British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Locker Room (https://britishexpats.com/forum/locker-room-66/)
-   -   The Ashes (https://britishexpats.com/forum/locker-room-66/ashes-314975/)

walla Jul 20th 2005 11:44 am

The Ashes

well they start tomorrow, any guesses as to where they'll end up?

I'm going for a tight series with Aussies winning by a test even though it kills me to say it.

Hope I'm wrong.

fireeater Jul 20th 2005 11:47 am

Re: The Ashes

Originally Posted by walla1
well they start tomorrow, any guesses as to where they'll end up?

I'm going for a tight series with Aussies winning by a test even though it kills me to say it.

Hope I'm wrong.

Doubt you are...they seem to peak for the right occasion :(

walla Jul 20th 2005 11:50 am

Originally Posted by fireeater
Doubt you are...they seem to peak for the right occasion :(

the worst thing that could have happened to us did, Bangladesh beat the Aussies in that famous one dayer, since then they've just got stronger and stronger, a strong case of national pride.

fireeater Jul 20th 2005 11:53 am

the worst thing that could have happened to us did, Bangladesh beat the Aussies in that famous one dayer, since then they've just got stronger and stronger, a strong case of national pride.

yep, even Gillespie performed in the last one-dayer. Our best hope is friction in the camp from Warne shagging other players wives and girlfriends :D

walla Jul 20th 2005 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by fireeater
yep, even Gillespie performed in the last one-dayer. Our best hope is friction in the camp from Warne shagging other players wives and girlfriends :D

or the openers putting bat to ball and stop relying on the middle order :p

hey, did you see the final of the 20/20?

I caught the highlights and it was a draw, so they had a penalty style shoot out where the bowlers each took it in turn to bowl at the unguarded wicket.

I think it was Surrey against I don't know.

Anyway Surrey won and the bloke that knocked the wickets over for the win pulled his top off and ran round the ground swinging it in the air, his team mates in pursuit.

very bizarre and just not cricket :D

fraser Jul 20th 2005 5:38 pm

The Aussies have been spouting their usual crap in the papers over here, they're going to win 5-0 we're scared of them.

I think it'll be close, if I was having bet it would have to go on them.

But let me tell you England aren't amused by their comments and maybe just maybe they'll inspire them to something special.

wengerboy Jul 20th 2005 9:15 pm

we will lose at lord`s inside 4 days.
and the series will be lost 3-1 sorry to be so negative but we`re just not good enough yet :(

Williem Jul 20th 2005 11:10 pm

or the openers putting bat to ball and stop relying on the middle order :p

hey, did you see the final of the 20/20?

I caught the highlights and it was a draw, so they had a penalty style shoot out where the bowlers each took it in turn to bowl at the unguarded wicket.

I think it was Surrey against I don't know.

Anyway Surrey won and the bloke that knocked the wickets over for the win pulled his top off and ran round the ground swinging it in the air, his team mates in pursuit.

very bizarre and just not cricket :D

Very bizare indeed.
It was against Warwickshire (my team) unfortunately, and was only the quarter final, so god knows what he'll do if it did happened in the final.

As for the ashes, this team is the best we've had since the mid 80's, a good blend of steady batsmen and exciting big hitters mixed with a good attack of pace bowling from Hoggard and Harmisson.
We still lack a good spinner, with Giles being ok, but nothing special.
Theres more emphasis on saving runs in the field, and we've even learnt how to sledge!
So all in all, I expect a close series, and really can't see anything less than the Aussies retaining the ashes, but only after drawing the series 2-2.

Will.

tony126 Jul 21st 2005 2:02 am

The series is not over till its' won. So I am against the opinions spelt out here. I think England will pull it off.

Manc Jul 21st 2005 12:50 pm

Australia 145-6

:)

walla Jul 21st 2005 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by Manc
Australia 145-6

:)

watching it now Matt, Harmison is physically abusing their heads with the ball.

Manc Jul 21st 2005 1:11 pm

watching it now Matt, Harmison is physically abusing their heads with the ball.

I still think we're in for a bit of a twatting overall...........
still one lives in hope.

fraser Jul 21st 2005 1:20 pm

178-8

Manc Jul 21st 2005 1:21 pm

178-8
jesus..........

come on lads.

fraser Jul 21st 2005 1:30 pm

178-9 :D