)

Maybe we're just different. When we finished 2nd to Leeds in '92 I cried. I didn't bang on about how much better than Liverpool we were.

I'm sure that's all you will have banged on about.

Actually you would have banged on about some referee too.

ededed Jul 7th 2017 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by JamesM (Post 12289008)
I'm sure that's all you will have banged on about.

Actually you would have banged on about some referee too.

It was a massive missed opportunity. I was angry with us for bottling it. That was probably how United payers felt too. So they went out and bought Eric and the rest is history. I couldn't tell you (or care) where anyone else finished that season. I still can't.

Spurs' ongoing celebrations at finishing 2nd while everyone around you strengthens doesn't bode well for yet another potless campaign. What will that be? 15? 20? Finishing 2nd 2 years ago is still the greatest choking job in the PL. Last season you were technically miles behind Chelsea. Everton, City, Arsenal and United are all considerably stronger than last year. Chelsea will probably get Morata so will be better still. Spurs consider keeping Kane and Ali as major achievements. That's the difference.

You've peaked, and everyone knows it. You'll be lucky to finish 4th, and won't get out of your CL group (again).

Google "trajectory" ;)

JamesM Jul 7th 2017 3:02 pm

This is sad to hear. It was good to see Sunderland and Defoe embrace the brave young man:

Bradley Lowery dies following brave battle with cancer | Football News | Sky Sports

pommybird Jul 7th 2017 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by JamesM (Post 12289120)
This is sad to hear. It was good to see Sunderland and Defoe embrace the brave young man:

Bradley Lowery dies following brave battle with cancer | Football News | Sky Sports

Been reading about JD's ongoing relationship with this family for a while now, he gave the lad some truly happy times and some great memories for the family to cherish and I'm sure he will continue to maintain contact and support with Bradley's parents.

ededed Jul 7th 2017 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by JamesM (Post 12289120)

Agreed. Sad but brilliant from Defoe. Wish more footballers had his decency and compassion.

Garbatellamike Jul 7th 2017 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by ededed (Post 12289130)
Agreed. Sad but brilliant from Defoe. Wish more footballers had his decency and compassion.

hear hear - well done that man

IJ157 Jul 7th 2017 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by JamesM (Post 12288718)

Cool.
How many did you actually win?

When was the last time Spurs won a significant trophy?

Garbatellamike Jul 7th 2017 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by IJ157 (Post 12289233)
When was the last time Spurs won a significant trophy?

1991 and Utd was 2016 both FA cups