Go Back  British Expats > General > The Locker Room
Reload this Page >

Arsenal v Celtic

Arsenal v Celtic

Old Aug 27th 2009, 10:58 am
BE Enthusiast

hopeful_Mark has a reputation beyond reputehopeful_Mark has a reputation beyond reputehopeful_Mark has a reputation beyond reputehopeful_Mark has a reputation beyond reputehopeful_Mark has a reputation beyond reputehopeful_Mark has a reputation beyond reputehopeful_Mark has a reputation beyond reputehopeful_Mark has a reputation beyond reputehopeful_Mark has a reputation beyond reputehopeful_Mark has a reputation beyond reputehopeful_Mark has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Arsenal v Celtic

Originally Posted by fraser View Post
Aren't most away fans awesome compared to the home crowd at the library.
I think its the same at all grounds that away supporters are generally louder. The only other fans I would call awesome would probably be Plymouth at last years FA cup game, most English fans would have left the ground at 3-0 down. The Celtic fans were singing for 90 minutes and were even throwing their scarfs to the home supporters at the end of the game. And they were rewarded with the best goal of the two legs.
Old Aug 27th 2009, 1:58 pm
Another wandering Scot

Walkingman is just really niceWalkingman is just really niceWalkingman is just really niceWalkingman is just really niceWalkingman is just really niceWalkingman is just really niceWalkingman is just really niceWalkingman is just really niceWalkingman is just really nice

Originally Posted by hopeful_Mark View Post
A definite dive from Eduardo
Y'know, I've watched the replay of that again and again and I think Boric (sp?) did catch Eduardo's right foot with his upper thigh - just a little but enough to 'tap' the right foot behind the left ankle.

Still Eufa will review it and maybe they'll see that and maybe they won't. My respect for the bhoys comes from the lack of outrage, the lack of "We wis robbed! If it hadnae been fur that penalty we'd huv won!" rubbish I often hear in this circumstance.

Not hearing it from Celtic though. Tony Mowbray said he hadn't seen the tape (at press time) and Arsenal outclassed them over the two legs. I'm also not seeing a lot of the above-type quotes from the players.

Pretty classy performance from Celtic, their fans and their management.
Old Aug 28th 2009, 4:45 am
BE Forum Addict

framac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fraser View Post
Yeah because arsenal have spent loads
Fabregas wages would cover half the Celtic teams wages therefore allowing Arsenal and all English premier teams the upper hand in quality of signings.

The income generated from TV for the EPL is vastly superior to what Scottish teams get which has been decimated again by the collapse of Setanta.
Old Aug 28th 2009, 5:14 am
Jigsaw

Location: Abertawe, Cymru, Y Deyrnas Unedig, Undeb Ewropeaidd
DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by framac67 View Post
Fabregas wages would cover half the Celtic teams wages therefore allowing Arsenal and all English premier teams the upper hand in quality of signings.

The income generated from TV for the EPL is vastly superior to what Scottish teams get which has been decimated again by the collapse of Setanta.
The TV revenue is only one of many factors. Amongst others, there are also the following;

Only two teams likely to win the league each season.
A lack of global marketing. How many supporters of any nationality outside of the homeland actually follow an SPL team other than the Old Firm?

Sports TV channels are mostly interested in viewer numbers and revenue. The more people watching a particular match, the more advertisers are willing to pay for their commercials during half-time. There are many more opportunities for higher viewer numbers for matches in the EPL than there are for the SPL, and how many times can one watch Rangers v Celtic in a season, especially if/when they meet in Cup games as well?

The more revenue the Sports TV channels make from subscriptions and advertising, the more they are willing to pay clubs for TV rights. If the Old Firm were to eventually join the EPL then there'd be a wider base of revenue for the two clubs.

Last edited by DaveLovesDee; Aug 28th 2009 at 5:16 am.
Old Aug 28th 2009, 5:56 am
BE Forum Addict

framac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CaptainHook View Post
The TV revenue is only one of many factors. Amongst others, there are also the following;

Only two teams likely to win the league each season.
A lack of global marketing. How many supporters of any nationality outside of the homeland actually follow an SPL team other than the Old Firm?

Sports TV channels are mostly interested in viewer numbers and revenue. The more people watching a particular match, the more advertisers are willing to pay for their commercials during half-time. There are many more opportunities for higher viewer numbers for matches in the EPL than there are for the SPL, and how many times can one watch Rangers v Celtic in a season, especially if/when they meet in Cup games as well?

The more revenue the Sports TV channels make from subscriptions and advertising, the more they are willing to pay clubs for TV rights. If the Old Firm were to eventually join the EPL then there'd be a wider base of revenue for the two clubs.
You could say the same for EPL with 4 teams. What you say is nothing new. We know the old firm are far too big for Scottish football and have been subsidising it for years. We also know simple arithmetic on the numbers of viewers and advertisers but the reality is different for the old firm.
Scotland has 5.5mill people in comparison to England with 60 mill so outwith the big two, who wants to watch the rest coz I certainly dont. There are many arguments for and against the old firm joining the EPL but until there is a level playing field financially then the old firm will be playing catch up.
Old Aug 28th 2009, 8:24 am
BE Enthusiast

hopeful_Mark has a reputation beyond reputehopeful_Mark has a reputation beyond reputehopeful_Mark has a reputation beyond reputehopeful_Mark has a reputation beyond reputehopeful_Mark has a reputation beyond reputehopeful_Mark has a reputation beyond reputehopeful_Mark has a reputation beyond reputehopeful_Mark has a reputation beyond reputehopeful_Mark has a reputation beyond reputehopeful_Mark has a reputation beyond reputehopeful_Mark has a reputation beyond repute

You could say the same for EPL with 4 teams. What you say is nothing new. We know the old firm are far too big for Scottish football and have been subsidising it for years. We also know simple arithmetic on the numbers of viewers and advertisers but the reality is different for the old firm.
Scotland has 5.5mill people in comparison to England with 60 mill so outwith the big two, who wants to watch the rest coz I certainly dont. There are many arguments for and against the old firm joining the EPL but until there is a level playing field financially then the old firm will be playing catch up.
A level playing field is not even there for the current EPL, I would have no problem in seeing Celtic and Rangers in the premier league my concern would be who leaves to accommodate them. I think Wenger is right he has predicted a Euro league within 10 years, I don't see it being formed without the 2 big Scottish clubs.
Old Aug 28th 2009, 4:17 pm
Jigsaw

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

I think Wenger is right he has predicted a Euro league within 10 years, I don't see it being formed without the 2 big Scottish clubs.
I disagree. I think any proposed European league would very likely not include the Old Firm. I definitely wouldn't want Arsenal to be a part of it, as how many regular fans would be able to make more than 1 or 2 away trips a season.

Playing other top European teams every week would also devalue the Champion's League, and turn the EPL into nothing more than an SPL clone. The SPL would also become meaningless if the Old Firm were to leave.

Last edited by DaveLovesDee; Aug 28th 2009 at 4:20 pm.
Old Sep 1st 2009, 10:43 pm
Jigsaw

A couple of dodgy referee decisions that went celtic's way. Now will the SFVA stop whining.
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 12:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Eduardo 2 match ban from uefa today. Think this will open the flood gates.
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 2:07 am
Jigsaw

I'll bet no English player gets the same for a similar incident. People used to think Arsenal had a 'them against us' mentality, but would the same thing have happened had it been Cristiano Ronaldo, Rooney, Gerrard, Lampard or Terry?

I doubt it. It seems like another part of UEFA and FIFA's agenda to limit the number of foreigners in the Premier League.
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 4:15 am
BE Forum Addict

petensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think so unless so much fuss is made by the media that uefa have to do something about it each time something happens.I have no problems with Eduardo's ban but you can't pick and choose who you ban or maybe you can!Sue.
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 4:52 am
Jigsaw

Originally Posted by petensue View Post
I don't think so unless so much fuss is made by the media that uefa have to do something about it each time something happens.I have no problems with Eduardo's ban but you can't pick and choose who you ban or maybe you can!Sue.
I won't hold my breath for anyone else getting banned. Why? Because the Scottish officials (SFA and the people who administer UEFA) are a disgrace. Someone pointed out the coincidence of players getting banned only against Scotland or Scottish teams. What a joke.

By the way, what does this do to improve the game? If UEFA REALLY wanted to weed out diving they would've taken action a long long long long long long long long long time ago when dives cost countries European and world championships, when great teams were knocked out of big competitions due to cheating.
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 5:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by CaptainHook View Post
I won't hold my breath for anyone else getting banned. Why? Because the Scottish officials (SFA and the people who administer UEFA) are a disgrace. Someone pointed out the coincidence of players getting banned only against Scotland or Scottish teams. What a joke.

By the way, what does this do to improve the game? If UEFA REALLY wanted to weed out diving they would've taken action a long long long long long long long long long time ago when dives cost countries European and world championships, when great teams were knocked out of big competitions due to cheating.
The smell of paranoia would knock you down.

HE DIVED. WATCH MY LIPS. HE FU**ING DIVED. Lucky he only got 2 games the cheating little bas**d so ffs shut up and accept it.
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 6:28 am
Jigsaw

The smell of paranoia would knock you down.

HE DIVED. WATCH MY LIPS. HE FU**ING DIVED. Lucky he only got 2 games the cheating little bas**d so ffs shut up and accept it.
Accept what? That Celtic were outplyed over two legs of a CL Qualifier. Accepted.

If Eduardo dived, it was unacceptable. It's only a yellow card offence though, not a 2-match ban or a hanging offence.

I guess no Celtic player has ever dived then, though a search of YouTube brings up a number of results, including McGeady diving against Hibs. Pot, kettle, black.

Last edited by DaveLovesDee; Sep 2nd 2009 at 6:33 am.
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 8:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by petensue View Post
I have a huge problem with this ban, if Eduardo was cautioned during the match he would have got a yellow card, not a straight red, therefore no ban. UEFA have always stated they will not use video evidence to look at specific incidents, the referee still claims the penalty decision was right.
By opening up the flood gates I mean every manager of every team will drag every incident to UEFA.
I remember Fletcher being wrongly sent off at the Emirates last year in the semi final, he missed the final because of this, video evidence would have shown a bad referee decision.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.