British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Locker Room (https://britishexpats.com/forum/locker-room-66/)
-   -   The 2021/22 Football Thread (https://britishexpats.com/forum/locker-room-66/2021-22-football-thread-938994/)

Garbatellamike May 12th 2022 9:23 pm

Re: The 2021/22 Football Thread

Great result for Spurs tonight - Interesting last 2 games to see who joins the Top 3 in the CL methinks.

Also be interested to see whether Wet spam or Yernited end up in the third tier of Europe also likely to be tight.

Liverpool looked nailed on to win the league :p

At the bottom I think Leeds are in a bit of bother but might be Burnley or Blue scouse so lots to play for there too

pommybird May 13th 2022 6:12 am

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike (Post 13114423)
Great result for Spurs tonight - Interesting last 2 games to see who joins the Top 3 in the CL methinks.

Also be interested to see whether Wet spam or Yernited end up in the third tier of Europe also likely to be tight.

Liverpool looked nailed on to win the league :p

At the bottom I think Leeds are in a bit of bother but might be Burnley or Blue scouse so lots to play for there too

Blokey marking Son just wasn’t up to the job and that was the beginning of the end for Arse, best bit my husband’s Gooner mate invited us round to his to watch the game thinking it was going to be 3 points for them!

Norwich and Burnley to come, relegation fodder, just the sort of teams that we traditionally cock it all up with! Even if we win both we have to rely on Arsenal dropping points in their final matches, I have prepared for 5th!

Garbatellamike May 13th 2022 9:29 am

Originally Posted by pommybird (Post 13114471)
Blokey marking Son just wasn’t up to the job and that was the beginning of the end for Arse, best bit my husband’s Gooner mate invited us round to his to watch the game thinking it was going to be 3 points for them!

Norwich and Burnley to come, relegation fodder, just the sort of teams that we traditionally cock it all up with! Even if we win both we have to rely on Arsenal dropping points in their final matches, I have prepared for 5th!

I think Norwich has checked out already so easy win but Burnley will be fighting for their lives so that will be a toughie. The gooners go the Geordieland so might drop 2 or 3 points there and then they finish with Blue Scouse who are also scrapping for survival. Going to the wire methinks.

Citeh has to play against "Antony the cheat Taylor" in the London Stadium and the best we get playing against the cheat is a point but probably a defeat. It may depend on how good Saints defence is against Red Scouse for goal difference.... I'm not hopeful tbh

kimilseung May 14th 2022 5:13 pm

US cup final broadcast has the crowd quite loud, but oddly without much atmosphere. The chants and singing being drowned out by generic crowd chatter.

kimilseung May 14th 2022 5:17 pm

Liverpool vs Chelsea, 6 hours of play this season, can't sperated them ...yet.
no goals in the last three hours of play time.

spouse of scouse May 14th 2022 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by kimilseung (Post 13114859)
Liverpool vs Chelsea, 6 hours of play this season, can't sperated them ...yet.
no goals in the last three hours of play time.

Not sure I'm going to survive this last 15 minutes. And it's the wee small hours here so there's no one to revive me if I cark it.

Mr Weeze May 14th 2022 6:53 pm

That was a good game for a 0-0

BristolUK May 14th 2022 7:33 pm

Lukaku continues to fail to score against anyone any good.

Good to see Hendo consoling Mount. :thumbup:

BristolUK May 17th 2022 12:40 pm

I had mixed feelings while supporting Newcastle last night. I've had a soft spot for Spurs since the 1960s so would prefer the 4th spot to go to them.

But from an England point of view there's quite a gain on Saka, Smith-Rowe and maybe Nketiah playing Champions League and helping their development.

Surprised at the condemnation of Arsenal to be honest. As much as Newcastle pounded them, they were not looking like scoring and I thought Arsenal looked far more threatening. They carved Newcastle's defence completely open a couple of times. Until the OG I thought it had all the hallmarks of one of those matches where composure in front of goal would tell.

Mr Weeze May 19th 2022 10:38 pm

That was dramatic! Quite the turnaround. I’m not sure whether I would rather they go down, but at least it was entertaining. They are bell ends with all the flares though.

Maste May 20th 2022 1:56 am

Best final day of football coming up in yonks, finally. Has been boring in years gone by with most things wrapped up - but now we have everything going on - top spot, 4th place, and relegation. Love it.

BristolUK May 20th 2022 12:21 pm

From the brilliant Sidfishes

It used to be the case that as soon as you were born into this life of many travails, the first thing they do to you is smack you on the arse, just to let you know what you’re going to be in for, for the next 70 or so years.

You go to school, they ‘hate you if you’re clever and they despise a fool’ as some scouser said and the place where you should be nurtured and developed turns into a 13 year holding pen to mould you into something useful to the society that most of the politicians deny even exists anyway. Your creativity, your curiosity, your spirit is crushed and all individuality beaten out of you by the daily ‘dark sarcasm in the classrooms’ inflicted by teachers and fellow inmates, as someone from Great Bookham once said (surprisingly, not a referee!). 'Don't be different don't stand out' seems the mantra most working class kids get

You look for distractions to give you some meaning to life, some find stamp collecting some find breaking into off-licences, most lads of my generation picked football. Then, on that momentous day when your dad, uncles and older siblings have done their work brainwashing you with tales of ‘Dixie Dean’ or ‘The Cannonball Kid’ or ‘Alex Young’ and they’ve indoctrinated the shit out of you, you have that momentous day when one of your peer group asks you who you support?

Until, the age of seven I was uncommitted, as a firm answer to this question meant my Grandad would stop taking me to Anfield or my dad would stop taking me to Goodison, and being the mercenary little bastard I was, I just liked going to the game and showered with sweets, bags of chips and a lemonade drank through a straw outside the ‘Flat Iron’ or ‘The Spellow’.

However, readers, after watching Alex Young float and pirouette like a blonde ghost through several opposition defences, I reached that momentous day when the question was asked again ‘Who do you support laa?’ and my squeaky Alan Ball voice and matching red hair said with firm conviction – ‘Everton’

And that’s when my troubles really began…

Everton, you have become my lifelong obsession, and I’ve been faithful to you as a lover overwhelmed with desire and love for a beautiful but feckless woman who now and again shows me flashes of encouragement but deep down, doesn’t give two shits about me.

I can track the landmarks of my life through your triumphs and disasters (mostly disasters). I have lost at least two jobs because of you and potential relationships with the opposite sex have ended because ‘I can’t see you this weekend, we have Norwich away… no it’s just a league game… of course it’s not as important as you… see you Sunday night… oh, you’re washing your hair… forever??’

There were some in my peer group who picked Liverpool and I suppose I should envy them, but I don’t. I actually feel sorry for them, for their road in terms of football success, has been an easy one, where mine has been the rocky path, the track strewn with boulders, the way of the worrier and manic depressive. However, if I was transported back to that place of decision, with all the knowledge I now possess – I’d make the same one.

Football eh? Corrupt, now the playground of the evilest regimes on the planet, multi millionaire players whose lifestyle choices and fashion careers seem to mean more to some of them than sweating blood for the cause and who can never have enough money for their entourage of agents and hangers on. A whited sepulchre containing unspeakable corruption to the core… treats the match going fans as a given and ****s around with kick off times and venues for its trophies with gay abandon… and yet, and yet

Yesterday evening, none of that mattered, no questioning of motivation, no soul searching about ‘should I bother?’. Last night, there was only one place any Evertonian wanted to be, and that was a place of both the highs and lows of where football can take you – to the depths of despair to the height of triumph and oh my giddy Aunt, I felt every emotion, every tear that was wrenched from me, every heart stopping moment.

Churchill said after Dunkirk and the false triumphalism that followed ‘Wars are not won by evacuations’ and similarly the ‘staying up trophy’ is not a recognised cup. We can and we must do better for our magnificent support. Yesterday is not the end – it’s a start.

I’ve not that many years left now, but if I live to be as old as Job, I never want to experience that see saw of emotional incontinence ever again and after the high, comes the low and a trip to Arsenal Sunday, where I hope I can bask in warm sunlight and celebrate? Celebrate what exactly?

Celebrate being here, being a part of this game, which with all of its faults, is still the best way I can think of to spend 90 odd minutes a week, with the other manic obsessives and my blue, blue family of brothers and sisters. And now – I’m off to bed

Up the Blues!

Former Lancastrian May 21st 2022 10:47 am

Rangnick, who will be replaced by Ten Hag at Old Trafford, confirmed dialogue has taken place via WhatsApp but the pair are yet to meet in person.

https://www.skysports.com/football/n...h-erik-ten-hag

ETH : Morning Ralf ETH here the new Manager

RR : :rofl: :rofl: Sorry about that morning ETH

ETH : So the current squad can I work with it or will I need to bring in players?

RR : :rofl: :rofl: Definitely some you could work with but will need to chat with the Glazers about how much you could spend

ETH : So are you suggesting there needs to be some work done?

RR : :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: One might say that

ETH : Can you give me any positives?

RR : Elsie switched over to using Yorkshire Gold tea bags

Go on have your fun.

BristolUK May 21st 2022 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 13116546)
Go on have your fun.

Looking at some ManU wage levels. Sancho £350k, Rashford 200k weekly, Shaw £150k, Lingard £75k,...then you see Leicester top pay is Vardy @ £140k and Maddison 3rd on £110k or Brighton where top earners are Lallana and Welbeck on £90k and £55k...it is clear that ManU should have no trouble attracting players for the money.

Of course there are many factors involved in transfers. Maybe the player doesn't want to disrupt a child's education by changing schools - albeit this should really only be an issue for long distance transfers; perhaps he's one of those players, like Le Tissier who has little ambition outside his home club; doesn't find the weather appealing but is it really so different throughout England?...ad so on.

Had it been the last couple of years then you could understand a reluctance of players to go to ManU. But now they have a highly regarded coach. And for all their faults they still have a big fanbase, big crowds, still a 'European' team (unlike most of the rest), they won their CL group so can still compete.

Unless players have a chance of a move to City, Liverpool or Chelsea within England or the big clubs in Europe or maybe an Italian or Spanish lifestyle, it should be quite easy for ManU to attract players like Maddison, Deswbury-Hall, Tielemans, Trossard, Guehi, Mitchel, perhaps take a punt on Eze, maybe nick Nketiah from Arsenal if he's unsettled like the reports say, McGinn perhaps - looks more reliable than McTominay...test Ollie Watkins and Villa's resolve with an offer. Phillips from Leeds is an obvious one. Walker-Peters.

It really shouldn't be hard to get players like that. I can't believe none of them wouldn't be interested in at least doubling their money, increasing their sponsorship appeal, believing they might do better under ten Hag than Rodgers, Potter, Vieira, Gerrard, Hasenhüttl and at a way bigger club.

None are likely to be snapped up by better options and all would improve ManU. They are all players with good attitudes on the pitch. Only Nketiah would have a better chance of European football, especially CL, by staying put.

Leicester as feeder club for ManU. :lol: They could do worse.

Mr Weeze May 21st 2022 4:05 pm

Lingard apparently wants £150k from us. Yeah, that’s a no thanks.