British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Locker Room (https://britishexpats.com/forum/locker-room-66/)
-   -   The Ashes (https://britishexpats.com/forum/locker-room-66/ashes-314975/)

walla Jul 20th 2005 11:44 am

The Ashes

well they start tomorrow, any guesses as to where they'll end up?

I'm going for a tight series with Aussies winning by a test even though it kills me to say it.

Hope I'm wrong.

fireeater Jul 20th 2005 11:47 am

Re: The Ashes

Originally Posted by walla1
well they start tomorrow, any guesses as to where they'll end up?

I'm going for a tight series with Aussies winning by a test even though it kills me to say it.

Hope I'm wrong.

Doubt you are...they seem to peak for the right occasion :(

walla Jul 20th 2005 11:50 am

Originally Posted by fireeater
Doubt you are...they seem to peak for the right occasion :(

the worst thing that could have happened to us did, Bangladesh beat the Aussies in that famous one dayer, since then they've just got stronger and stronger, a strong case of national pride.

fireeater Jul 20th 2005 11:53 am

the worst thing that could have happened to us did, Bangladesh beat the Aussies in that famous one dayer, since then they've just got stronger and stronger, a strong case of national pride.

yep, even Gillespie performed in the last one-dayer. Our best hope is friction in the camp from Warne shagging other players wives and girlfriends :D

walla Jul 20th 2005 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by fireeater
yep, even Gillespie performed in the last one-dayer. Our best hope is friction in the camp from Warne shagging other players wives and girlfriends :D

or the openers putting bat to ball and stop relying on the middle order :p

hey, did you see the final of the 20/20?

I caught the highlights and it was a draw, so they had a penalty style shoot out where the bowlers each took it in turn to bowl at the unguarded wicket.

I think it was Surrey against I don't know.

Anyway Surrey won and the bloke that knocked the wickets over for the win pulled his top off and ran round the ground swinging it in the air, his team mates in pursuit.

very bizarre and just not cricket :D

fraser Jul 20th 2005 5:38 pm

The Aussies have been spouting their usual crap in the papers over here, they're going to win 5-0 we're scared of them.

I think it'll be close, if I was having bet it would have to go on them.

But let me tell you England aren't amused by their comments and maybe just maybe they'll inspire them to something special.

wengerboy Jul 20th 2005 9:15 pm

we will lose at lord`s inside 4 days.
and the series will be lost 3-1 sorry to be so negative but we`re just not good enough yet :(

Williem Jul 20th 2005 11:10 pm

or the openers putting bat to ball and stop relying on the middle order :p

hey, did you see the final of the 20/20?

I caught the highlights and it was a draw, so they had a penalty style shoot out where the bowlers each took it in turn to bowl at the unguarded wicket.

I think it was Surrey against I don't know.

Anyway Surrey won and the bloke that knocked the wickets over for the win pulled his top off and ran round the ground swinging it in the air, his team mates in pursuit.

very bizarre and just not cricket :D

Very bizare indeed.
It was against Warwickshire (my team) unfortunately, and was only the quarter final, so god knows what he'll do if it did happened in the final.

As for the ashes, this team is the best we've had since the mid 80's, a good blend of steady batsmen and exciting big hitters mixed with a good attack of pace bowling from Hoggard and Harmisson.
We still lack a good spinner, with Giles being ok, but nothing special.
Theres more emphasis on saving runs in the field, and we've even learnt how to sledge!
So all in all, I expect a close series, and really can't see anything less than the Aussies retaining the ashes, but only after drawing the series 2-2.

Will.

tony126 Jul 21st 2005 2:02 am

The series is not over till its' won. So I am against the opinions spelt out here. I think England will pull it off.

Manc Jul 21st 2005 12:50 pm

Australia 145-6

:)

walla Jul 21st 2005 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by Manc
Australia 145-6

:)

watching it now Matt, Harmison is physically abusing their heads with the ball.

Manc Jul 21st 2005 1:11 pm

watching it now Matt, Harmison is physically abusing their heads with the ball.

I still think we're in for a bit of a twatting overall...........
still one lives in hope.

fraser Jul 21st 2005 1:20 pm

178-8

Manc Jul 21st 2005 1:21 pm

178-8
jesus..........

come on lads.

fraser Jul 21st 2005 1:30 pm

178-9 :D

Manc Jul 21st 2005 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by fraser
178-9 :d

sweet

fraser Jul 21st 2005 1:39 pm

All out 190

Harmison 5-43

yurig2 Jul 21st 2005 1:40 pm

England has made a good start so far in the Ashes. Is there any TV coverage of it in the USA?

walla Jul 21st 2005 1:47 pm

All out 190

Harmison 5-43

and 3 cracked heads :D

beware the wounded animal boys...

Manc Jul 21st 2005 2:37 pm

arse

Rick C Jul 21st 2005 2:39 pm

and 3 cracked heads :D

beware the wounded animal boys...

England 10 - 0 at tea nice steady start from our boys.
Serves Ponting and Mcgrath right for bragging in the papers this morning.
Ponting doesn't like the sound of chin music.

Come on the BARMY ARMY :D

Manc Jul 21st 2005 2:43 pm

11-2

Rick C Jul 21st 2005 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by Rick C
England 10 - 0 at tea nice steady start from our boys.
Serves Ponting and Mcgrath right for bragging in the papers this morning.
Ponting doesn't like the sound of chin music.

Come on the BARMY ARMY :D

Spoke to soon good old England lose 2 wickets in the first over after tea.
A sorry 11-2

fraser Jul 21st 2005 4:14 pm

Have you seen this traitor

wengerboy Jul 21st 2005 7:39 pm

Have you seen this traitor

no doubt he supports chelsea now like all the other glory hunters ;)

fraser Jul 21st 2005 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by wengerboy
no doubt he supports chelsea now like all the other glory hunters ;)

It's shocking mate there were two of them on there and the thing is they didn't pop up until they started taking wickets.

wengerboy Jul 21st 2005 8:10 pm

It's shocking mate there were two of them on there and the thing is they didn't pop up until they started taking wickets.

sing when ur winning ;)

Flying Banana Jul 21st 2005 10:57 pm

a/ I don't support Chelsea or any other team for that matter, I have always detested soccer and don't see any reason to change that.

b/ I only 'popped up' when they started taking wickets as I'd been on late shift and got home at 1AM which was right about the time McGrath was giving his display of class bowling.

:mad: :mad:

fireeater Jul 21st 2005 11:27 pm

All out 190

Harmison 5-43

As a West Ham supporter, you should know better than to get excited at half time :(

Pollyana Jul 22nd 2005 4:41 am

Originally Posted by Flying Banana
a/ I don't support Chelsea or any other team for that matter, I have always detested soccer and don't see any reason to change that.

b/ I only 'popped up' when they started taking wickets as I'd been on late shift and got home at 1AM which was right about the time McGrath was giving his display of class bowling.

:mad: :mad:

I can only assume that I am the other "traitor" referred to.... I've posted my support for the Aussie cricket team on several previous occasions, and never made any secret of it. As for only popping up when the wickets started falling - I was offline most of the evening, only getting online at the point the Aussies started bowling. Prior to that I was listening on the radio, but couldn't work out how to start a thread on ABC Brisbane........... :p
I thought it was a thoroughly good night's cricket actually, whoever you supported, there was plenty of action.

P S Who are Chelsea?

fraser Jul 22nd 2005 5:37 am

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I can only assume that I am the other "traitor" referred to.... I've posted my support for the Aussie cricket team on several previous occasions, and never made any secret of it. As for only popping up when the wickets started falling - I was offline most of the evening, only getting online at the point the Aussies started bowling. Prior to that I was listening on the radio, but couldn't work out how to start a thread on ABC Brisbane........... :p
I thought it was a thoroughly good night's cricket actually, whoever you supported, there was plenty of action.

P S Who are Chelsea?

As charged, come on now guys you can't expect to come on a forum for Brits being british slag off the national team say you couldn't care less if the country sinks and not expect to take stick, traitor is what you are :p

wengerboy Jul 22nd 2005 7:12 am

P S Who are Chelsea?

chelsea are the new dominant force in soccer over here.
hence their fanbase has increased 300 percent :rolleyes:

fraser Jul 22nd 2005 7:19 am

chelsea are the new dominant force in soccer over here.
hence their fanbase has increased 300 percent :rolleyes:

They make me laugh mate they come on to a British forum, they're British they slag of our cricket team and then post angry faces when people pull their leg about it :rolleyes:

wengerboy Jul 22nd 2005 7:32 am

getting back to topic!! i suggested to my oz friend working here that while we are capable of bowling australia out twice inside 5 days i doubt very much that we`ll be able to score enough runs :o mcgraths` display was typical mcgrath line and length !you would have thought the left hander`s would know what to do by now :mad:

fraser Jul 22nd 2005 7:35 am

getting back to topic!! i suggested to my oz friend working here that while we are capable of bowling australia out twice inside 5 days i doubt very much that we`ll be able to score enough runs :o mcgraths` display was typical mcgrath line and length !you would have thought the left hander`s would know what to do by now :mad:

We've dug ourselves out of a few holes in the last year with the tail wagging well let's see if we can do it again against these if we can we really have arrived, although I doubt it :rolleyes:

wengerboy Jul 22nd 2005 7:37 am

We've dug ourselves out of a few holes in the last year with the tail wagging well let's see if we can do it again against these if we can we really have arrived, although I doubt it :rolleyes:

took today off to watch ;) hope our saffa(i mean pom)can get us up to 150 160 :D

fraser Jul 22nd 2005 7:40 am

took today off to watch ;) hope our saffa(i mean pom)can get us up to 150 160 :D

Hoggard can dig in and has done in the past, I believe that'll be the key.

Pollyana Jul 22nd 2005 9:30 am

They make me laugh mate they come on to a British forum, they're British they slag of our cricket team and then post angry faces when people pull their leg about it :rolleyes:

erm, get your facts right. I have not slagged off the team, in fact I said it was a good nights cricket all round. I didn't post any angry faces, I thought this was just friendly banter, similar to the exchange I was having by email with my mates in the UK.
Congrats Fraser, you probably just picked the wrong day to do that post, but you may well have driven me off the forum. I was looking forward to the same patter tonight, and all in fun, but obviously I have said something slagging off the English.
I'm quitting anyway, but if you could point out the offending phrase I'll gladly apologise before I go.

fraser Jul 22nd 2005 9:34 am

erm, get your facts right. I have not slagged off the team, in fact I said it was a good nights cricket all round. I didn't post any angry faces, I thought this was just friendly banter, similar to the exchange I was having by email with my mates in the UK.
Congrats Fraser, you probably just picked the wrong day to do that post, but you may well have driven me off the forum. I was looking forward to the same patter tonight, and all in fun, but obviously I have said something slagging off the English.
I'm quitting anyway, but if you could point out the offending phrase I'll gladly apologise before I go.

I wasn't talking about you Polly but about FB's comment about he couldn't care less if England sunk into the north sea, which I found a bit insensitive as we were being bombed again in London.

Anyway as strange as I found it, my traitor comments were only banter and I hope you wont feel the need to desist from future treacherous comments on my account :p

Pollyana Jul 22nd 2005 9:40 am

Maybe you should've said 'he' not 'they' in that case.

I grew up aware of a constant threat from the IRA and other such organisations. I am currnetly watching Sky News, and my heart froze last night when listening to the cricket and hearing the ABC break in with news of the latest explosions. Whoever I support, I have British roots, and I could never abandon them (apart from on the cricket pitch).