British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Locker Room (https://britishexpats.com/forum/locker-room-66/)
-   -   British football thread 2017-2018 (https://britishexpats.com/forum/locker-room-66/british-football-thread-2017-2018-a-896758/)

Scamp Jul 11th 2017 4:17 am

Re: British football thread 2017-2018

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12290903)
Windu? I thought a Jedi would have got things done. So would Samuel L. Jackson......

http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/...20150816074526

If only I watched Star Wars, I might get this. :blink:
Sorry mate!

Originally Posted by zargof (Post 12290906)
Stick him in a Man Utd shirt and someone will think it's Romelu Lukaku.

Originally Posted by zargof (Post 12290946)
After tax that works out at one million a week.

Chortle chortle. :rofl::rofl:

jam25mack Jul 11th 2017 5:21 am

Originally Posted by johnwoo (Post 12291396)
Everyone scrambling to sign new players?
Chelsea, what's wrong with the players you have? They got you the Championship.
If it aint broke don't fix it.

Hardly convincing though was it. You won a league that everyone else was doing their best no to. Well despite Spurs, but no one with any sense expected them to mount a serious challenge. No balls.

Originally Posted by johnwoo (Post 12291396)
MU is desperate for a new team you are not.

How do you work that one out? United have signed 2 players.... I'd take 1, possibly 2 more..... Hardly a full team especially when we have had two forward players leave..... and probably 1 or 2 more also likely to depart.....in a squad of 23.

And did you not lose your 'Captain, Philanderer, Leader, Racist, Legend'..... and what about Costa....he'll be off to Athletico will he not? And I'm sure there will be another 1 or 2 out the door.

Both teams are in a similar positions, its just United are getting the business done and Chelski are not. Conte must be raging.

Can see you paying waaaay over the top for Morata in the next week or so too. Real need the cash for Mbappe and are looking for a mug to sponsor the buy. Quite surprised it wasn't us if I'm honest. :ohmy:

johnwoo Jul 11th 2017 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by jam25mack (Post 12291473)
Hardly convincing though was it. You won a league that everyone else was doing their best no to. Well despite Spurs, but no one with any sense expected them to mount a serious challenge. No balls.

How do you work that one out? United have signed 2 players.... I'd take 1, possibly 2 more..... Hardly a full team especially when we have had two forward players leave..... and probably 1 or 2 more also likely to depart.....in a squad of 23.

And did you not lose your 'Captain, Philanderer, Leader, Racist, Legend'..... and what about Costa....he'll be off to Athletico will he not? And I'm sure there will be another 1 or 2 out the door.

Both teams are in a similar positions, its just United are getting the business done and Chelski are not. Conte must be raging.

Can see you paying waaaay over the top for Morata in the next week or so too. Real need the cash for Mbappe and are looking for a mug to sponsor the buy. Quite surprised it wasn't us if I'm honest. :ohmy:

Terry wasn't a factor last season, Costa's fate is still uncertain. I'd just like to see them go with the players that got them the title and bring on more younger players. I was disappointed when they traded Ake.
There's not much satisfaction in being able to buy the title in my opinion.

jam25mack Jul 12th 2017 5:14 am

Originally Posted by johnwoo (Post 12292031)
There's not much satisfaction in being able to buy the title in my opinion.

Surprised you'd know any different.... ;):p

To be fair though it's not 'buying the title' anymore, its about doing business. Football is big business, its not some amateur game played by Joe Bloggs anymore, it professional athletes at the top of their game getting paid huge sums to do it. As such, anyone who thinks you can be successful and win the title by not spending huge sums is deluded. Yes, once every 20 yrs there a rouge result like Leicester but that's an oddity. There's not just 1 team who have cash anymore, there's several. Look at Everton for instance. The TV rights deal and multiple dodgy foreign owners fixed that.

And if that was a weak dig at United spending then meh. Yeah we do, so what? We've earned it. We all know football goes around in cycles, sometimes you have to spend big to bring in players and rebuild a team, other times your team is settled and you only need to spend a little bit. Just because Chelsea currently have a more settled squad than others doesn't mean they have any right to vilify other teams who don't and are spending, as we know when the cycle repeats Chelsea will have zero qualms about splashing the cash big time.

I'd say if you want to support a team who don't spend big then you'd better pick someone like Crystal Palace and be prepared for a long wait before they win anything of note.

Scamp Jul 12th 2017 5:31 am

Originally Posted by jam25mack (Post 12292310)

I'd say if you want to support a team who don't spend big then you'd better pick someone like Crystal Palace and be prepared for a long wait before they win anything of note.

How much did they spend on Benteke?

We're the only club who avoid spending big like the plague. We're a family club. A true football fan's club. Do-it-the-right-way sort of club. We are the last bastion in what is right with football. I sneer at all of you supporting faceless corporate giants who see you as a number not a person.

Now. Where are these new Chinese owners?

#WeMarchOn

jam25mack Jul 12th 2017 5:43 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12292319)
How much did they spend on Benteke?

We're the only club who avoid spending big like the plague. We're a family club. A true football fan's club. Do-it-the-right-way sort of club. We are the last bastion in what is right with football. I sneer at all of you supporting faceless corporate giants who see you as a number not a person.

Now. Where are these new Chinese owners?

#WeMarchOn

Ha ha, fair enough...

I'd say if you want to support a team who don't spend big then you'd better pick someone like Southampton and be prepared for a long wait before they win anything of note. However, thats incidental as they're a team who exhibit everything that is good in the world. A tear comes to my eye and my chest swells every time I think about them.... God bless Southampton.

Scamp Jul 12th 2017 6:23 am

Originally Posted by jam25mack (Post 12292322)
Ha ha, fair enough...

I'd say if you want to support a team who don't spend big then you'd better pick someone like Southampton and be prepared for a long wait before they win anything of note. However, thats incidental as they're a team who exhibit everything that is good in the world. A tear comes to my eye and my chest swells every time I think about them.... God bless Southampton.

Thanks buddy.

True story; tried out the Outlet Village on the way back from Abu Dhabi at the weekend. Guy in the Adidas shop (as I was paying for some beautiful new Gazelles) asked me who I support in England, obviously chuckled and said 'small team, Southampton'. Bit of a blank stare but repeated and he either remembered our greatness or got away with pretending. I asked him who he liked in England....he said Arsenal. I laughed and made jokes about Wenger liking kids. He didn't get it. Then he said: "but this season I will support Liverpool because they have signed Salah".

Just like United used Park to sell shirts in South Korea, the Liverpool board are hoping that everyone in Egypt will become a fan...I guess.

pommybird Jul 12th 2017 7:10 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12292333)
Thanks buddy.

True story; tried out the Outlet Village on the way back from Abu Dhabi at the weekend. Guy in the Adidas shop (as I was paying for some beautiful new Gazelles) asked me who I support in England, obviously chuckled and said 'small team, Southampton'. Bit of a blank stare but repeated and he either remembered our greatness or got away with pretending. I asked him who he liked in England....he said Arsenal. I laughed and made jokes about Wenger liking kids. He didn't get it. Then he said: "but this season I will support Liverpool because they have signed Salah".

Just like United used Park to sell shirts in South Korea, the Liverpool board are hoping that everyone in Egypt will become a fan...I guess.

If you look back seasons ago to my posts, you will see that I predicted Salah to be the next big thing, before he even got noticed! I am a football genius!
(I did also predict that Andros Townsend would be the next Gareth Bale, so my football wizard is sometimes a little off kilter).

Anyway, Mike, what's this Iheanacho like? Worth 20 m?

johnwoo Jul 12th 2017 7:39 am

Originally Posted by jam25mack (Post 12292310)
Surprised you'd know any different.... ;):p

To be fair though it's not 'buying the title' anymore, its about doing business. Football is big business, its not some amateur game played by Joe Bloggs anymore, it professional athletes at the top of their game getting paid huge sums to do it. As such, anyone who thinks you can be successful and win the title by not spending huge sums is deluded. Yes, once every 20 yrs there a rouge result like Leicester but that's an oddity. There's not just 1 team who have cash anymore, there's several. Look at Everton for instance. The TV rights deal and multiple dodgy foreign owners fixed that.

And if that was a weak dig at United spending then meh. Yeah we do, so what? We've earned it. We all know football goes around in cycles, sometimes you have to spend big to bring in players and rebuild a team, other times your team is settled and you only need to spend a little bit. Just because Chelsea currently have a more settled squad than others doesn't mean they have any right to vilify other teams who don't and are spending, as we know when the cycle repeats Chelsea will have zero qualms about splashing the cash big time.

I'm against wealthy teams dominating the PL, that includes Chelsea. That's why I said I'd prefer they stick with the players that got them to the title.
I was with Chelsea when they didn't win much of anything. As far as vilifying other teams, that's a bit rich since no team get vilified more than Chelsea,
I applaud the fans of the lower teams who stick with their team and not jump on the winning band wagon.

pommybird Jul 12th 2017 8:05 am

Originally Posted by johnwoo (Post 12292395)
I'm against wealthy teams dominating the PL, that includes Chelsea. That's why I said I'd prefer they stick with the players that got them to the title.
I was with Chelsea when they didn't win much of anything. As far as vilifying other teams, that's a bit rich since no team get vilified more than Chelsea,
I applaud the fans of the lower teams who stick with their team and not jump on the winning band wagon.

With you all the way, John, at least Chelsea and City fans admit to their success being hinged on money, Man U fans just can't concede the fact that their trophies have also been bought, one way or another.

jam25mack Jul 12th 2017 8:32 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12292333)
Thanks buddy.

Anytime fella.

Originally Posted by johnwoo (Post 12292395)

It's all very well being against it but it's still going to happen if you like it or not.

Originally Posted by pommybird (Post 12292411)
Man U fans just can't concede the fact that their trophies have also been bought, one way or another.

Really? Not sure how you come to that conclusion. United fans openly admit United have cash and that they spend it (its kind of impossible to deny). What they do say, however, is that the cash was / is earned through success and good business and not a sugar daddy with a big fat wallet. If anything our owners take a lot more out than they have ever put in.

Would you not put Spurs in the spendy bracket too? Or are you Bournemouth today?

pommybird Jul 12th 2017 8:37 am

Originally Posted by jam25mack (Post 12292439)
Anytime fella.

It's all very well being against it but it's still going to happen if you like it or not.

Really? Not sure how you come to that conclusion. United fans openly admit United have cash and that they spend it (its kind of impossible to deny). What they do say, however, is that the cash was / is earned through success and good business and not a sugar daddy with a big fat wallet. If anything our owners take a lot more out than they have ever put in.

Would you not put Spurs in the spendy bracket too? Or are you Bournemouth today?

Actually the Cherries have spent way more in this window than Spurs. BTW how much did Lukaku cost you in the end?

Scamp Jul 12th 2017 9:17 am

Originally Posted by pommybird (Post 12292371)
If you look back seasons ago to my posts, you will see that I predicted Salah to be the next big thing, before he even got noticed! I am a football genius!
(I did also predict that Andros Townsend would be the next Gareth Bale, so my football wizard is sometimes a little off kilter).

It doesn't surprise me. I'm sticking to my 'Luke Shaw is the future' gambit. Unless Maureen ruins him because that's not my fault

jam25mack Jul 12th 2017 9:55 am

Originally Posted by pommybird (Post 12292444)
Actually the Cherries have spent way more in this window than Spurs. BTW how much did Lukaku cost you in the end?

That's what I'm saying about cycles.... Spurs have traditionally been up there with everyone else in terms of cash spent. Obv you had a big injection for Bale which must have been nice. Now though you have a reasonably settled squad and so you don't need to spend that much. Give it a season or 2 or 3 or whatever and it will be a different matter.

Lukaku..... I'm not too sure many people know if I am honest. I've heard figures ranging from 75 to 90 M..... :eek: and then you have all the idiots trying to batter it down and argue it away with unrelated incomes such as the 15 M of Schneiderlin cash which was still owed and sell on cash for Keane, plus an allowance for Rooney etc etc.... as if all of these were somehoe included in the deal. Personally I'm not bothered. We have it, lets spend it. It's not like us as fans who generate it can get any, so why not. We know we get shafted every deal these day.... but hey ho!

Going back, I forgot to ask about your Salah comment. You said something about him being a big thing. Is he? How's that?

pommybird Jul 12th 2017 10:18 am

Originally Posted by jam25mack (Post 12292510)
That's what I'm saying about cycles.... Spurs have traditionally been up there with everyone else in terms of cash spent. Obv you had a big injection for Bale which must have been nice. Now though you have a reasonably settled squad and so you don't need to spend that much. Give it a season or 2 or 3 or whatever and it will be a different matter.

Lukaku..... I'm not too sure many people know if I am honest. I've heard figures ranging from 75 to 90 M..... :eek: and then you have all the idiots trying to batter it down and argue it away with unrelated incomes such as the 15 M of Schneiderlin cash which was still owed and sell on cash for Keane, plus an allowance for Rooney etc etc.... as if all of these were somehoe included in the deal. Personally I'm not bothered. We have it, lets spend it. It's not like us as fans who generate it can get any, so why not. We know we get shafted every deal these day.... but hey ho!

Going back, I forgot to ask about your Salah comment. You said something about him being a big thing. Is he? How's that?

Salah? Weill he's quite good last time I looked, isn't he? A few 'big' clubs seemed to want him anyway.

As for Spurs, buying players is one thing, paying them top wages is another, and we fall short of every other top club in the prem.

jam25mack Jul 12th 2017 10:37 am

Originally Posted by pommybird (Post 12292539)
Salah? Weill he's quite good last time I looked, isn't he? A few 'big' clubs seemed to want him anyway.

Not saying he's bad juest querying the 'next big thing' tagline? The Liverpool fans I have spoken too all seem a bit luke warm on him. Haven't seen much of him if I'm honest, hence why I'm asking.

Just Wiki'd him and his returns are:

Game Goals

2010–2012 El Mokawloon 38 (11)
2012–2014 Basel 47 (9)
2014–2016 Chelsea 13 (2)
2015 → Fiorentina (loan) 16 (6)
2015–2016 → Roma (loan) 34 (14)
2016–2017 Roma 31 (15)
2017– Liverpool 0 (0)

Not a bad return last season for Roma.

SpoogleDrummer Jul 12th 2017 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by jam25mack (Post 12292510)
Lukaku..... I'm not too sure many people know if I am honest. I've heard figures ranging from 75 to 90 M..... :eek:

I wonder if that includes his agent's fee? I can't believe how much money that git is on. People talk about capping player wages but surely agent fees is the thing that needs capping or banning altogether.

jam25mack Jul 13th 2017 5:13 am

Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer (Post 12292804)
I wonder if that includes his agent's fee? I can't believe how much money that git is on. People talk about capping player wages but surely agent fees is the thing that needs capping or banning altogether.

Dunno, but you're right, he makes an absolute fortune off each deal.... and then you just look at the players he represents. He has about 5 or 6 (if not more) proper big boys. Its obscene.

Talking of agents I met one in the bar at Dubai airport at the end of last season. I was flying back for a few United games and was sat watching the CL on the TV and got talking to this chap sat next to me about the game. He was a football agent who worked for a small up and coming agency who had a few second tier Clients (mostly in the Netherlands) and he was telling me his company was trying to go about their business in a very clear and open manner as they could see that sooner or later the bottom was going to fall out of all the dodgy dealings. He was giving me his 'industry opinion' on some of the transfer rumours at the time and if or if not they would happen and why. Nice guy.

Garbatellamike Jul 13th 2017 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by pommybird (Post 12292371)

Definitely worth that - natural finisher very quick and strong and has better mins/goals than Auguerooooooooooo

Garbatellamike Jul 13th 2017 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by pommybird (Post 12292411)
With you all the way, John, at least Chelsea and City fans admit to their success being hinged on money, Man U fans just can't concede the fact that their trophies have also been bought, one way or another.

:goodpost::goodpost::goodpost: Yep

zargof Jul 13th 2017 5:33 pm

50M for Kyle Walker. Is he really worth the same as John Stones or Raheem Sterling?

Garbatellamike Jul 13th 2017 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by zargof (Post 12293810)
50M for Kyle Walker. Is he really worth the same as John Stones or Raheem Sterling?

no - more

ededed Jul 13th 2017 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike (Post 12293680)
:goodpost::goodpost::goodpost: Yep

It's actually the complete opposite, but let's not let that get in the way of a good old ABU pot-stirring.

Originally Posted by zargof (Post 12293810)

He's worth much more, but isn't anywhere close to being worth £50m. Lukaku is still looking like the bargain of the window so far.

zargof Jul 13th 2017 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by ededed (Post 12293822)
He's worth much more, but isn't anywhere close to being worth £50m. Lukaku is still looking like the bargain of the window so far.

Just wait until you see his first touch...

pommybird Jul 13th 2017 6:00 pm

50 mill for one of the best RB's in the prem seems about the gping rate to me...,,,and yes I am talking about Walker.

zargof Jul 13th 2017 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by pommybird (Post 12293828)
50 mill for one of the best RB's in the prem seems about the gping rate to me...,,,and yes I am talking about Walker.

I dunno, I've never really rated Walker. He's no Tony Hibbert, that's for sure.

As for the price, we're about to spend that on Sigurdsson, and to me it seems like we'll be getting more for our money.

pommybird Jul 13th 2017 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by zargof (Post 12293847)
I dunno, I've never really rated Walker. He's no Tony Hibbert, that's for sure.

As for the price, we're about to spend that on Sigurdsson, and to me it seems like we'll be getting more for our money.

Ooh interesting debate, I always rated Siggy when he was at Spurs and was surprised and gutted when we sold him, I've always rated Walker too, he's fast, fit, strong and excellent at going forward, the only development he needs is a bit more footballing intelligence and decision making at times. 50 mill is a lot for a defender, relative to 50 mill for a midfielder, but to me if I had 50 mill and had to choose between Siggy or Walker, I would choose Walker. I'm sure some Spurs fans would disagree though.

Garbatellamike Jul 13th 2017 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by ededed (Post 12293822)
It's actually the complete opposite, but let's not let that get in the way of a good old ABU pot-stirring.

nothing ABU about it Ed - you bought title but just got the money from commercial activities rather than a sugar daddy.

Lukaku a bargain in the Torres/Caroll sense of bargain?

ededed Jul 13th 2017 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike (Post 12293964)
nothing ABU about it Ed - you bought title but just got the money from commercial activities rather than a sugar daddy.

Lukaku a bargain in the Torres/Caroll sense of bargain?

We all did. Even Leicester. When we won it in '94 it was because we spent £1M on Eric. That's all. But it still counts as buying the title. Yawn.

You won't be mocking big Rom when he goes past Ronaldo and Messi to win the golden boot.

zargof Jul 13th 2017 9:57 pm

Originally Posted by ededed (Post 12294004)
You won't be mocking big Rom when he goes past Ronaldo and Messi to win the golden boot.

Unless Harry Kane scores 16 goals in the last two games of the season again...

ededed Jul 13th 2017 10:06 pm

Originally Posted by zargof (Post 12294007)
Unless Harry Kane scores 16 goals in the last two games of the season again...

Good point. He'll do well at Spurs, seeing as how they aren't a selling club.

Garbatellamike Jul 13th 2017 10:25 pm

Originally Posted by ededed (Post 12294004)
We all did. Even Leicester. When we won it in '94 it was because we spent £1M on Eric. That's all. But it still counts as buying the title. Yawn.

sorry mate but you are not fooling anyone - you bought titles just like we did

johnwoo Jul 14th 2017 3:36 am

Originally Posted by pommybird (Post 12293869)
Ooh interesting debate, I always rated Siggy when he was at Spurs and was surprised and gutted when we sold him, I've always rated Walker too, he's fast, fit, strong and excellent at going forward, the only development he needs is a bit more footballing intelligence and decision making at times. 50 mill is a lot for a defender, relative to 50 mill for a midfielder, but to me if I had 50 mill and had to choose between Siggy or Walker, I would choose Walker. I'm sure some Spurs fans would disagree though.

What's the status of Danny Rose, I'd rate him before Walker. I see Walker as a bit of a thug, not a bad quality in a full back.

Scamp Jul 14th 2017 6:15 am

Originally Posted by pommybird (Post 12293828)

He's a shit Jason Dodd.

Levy at his best getting 50m for him

ededed Jul 14th 2017 7:18 am

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike (Post 12294040)
sorry mate but you are not fooling anyone - you bought titles just like we did

I was actually agreeing with you. Obviously your intellect is as full as your stadium ;)

Almost prediction time. Right now:

1. City
2. United
3. Everton
4. Arse
5. Spurs
6. Dippers

If United get a number 10 (or if Zlatan defies medical science and is ready for August) then the top 2 will switch (obviously).

I can't go to the bookies and put it on for you....

JamesM Jul 14th 2017 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by ededed (Post 12294253)
I was actually agreeing with you. Obviously your intellect is as full as your stadium ;)

Almost prediction time. Right now:

1. City
2. United
3. Everton
4. Arse
5. Spurs
6. Dippers

If United get a number 10 (or if Zlatan defies medical science and is ready for August) then the top 2 will switch (obviously).

I can't go to the bookies and put it on for you....

I wouldn't mind seeing the toffees do well.

The title race will be between Chelsea, United and Spurs.

City for fourth.

Liverpool and Arsenal fighting for fifth.

Stole this from the comments in the Guardian :p:

City: How much for Walker?
Levy: 50 million
City: that's bloody ridiculous you signed him for like 3 million, he's not that good. Plus we are gonna sign Alves so he's not our first choice.
Levy: 50 million
City: 25mil and add ons?
Levy: 50
City: 30?
Levy: 50.
City: Right, take this 40 and be done, even we know he's not that good but needs must and we think that's more than fair.
Levy: How's that Alves deal coming along?
City: Right, there's no need for that. Take the ****ing £50mil and just get this deal done.
Levy: Did I mention the £3 million in add ons?
City: oh for ****s sake, Daniel

SpoogleDrummer Jul 14th 2017 4:38 pm

I don't know how you're making all these predictions when United and Arsenal are the only ones to buy anyone so far and both clubs still have a chance to lose their star players.

ededed Jul 14th 2017 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer (Post 12294627)
I don't know how you're making all these predictions when United and Arsenal are the only ones to buy anyone so far and both clubs still have a chance to lose their star players.

The Dippers could buy Messi, Neymar and Ronaldo and still finish 6th.

The good news for Kane and Ali is they're never leaving Spurs. If Levy can get £50m for Walker, those two are worth £300m each.

pommybird Jul 14th 2017 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by ededed (Post 12294681)
The Dippers could buy Messi, Neymar and Ronaldo and still finish 6th.

The good news for Kane and Ali is they're never leaving Spurs. If Levy can get £50m for Walker, those two are worth £300m each.

Anything is possible, we could pay off the stadium (which will be obviously be renamed the Facebook Stadium).

Talking of Facebook, anyone else getting 'suggested posts' on their Facebook page 'entitled 'Menopausal Woman'? (just FRO Facebook).

SpoogleDrummer Jul 15th 2017 1:38 am

Originally Posted by pommybird (Post 12294718)
Talking of Facebook, anyone else getting 'suggested posts' on their Facebook page 'entitled 'Menopausal Woman'? (just FRO Facebook).

No but one of my Gmail accounts keeps telling me there's single moms in my area, I've got a wife and 3 kids of my own, the last thing I need is more kids if I were ever going to stray.