Go Back  British Expats > General > The Locker Room
Reload this Page >

Australia v England: a sporting rivalry

Australia v England: a sporting rivalry

Old Oct 15th 2004, 4:18 am

gedge has disabled reputation
Default Re: Australia v England: a sporting rivalry

Originally Posted by NJJ
Snooker is definitely, an indoor sport.. I love the game as it is a real challence of not only physical potting ability, but of mental toughness. A bit like "chess on a billiards table" is one quote I've heard it referred as before.
So could it be that England is top at indoor sports, whereas for Aus it's all outdoor?
Old Oct 15th 2004, 5:14 am
NJJ
BE Forum Addict

NJJ is a splendid one to beholdNJJ is a splendid one to beholdNJJ is a splendid one to beholdNJJ is a splendid one to beholdNJJ is a splendid one to beholdNJJ is a splendid one to beholdNJJ is a splendid one to beholdNJJ is a splendid one to beholdNJJ is a splendid one to beholdNJJ is a splendid one to beholdNJJ is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by JulesandChris
So could it be that England is top at indoor sports, whereas for Aus it's all outdoor?

hehehe a valid point!
Old Oct 15th 2004, 5:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

Darts, Snooker, Pool etc etc=Pub Games not sports. Any event that you can smoke 40 a day and have a beer gut, rules out the sporting element imo.
Old Oct 15th 2004, 10:16 am
NJJ
BE Forum Addict

NJJ is a splendid one to beholdNJJ is a splendid one to beholdNJJ is a splendid one to beholdNJJ is a splendid one to beholdNJJ is a splendid one to beholdNJJ is a splendid one to beholdNJJ is a splendid one to beholdNJJ is a splendid one to beholdNJJ is a splendid one to beholdNJJ is a splendid one to beholdNJJ is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Pimpbot
Darts, Snooker, Pool etc etc=Pub Games not sports. Any event that you can smoke 40 a day and have a beer gut, rules out the sporting element imo.

You have obviously not watched much professional snooker then. Darts & Pool may be so but I can't think of any current top 30 ranked player that smokes 40 per day (well maybe Jimmy White :->) or has a "beer gut". Snooker is a sport where players must keep mind and body in top condition to have any chance of success..
Old Oct 15th 2004, 11:46 am
BE Enthusiast

ScuntoBris will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by NJJ
And although they (australia) did finish above us in the medals for the "main" olympics earlier this year, I do believe that we finished well above them on the final medals table in the special olympics competed recently. So we could sort of call that a 1-1 draw I suppose.
The medals table during the Paralympics had GB in second place, and Aus in 4th 0r 5th, because the table was based on Gold Medals won, as per the "main olympics", however on TV the other day the presenter managed to say that Aus came second to only China, I think he was going on the total medals won, as Aus had a lot more Silver and Bronze.

Just made me laugh at how they manage to improve the finishing position by reorganising the stats to suit.
Old Oct 15th 2004, 12:24 pm
NJJ
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ScuntoBris
The medals table during the Paralympics had GB in second place, and Aus in 4th 0r 5th, because the table was based on Gold Medals won, as per the "main olympics", however on TV the other day the presenter managed to say that Aus came second to only China, I think he was going on the total medals won, as Aus had a lot more Silver and Bronze.

Just made me laugh at how they manage to improve the finishing position by reorganising the stats to suit.

Exactly. I remember when then Main Summer Olympics were on earlier this year, Channel 7 morning show always showed what they called the "real" medals table after every news break, which would show the amount of medals won per head of population of each country. This of course made Australia look good. I sent an e-mail to the Channel 7 morning show pointing out that a more realistic "real" medals table would be to show the amount of medals won per head of atheletes representing that particular country at the games (australia had the 2nd largest team after the USA). Needless to say this fact never got a mention of the show!!