British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Locker Room (https://britishexpats.com/forum/locker-room-66/)
-   -   British football thread 2017-2018 (https://britishexpats.com/forum/locker-room-66/british-football-thread-2017-2018-a-896758/)

Cainess Jun 14th 2017 2:37 pm

Re: British football thread 2017-2018

Originally Posted by JamesM (Post 12273017)
Chelsea at Wembley is not an ideal first game.

After that though we have Burnley, Swansea and Bournemouth there. We will need to be up to speed after that if we are going to contend again.

We only took 35 points aways from home last season so need to also do 10% better there as our away form at the likes of some of the mid-table clubs was not strong.

76 points was CL qualification guaranteed last year. Once upon a time that was enough to be a title contender which shows you how much smaller the margin of failure a club can afford now is.

As for predictions I think Chelsea, Spurs and United will be the Top 3 in no particular order. City and Liverpool fighting for 4th.

It will be interesting to see if Wenger can quell the fan hostility when Arsenal drop their first points.

WAY too early for any of that James...sure the transfer window isn't even technically open yet!! :eek: :sneaky: :p We've no idea who may come in to various clubs to take them 'up a notch' (or make them even more mediocre, in the Arse's case... :sneaky:).

Top Four should come from the Chavs, citeh, Spurs, the Dippers & United, though I'm intrigued to see who big Koeman brings in at Goodison to try to push Everton into that bracket as well, especially as Lukaku will be wearing Chav blue next season....

JamesM Jun 14th 2017 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by Cainess (Post 12273022)
WAY too early for any of that James...sure the transfer window isn't even technically open yet!! :eek: :sneaky: :p We've no idea who may come in to various clubs to take them 'up a notch' (or make them even more mediocre, in the Arse's case... :sneaky:).

I agree.

Subject to change but I don't expect it too on the basis of how settled the situations are at some clubs versus others.

Maybe if United don't make some of the high profile acquisitions that they're chasing then my view might change.

I'm not sold on Pep Gourdiola. He basically needs Xavi, Iniesta and Lionel Messi to play his system.

Liverpool now have to play in Europe so will not have as strong a hand as they had last year.

Everton may surprise us. Good signings and no European football might give them an opportunity to finish above their city rivals and Arsenal.

But yes let's wait till early August to closer analyse.

zargof Jun 14th 2017 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by JamesM (Post 12273159)
Everton may surprise us. Good signings and no European football might give them an opportunity to finish above their city rivals and Arsenal.

Umm... we are actually in Europe, but good point well made...

Pickford looks a done deal. Siggurdson, Davy Klaassen (the Dutch Naismith) and Sandro Ramirez all look likely. A couple of centre backs and another striker and we'll be happy.

JamesM Jun 14th 2017 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by zargof (Post 12273220)
Umm... we are actually in Europe, but good point well made...

Pickford looks a done deal. Siggurdson, Davy Klaassen (the Dutch Naismith) and Sandro Ramirez all look likely. A couple of centre backs and another striker and we'll be happy.

My bad!

But being very proactive in the window:

Everton targeting six players from AC Milan and Inter Milan including Gianluca Lapadula and Ever Banega | Football News | Sky Sports

United completed the signing of Lindelof who I think will be well suited to the Premier League.

Cainess Jun 14th 2017 9:34 pm

Claude Puel: Manager leaves Southampton after one season - BBC Sport

This will surprise you, Scamp.... :sneaky: ;)

zargof Jun 14th 2017 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by Cainess (Post 12273306)

The surprise is he was sacked and didn't get a better offer from a bigger club.

Then again Liverpool might still sign him as a new midfielder.

hopeful_Mark Jun 14th 2017 10:31 pm

Originally Posted by JamesM (Post 12273017)
Chelsea at Wembley is not an ideal first game.

After that though we have Burnley, Swansea and Bournemouth there. We will need to be up to speed after that if we are going to contend again.

We only took 35 points aways from home last season so need to also do 10% better there as our away form at the likes of some of the mid-table clubs was not strong.

76 points was CL qualification guaranteed last year. Once upon a time that was enough to be a title contender which shows you how much smaller the margin of failure a club can afford now is.

As for predictions I think Chelsea, Spurs and United will be the Top 3 in no particular order. City and Liverpool fighting for 4th.

It will be interesting to see if Wenger can quell the fan hostility when Arsenal drop their first points.

Way too early to make any predictions, but I think you may be underestimating the Wembley factor, Spurs had a great last season at the Lane. I think you may find picking up home points to be the problem this year, for a number of players this may be there only run out on the Wembley pitch.

Scamp Jun 15th 2017 5:55 am

Originally Posted by Cainess (Post 12273306)

I woke with huge surprise at the news.
Even more surprise than when I shot 83 round JGE on Monday afternoon.

Quite pleased. We could do with some stability though.
Big players didn't want him though, not in the slightest. We need the presence / stature of a Koeman but with the youth / desire of a Poch.

Originally Posted by zargof (Post 12273315)
The surprise is he was sacked and didn't get a better offer from a bigger club.

Then again Liverpool might still sign him as a new midfielder.

60m take it or leave it.
Hopefully they'll come back and offer 75.

ededed Jun 15th 2017 7:09 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12273463)
I woke with huge surprise at the news.
Even more surprise than when I shot 83 round JGE on Monday afternoon.

Quite pleased. We could do with some stability though.
Big players didn't want him though, not in the slightest. We need the presence / stature of a Koeman but with the youth / desire of a Poch.

I thought they'd have done it earlier and gone for Silva. Howard Wilkinson is available. Sure Redknapp hasn't signed at Birmingham either.

Nice round. I haven't picked up a club this year, because, you know. Rain.

Scamp Jun 15th 2017 8:22 am

Originally Posted by ededed (Post 12273506)
I thought they'd have done it earlier and gone for Silva. Howard Wilkinson is available. Sure Redknapp hasn't signed at Birmingham either.

Nice round. I haven't picked up a club this year, because, you know. Rain.

My mate and I both wanted Silva, but maybe they had to wait for this possible Chinese takeaway, I mean takeover.

Howard. Chortle, no thank you.
Redknapp. No thanks, he stole Maddie.

Rain? I haven't seen it since that day in March.

JamesM Jun 15th 2017 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12273550)
My mate and I both wanted Silva, but maybe they had to wait for this possible Chinese takeaway, I mean takeover.

Howard. Chortle, no thank you.
Redknapp. No thanks, he stole Maddie.

Rain? I haven't seen it since that day in March.

That chap from Dortmund is available- Thomas Tuchel.

zargof Jun 15th 2017 3:33 pm

I bet Scamp can't wait for the next part...

Scamp Jun 15th 2017 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by zargof (Post 12273850)

https://twitter.com/SouthamptonFC/st...22941986279424

Won't play on my phone. Assuming piss take?

But genuinely, 6 pints in I'm proud to be a Saints fan. I grew up with us being shit and surviving by pulling a rabbit out the hat (my Mum taught me the phrase because of Saints). We then got alright. We then went down. We went down again. We were luckily bought by Sir Markus. We invested in the right ways. We progressed, promotions. We're an established top half Prem side.
Nobody can say anything about us being a selling club or shit or mid table with me resulting in caring or being bothered. I want us to succeed and be a great club. We are a great club. We know our limits and we do things our way and I'm proud of that.

#****Puel

ededed Jun 15th 2017 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by zargof (Post 12273850)

https://twitter.com/SouthamptonFC/st...22941986279424

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12273857)
Won't play on my phone. Assuming piss take?

But genuinely, 6 pints in I'm proud to be a Saints fan. I grew up with us being shit and surviving by pulling a rabbit out the hat (my Mum taught me the phrase because of Saints). We then got alright. We then went down. We went down again. We were luckily bought by Sir Markus. We invested in the right ways. We progressed, promotions. We're an established top half Prem side.
Nobody can say anything about us being a selling club or shit or mid table with me resulting in caring or being bothered. I want us to succeed and be a great club. We are a great club. We know our limits and we do things our way and I'm proud of that.

#****Puel

You won't be when your phone plays that video. It could be the worst thing I have seen from a top flight team, and I remember Spur's 1981 FA cup song. That's truly awful - you would rightly go to town on any club that churned out shit like that. Can't wait until you've seen it....

pommybird Jun 15th 2017 4:37 pm

Bookies odds for winning the league next season have City top followed by Chelsea, Man U and then Spurs......B'mth have signed Defoe and rumoured to be getting Terry, don't normally bet but may put down a tenner on the Cherries.