British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Locker Room (https://britishexpats.com/forum/locker-room-66/)
-   -   British football thread 2017-2018 (https://britishexpats.com/forum/locker-room-66/british-football-thread-2017-2018-a-896758/)

ededed May 26th 2018 8:33 pm

Re: British football thread 2017-2018
 

Originally Posted by JamesM (Post 12505604)
I think we are all quiet Madrid fans for a day. It's sad really as there isn't a more plastic club financially doped by a government than Madrid but then there aren't more unbearable fans than Liverpool in our lives at this point in time. It is a lesser of two evils.

I'm going with Madrid 3-1. They'll dominate possession and Liverpool's back four will afford them too many chances. Liverpool have the front 4 and will try and hit on the break but will ultimately be suffocated by the quality and lack of ball.

Hope you had a few quid on that.


Originally Posted by kimilseung (Post 12505674)
Worse than Gerrard's slip.

Yup. Absolutely wonderful.


Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer (Post 12505690)
Mignolet would've done the same though. With any luck that will push us to get a new keeper. 3-1 down now may as well have someone go in on Ramos' knee and end his World Cup chances.

And Ronaldo. He’s been shite tonight though.

Bale’s first was special.

IJ157 May 26th 2018 8:46 pm

Re: British football thread 2017-2018
 

Originally Posted by ededed (Post 12505691)


Hope you had a few quid on that.



Yup. Absolutely wonderful.



And Ronaldo. He’s been shite tonight though.

Bale’s first was special.

Happy for Bale, but probably mean we will spend even more to sign him this summer!

ededed May 26th 2018 8:58 pm

Re: British football thread 2017-2018
 

Originally Posted by IJ157 (Post 12505695)
Happy for Bale, but probably mean we will spend even more to sign him this summer!

We won’t buy him. We have Rashford.

Garbatellamike May 26th 2018 9:02 pm

Re: British football thread 2017-2018
 
Well Liverpool may have been very very lucky to get to the final but they put up a good fight til Salah went off and looked the better team early doors but Karius makes Clownio look competent.

IJ157 May 26th 2018 9:03 pm

Re: British football thread 2017-2018
 

Originally Posted by ededed (Post 12505703)


We won’t buy him. We have Rashford.

Haha, great! Can't we just flog him to Arsenal or some other mid table team.

Bale sounds like he will definitely be going this summer.

IJ157 May 26th 2018 9:05 pm

Re: British football thread 2017-2018
 
Real Madrid win the Champions League yet again, but finish a whopping 17 points behind Barca in the league!

Is that the biggest difference for a Champions League winner and how far they are behind the 1st team in the league?

SpoogleDrummer May 26th 2018 9:15 pm

Re: British football thread 2017-2018
 

Originally Posted by IJ157 (Post 12505709)
Real Madrid win the Champions League yet again, but finish a whopping 17 points behind Barca in the league!

Is that the biggest difference for a Champions League winner and how far they are behind the 1st team in the league?

Not even close, we finished 5th in 2005 37 points behind Chelsea.

IJ157 May 26th 2018 9:25 pm

Re: British football thread 2017-2018
 

Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer (Post 12505714)
Not even close, we finished 5th in 2005 37 points behind Chelsea.

Wow. 17 points is still a massive difference! But 37 points is ridiculous. I still can't believe that Liverpool team won! lol

IJ157 May 26th 2018 9:28 pm

Re: British football thread 2017-2018
 
It just feels like yesterday, when the British press were calling him Luca Moderate!

Also, at one point, I think there were 5 former Southampton players on the pitch!

JamesM May 26th 2018 9:29 pm

Re: British football thread 2017-2018
 

Originally Posted by JamesM (Post 12505604)

I'm going with Madrid 3-1. .

I've only gone and done it again!


Originally Posted by ededed (Post 12505691)
Bale’s first was special.

According to some on this forum he's a passenger and Ian Rush and Mark Hughes were better..........no names need to be mentioned. Today I've settled all family business.


Garbatellamike May 26th 2018 9:32 pm

Re: British football thread 2017-2018
 

Originally Posted by IJ157 (Post 12505706)
Haha, great! Can't we just flog him to Arsenal or some other mid table team.

Bale sounds like he will definitely be going this summer.

yep and probably heading to Yernited in a swap for DDG?

kimilseung May 26th 2018 9:47 pm

Re: British football thread 2017-2018
 
It's a great loss for the World Cup that a player like Salah now looks like he will miss the tournament.

JamesM May 27th 2018 1:10 am

Re: British football thread 2017-2018
 

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike (Post 12505725)
yep and probably heading to Yernited in a swap for DDG?

If Ronaldo walks then maybe not.

Tottenham also have first refusal. Maybe he wants to come home?

SpoogleDrummer May 27th 2018 3:34 am

Re: British football thread 2017-2018
 

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike (Post 12505725)
yep and probably heading to Yernited in a swap for DDG?

Real won't want DDG anymore, they've seen Karius play and decided Navas isn't that bad afterall.

Scamp May 27th 2018 5:01 am

Re: British football thread 2017-2018
 

Originally Posted by JamesM (Post 12505604)
I think we are all quiet Madrid fans for a day..

Speak for yourself, I was very ****ing vocal in my support.


Originally Posted by ededed (Post 12505691)
Bale’s first was special.

Learnt at Saints. You're welcome.

Scamp May 27th 2018 5:02 am

Re: British football thread 2017-2018
 
Also, I hope the irony wasn't lost on anyone else of Liverpool's anthem and proudest saying of 'You'll Never Walk Alone' being totally adhered to by the absolute lack of a single team mate or club member going near Karius after the game.

Also, search for 'Karius die' on Twitter. Classy fans.

SpoogleDrummer May 27th 2018 4:57 pm

Re: British football thread 2017-2018
 

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12505815)
Also, I hope the irony wasn't lost on anyone else of Liverpool's anthem and proudest saying of 'You'll Never Walk Alone' being totally adhered to by the absolute lack of a single team mate or club member going near Karius after the game.

Also, search for 'Karius die' on Twitter. Classy fans.

If you're looking for classy fans Twitter and football aren't the best places to be looking.

I can certainly understand the players reaction with Karius though, they'd be furious initially so would need time to calm down but I think someone like Alberto Moreno or Lovren should've been able to understand how he felt right away and gone to him, I guess those 2 just don't realise they **** up just as badly regularly.

There's absolutely no point having a go at Karius, we knew at the beginning of the season our keepers weren't good enough and although Karius improved, and may keep improving, we always knew he had a game like this in him just as Lovren and Moreno do too.

We went through a lot of keepers prior to Dudek and then Reina but maybe having 2 decent ones in a row made us forget how important they are. It will be interesting to see how the club responds now though, Mignolet is almost certainly off so we have to get another keeper but the question is will it be a 1st,2nd or 3rd choice keeper? My biggest fear is that we'll spend the summer expecting a new keeper and defender and end up just signing another bunch of midfielders.

kimilseung May 27th 2018 6:40 pm

Re: British football thread 2017-2018
 

Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer (Post 12506054)
If you're looking for classy fans Twitter and football aren't the best places to be looking.

I can certainly understand the players reaction with Karius though, they'd be furious initially so would need time to calm down but I think someone like Alberto Moreno or Lovren should've been able to understand how he felt right away and gone to him, I guess those 2 just don't realise they **** up just as badly regularly.

There's absolutely no point having a go at Karius, we knew at the beginning of the season our keepers weren't good enough and although Karius improved, and may keep improving, we always knew he had a game like this in him just as Lovren and Moreno do too.

We went through a lot of keepers prior to Dudek and then Reina but maybe having 2 decent ones in a row made us forget how important they are. It will be interesting to see how the club responds now though, Mignolet is almost certainly off so we have to get another keeper but the question is will it be a 1st,2nd or 3rd choice keeper? My biggest fear is that we'll spend the summer expecting a new keeper and defender and end up just signing another bunch of midfielders.

He acted with a lot of dignity by going to the fans and apologizing. You have got to feel compassion for him, but it is hard to imagine a long term future for him at Anfield.

Cainess May 27th 2018 7:46 pm

Re: British football thread 2017-2018
 
Some observations:

1. Sergio Ramos...many on social media trying to paint him as some sort of devil who deliberately busted Salah...nonsense. Yes, he fouled Salah in the incident but it was nothing more than a 'standard' challenge, and unfortunately for Salah it was the way he landed on the ground which did the damage to his shoulder (the OPPOSITE one to that which Ramos had intertwined with....);

2. Karius.... felt sorry for the boy at the end. Yes, he cost his team any chance of winning the game, but it was hardly deliberate on his part, and the manner in which he *appeared* to be cold-shouldered by most of his team-mates after the game was very sad to see. YNWA???! Umm, ok. There's nothing he could have done about Bale's first goal, absolute rocket of an overhead that deserved to win any game!

3. Klopp- definite general improvement since he arrived at LFC, Stevie Wonder could see that.... however, they definitely lack any strength in depth, and it goes without saying that a quality goalkeeper is one thing he hasn't addressed yet;

4. Any of you scousers who regard this season as a failure now want to have a word with yourselves... unless citeh collapse on a scale never seen before, most of the rest will be playing for 2nd in the PL, so a cup competition is the best you can hope for, at least for now. You almost (unbelievably) won the European Cup...a huge over-achievement for this squad. Flip sake, you still have Lovren as a regular starter- he wouldn't make the 1st team squad at Madrid, Barca, Bayern!! :p

5. After Hicks & Gillette, just be thankful Liverpool still exist. Klopp may be a 'head the ball', but you certainly don't want for entertainment, and surely the great memories from every season's "journey" are what being a football supporter is all about.... this one has been better than most fans' get!

Anyway, the whole "Sergio Ramos is evil incarnate" thing really takes me to the fair.... all this from many of those who almost certainly once stood and gave hearty ovations to Neal "Razor" Ruddock for attempting to break opposition strikers in two (literally!!) at Anfield.... don't much like it when it's a Liverpool striker getting a bit of roughed-up '****housery' from a foreigner, though....??! http://irishleaguesupporters.com/for...ies/secret.gif http://irishleaguesupporters.com/for.../whistling.gif

The salient fact is: if Klopp announced the signing of Ramos in August, those same people clambering for him to be lynched on social media today would have his picture as their "header" images on Twitter & Facebook accounts all over the globe!! http://irishleaguesupporters.com/for...ilies/grin.gifhttp://irishleaguesupporters.com/for...ies/cheesy.gif Don't argue, you KNOW it's true!!

There's none so fickle as the modern football 'fan'.

DaveLovesDee May 27th 2018 7:50 pm

Re: British football thread 2017-2018
 

Originally Posted by Cainess (Post 12506111)
3. Klopp- definite general improvement since he arrived at LFC, Stevie Wonder could see that.... however, they definitely lack any strength in depth, and it goes without saying that a quality goalkeeper is one thing he hasn't addressed yet;

They need better defenders and a Hamman.

Scamp May 28th 2018 4:43 am

Re: British football thread 2017-2018
 

Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer (Post 12506054)
If you're looking for classy fans Twitter and football aren't the best places to be looking.

I can certainly understand the players reaction with Karius though, they'd be furious initially so would need time to calm down but I think someone like Alberto Moreno or Lovren should've been able to understand how he felt right away and gone to him, I guess those 2 just don't realise they **** up just as badly regularly.

Agreed. Apparently the police will investigate the death threats, would be fantastic to see people punished....them and the ones who were wishing terminal cancer on him and his family.

Karius was given some love by team mates apparently, I just think it's a real shame that it took so long. You're a bunch of mates and when a mate ****s up you rally round, you don't give him the cold shoulder until you're ready to help. Maybe a touch dramatic but leaving him to just feel atrocious when you could be sat next to him is pretty damn poor.


Originally Posted by Cainess (Post 12506111)
Some observations:

1. Sergio Ramos...many on social media trying to paint him as some sort of devil who deliberately busted Salah...nonsense. Yes, he fouled Salah in the incident but it was nothing more than a 'standard' challenge, and unfortunately for Salah it was the way he landed on the ground which did the damage to his shoulder (the OPPOSITE one to that which Ramos had intertwined with....);

You mean Liverpool fans played the victim? And they moaned? Never?

SpoogleDrummer May 28th 2018 11:06 pm

Re: British football thread 2017-2018
 

Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer (Post 12506054)
My biggest fear is that we'll spend the summer expecting a new keeper and defender and end up just signing another bunch of midfielders.

Well we've just signed our second midfielder of the window.

kimilseung May 29th 2018 12:55 am

Re: British football thread 2017-2018
 

Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer (Post 12506054)
My biggest fear is that we'll spend the summer expecting a new keeper and defender and end up just signing another bunch of midfielders.

Did you have insider information?

SpoogleDrummer May 29th 2018 2:25 am

Re: British football thread 2017-2018
 

Originally Posted by kimilseung (Post 12506793)
Did you have insider information?

Yes I'm Jorge Mendes.

Cainess May 29th 2018 4:03 pm

Re: British football thread 2017-2018
 
The End of Season 'Awards".....


https://reddevilsreport.com/columnis...-season-awards

ededed May 30th 2018 10:32 am

Re: British football thread 2017-2018
 
Right. Just a heads up...as is the norm, we’ll be shutting down the 2017/2018 PL thread at the end of this week. There will be a transfer rumour thread opening in the next day or so (Bale to United, Barry Chuckle to Liverpool) and then - Magic Mike will be opening a PL thread after the World Cup as his prize for supporting a team that had the good fortune to be bought by a state-funded entity that needed to funnel cash overseas.

If I was to sum up this season in 3 sentences...

1. United got better, but also got worse
2. While I don’t like City, I’ve remembered how much I really, really hate Liverpool
3. The press’s reaction to Sterling’s tattoo has finally convinced me to stop reading newspapers


ededed May 30th 2018 10:40 am

Re: British football thread 2017-2018
 

Scamp May 30th 2018 12:21 pm

Re: British football thread 2017-2018
 

Originally Posted by ededed (Post 12507677)
Right. Just a heads up...as is the norm, we’ll be shutting down the 2017/2018 PL thread at the end of this week. There will be a transfer rumour thread opening in the next day or so (Bale to United, Barry Chuckle to Liverpool) and then - Magic Mike will be opening a PL thread after the World Cup as his prize for supporting a team that had the good fortune to be bought by a state-funded entity that needed to funnel cash overseas.

If I was to sum up this season in 3 sentences...

1. United got better, but also got worse
2. While I don’t like City, I’ve remembered how much I really, really hate Liverpool
3. The press’s reaction to Sterling’s tattoo has finally convinced me to stop reading newspapers


The Sterling tattoo thing is outrageous.

My summary in 3:
1. City were a total joy to watch and deserve all the records they broke.
2. Klopp is a total fraud who couldn't win the best manager in Liverpool final.
3. Arise Saint Mark.

Cainess May 30th 2018 1:59 pm

Re: British football thread 2017-2018
 
Goodbye, crappy season....

zargof May 30th 2018 3:51 pm

Re: British football thread 2017-2018
 
Is it true they are building a statue of Karius outside of Old Trafford after what happened at the weekend?

This has been a season to forget, and I am trying to purge from my memory the thought that Sam Allardyce was Everton manager. The fact that Everton finished 8th is a reflection on how bad the teams outside the top 6 have been. Arsenal were awful, but still finished 6th. Burnley were 7th. Mental stuff.

Garbatellamike May 30th 2018 5:42 pm

Re: British football thread 2017-2018
 

Originally Posted by Cainess (Post 12507795)
Goodbye, crappy season....

Goodbye , great season😉


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:54 am.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.