Go Back  British Expats > General > The Locker Room
Reload this Page >

British football thread 2017-2018

British football thread 2017-2018

Old Jun 12th 2017, 8:21 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British football thread 2017-2018

Originally Posted by pommybird View Post
Well that's where you and me differ, yes we won nothing last season, but as far as I'm concerned, as a Spurs fan it's been the most enjoyable, entertaining and exciting season of football I have seen us play.
Which is great! But their is more than one way to skin a cat. Jose was brought in to steady the ship and re-build, which is what he is doing.

Stage 1. Stop losing as much / make us hard to beat. He has done this by turning our loses into draws unfortunately. If this equates to more defensive / boring football for a season or two then so be it. It's always best to build from the back.

Stage 2. Build a team. Bring in players who he wants in the positions he needs. Unfortunately we had several players this season who just didn't perform and I'm sure a few will be more than a bit worried. Then towards the end our injuries and game pile up punished us.

Stage 3. Start winning more. Once Jose has a team of his building (assuming he doesn't go mental and get sacked that is) then the football will improve. It's unfair to say he's one dimensional. At Chelsea he was defensive at the beginning but he certainly wasn't at Porto or Real.

With regards to Spurs, its great you have some decent young players who are playing decent football but bringing them through is one thing, keeping them is another. Playing decent football is great but players want to win things. No one looks back at the end of their playing career and thinks that was a great 2nd place. It will only be a season or two of nearlies before your decent players loyalties start to wain when other teams start offering decent wages and the potential for a cup or two.
Old Jun 12th 2017, 10:19 am
Grace and gratitude

pommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jam25mack View Post
Which is great! But their is more than one way to skin a cat. Jose was brought in to steady the ship and re-build, which is what he is doing.

Stage 1. Stop losing as much / make us hard to beat. He has done this by turning our loses into draws unfortunately. If this equates to more defensive / boring football for a season or two then so be it. It's always best to build from the back.

Stage 2. Build a team. Bring in players who he wants in the positions he needs. Unfortunately we had several players this season who just didn't perform and I'm sure a few will be more than a bit worried. Then towards the end our injuries and game pile up punished us.

Stage 3. Start winning more. Once Jose has a team of his building (assuming he doesn't go mental and get sacked that is) then the football will improve. It's unfair to say he's one dimensional. At Chelsea he was defensive at the beginning but he certainly wasn't at Porto or Real.

With regards to Spurs, its great you have some decent young players who are playing decent football but bringing them through is one thing, keeping them is another. Playing decent football is great but players want to win things. No one looks back at the end of their playing career and thinks that was a great 2nd place. It will only be a season or two of nearlies before your decent players loyalties start to wain when other teams start offering decent wages and the potential for a cup or two.
Not sure about the Mourinho master plan, but can't disagree on the Spurs stuff, hope Levy wakes up and smells the coffee with wages.
Old Jun 12th 2017, 1:05 pm

ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute

Let's be serious for a moment, money buys trophies, hence you won some last season, but can you honestly say, as an ardent and lifelong Man U fan, that you enjoyed one game last season, seeing your team play under Mourinho and his boring park the bus tactics?
I enjoyed beating Chelsea and Spurs at home, yes. Didn't park the bus either time and ran out easy winners.

We drew 0-0 with Burnley, with 30+ shots on goal. Damn that parked bus!

Etc, etc, etc,
Old Jun 12th 2017, 2:06 pm
Grace and gratitude

pommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ededed View Post
I enjoyed beating Chelsea and Spurs at home, yes. Didn't park the bus either time and ran out easy winners.

We drew 0-0 with Burnley, with 30+ shots on goal. Damn that parked bus!

Etc, etc, etc,
Ah yes, we were utter gash that day and you put one past us...
Old Jun 12th 2017, 2:58 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ededed View Post
Ah yes, we were utter gash that day and you put one past us...
If memory serves Wanyama missed a free header that day. Would have been 1-1 otherwise.

Spurs started slow and United made several decent chances taking the lead. After that for 60 minutes it was a relatively dull affair other than the Wanyama miss.

Still it was United's marquee performance in the Premier League according to Ed. Each to their own. Although I guess they scored a goal so........
Old Jun 12th 2017, 3:03 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

FTFY

It is amusing how you seem to think nearly winning something is a result.
It's amusing that you finished 6th, four places behind Spurs who have a much better team than you despite your embarrassment of riches.

Please amuse me further
Old Jun 12th 2017, 3:13 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

Originally Posted by Scamp View Post
Maybe Kyle Walker is a winner and wants to compete for the League?

Who is Kyle Walker-Peters? I assumed that was a joke name?
I assumed it was a joke name when I first heard it. I started getting confused when there was a second Moussa Dembele???

But KWP was one of the stand out players in the U20's World Cup side. He can play on the right and left. We're blessed with 3 good right back's so happy to cash in with the one we can get silly money for.

I'm not convinced City will challenge with Guardiola and I doubt if they do it will be next season because of the overhaul.

The only reasons Walker will move is that Poch has started to drop him and he will make double the money at City.
Old Jun 12th 2017, 5:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamesM View Post
It's amusing that you finished 6th, four places behind Spurs who have a much better team than you despite your embarrassment of riches.

Please amuse me further
Yawn..... last season is over.... and your team won bugger all yet again.

Let's see who has the better team when the next season starts......
Old Jun 12th 2017, 5:54 pm
I love my brick!

zargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond repute

I love a good Monday morning bite..... So here goes.

The thing is tho, United fans enjoy this kind of chat from the ABUs as it means people are starting to get worried again.
I cut the rest of this, as this is the only part that's relevant. This whole ABU thing that Man Utd fans obsess about is what I was talking about. Any criticism aimed at your club is dismissed as this ABU nonsense. If you look at my posts you'll see I criticise pretty much every club including my own. Your shower aren't special.
Old Jun 12th 2017, 6:26 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

Originally Posted by zargof View Post
I cut the rest of this, as this is the only part that's relevant. This whole ABU thing that Man Utd fans obsess about is what I was talking about. Any criticism aimed at your club is dismissed as this ABU nonsense. If you look at my posts you'll see I criticise pretty much every club including my own. Your shower aren't special.
They have a chip on their shoulder. It's the plastic fan thing.......
Old Jun 12th 2017, 6:30 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

I love a good Monday morning bite..... So here goes.

Comparing a team who've never won the EPL to one who won it only 4-5yrs ago is waaaay to much of a stretch so I'll just leave that alone.
Yawn..... last season is over.... and your team won bugger all yet again.

Let's see who has the better team when the next season starts......
You've gone from trying to rub the past in other peoples faces to not wanting to talk about it now.

You won trophies that the other big clubs didn't want or need to play for.

It's like being top of the third string maths class in high school and trying to rub it in the face of someone in first string. Nobody in the first string cares you are best of the rest because they are smarter than you.

It's pitiful how far Manchester United "fans" have fallen. Chelsea are winning proper plastic so go and switch allegiance, create a new user name and come back

Last edited by JamesM; Jun 12th 2017 at 6:43 pm.
Old Jun 12th 2017, 7:31 pm
So long...

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Last edited by DaveLovesDee; Jun 12th 2017 at 7:35 pm.
Old Jun 13th 2017, 12:25 am
Dive Bar Drunk

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee View Post
Getting back to the proper football discussion that us rationale fans prefer to have.

I saw Sanchez is likely on his way to City.

Do you think Mahrez could full his void and what else is Wenger going to do to try and elevate you back?
Old Jun 13th 2017, 5:58 am
WWLLCJD?

Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute

I assumed it was a joke name when I first heard it. I started getting confused when there was a second Moussa Dembele???

But KWP was one of the stand out players in the U20's World Cup side. He can play on the right and left. We're blessed with 3 good right back's so happy to cash in with the one we can get silly money for.
Just googled Kyle Walker Peters.

He was born in 1997 and is 20 years old.

That makes even me feel old. Ededed will cry when he sees.
Old Jun 13th 2017, 8:50 am
BE Forum Addict

You've gone from trying to rub the past in other peoples faces to not wanting to talk about it now.

No I didn't. I said openly we've been shit, but at least we have won something recently, I.e. this season. Not once did I mention our illustrious history, unless you are talking about me referring to the fact that we last won the EPL in 2012-13. If 5yrs ago counts as distant history then does your inane chatter about last season count as history too? Where is this imaginary history line?

At the end of the day Spurs have won nothing in forever. All they've done is play some nice football on occasions, bottled the league twice in the last 2 seasons, done nothing in any of the cups and been bang average in Europe....... but here you are sounding more and more like the Arsenal fans you deride and as a club take the piss out of.

Once you win something feel free to have a go but when you've not its just ridiculous

You won trophies that the other big clubs didn't want or need to play for.

Bollocks. If you are talking about Spurs as a big club then I'm sure your team would have loved to have actually won something seeing as it has been so very long. This opinion that clubs don't want to win or can't be bothered with certain competitions has been skewed. Yes if you are battling for the title or in several different competitions or on a knife edge for top 4 then by all means play a second string team in the lesser competitions but if you're not in this situation then why wouldn't you not want to win a trophy?

It's like being top of the third string maths class in high school and trying to rub it in the face of someone in first string. Nobody in the first string cares you are best of the rest because they are smarter than you.

That would be a great analogy if you hadn't been in the Europa League and been knocked out by Gent, or are you going to claim Spurs didn't want to win the Europa League because they're now above that particular competition seeing as they have been so dominant in the champions league?

It's pitiful how far Manchester United "fans" have fallen. Chelsea are winning proper plastic so go and switch allegiance, create a new user name and come back

Ehh, so now I'm a plastic fan. Surely, surely you have better banter than average school ground chat that that??? Like seriously..... that is just embarrassing. My seven yr old niece has witter repartee than that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.