British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Locker Room (https://britishexpats.com/forum/locker-room-66/)
-   -   The 2021/22 Football Thread (https://britishexpats.com/forum/locker-room-66/2021-22-football-thread-938994/)

BristolUK Mar 29th 2022 11:50 pm

Re: The 2021/22 Football Thread
 
Slight adjustment. I read 36 teams in the group stage and assumed that to be a mistake.

But I'd forgotten they want to change the group stage to a "Swiss Model"

BristolUK Mar 30th 2022 11:54 pm

Re: The 2021/22 Football Thread
 
Looks like the Premier League clubs will be voting on the 5 subs issue soon. More chance of it passing, sadly.

Former Lancastrian Mar 31st 2022 6:23 pm

Re: The 2021/22 Football Thread
 

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 13104961)
Looks like the Premier League clubs will be voting on the 5 subs issue soon. More chance of it passing, sadly.

Oh I dunno there has been the odd Yernited game where I would have applauded 8 subs being used.

Mr Weeze Apr 2nd 2022 1:22 pm

Re: The 2021/22 Football Thread
 
Nice to see VAR being used properly in the Liverpool game. Not sure what the Watford defender was doing, but that’s a penalty all day long, and that stuff happens so much and doesn’t get penalized.

BristolUK Apr 2nd 2022 7:42 pm

Re: The 2021/22 Football Thread
 

Originally Posted by Mr Weeze (Post 13105476)
Nice to see VAR being used properly in the Liverpool game. Not sure what the Watford defender was doing, but that’s a penalty all day long, and that stuff happens so much and doesn’t get penalized.

Which probably makes it worth doing then, sadly.

It's like those 'little' tugs and quick releases, or the arms on the shoulders then lifted up in faux innocence. Rarely given as fouls as not considered "enough" to impede, but the very reason players do it is because it does impede and like the penalty area grappling, they know they will likely escape action.

pommybird Apr 3rd 2022 4:54 pm

Re: The 2021/22 Football Thread
 

Originally Posted by Mr Weeze (Post 13105476)
Nice to see VAR being used properly in the Liverpool game. Not sure what the Watford defender was doing, but that’s a penalty all day long, and that stuff happens so much and doesn’t get penalized.

Are you enjoying the game?? :p

BristolUK Apr 3rd 2022 5:43 pm

Re: The 2021/22 Football Thread
 
On the weekend that Spurs moved into the top four (from 9th place when Conte took over) and ManU dropped so low they're not even in a Conference qualifying place (subject to who wins the cups) I wonder if the decision makers at Old Trafford are admitting they might have erred in judging Conte as not a good fit for the club.

Mr Weeze Apr 3rd 2022 8:32 pm

Re: The 2021/22 Football Thread
 

Originally Posted by pommybird (Post 13105596)
Are you enjoying the game?? :p

Thankfully my youngest turns 10 today, so I wasn’t watching!

Scamp Apr 4th 2022 11:23 am

Re: The 2021/22 Football Thread
 
Picture it.

94th minute.
1-1
World Cup final.
Sterling takes a customary dive on the edge of the box, free kick given.
Kane goes to take it, debating with Trent over who can be the hero, but a confused, frustrated looking James Ward-Beckham-Prowse butts into the conversation. He slaps them both, gently, tells them to get out of his way.
Places the ball, gently, but precisely.
He steps back, the world knows what's coming, the keeper knows where he wants to put it.
Everyone holds their breath.
JWP takes one last look at the corner of the frame.
He steps forwards, hits it, curling, over the wall, pace on it, dipping, moving, keeper diving....TOP BINSSSSSSSSSSSS


WINS THE WORLD CUP FOR ENGLAND!!

ARISE SIR JAMES WARD-PROWSE!





*Scamp wakes up and sees Kalvin Phillips picked instead of JWP for World Cup*

SpoogleDrummer Apr 4th 2022 4:31 pm

Re: The 2021/22 Football Thread
 

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 13105599)
On the weekend that Spurs moved into the top four (from 9th place when Conte took over) and ManU dropped so low they're not even in a Conference qualifying place (subject to who wins the cups) I wonder if the decision makers at Old Trafford are admitting they might have erred in judging Conte as not a good fit for the club.

It's a fake 4th place though, Arsenal only need 1 point from 2 games in hand to go above them and the only team of note they've played since February is United and they lost to them. They're doing exactly the same as Arsenal, looking decent against the teams they should beat then plummeting back down to earth when they play a decent team or United. As for Conte he moans and says the players are shit each time Spurs lose I don't think he'd be any better for United, he'd just be Jose Mark II.

SpoogleDrummer Apr 4th 2022 8:59 pm

Re: The 2021/22 Football Thread
 

Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer (Post 13105781)
It's a fake 4th place though, Arsenal only need 1 point from 2 games in hand to go above them

OK 1 point from 1 game in hand.

BristolUK Apr 4th 2022 9:36 pm

Re: The 2021/22 Football Thread
 

Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer (Post 13105827)
OK 1 point from 1 game in hand.

:lol:

It's looking like nobody wants it.
United have drawn more games than any other top ten side. Just one of those as a win instead and right now they'd be a single point behind Arsenal and Spurs, same number of games as Spurs and Arsenal to play.

Ridiculous that they could still be in it.

SpoogleDrummer Apr 6th 2022 9:23 pm

Re: The 2021/22 Football Thread
 
At the other end of the table I've just taken a look at Everton's run in, I thought people were talking crap when they said they could go down but now I'm thinking it's 50/50 for them.

Scamp Apr 7th 2022 9:47 am

Re: The 2021/22 Football Thread
 

Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer (Post 13106237)
At the other end of the table I've just taken a look at Everton's run in, I thought people were talking crap when they said they could go down but now I'm thinking it's 50/50 for them.

Would love to see them go down, just for the lolz.

Mr Weeze Apr 9th 2022 3:33 pm

Re: The 2021/22 Football Thread
 
Looks like they are safe, based on results today


All times are GMT. The time now is 8:40 am.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.