British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Locker Room (https://britishexpats.com/forum/locker-room-66/)
-   -   British football thread 2017-2018 (https://britishexpats.com/forum/locker-room-66/british-football-thread-2017-2018-a-896758/)

Garbatellamike Jun 29th 2017 5:33 pm

Re: British football thread 2017-2018

Originally Posted by zargof (Post 12283270)
On another topic, I'm sure Mike was delighted by Bravo's performance against Portugal. I guess he was taking it easy all season so he would be ready for the very important Confederations Cup.

3 more saves than he made all season in the PL :ohmy:

pommybird Jul 5th 2017 6:31 pm

Just been looking at some of the ins and outs.....pleasing work for the Cherries, Ake, Begovic and Defoe, Spurs unsurprisingly have done bugger all as yet, expect it will all be done bargain basement on deadline day. What is surprising is that City don't seem to have swooped for Kyle walker, thought they liked to get thier business done early, or am I wrong, Mike?

Everton seem to be spending wisely, but maybe they'll blot their copy book with Rooney :p

zargof Jul 5th 2017 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by pommybird (Post 12287548)

Everton seem to be spending wisely, but maybe they'll blot their copy book with Rooney :p

Oh, Rooney is happening. Probably done by the end of this week, just haggling over his wages. Personally, I'm not that bothered either way, but I think he can still bring something to the team, and he has a winning mentality, which is something our players are sorely lacking.

As for your transfers, are you going to bother buying anyone or have you decided not to bother with transfers any more after Sissoko?

Garbatellamike Jul 5th 2017 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by pommybird (Post 12287548)
Just been looking at some of the ins and outs.....pleasing work for the Cherries, Ake, Begovic and Defoe, Spurs unsurprisingly have done bugger all as yet, expect it will all be done bargain basement on deadline day. What is surprising is that City don't seem to have swooped for Kyle walker, thought they liked to get thier business done early, or am I wrong, Mike?

You are right PB but dealing with Levy is challenging ;) tough negotiations in progress

Full backs our main priority with Walker and Mendy top of the list.

JamesM Jul 6th 2017 12:35 am

Originally Posted by zargof (Post 12287632)

As for your transfers, are you going to bother buying anyone or have you decided not to bother with transfers any more after Sissoko?

Spurs are waiting for a windfall from City or to move on Wimmer and/or Sissoko.

Spurs don't need much and the players available who would improve the first team are very few and very expensive.

Dele and Kane score 20 goals a season each and Son would too if he had enough playing time.

The defence is as good as any in the league.

I'd love Mahrez but I'm not sure he has the mentality to play for Poch or the work rate although clearly neither does Sissoko and I'd rather have the former.

I suspect Spurs will bring in several players but won't be surprised if it runs to deadline day. I doubt we'll bring in anyone who will disrupt the first team but more promising and coachable youngsters.

Scamp Jul 6th 2017 4:18 am

but I think he can still bring something to the team, and he has a winning mentality, which is something our players are sorely lacking.

100%. He still has lots to offer any side. I'd have him at Saints in a heartbeat.

Garbatellamike Jul 6th 2017 9:40 am

Oh, Rooney is happening. Probably done by the end of this week, just haggling over his wages. Personally, I'm not that bothered either way, but I think he can still bring something to the team, and he has a winning mentality, which is something our players are sorely lacking.

Wow - 75 mil for Lukaku - Everton definitely having the best window so far.

jam25mack Jul 6th 2017 10:25 am

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike (Post 12288061)

Agreed, but it's how the market is at the moment plus the seemingly poor business model Ed follows.

Rooney to Everton on a free is great business. I even heard it involves United paying some of his wages, which if you think about is sounds dodgy. It amazes me though that as players strengths and quality decline and they move to supposed lesser teams (no offence meant) they stick to their guns wages wise and risk the deal in the process. Why is it seen so unreasonable for them to take a cut, still get paid a fortune and get to play for who they want to play for. It's not like they're skint.

DaveLovesDee Jul 6th 2017 10:26 am

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike (Post 12288061)

Not yet allegedly

Garbatellamike Jul 6th 2017 10:30 am

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12288098)

ta - will have to wait and see

DaveLovesDee Jul 6th 2017 10:37 am

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike (Post 12288103)
ta - will have to wait and see

I'm not sure how Lukaku is worth around 1.5x Lacazette's cost, but then players at English clubs always seem to be over-valued.

Garbatellamike Jul 6th 2017 10:39 am

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12288110)
I'm not sure how Lukaku is worth around 1.5x Lacazette's cost, but then players at English clubs always seem to be over-valued.

yep 100% agree. Lukaku was sold by Maureen for 24 mil which looks about right.

Does your acquisition of Lacazette mean we can have Sanchez or is he a Giroud upgrade instead?

ededed Jul 6th 2017 10:47 am

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12288110)

Lacazette - can't get past Giroud to get into the French side. Makes Pogba look like a bargain.

Lukaku is good business. It's not my £75m, it won't change the price of my season ticket and he'll score 25 goals. He's exactly what we need. Rooney has been brilliant for us for a long time, I hope he does well at Everton, he deserves an Indian summer (not just an Indian). Even if we end up paying half his wages it saves us £5m or so a year for a player who can't get into the team.

Prices are mental, thanks to City and Chelsea.

We just need a LB now (or Shaw to spend some time on a treadmill), keep DDG and we'll be alright.

Garbatellamike Jul 6th 2017 10:56 am

Originally Posted by ededed (Post 12288118)
We just need a LB now

anyone in mind?

Scamp Jul 6th 2017 11:49 am

Originally Posted by ededed (Post 12288118)
Prices are mental, thanks to City and Chelsea.

We just need a LB now (or Shaw to spend some time on a treadmill), keep DDG and we'll be alright.

Perhaps, but mainly thanks to Murdoch and Sky and the ability to pretend the Premier League is the best in the world for so long.

Shaw is the future. Just have faith. How many ****ing times do you need to be told.