British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Locker Room (https://britishexpats.com/forum/locker-room-66/)
-   -   The 2021/22 Football Thread (https://britishexpats.com/forum/locker-room-66/2021-22-football-thread-938994/)

DaveLovesDee Jul 20th 2021 9:32 pm

Re: The 2021/22 Football Thread

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 13031435)
According to one report I read he has been arrested but released on bail pending investigation. Normally the media won't release a name until charges laid as then it is a public record unless the court issues a media ban. As for naming him on a website such as this then I don't see a problem as this is not a media outlet.

I agree. It's my personal choice not to.

Whether it's acceptable for here, that's not my problem.

SpoogleDrummer Jul 20th 2021 9:57 pm

Personally I don't think news of someone being arrested for something like this should even be released until they're found guilty. Regardless of whether he's innocent or not now the mud will stick for the rest of his life much like Michael Jackson.

DaveLovesDee Jul 20th 2021 10:18 pm

Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer (Post 13031451)
Personally I don't think news of someone being arrested for something like this should even be released until they're found guilty. Regardless of whether he's innocent or not now the mud will stick for the rest of his life much like Michael Jackson.

And that is definitely a very good point. Though sometimes, the name being released when they're charged can help other victims come forward. But there has to be a line drawn somewhere, and it definitely shouldn't be before charges are brought.

But in the age of the internet and social media, once the name is out there outside of the UK, it's impossible to stop with one of those super-injunctions, which in themselves makes people wonder what the person has to hide. The accused can't win either way.

And I can understand Everton has to be seen to be doing something by suspending him.

Former Lancastrian Jul 22nd 2021 11:16 pm

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/MYIq...02122_1.0.jpeg

Wow I didn't realize my 4 year old had entered a competition and won.

SpoogleDrummer Jul 23rd 2021 1:46 am

On the same day they release that kit there's rumours City are prepared to offer players plus cash for Kane with Sterling, Sliva, Jesus or Mahrez mentioned. Which of them would seriously consider moving to Spurs to be on less money, have less chance of winning anything and wear that kit?

civilservant Jul 23rd 2021 12:42 pm

Sancho deal confirmed:

https://www.theguardian.com/football...-from-dortmund

Apparently the Verane deal is on the verge of collapse because United want to pay $40 rather than $50m. I don't really understand why they waste so much time doing this, squabbling over what is a relatively small percentage of a transfer fee. We could have got Sancho last year for exactly the same reason.

Former Lancastrian Jul 24th 2021 5:30 pm

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's side handed wake-up call ahead of new season.

FFS Sky it was a friendly. Now lets see who wasn't playing. Neither DeGea or Henderson in goal. No Luke Shaw, Pogba, Maguire, Fernandez, Rashford, Sancho, Lindelof, Bailly, Fred, James, McTominay, Van Der Bench Warmer, Cavani & Martial.
Anyway OGS won't be that bothered seeing he has just signed a new 3 year contract with the option for another year and the reported 25 million will feed his kids for a couple of weeks.

https://www.skysports.com/football/q.../report/447335

Garbatellamike Jul 24th 2021 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer (Post 13032306)
On the same day they release that kit there's rumours City are prepared to offer players plus cash for Kane with Sterling, Sliva, Jesus or Mahrez mentioned. Which of them would seriously consider moving to Spurs to be on less money, have less chance of winning anything and wear that kit?

one can but hope it is Sterling

SpoogleDrummer Jul 25th 2021 12:01 am

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike (Post 13032946)
one can but hope it is Sterling

I'm certainly not his biggest fan but I can't see him being that stupid.

Garbatellamike Jul 25th 2021 9:23 am

Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer (Post 13033026)
I'm certainly not his biggest fan but I can't see him being that stupid.

you are most assuredly correct - unfortunately

Maste Jul 26th 2021 1:46 pm

As a Spurs fan, I don't see us getting anyone in - this is ridiculous but nothing new to us unfortunately. Glad Son decided to sign a new contract (for some bizarre reason, he really loves us!)

That new away kit - are we getting ready for some Space League now the billionaires are exploring space? Might be our only chance to win a trophy, some sort of intergalactic premier league (with just us in it to make sure we actually win it, and even then we will still somehow come second).

SpoogleDrummer Jul 26th 2021 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by Maste (Post 13033550)
As a Spurs fan, I don't see us getting anyone in - this is ridiculous but nothing new to us unfortunately. Glad Son decided to sign a new contract (for some bizarre reason, he really loves us!)

That new away kit - are we getting ready for some Space League now the billionaires are exploring space? Might be our only chance to win a trophy, some sort of intergalactic premier league (with just us in it to make sure we actually win it, and even then we will still somehow come second).

You've just signed a spanish winger and got rid of Lamela so that's all of the players you signed with the Bale money gone. Time to sell Kane and spaff that money up the wall too.

Former Lancastrian Jul 28th 2021 11:14 pm

30,000 for a friendly and no we weren't playing Barcelona, Real Madrid but Brentford.

SpoogleDrummer Jul 28th 2021 11:23 pm

I don't really see the benefit of friendlies when half the first team players are missing.

Former Lancastrian Jul 28th 2021 11:43 pm

Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer (Post 13034592)
I don't really see the benefit of friendlies when half the first team players are missing.

Supposed to give the manager a look at the fringe players to see if kept or sold, gets fitness levels up, cheaper tickets for the less fortunate so they can attend a game and producing 3 cracking goals like tonights friendly.