British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Locker Room (https://britishexpats.com/forum/locker-room-66/)
-   -   The 2021/22 Football Thread (https://britishexpats.com/forum/locker-room-66/2021-22-football-thread-938994/)

Former Lancastrian May 10th 2022 12:37 pm

Re: The 2021/22 Football Thread

So I expect the Theatre Of Dreams will be rocking tomorrow night. No it won't be chants of Viva Ronaldo and the likes but the prospect of Yernited players actually turning up for a game, looking like they give a shit and not parading LV toiletry bags or other designer wear. We are talking of fans roaring on the youngsters as they play Notts Forest in the FA Youth Cup Final.
Already over 63,000 tickets have been sold beating the previous record of 38,187 set by Arsenal in March 2007 coincidentally against Yernited.
Now granted a lot of the tickets were only a quid and I expect parents will be forking out money on concessions and hopefully not nearly 13 quid on a portion of chips

https://usmail24.com/fans-reprimand-...rates-stadium/

Some forum comments have called for it to be mandatory for the 1st team players to attend however lots of replies saying they don't even attend or show up for games they are playing in.

Yes folks this is what we have to resort to finding a positive.

Be interesting to see how Stevie Me sets up his team for tonight or what tactics he deploys against his former club.

Garbatellamike May 10th 2022 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 13113641)
I'm sure the new signing will actually play. That either means someone leaves or the other players play less.

Unless you're suggesting Pep's new tactic is to have 12 on the pitch at the same time. :lol:

don't be daft - you used the words "significantly less" in your question and the answer as previously stated is no one :nod:

Garbatellamike May 10th 2022 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 13113640)
I suspect he might improve the chance taking rate but possibly at the expense of fewer chances being made.

:lol:
No downsides there just possiblities.

But I appreciate you might get worried.

don't be daft - you've not included the whole quote and left out some key bits - nice spinning but no banana

Garbatellamike May 10th 2022 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 13113661)
Yes folks this is what we have to resort to finding a positive.

good job :lol:

And here is a positive for Pommy B - Spurs win a trophy

https://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/new...on-for-202122/

Garbatellamike May 10th 2022 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 13113661)
Be interesting to see how Stevie Me sets up his team for tonight or what tactics he deploys against his former club.

Yes be interesting to see but one suspects an easy victory for Red Scouse will be the outcome.

BristolUK May 10th 2022 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike (Post 13113662)
don't be daft - you used the words "significantly less" in your question and the answer as previously stated is no one :nod:

Absolutely. I didn't think it was necessary to make a distinction between significantly less and just less but let's run with your figures.

Sterling 28 games
Jesus 26 games
Foden 27 games
Mahrez 25 games
Grealish 24 games
Gundogan 25 games
KdB 26 games
Bernardo 32 games

Eight players. Let's say Haaland starts a similar number . Say 28. If (a massive if) everything was equal then 28 divided by 8 is 3.5 games less each.

So Grealish, as an example starts 20 games instead of 24. You don't think losing nearly a fifth of your starts is signifiant? It's almost a fifth of starts for Gundogan and Mahrez too.

Now to reality. Do you think Haaland's starts would be spread absolutely evenly among those 8? Is he going to replace Grealish as often as he'd replace Jesus? Or perhaps energiser bunny Bernardo is going to make way? :lol:

That Bernardo has started 32 compared to the others rather suggests he's a tad more important. So maybe Haaland's starts would be spread among the other 7 making the % of loss of their starts higher than the fifth mentioned. Even more significant.

But maybe Jesus leaves and Haaland simply 'replaces' what would have been Jesus starts. That would be the other half of my statement - "either means someone leaves or the other players play less"

It looks "significant" to me. :nod:

Garbatellamike May 10th 2022 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 13113672)
Absolutely. I didn't think it was necessary to make a distinction between significantly less and just less but let's run with your figures.

Sterling 28 games
Jesus 26 games
Foden 27 games
Mahrez 25 games
Grealish 24 games
Gundogan 25 games
KdB 26 games
Bernardo 32 games

Eight players. Let's say Haaland starts a similar number . Say 28. If (a massive if) everything was equal then 28 divided by 8 is 3.5 games less each.

So Grealish, as an example starts 20 games instead of 24. You don't think losing nearly a fifth of your starts is signifiant? It's almost a fifth of starts for Gundogan and Mahrez too.

Now to reality. Do you think Haaland's starts would be spread absolutely evenly among those 8? Is he going to replace Grealish as often as he'd replace Jesus? Or perhaps energiser bunny Bernardo is going to make way? :lol:

That Bernardo has started 32 compared to the others rather suggests he's a tad more important. So maybe Haaland's starts would be spread among the other 7 making the % of loss of their starts higher than the fifth mentioned. Even more significant.

But maybe Jesus leaves and Haaland simply 'replaces' what would have been Jesus starts. That would be the other half of my statement - "either means someone leaves or the other players play less"

It looks "significant" to me. :nod:

wow that's really impressive spin - your search for a downside on the Haaland transfer (if it actually happens) is most impressive, one has to conclude your hatred for citeh runs deep :nod:- your inability to understand the concept of rotation less so :nod:

Where you may have stumbled upon something is your point that someone may leave as Torres and Sane have done recently - it will be a long summer and the squad of 22 might still be 22 at the start of next season. Well done on that bit!

Scamp May 10th 2022 1:28 pm

Jesus goes back to back up and Haaland starts every game like prime Aguero would have.

It's surely nothing but that? Why sign a (potentially) mercurial talent and bench him for Sterling to miss 8 shots a game or for Grealish to run around carrying the weight of a price tag beyond his ability in a position he doesn't play.

They've rotated so much this season because they've played plenty of games without an actual recognised striker.

Garbatellamike May 10th 2022 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 13113677)
Jesus goes back to back up and Haaland starts every game like prime Aguero would have.

It's surely nothing but that? Why sign a (potentially) mercurial talent and bench him for Sterling to miss 8 shots a game or for Grealish to run around carrying the weight of a price tag beyond his ability in a position he doesn't play.

They've rotated so much this season because they've played plenty of games without an actual recognised striker.

Yeah agree with that assessment but would add Jesus may also play games out wide, which he prefers to the central role. I think you over rate Sterling though it's normally more than 8 a game

Grealish has been a disappointment for sure hopefully better next season

BristolUK May 10th 2022 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike (Post 13113674)
Where you may have stumbled upon something

:lol:
That's right. I "stumbled upon" it with a very specific reference to it in my first comment on the matter. :rolleyes:

Are there no depths you won't sink to when someone disagrees with you?

Back on ignore I reckon.

Scamp May 10th 2022 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike (Post 13113679)
Yeah agree with that assessment but would add Jesus may also play games out wide, which he prefers to the central role. I think you over rate Sterling though it's normally more than 8 a game

Grealish has been a disappointment for sure hopefully better next season

Incidentally, I think that's a good shout on Jesus, but he's probably someone they should fall over themselves to keep as a great back up. If he's happy to take big bucks and play Carabao Cup games and against Watford away then I'd be doing what I could to convince him they're both important tasks.

I want Grealish to be good but crikey Foden has the ability to make him look expensive and average.

BristolUK May 10th 2022 2:45 pm

So the Guardian was right then. Again.
:nod:

Ye of little faith.

SpoogleDrummer May 10th 2022 4:36 pm

As far as I can tell those are appearance stats not starting stats so with 5 subs returning next season Pep can play them all. Though as usual there are reports about Sterling and Jesus leaving. I'd take that with a pinch of salt though as I can't see anyone matching Sterling's wage demands except perhaps Arsenal who seem to like having 1 player on crazy money who then never performs for them.

BristolUK May 10th 2022 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer (Post 13113720)
As far as I can tell those are appearance stats not starting stats

Starts according to various sites including this one
https://fbref.com/en/squads/b8fd03ef...ter-City-Stats

SpoogleDrummer May 10th 2022 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 13113672)

Sterling 28 games
Jesus 26 games
Foden 27 games
Mahrez 25 games
Grealish 24 games
Gundogan 25 games
KdB 26 games
Bernardo 32 games

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 13113726)
Starts according to various sites including this one
https://fbref.com/en/squads/b8fd03ef...ter-City-Stats

That link says Sterling has played 28 and started 22, Grealish has played 24 but started 21 ...