British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Locker Room (https://britishexpats.com/forum/locker-room-66/)
-   -   British football thread 2017-2018 (https://britishexpats.com/forum/locker-room-66/british-football-thread-2017-2018-a-896758/)

ededed Nov 1st 2017 6:48 am

Re: British football thread 2017-2018

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12372339)
Joking aside, where does it stop? The increase in transfer fees can't be sustained. Will it just plateau?

When Sky’s subscription rates continue to fall and the rest of the world stop paying over the odds for TV rights as fans figure out that illegal streams are easy and plentiful. I can watch United on a Saturday afternoon from my phone for free - I can then cast it to my big telly. HD quality, no lag - with millennials now all over tech and streaming services, getting them to pay for content is going to become very difficult. Sky pay £600m for TV rights. Advertising and subscriptions just about cover that. Maybe another round of TV rights will increase that figure - but soon enough the customer will just walk away and then many PL clubs business model which is 75% based on TV money is bust.

And then United will try and figure out how to fill a £60m hole in their revenue model.

Scamp Nov 1st 2017 7:04 am

Originally Posted by ededed (Post 12372365)
When Sky’s subscription rates continue to fall and the rest of the world stop paying over the odds for TV rights as fans figure out that illegal streams are easy and plentiful. I can watch United on a Saturday afternoon from my phone for free - I can then cast it to my big telly. HD quality, no lag - with millennials now all over tech and streaming services, getting them to pay for content is going to become very difficult. Sky pay £600m for TV rights. Advertising and subscriptions just about cover that. Maybe another round of TV rights will increase that figure - but soon enough the customer will just walk away and then many PL clubs business model which is 75% based on TV money is bust.

And then United will try and figure out how to fill a £60m hole in their revenue model.

The next round needs to be focused on mobile viewing and internet streaming. Facebook, Youtube etc are all potential bidders with very deep pockets and the ability to bring the game to even more people.

As long as BeIN Sports lose out, I'll be happy.

Garbatellamike Nov 1st 2017 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by Cainess (Post 12371961)
That's not what I heard about Jadon Sancho.... I heard that he had the biggest ego ever seen on an underage kid since we got rid of Ravel Morrison... but that he had more technical ability than anyone else at citeh's academy, and when Pep informed him he wouldn't be included in the 1st team squad at any stage this season, he threw his toys outta the pram & 'arranged' his own exit to Germany.... :sneaky: :blink:

Some of our lot are hopeful that he might eventually return to play for the Red 3/4 of Manchester (assuming he proves himself at Dortmund), since he has soured his relationships with a lot of people at citeh.... ;)

yeah you are right about the ego and he isn't as good as Diaz

Garbatellamike Nov 1st 2017 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by ededed (Post 12372361)
Some great Manc names there. Glad they are all coming through the (ahem) “youth” system from the local schools....

In other news, Roma looked very good last night - hopefully Chelsea will be as abject on Sunday. And you have to feel sorry for Benfica’s keeper. Saved a penalty (only 2 yards off his line :huh:) but Matic’s goal was just bad luck.

Foden is from Stockport and Latibeaudiere is the England U17 skipper born in Armthorpe whilst Tosin is Manchester born and bred....So please delete the ahem

JamesM Nov 1st 2017 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by ededed (Post 12372365)

I can see international Premier League rights continuing to rise.

We get nearly every game now in Canada because the networks need content to fill their channels.

The Premier League is becoming more popular and so is the advertising.

However the average Canadian and American I suspect will largely base their TV package on Baseball, NFL and Hockey.

So for an implosion of TV revenue from North America you would need to be able to access those 3 sports widely on illegal feeds before it impacts the Premier League.

That or the Premier League becomes as fundamental to North American companies as it is to Sky.

I still think Facebook and Amazon will blow it out the water by buying and running it free. Great for fans and advertisers. Bad for legacy networks.

The biggest threat to the Premier League is the growth of other leagues much like local craft brewers are now killing mass international brewers.

Nothing like getting beer and football into the same discussion!

JamesM Nov 1st 2017 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12372339)
Joking aside, where does it stop? The increase in transfer fees can't be sustained. Will it just plateau?

I think transfer fees will end.

Players agents will start agreeing shorter contracts (1 to 3 years) and clubs will have to pay higher to retain players in salary and sign on bonus.

It'll be great for people like Ronaldo and Harry Kane but less favourable to the journey men pro's down the leagues.

Novocastrian Nov 1st 2017 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by JamesM (Post 12372692)

Players agents will start agreeing shorter contracts (1 to 3 years) and clubs will have to pay higher to retain players in salary and sign on bonus.

It'll be great for people like Ronaldo and Harry Kane but less favourable to the journey men pro's down the leagues.

WTF cares about people like Ronaldo and Kane and a host of others?

Football is about supporters, not money. And most certainly not about agents.

In a real world which is ceasing to exist,

pommybird Nov 1st 2017 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by JamesM (Post 12372692)

Got the two tellies on??!!

JamesM Nov 1st 2017 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by pommybird (Post 12372936)
Got the two tellies on??!!

Dele Alli earning his supper tonight!!!!!

pommybird Nov 1st 2017 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by JamesM (Post 12372937)
Dele Alli earning his supper tonight!!!!!

Not the annoying, useless twat that some on this thread would suggest, after all!

ededed Nov 1st 2017 9:16 pm

Originally Posted by pommybird (Post 12372938)
Not the annoying, useless twat that some on this thread would suggest, after all!

He’s that and more. Just because he can kick a ball fairly well doesn’t stop him from being a ****ing obnoxious cheat.

But Spurs are giving Madrid a proper thumping tonight. Fair play. So we smashed the team that smashed Madrid? That makes us world champions, no?

JamesM Nov 1st 2017 9:17 pm

Hated, adored but never ignored Dele Alli!

JamesM Nov 1st 2017 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by ededed (Post 12372943)
He’s that and more. Just because he can kick a ball fairly well doesn’t stop him from being a ****ing obnoxious cheat.

But Spurs are giving Madrid a proper thumping tonight. Fair play. So we smashed the team that smashed Madrid? That makes us world champions, no?

That would make Huddersfield World Champions wouldn't it?

ededed Nov 1st 2017 9:19 pm

Originally Posted by JamesM (Post 12372945)
Hated, adored but never ignored Dele Alli!

Ignored all the time. I don’t give him a second’s thought unless he’s stinking out Old Trafford like he did at the weekend.

JamesM Nov 1st 2017 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by ededed (Post 12372949)
Ignored all the time. I don’t give him a second’s thought unless he’s stinking out Old Trafford like he did at the weekend.

What did you make of Harry Winks by the way? Meant to ask you as an impartial.