British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Locker Room (https://britishexpats.com/forum/locker-room-66/)
-   -   British football thread 2017-2018 (https://britishexpats.com/forum/locker-room-66/british-football-thread-2017-2018-a-896758/)

ededed May 14th 2017 4:20 pm

British football thread 2017-2018

A thread dedicated to all things football. Except for Mickey Mouse leagues, like the MLS and the SPL.

Garbatellamike May 14th 2017 8:57 pm

Re: British football thread 2017-2018

Cheers Ed

DaveLovesDee May 14th 2017 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by ededed (Post 12252481)
A thread dedicated to all things football. Except for Mickey Mouse leagues, like the MLS and the SPL.

Will there be a 'foreign' football thread for those? :p

Scamp May 15th 2017 7:20 am

Yessssss.

17-18 Season.
Saints might score.

Garbatellamike May 15th 2017 8:20 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12252742)
Yessssss.

17-18 Season.
Saints might score.

Don't get your hopes up :sneaky:

pommybird May 15th 2017 9:39 am

Can I just raise the issue that it will take Cainess until Christmas to realise this thread exits.

mikelincs May 15th 2017 9:45 am

Lincoln City and Forest Green Rovers will be playing in League 2 next season. Come on you Imps....

yellowroom May 15th 2017 1:24 pm

This maybe a daft question - what happens if Spurs get to the last couple of rounds of the FA Cup while their "home" is Wembley? Would a neutral venue have to be found?

ededed May 15th 2017 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by pommybird (Post 12252791)
Can I just raise the issue that it will take Cainess until Christmas to realise this thread exits.

:lol: don't tell him..

Originally Posted by yellowroom (Post 12252939)
This maybe a daft question - what happens if Spurs get to the last couple of rounds of the FA Cup while their "home" is Wembley? Would a neutral venue have to be found?

That's a good question. Given Potch is about to leave it probably isn't a consideration. I doubt Neil Warnock or Tim Sherwood (or whoever Levy gets to replace him on the cheap) will get Spurs past the 3rd round.

Speaking of Levy, I saw that the sweet old soul managed to shellack the Spurs fans for £10 for a souvenir programme for the last match at WHL. What a beautiful man he is. The only saving grace is that Wayne Rooney, the fattest and laziest player in the PL, will forever go down in history as the last man to score at the Lane.

Cainess May 15th 2017 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by ededed (Post 12253065)

The only saving grace is that Wayne Rooney, the fattest and laziest player in the PL, will forever go down in history as the last man to score at the Lane.

Ah, you 'gave the game away' with that post on the other thread, Ed... ;)

Very amused about the second bit.... a trivia quiz question in a few years time (and all this in a game we so clearly didn't give two shites about... :rofl:)!! :p

SpoogleDrummer May 15th 2017 4:21 pm

Given that the last 5 managers that won the Premier League found themselves out of a job not long after I wouldn't be surprised if Levy decided to wait on Conte.

pommybird May 15th 2017 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by ededed (Post 12253065)

<snip Spurs related bollocks>

Speaking of Levy, I saw that the sweet old soul managed to shellack the Spurs fans for £10 for a souvenir programme for the last match at WHL. What a beautiful man he is. The only saving grace is that Wayne Rooney, the fattest and laziest player in the PL, will forever go down in history as the last man to score at the Lane.

Hey don't diss the guy, he organised a rainbow over WHL for the closing ceremony last night, that takes some doing.

ededed May 15th 2017 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by pommybird (Post 12253075)
Hey don't diss the guy, he organised a rainbow over WHL for the closing ceremony last night, that takes some doing.

"Tears from heaven for the lane" I read somewhere. For ****s sake. You're moving next door. It's not like WHL was a decent stadium either. United's midfield yesterday was older than White Hart ****ing Lane.

JamesM May 15th 2017 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12252600)
Will there be a 'foreign' football thread for those? :p

I actually watch MLS live and on TV. It's bollocks.

This post concludes all further discussion.

The last thing we need is that guy coming back who harps on about the A-League and posts those naff supporter videos.

Garbatellamike May 15th 2017 7:10 pm

QUOTE JamesM I actually watch MLS live and on TV. :ban::ban::ban:

ededed May 15th 2017 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike (Post 12253213)
QUOTE JamesM I actually watch MLS live and on TV. :ban::ban::ban:

There's a longer ban for ****ing up quotes....

Cainess May 15th 2017 7:24 pm

Shocking admission, James. :eek:

I went to watch Houston Dynamo when we lived in the city (largely because I was given a free corporate ticket by the company I was working for at the time).... awful... beyond words. Their 'star' player was Giles Barnes (yeah, who??) who was part of the Derby County squad that played the worst ever PL season by any club, ever... the stadium was 1/4 full, mostly of Yanks who hadn't the first notion what they were doing there.... the opposition were Santos Laguna, from Mexico, who were a decent side and had some passionate 'hombres' in the stands.... miraculously Dynamo got a 1-1 draw, though by the time they scored the equaliser, we were getting into the car to go home again....

Garbatellamike May 15th 2017 7:40 pm

[QUOTE=ededed;12253224]There's a longer ban for ****ing up quotes....[/UOTE]

fair enough ;)

Scamp May 16th 2017 4:15 am

Originally Posted by Cainess (Post 12253225)

I went to watch Houston Dynamo when we lived in the city (largely because I was given a free corporate ticket by the company I was working for at the time).... awful... beyond words. Their 'star' player was Giles Barnes (yeah, who??) who was part of the Derby County squad that played the worst ever PL season by any club, ever... the stadium was 1/4 full, mostly of Yanks who hadn't the first notion what they were doing there.... the opposition were Santos Laguna, from Mexico, who were a decent side and had some passionate 'hombres' in the stands.... miraculously Dynamo got a 1-1 draw, though by the time they scored the equaliser, we were getting into the car to go home again....

I've been to a game here, Al Wasl v Dubai FC.

One of the best games I've ever been to in terms of atmosphere and action (red cards, penalty saves, last minute winner for home side to beat their bogey team for the first time in 20 years or something)....BUT.....the football was poor. Hugo Viana stood no further than 10 yards from the centre circle at any time and ran the show, including a screamer to go 2-1 up.

The headwear bit (ghoutra and igal I think) being launched around on the final whistle was a sight to behold. Only bettered by the shuffling, searching and passing around of them all immediately after.

jam25mack May 16th 2017 7:05 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12253463)
I've been to a game here, Al Wasl v Dubai FC.

I've kind of half wanted to go sometime but never got round to it.

Would have loved to have gone to the last game a few seasons ago when Al Wasl won the league. The supporters round town were mental!

Scamp May 16th 2017 7:09 am

Originally Posted by jam25mack (Post 12253527)
I've kind of half wanted to go sometime but never got round to it.

Would have loved to have gone to the last game a few seasons ago when Al Wasl won the league. The supporters round town were mental!

Let's do it when the season restarts after summer.
It's shit but great and typical Dubai chaos to work out and buy tickets and stuff.

jam25mack May 16th 2017 9:33 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12253528)
Let's do it when the season restarts after summer.
It's shit but great and typical Dubai chaos to work out and buy tickets and stuff.

Aye alright, why not.

Sneak carry outs in....?

Scamp May 16th 2017 9:55 am

Originally Posted by jam25mack (Post 12253594)
Aye alright, why not.

Sneak carry outs in....?

Unlikely. They take cigs off you when going into the stand.

JamesM May 16th 2017 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by Cainess (Post 12253225)

It's not like I go out of my way for it.

But if it's on and I'm home then the game will be run.

The nice thing with MLS live is you can drink beer in the stands. I usually get rat arsed and lecture the people around me on the finer points of the game and how they don't know anything. I'm amazed I've never been kicked out actually.

But yes the standard is bad and the teams lop sided. No team spends their designated player money (the money that isn't in the salary cap) on defenders so you end up with Championship attackers playing against league 2 defenders equivalent.

We have Sebastian Giovonco in Toronto who is the MLS's best player. He was a reserve at Juventus. Looks like Maradona when he is out there against MLS defenders. It is easy to see though why the Italian Manager won't pick him because he is not being tested by any level of defending what so ever.

Anyway as I said up thread. No more MLS talk. This reminds me of the time someone wanted to start a fantasy ice hockey league in "The Maple leaf" forum. Not a good idea.

Scamp May 17th 2017 4:32 am

Originally Posted by JamesM (Post 12253904)
We have Sebastian Giovonco in Toronto who is the MLS's best player.

Sprint speed of 97 or 98 on FIFA....

Garbatellamike May 17th 2017 9:51 am

Originally Posted by JamesM (Post 12253904)
We have Sebastian Giovonco in Toronto who is the MLS's best player.

I could never understand why he did't play more in Italy or for the national side more often - superb player :nod:

yellowroom May 18th 2017 5:03 pm

So, retrospective bans for diving are now is now on the cards. Will it make a significant difference to the play next season? Or will it be like the rules on "shirt pulling" that only Mike Dean seemed to be aware of?

https://www.theguardian.com/football...ry-next-season

Cainess May 18th 2017 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by yellowroom (Post 12255574)
So, retrospective bans for diving are now is now on the cards. Will it make a significant difference to the play next season? Or will it be like the rules on "shirt pulling" that only Mike Dean seemed to be aware of?

https://www.theguardian.com/football...ry-next-season

Diego Costa was 'perhaps' moving to China.... now, after this ruling, he's DEFINITELY going... :sneaky:

It's to be welcomed, but as with anything the authorities come up with, it is more about whether it will be implemented properly & fairly, or just have a few like Dean & Jon Moss (spit) implement for a few months before it 'dies a death'....

ededed May 18th 2017 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by Cainess (Post 12255619)
Diego Costa was 'perhaps' moving to China.... now, after this ruling, he's DEFINITELY going... :sneaky:

It's to be welcomed, but as with anything the authorities come up with, it is more about whether it will be implemented properly & fairly, or just have a few like Dean & Jon Moss (spit) implement for a few months before it 'dies a death'....

It's been in place in Scotland for 6 years. I didn't even know that until I heard about the plans today. Not sure it has stopped it, but then players falling over is as much due to being pissed as trying to con the ref.

Garbatellamike May 19th 2017 10:28 am

Good job you don't still have Ronaldo as he'd only play 3 or 4 games a season if they bring that in.

In fairness, I have to add that we will have to sell Sterling!

Scamp May 21st 2017 4:47 am

Oh dear.

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike (Post 12255952)
Good job you don't still have Ronaldo as he'd only play 3 or 4 games a season if they bring that in.

In fairness, I have to add that we will have to sell Sterling!

Sterling...good grief he'll have a tough time adjusting.

I can't wait for some of the first ones to come in, the emptying of arseholes onto forums and facebook from the typical 'big' clubs for being found guilty of having players fall over will be an utter joy to watch.

Ashley Young may as well retire and eat more bird shit.

ededed May 21st 2017 5:35 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12256911)
Ashley Young may as well retire and eat more bird shit.

Topical ;)

zargof May 23rd 2017 3:48 pm

Looks like Siggurdson is going to be an Everton player. I assume as a replacement for Barkley.

Personally, I think we'll get the better end of that deal.

pommybird May 23rd 2017 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by zargof (Post 12258767)
Looks like Siggurdson is going to be an Everton player. I assume as a replacement for Barkley.

I think so too.

Said at the time, don't know why we ever sold Siggy, although I think we got Davies in exchange and he's been a half decent cover while Rose has been injured.

P.S Defoe to Bournemouth on a 3 year deal, well chuffed with that!

yellowroom May 23rd 2017 4:33 pm

Crystal Palace to join the Manager merry-go-round. Was not expecting Allardyce to be going.

SpoogleDrummer May 23rd 2017 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by yellowroom (Post 12258809)
Crystal Palace to join the Manager merry-go-round. Was not expecting Allardyce to be going.

That probably means Zaha is off and Allardyce isn't getting a cut of the sale.

Scamp May 24th 2017 5:57 am

Originally Posted by zargof (Post 12258767)

I'd have an unfit, banned and distracted by Twitter Joey Barton over Ross Barkley.

Garbatellamike May 26th 2017 2:44 pm

All change in Manchester!

Navas, Big Willy, Zaba, Clichy and Sagna all out with Bernardo Silva in from Monaco...

ededed May 26th 2017 9:45 pm

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike (Post 12260984)
All change in Manchester!

Navas, Big Willy, Zaba, Clichy and Sagna all out with Bernardo Silva in from Monaco...

Transfer window opens on July 1st. Not sure how City have managed to get around that?

#crooks #bribery #empty #notrophies #fraudiola #trajectory

DaveLovesDee May 26th 2017 10:44 pm

Originally Posted by ededed (Post 12261150)
Transfer window opens on July 1st. Not sure how City have managed to get around that?

#crooks #bribery #empty #notrophies #fraudiola #trajectory

Apparently, clubs can sign players now, but they won't be registered until July 1st