Go Back  British Expats > General > The Locker Room
Reload this Page >

The 2022/2023 Football Thread

The 2022/2023 Football Thread

Old Aug 5th 2022, 9:10 am
  #121  
Dunroaming back in UK
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: Expat in Yorkshire now
Posts: 10,853
Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The 2022/2023 Football Thread

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
I was surprised City were interested.
I don't share your surprise as Citeh has no top class left back and he did a decent job for Brighton last year; however, he isn't worth 50+ million so Chelski welcome to him at that price.

Fortunately Cancelo is sufficiently versatile to play that side with Walker coming in on the right; moreover, Ake and Laporte have played left back in the past (essentially 3 at the back with Cancelo moving into mf when Citeh has the ball against teams committed to 90 mins of defending) - 19 yo Josh Wilson-Esbrand looks ready to step up from the academy so may get a run out too.

The lack of a left back is my major worry bead this year but then this time last year I was worrying that Citeh would struggle to score goals with the false 9 system.. however, they scored 150 goals whilst conceding only 50 in 58 games so may be Pep knew what he was doing?

Last edited by Garbatellamike; Aug 5th 2022 at 9:13 am.
Garbatellamike is offline  
Old Aug 5th 2022, 10:40 pm
  #122  
You aint seen me, right?
 
SpoogleDrummer's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: US of A, TN
Posts: 3,459
SpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The 2022/2023 Football Thread

How can Chelsea still afford to splash the cash and pay stupid wages? They're back to having a normal owner yet they're still paying over the odds and insane salaries.
SpoogleDrummer is offline  
Old Aug 6th 2022, 3:03 pm
  #123  
Dunroaming back in UK
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: Expat in Yorkshire now
Posts: 10,853
Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The 2022/2023 Football Thread

Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer View Post
How can Chelsea still afford to splash the cash and pay stupid wages? They're back to having a normal owner yet they're still paying over the odds and insane salaries.
Loading the club with debt like other American owners do one suspects
Garbatellamike is offline  
Old Aug 6th 2022, 4:28 pm
  #124  
Grace and gratitude
 
pommybird's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Somewhere else
Posts: 6,391
pommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The 2022/2023 Football Thread

Have screenshot the PL table for posterity!
pommybird is offline  
Old Aug 6th 2022, 7:51 pm
  #125  
He/him
 
kimilseung's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: WA
Posts: 17,604
kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The 2022/2023 Football Thread

Originally Posted by pommybird View Post
Have screenshot the PL table for posterity!
And snatching top spot from Arsenal to boot!
kimilseung is online now  
Old Aug 7th 2022, 1:59 pm
  #126  
The worse half of Weeze
 
Mr Weeze's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: Back in TX
Posts: 3,117
Mr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The 2022/2023 Football Thread

Oh it’s lovely to have football back when I’m not just expecting shite on the pitch. It might not last long, but I’m going to enjoy it
Mr Weeze is offline  
Old Aug 7th 2022, 4:07 pm
  #127  
Dunroaming back in UK
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: Expat in Yorkshire now
Posts: 10,853
Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The 2022/2023 Football Thread

Originally Posted by Mr Weeze View Post
Oh it’s lovely to have football back when I’m not just expecting shite on the pitch. It might not last long, but I’m going to enjoy it
yeah exactly right bud - best of luck

Oh and Haaland, who will apparantly disrupt Citeh and is a poor signing, is off the mark
Garbatellamike is offline  
Old Aug 7th 2022, 5:15 pm
  #128  
Often not so civil...
 
civilservant's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: The Boonies, GA
Posts: 9,472
civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The 2022/2023 Football Thread

Well that a very poor performance from Man Utd today. Not sure why I was expected anything different when nothing has actually change. ETH has a massive job just to steady the ship.

If CR7 leaves (and I think he should) who will score the goals?
civilservant is offline  
Old Aug 7th 2022, 5:28 pm
  #129  
Dunroaming back in UK
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: Expat in Yorkshire now
Posts: 10,853
Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The 2022/2023 Football Thread

Originally Posted by civilservant View Post
Well that a very poor performance from Man Utd today. Not sure why I was expected anything different when nothing has actually change. ETH has a massive job just to steady the ship.

If CR7 leaves (and I think he should) who will score the goals?
Agree that - to me it looked like they were trying the false 9 thingy today and it didn't really work that well - I can't see Rashford or Sancho getting you the goals that Ronaldo assuredly will....

On another note - how good was Cancelo today? Fantastic performance from him this PM....
Garbatellamike is offline  
Old Aug 7th 2022, 6:34 pm
  #130  
Oscar nominated
 
BristolUK's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Moncton, NB, CANADA
Posts: 41,928
BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The 2022/2023 Football Thread

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike View Post

Oh and Haaland, who will apparantly disrupt Citeh and is a poor signing, is off the mark
I'm sure I'm not the only one who noticed the lack of goal scoring opportunities for his team mates though. I don't think anyone said he was a poor signing so I corrected that bit.

400+ passes to 90 in the first 60 minutes, near 80% possession and only the penalty to show for it against a tame West Ham side.

How many games do you reckon people will be saying "it's too early to tell" whether his goals will be worth the loss of chances for others?

Just about every ball into the box was aimed for him. That's not like City at all but maybe it will lead to a return of old fashioned centre forward play


BristolUK is offline  
Old Aug 7th 2022, 7:22 pm
  #131  
Dunroaming back in UK
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: Expat in Yorkshire now
Posts: 10,853
Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The 2022/2023 Football Thread

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
I'm sure I'm not the only one who noticed the lack of goal scoring opportunities for his team mates though. I don't think anyone said he was a poor signing so I corrected that bit.

400+ passes to 90 in the first 60 minutes, near 80% possession and only the penalty to show for it against a tame West Ham side.

How many games do you reckon people will be saying "it's too early to tell" whether his goals will be worth the loss of chances for others?

Just about every ball into the box was aimed for him. That's not like City at all but maybe it will lead to a return of old fashioned centre forward play
we know we can rely on you to see the downside even in a dominant Citeh performance...... Did you actually watch the game? every ball aimed for him

For me, and I suspect many others, it was a good result away from home but I think we all saw there was still some rust after a short preseason so more to come methinks. For sure KdB was a bit off his best but Cancelo was world class; moreover, Gundo and Rodri ran the game...

I have to confess I loved your "too early to tell" comment after your comments on the actual transfer and post the Charity Shield .... i would say, as you, now, rightly allude to, it's a marathon not a sprint and at the risk of being brutally frank... who gives a flying [email protected]@@ about who scores the goals if your team win???

What was also interesting was how good Grealish looked compared with last year for me and nice to see young Palmer getting a few minutes, watch this lad he has serious potential...



Garbatellamike is offline  
Old Aug 8th 2022, 12:32 am
  #132  
Oscar nominated
 
BristolUK's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Moncton, NB, CANADA
Posts: 41,928
BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The 2022/2023 Football Thread

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike View Post
Did you actually watch the game?
Yes, until the last 10 to 15 minutes when I fell asleep. See, normally City will attack, play their clever angles and create a load of good chances. Not today though. Hence my nodding off.
Originally Posted by Garbatellamike
every ball aimed for him
What I said was
Just about every ball into the box was aimed for him
Originally Posted by Garbatellamike
.. who gives a flying [email protected]@@ about who scores the goals if your team win???
Well nobody of course. But when a signing has been made specifically because of poor finishing from the others and it actually reduces the number of good chances created, there is a possibility that fewer goals may be scored in total. The dominance that City had today would usually see them score more than 2. We'll see at the end of the season whether he adds to the total or not.
BristolUK is offline  
Old Aug 8th 2022, 12:37 pm
  #133  
Dunroaming back in UK
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: Expat in Yorkshire now
Posts: 10,853
Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The 2022/2023 Football Thread

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
Yes, until the last 10 to 15 minutes when I fell asleep. See, normally City will attack, play their clever angles and create a load of good chances. Not today though. Hence my nodding off.

What I said was



Well nobody of course. But when a signing has been made specifically because of poor finishing from the others and it actually reduces the number of good chances created, there is a possibility that fewer goals may be scored in total. The dominance that City had today would usually see them score more than 2. We'll see at the end of the season whether he adds to the total or not.
Thanks for that.

I think you were right about the last 10-12 minutes being boring. West Ham had settled for a 2-0 and Citeh had settled for a 2-0 win so not much happened other than 5 subs for Citeh and 4 subs for the Hammers so disjointed perhaps sums up the last 6th of the game, it's a shame you nodded off as you missed Zouma blocking an Alvarez pile driver with his face and a very insightful interview with Moyes on the tactical preparation for the game and how Pep had outfoxed him!

If I understand you correctly you think that Citeh will play some different passes when playing with a centre forward focus than they did last season with the false 9 in play? For what it's worth I agree and would say it was ever thus.

I think you feel Citeh will score fewer than 150 goals this season (I agree it is unlikely they will score 150 goals twice in a row) but you further believe the signing of Haaland will be a significant part of the reduction?

So, I agree they will play different passes some of the time and will, in all liklihood, score less goals but I have to confess that I don't share your view that this will upset other players and I suspect you may, just may, be indulging in a bit of wishful thinking here...

As I said earlier and you repeated above - we will see at the end of the season but Citeh has started well winning a tricky away game quite comfortably and Haaland impressed in a number of ways so those who wrote him off after the Charity Shield may have been a bit previous....
Garbatellamike is offline  
Old Aug 8th 2022, 3:08 pm
  #134  
Oscar nominated
 
BristolUK's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Moncton, NB, CANADA
Posts: 41,928
BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The 2022/2023 Football Thread

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike View Post
So, I agree they will play different passes some of the time and will, in all liklihood, score less goals but I have to confess that I don't share your view that this will upset other players and I suspect you may, just may, be indulging in a bit of wishful thinking here.....
Oh yes, there's certainly some wishful thinking.
But I'm not sure where upsetting or putting off the other players comes into it. I doubt they'll care.

But you do recognise that fewer total goals are likely. If that means that the 5-0 results become 4-0 then it's unlikely to make any difference other than on GD. But during a match a 2-0 lead might become a 1-0 lead and give an opponent some encouragement to nick a point (and deprive City of 2) or might be that the scrappy 1-0 win stays at 0-0.

Not comparing the two players, it's the situation, but remember when Peter Crouch played for England? I never rated him but it was difficult to argue with his goalscoring record for England. At his premier league clubs he generally got a goal every 3-5 matches but for England he netted better than a goaevery two games..

Anyway, the team stopped playing the good football that had seem them impress from 96 to a bit beyond 2004 and suddenly there was an over reliance on getting it to the big man.

Obviously there's much more to Haaland than Crouch but even a pass intended for one of his runs involves more risks (interceptions, ball skimming off surface, goalkeeper moving his starting position for more forward, defender dropping a bit deeper and so on) than we normally see from City.

It's an additional thing for opposing defenders to worry about but I think overall those defenders will spend less time ball chasing, getting back in numbers, concentrating, wondering if it's better to make a tackle or try to force a player wide....essentially all those things that City do that have been wearing them down...and I think it may allow opponents to "still be in the game" for longer periods than they've been used to.

And if they are less knackered, they may be in a better position to nick something from a game they should have no chance in.
BristolUK is offline  
Old Aug 8th 2022, 3:57 pm
  #135  
Dunroaming back in UK
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: Expat in Yorkshire now
Posts: 10,853
Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The 2022/2023 Football Thread

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
Oh yes, there's certainly some wishful thinking.
But I'm not sure where upsetting or putting off the other players comes into it. I doubt they'll care.

But you do recognise that fewer total goals are likely. If that means that the 5-0 results become 4-0 then it's unlikely to make any difference other than on GD. But during a match a 2-0 lead might become a 1-0 lead and give an opponent some encouragement to nick a point (and deprive City of 2) or might be that the scrappy 1-0 win stays at 0-0.

Not comparing the two players, it's the situation, but remember when Peter Crouch played for England? I never rated him but it was difficult to argue with his goalscoring record for England. At his premier league clubs he generally got a goal every 3-5 matches but for England he netted better than a goaevery two games..

Anyway, the team stopped playing the good football that had seem them impress from 96 to a bit beyond 2004 and suddenly there was an over reliance on getting it to the big man.

Obviously there's much more to Haaland than Crouch but even a pass intended for one of his runs involves more risks (interceptions, ball skimming off surface, goalkeeper moving his starting position for more forward, defender dropping a bit deeper and so on) than we normally see from City.

It's an additional thing for opposing defenders to worry about but I think overall those defenders will spend less time ball chasing, getting back in numbers, concentrating, wondering if it's better to make a tackle or try to force a player wide....essentially all those things that City do that have been wearing them down...and I think it may allow opponents to "still be in the game" for longer periods than they've been used to.

And if they are less knackered, they may be in a better position to nick something from a game they should have no chance in.
As I said fewer goals is highly likely given the heights reached last year whether that is down to Haaland in part or in toto will be impossible to quantify methinks.

Citeh still had 75% possession and definitely tired West Ham out on Sunday so I'm not sure your analysis above will yield the results you hope for.

Citeh has won 4 of the last 5 titles, a couple by extremly thin margins so the probability is they'll miss out as you do need a bit of luck.

I am sure there will be times this year where your favourite team ("AnyoneplayingCiteh") will get the win so hang tough.... Just to illustrate why I'm not convinced by your assertions.

"On Sunday, City dominated possession, making 833 passes and completing 774 of them. When compared with West Ham's total of 206 from 263 attempted passes, that demonstrates the difference between the sides.

Cancelo played the most passes of anyone on the pitch, completing 106 of 111 attempted. Ake, Rodri, Dias and Walker took second to fifth respectively in that metric, showing that City spent a lot of time manoeuvring West Ham around the pitch before feeding into the attacking players. " This, along with the 75% possession suggest to me that the inclusion of Haaland as an attacking focus didn't change that much about the way Citeh played the game....

Last edited by Garbatellamike; Aug 8th 2022 at 4:49 pm.
Garbatellamike is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.