British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Locker Room (https://britishexpats.com/forum/locker-room-66/)
-   -   The 2021/22 Football Thread (https://britishexpats.com/forum/locker-room-66/2021-22-football-thread-938994/)

SpoogleDrummer May 10th 2022 9:00 pm

Re: The 2021/22 Football Thread

The one player we have no passable replacement for and he gets injured after 30 minutes with the FA Cup final up next. Bollocks. I'd also like to see a front line of Diaz, Firmino and Salah at some point, no idea why Jota keeps getting in the starting line up.

BristolUK May 10th 2022 10:16 pm

Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer (Post 13113731)
That link says Sterling has played 28 and started 22, Grealish has played 24 but started 21 ...

Some are more reliable than others. The one I found first time matched Mikes.
Whoscored.com says 22 starts for Sterling and 6 sub apps.
Transfermarkt shows 28 apps, 4 of which as a sub.

So if actual starts are even lower than in our examples the number of starts lost is even more significant. :nod:

Of course your point about 5 subs may mean that players have similar numbers of appearances alongside their names from next season but maybe there comes a point at which appearances of 6 or 7 minutes running the clock down are less fulfilling and no longer seem like actually playing.

Mr Weeze May 11th 2022 12:51 am

More chips on show than in the fish shop, relax people.

Former Lancastrian May 11th 2022 1:28 am

Well I hope Danny Ing's has finished a nice steak & lobster dinner and finished counting the notes in his brown envelope left in his locker before kick off. I somehow think that header and heavy touch one on one against Allison would have brought a different result against DeGea.
The look on Klopp's face after that early Villa goal could have been captioned "Stevie that wasn't in the script what we talked about"

Garbatellamike May 11th 2022 8:18 am

Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer (Post 13113720)
As far as I can tell those are appearance stats not starting stats so with 5 subs returning next season Pep can play them all. Though as usual there are reports about Sterling and Jesus leaving. I'd take that with a pinch of salt though as I can't see anyone matching Sterling's wage demands except perhaps Arsenal who seem to like having 1 player on crazy money who then never performs for them.

Yes i suspect you are spot on there onre has to confess it was a quick google to illustrate the point that the Friend Bristol was in error with his significantly less comment.

as you say thier are rumours about Sterling (yes please), Jesus and Bernardo leaving.

Looks more and more likely that the transfer is actually going to happen, which is entirely good news whatever the haters claim.

Garbatellamike May 11th 2022 8:23 am

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 13113684)
:lol:
That's right. I "stumbled upon" it with a very specific reference to it in my first comment on the matter. :rolleyes:

Are there no depths you won't sink to when someone disagrees with you?.

Don't be daft - no one is sinking to any depths - dry your eyes Princess.

One happily acknowledges you do make a good point now and again and that was one.

one reserves the right to disagree with one particularly when one is hating on the club one passionately supports :nod:

Have a nice day and don't be too upset if the transfer goes through

Garbatellamike May 11th 2022 8:25 am

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 13113781)
So if actual starts are even lower than in our examples the number of starts lost is even more significant. :nod:

:rofl::rofl::rofl: great effort

Garbatellamike May 11th 2022 8:29 am

Well it looks like 51 mil is the price which seems rather low for a play of Haaland's quality?????

Scamp May 11th 2022 10:46 am

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike (Post 13113861)
Well it looks like 51 mil is the price which seems rather low for a play of Haaland's quality?????

1 year left on his contract I think, it's take something now or let him go for nothing next year.

Apparnetly it'll go up to 80-something with agent fees and signing bonuses, and he's going to be getting 400k a week.

I think it's a superb bit of business for City. The exact sort of player they need, for a third of what Kane (who's forgotten how to be good it could be argued) would have cost.

Garbatellamike May 11th 2022 11:14 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 13113889)
1 year left on his contract I think, it's take something now or let him go for nothing next year.

Apparnetly it'll go up to 80-something with agent fees and signing bonuses, and he's going to be getting 400k a week.

I think it's a superb bit of business for City. The exact sort of player they need, for a third of what Kane (who's forgotten how to be good it could be argued) would have cost.

Yeah makes sense, I read release clause was 63 mil so looks like 12 mil discount for the year you mention. Agents fees will be huge and the wages will be about the same as KdB as I understand it still well over 100k less than Ronaldo is getting.

I do think think there will be other movements in and out too. Julian Alvarez will be in bound for preseason, Cole Palmer will be looking for more game time now he is fit again so that's 3 more players for the front 5 positions so rotation will continue to be important to manage squad.

It is a superb piece of business as you say.

I think the other area where Citeh desparately needs to strengthen in the holding MF with Fernandinho leaving that only leaves Rodri so I expect someone like Tchouameni to come in. Given Pep likes a smallish squad there may be some high profile departures too. Busy Summer methinks.

Scamp May 11th 2022 11:21 am

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike (Post 13113903)
Yeah makes sense, I read release clause was 63 mil so looks like 12 mil discount for the year you mention. Agents fees will be huge and the wages will be about the same as KdB as I understand it still well over 100k less than Ronaldo is getting.

I do think think there will be other movements in and out too. Julian Alvarez will be in bound for preseason, Cole Palmer will be looking for more game time now he is fit again so that's 3 more players for the front 5 positions so rotation will continue to be important to manage squad.

It is a superb piece of business as you say.

I think the other area where Citeh desparately needs to strengthen in the holding MF with Fernandinho leaving that only leaves Rodri so I expect someone like Tchouameni to come in. Given Pep likes a smallish squad there may be some high profile departures too. Busy Summer methinks.

How long has Sterling got left on his contract? Might be time to go for him.
Replacing Fernandinho is almost an impossible task, an absolute giant of a player and so talented.
I think you could argue Haaland will be overpaid at 400k if Ronaldo gets 500k. Ronaldo's earned that rate with years of being the best in the world (or second best if you wish). 400k when you've had one insane season with 40 goals in a farmers league is bloody generous, but I'm sure he'll show it's money 'well' spent.

Garbatellamike May 11th 2022 11:30 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 13113908)
How long has Sterling got left on his contract? Might be time to go for him.
Replacing Fernandinho is almost an impossible task, an absolute giant of a player and so talented.
I think you could argue Haaland will be overpaid at 400k if Ronaldo gets 500k. Ronaldo's earned that rate with years of being the best in the world (or second best if you wish). 400k when you've had one insane season with 40 goals in a farmers league is bloody generous, but I'm sure he'll show it's money 'well' spent.

i think Sterling has a year to run and I wouldn't be that bothered if he moves on as he still panics and misses easy chances.

400K is a lot of money for a 21 year old to be sure but I think they had to pay that to get him to sign as he had plenty of other options.

Ronaldo is 16 years older and as you say was the 2nd best player in the world for a decade if not more. I also think a mid table team like Yernited have to pay bigger salaries to get good players as they can't offer CL footy.... Citeh had to pay ridicuolus salaries to the likes of Yaya to get him to step down to a small club playing on a council pitch when he was used to the nou Camp.

huge money for a kid and hopefully it doesn't go to his head but time will tell on that

Garbatellamike May 11th 2022 10:15 pm

wow KdB - what a player....

fantastic result tonight

Red Eric May 12th 2022 8:53 pm

I see the All Time Great from the original Mancs club has picked up yet another accolade.

Well done, Cristiano :thumbup:

Could be an exciting season ahead if Darwin Núñez wants tips from The Master.

Garbatellamike May 12th 2022 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 13114413)
I see the All Time Great from the original Mancs club has picked up yet another accolade.

Well done, Cristiano :thumbup:

Good player and in great shape for a man of his age - now only one award behind Arry K and Auguerooooooo