Go Back  British Expats > General > The Locker Room
Reload this Page >

Australia v England: a sporting rivalry

Australia v England: a sporting rivalry

Old Aug 24th 2004, 7:27 pm
  #1  
Keeping it fairly real
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: In the sun
Posts: 32,863
walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute
Default Australia v England: a sporting rivalry

Grim reading from todays Gaurdian on the back of yesterdays cycling team pursuit.

Cricket: The games oldest international fixture dates back to 1882. Australia have won the last eight ashes series. Tests 306, England 95, Australia 125, Drawn 86

Rugby Union: Two world cup finals, Australia won at Twickenham in 1991 England famously got their revenge last year. Matches 30, England 12, Australia 17, Draws 1

Football: Englands unbeaten record against Australia ended in an embarrassing 3-1 home defeat in February 2003. Matches 6, England 3, Australia 1, 2 draws.

Tennis: Britain have a winning record in the Davis Cup but haven't tasted victory agianst the Aussies since 1978. Davis Cup matches 12, GB 4, Australia 8.

Rugby League; Great Britain dominated until the 1970's, Australia ever since- culminating in an Ashes whitewash in 2003. Matches 130. GB 58, Australia 67, draws 5.

Netball: Apart frrom one glitch 23 years ago, Australia have won every match- and normally by a very large hatful. Matches 40, England 1, Australia 39.

OUCH- got some catching up to do!!

Walla
walla is offline  
Old Aug 24th 2004, 7:36 pm
  #2  
AWOL
 
Kentish Man's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: Victor Harbor, SA
Posts: 1,256
Kentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Australia v England: a sporting rivalry

What's most surprising is that Aussies can still get the better of the Brits despite the burden of carrying a massive chip on their shoulders.

Kentish Man is offline  
Old Aug 24th 2004, 7:46 pm
  #3  
Keeping it fairly real
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: In the sun
Posts: 32,863
walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australia v England: a sporting rivalry

Originally Posted by Kentish Man
What's most surprising is that Aussies can still get the better of the Brits despite the burden of carrying a massive chip on their shoulders.

True, bout time we got some chips on our shoulders and turn this disaster around

Walla
walla is offline  
Old Aug 24th 2004, 8:03 pm
  #4  
AWOL
 
Kentish Man's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: Victor Harbor, SA
Posts: 1,256
Kentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Australia v England: a sporting rivalry

Originally Posted by walla1
True, bout time we got some chips on our shoulders and turn this disaster around

Walla
Speaking of disasters why are Newcastle chasing Rooney for over £20 million when they already have 3 top strikers but no defenders?
Kentish Man is offline  
Old Aug 24th 2004, 8:23 pm
  #5  
Keeping it fairly real
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: In the sun
Posts: 32,863
walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australia v England: a sporting rivalry

Originally Posted by Kentish Man
Speaking of disasters why are Newcastle chasing Rooney for over £20 million when they already have 3 top strikers but no defenders?
I agree, we need 2 top class defenders, don't know what Shepherd is playing at with this Rooney bid. Word up here has it that Shepherds's son is a good pal of Rooneys agent, agent wants him away from Everton, so daddy is doing son and agent a favour by getting Rooneys price into a bidding war. Bit far fetched but there you go.

However Rooney would fit in well with our "young guns" in the fact he can, if he wishes, rape and pillage at will, the little pricks. If you believe recent press speculation that is.

You can have all the Rooneys in the world but if you got no defence, which we aint, than you're stuffed, which we will be if Bobby don't hurry up and buy and get this Rooney nonsense out of the way.

Craig Bellamy was interviewed today and was bewildered that we were buying another forward and quote "it's plain to see where we need to spend money after selling Jonathon, and that's in defence, but I'm not the manager or the chairman, so who am I to say"

That's the take from the North East

Walla
walla is offline  
Old Oct 13th 2004, 5:10 pm
  #6  
PommieLeague
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Australia v England: a sporting rivalry

Originally Posted by walla1
Rugby League; Great Britain dominated until the 1970's, Australia ever since- culminating in an Ashes whitewash in 2003. Matches 130. GB 58, Australia 67, draws 5.
This could change as the Tri Nations are about to start!
 
Old Oct 13th 2004, 11:50 pm
  #7  
Keeping it fairly real
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: In the sun
Posts: 32,863
walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australia v England: a sporting rivalry

Originally Posted by Lathlain
This could change as the Tri Nations are about to start!
Hope ya right

Where bouts in Perth are ya

Walla
walla is offline  
Old Oct 14th 2004, 4:50 am
  #8  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Jul 2002
Location: Arizona
Posts: 3,113
Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australia v England: a sporting rivalry

Netball How'd we do in Tiddly winks?
Pimpbot is offline  
Old Oct 14th 2004, 2:24 pm
  #9  
Keeping it fairly real
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: In the sun
Posts: 32,863
walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australia v England: a sporting rivalry

How'd we do in Tiddly winks? [/QUOTE]

World chumps, sorry, champs

Walla
walla is offline  
Old Oct 14th 2004, 3:59 pm
  #10  
PommieLeague
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Australia v England: a sporting rivalry

Originally Posted by walla1
Hope ya right

Where bouts in Perth are ya

Walla
Joondanna, and its a right shame the rugby shop has just closed down around the corner!
 
Old Oct 15th 2004, 1:05 am
  #11  
NJJ
BE Forum Addict
 
NJJ's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: Victoria
Posts: 1,256
NJJ is a splendid one to beholdNJJ is a splendid one to beholdNJJ is a splendid one to beholdNJJ is a splendid one to beholdNJJ is a splendid one to beholdNJJ is a splendid one to beholdNJJ is a splendid one to beholdNJJ is a splendid one to beholdNJJ is a splendid one to beholdNJJ is a splendid one to beholdNJJ is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Australia v England: a sporting rivalry

Originally Posted by Pimpbot
Netball :confused: How'd we do in Tiddly winks? :rolleyes:

We (England/Britain)have a winning record in snooker tournaments.. I am doing my part by taking them on in the snooker clubs & pubs over here and have a winning record agains the aussies too :-)

Nick

PS - If anyone wants an easy pool game head to Broken Hill. The players there are terrible! I was there for ten days last year and played quite a few games in the pubs up there against some of the locals and ended up not losing once!
NJJ is offline  
Old Oct 15th 2004, 1:10 am
  #12  
Failed Expat ;-)
 
NJ_Dave's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: (Great) Britain
Posts: 7,392
NJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australia v England: a sporting rivalry

Originally Posted by NJJ
We (England/Britain)have a winning record in snooker tournaments.. I am doing my part by taking them on in the snooker clubs & pubs over here and have a winning record agains the aussies too :-)

Nick

PS - If anyone wants an easy pool game head to Broken Hill. The players there are terrible! I was there for ten days last year and played quite a few games in the pubs up there against some of the locals and ended up not losing once!
Well to be fair Australia's main professional snooker player (Quinten Hann) is on trial for sexual assault at the moment, so it's no wonder that you can't keep up in that sport. We let you win last year in the footy (soccer to you lot) friendly last year, we won the Rugby World Cup and we are going to piss on you in the Ashes.
NJ_Dave is offline  
Old Oct 15th 2004, 1:12 am
  #13  
NJJ
BE Forum Addict
 
NJJ's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: Victoria
Posts: 1,256
NJJ is a splendid one to beholdNJJ is a splendid one to beholdNJJ is a splendid one to beholdNJJ is a splendid one to beholdNJJ is a splendid one to beholdNJJ is a splendid one to beholdNJJ is a splendid one to beholdNJJ is a splendid one to beholdNJJ is a splendid one to beholdNJJ is a splendid one to beholdNJJ is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Australia v England: a sporting rivalry

Originally Posted by walla1
Grim reading from todays Gaurdian on the back of yesterdays cycling team pursuit.

Cricket: The games oldest international fixture dates back to 1882. Australia have won the last eight ashes series. Tests 306, England 95, Australia 125, Drawn 86

Rugby Union: Two world cup finals, Australia won at Twickenham in 1991 England famously got their revenge last year. Matches 30, England 12, Australia 17, Draws 1

Football: Englands unbeaten record against Australia ended in an embarrassing 3-1 home defeat in February 2003. Matches 6, England 3, Australia 1, 2 draws.

Tennis: Britain have a winning record in the Davis Cup but haven't tasted victory agianst the Aussies since 1978. Davis Cup matches 12, GB 4, Australia 8.

Rugby League; Great Britain dominated until the 1970's, Australia ever since- culminating in an Ashes whitewash in 2003. Matches 130. GB 58, Australia 67, draws 5.

Netball: Apart frrom one glitch 23 years ago, Australia have won every match- and normally by a very large hatful. Matches 40, England 1, Australia 39.

OUCH- got some catching up to do!!

Walla

And although they (australia) did finish above us in the medals for the "main" olympics earlier this year, I do believe that we finished well above them on the final medals table in the special olympics competed recently. So we could sort of call that a 1-1 draw I suppose.
NJJ is offline  
Old Oct 15th 2004, 3:59 am
  #14  
 
Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 13,233
gedge has disabled reputation
Default Re: Australia v England: a sporting rivalry

Originally Posted by NJJ
We (England/Britain)have a winning record in snooker tournaments.. I am doing my part by taking them on in the snooker clubs & pubs over here and have a winning record agains the aussies too :-)

Nick
Yeah, and we'd probably beat them at darts too, but are these really sports?
gedge is offline  
Old Oct 15th 2004, 4:08 am
  #15  
NJJ
BE Forum Addict
 
NJJ's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: Victoria
Posts: 1,256
NJJ is a splendid one to beholdNJJ is a splendid one to beholdNJJ is a splendid one to beholdNJJ is a splendid one to beholdNJJ is a splendid one to beholdNJJ is a splendid one to beholdNJJ is a splendid one to beholdNJJ is a splendid one to beholdNJJ is a splendid one to beholdNJJ is a splendid one to beholdNJJ is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Australia v England: a sporting rivalry

Originally Posted by JulesandChris
Yeah, and we'd probably beat them at darts too, but are these really sports?

Snooker is definitely, an indoor sport.. I love the game as it is a real challence of not only physical potting ability, but of mental toughness. A bit like "chess on a billiards table" is one quote I've heard it referred as before.
NJJ is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.