British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Locker Room (https://britishexpats.com/forum/locker-room-66/)
-   -   The 2021/22 Football Thread (https://britishexpats.com/forum/locker-room-66/2021-22-football-thread-938994/)

DaveLovesDee Oct 26th 2021 5:08 pm

Re: The 2021/22 Football Thread

RIP Walter Smith, 73

Managed Rangers, Scotland and Everton.

BristolUK Oct 26th 2021 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer (Post 13065635)
It's funny that some people have been calling for Lampard to replace Bruce and even Ole but he's done absolutely **** all to deserve such an opportunity.

I think Lampard has been given an unfair time. It seems to have been forgotten he took over when there was a transfer embargo. He did a perfectly decent job at Derby (look at them since) and he gave chances to lots of young players which Tuchel - undoubtedly a top coach - is benefiting from.

Lampard still had Chelsea very well placed, group winners in the CL and not far behind CL places. Tuchel inherited a dream squad, just like all the other Chelsea managers who kept them winning stuff.

Lampard's mistakes were discarding Azpi, Alonso and Rudiger and they've effectively come back in and made the difference but look how seamless Tuchel can make the team by calling on the likes of James, Hudson-Odoi and Mount who are reliable and proven thanks to Lampard.

If Lampard went back to Chelsea now I'm certain he'd learn, unlike Solskjaer who keeps repeating the same mistakes and failing to adapt when something does click.

DaveLovesDee Oct 26th 2021 8:45 pm

These are the kinds of owners fans like to see... Enjoy lads..

Maidenhead are currently leading Wrexham 3-2.

mikelincs Oct 26th 2021 8:51 pm

Perhaps people should be getting behind the English womens team, world cup qualifiers, played 4, won 4, goals for 32, against 0. A 10 - 0 win tonight and the England goalkeeper didn't have a shot to save.

DaveLovesDee Oct 26th 2021 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by mikelincs (Post 13065764)
Perhaps people should be getting behind the English womens team

You might want to rephrase that... :p

There are some dirty, perverted b'stards on BE...

SpoogleDrummer Oct 27th 2021 2:47 am

Originally Posted by mikelincs (Post 13065764)
Perhaps people should be getting behind the English womens team, world cup qualifiers, played 4, won 4, goals for 32, against 0. A 10 - 0 win tonight and the England goalkeeper didn't have a shot to save.

If they're winning by that much then they don't need my support.

SpoogleDrummer Oct 27th 2021 3:44 am

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 13065752)
I think Lampard has been given an unfair time. It seems to have been forgotten he took over when there was a transfer embargo. He did a perfectly decent job at Derby (look at them since) and he gave chances to lots of young players which Tuchel - undoubtedly a top coach - is benefiting from.

His Derby record is no better than the 3 or 4 managers who did the job a year each before him, one of them is Steve McClaren and I don't see him getting linked to United or back to Newcastle either. The fact that they've gone to shit since he left just means the club over extended themselves financially during his time there or that Rooney is really shit.

SpoogleDrummer Oct 27th 2021 5:04 am

Has anyone seen that the Robbie guy from AFTV isn't satisfied with making Arsenal fans look terrible, he's now got another channel called Don Robbie where he brings possibly the worst stereotypes of fans from other clubs to watch the games. The Liverpool fans he has on wear shell suits FFS. He looks like a homeless guy they just found somewhere. The fact he even said beating Manchester United 5-0 is the best day of his life is insane when you consider he's old enough to remember 2005, 2018 and even winning the league and that's limiting it to football memories which I can't honestly say they're the best days of my life but maybe he just doesn't have much going on outside of watching Liverpool.

Scamp Oct 27th 2021 7:48 am

Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer (Post 13065816)
Has anyone seen that the Robbie guy from AFTV isn't satisfied with making Arsenal fans look terrible, he's now got another channel called Don Robbie where he brings possibly the worst stereotypes of fans from other clubs to watch the games. The Liverpool fans he has on wear shell suits FFS. He looks like a homeless guy they just found somewhere. The fact he even said beating Manchester United 5-0 is the best day of his life is insane when you consider he's old enough to remember 2005, 2018 and even winning the league and that's limiting it to football memories which I can't honestly say they're the best days of my life but maybe he just doesn't have much going on outside of watching Liverpool.

In fairness, it's just showing us the kind of Liverpool fan we all know exists. It's not an unfair representation.

BristolUK Oct 27th 2021 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer (Post 13065810)
His Derby record is no better than the 3 or 4 managers who did the job a year each before him, one of them is Steve McClaren and I don't see him getting linked to United or back to Newcastle either. The fact that they've gone to shit since he left just means the club over extended themselves financially during his time there or that Rooney is really shit.

I suppose it depends how you compare records.
According to wiki, McClaren's win record was 44.8%, Rowett 43.3%, Lampard 42.1, Cocu 32.31 and Rooney 25%.

McClaren's Derby finished 2016-17 in 9th place, Rowett's and Lampard's teams both finished 6th with Rowett losing the first play off while Lampard got to the play off final and Cocu's team finished 10th.

I'd say that Lampard achieved a bit more (or a lot more) with his version of Derby than the other 4 of the last 5.

SpoogleDrummer Oct 27th 2021 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 13065930)
I suppose it depends how you compare records.
According to wiki, McClaren's win record was 44.8%, Rowett 43.3%, Lampard 42.1, Cocu 32.31 and Rooney 25%.

McClaren's Derby finished 2016-17 in 9th place, Rowett's and Lampard's teams both finished 6th with Rowett losing the first play off while Lampard got to the play off final and Cocu's team finished 10th.

I'd say that Lampard achieved a bit more (or a lot more) with his version of Derby than the other 4 of the last 5.

Finishing 6th or finishing 9th make no difference unless you win the playoffs you're still stuck in the Championship.

BristolUK Oct 27th 2021 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer (Post 13066011)
Finishing 6th or finishing 9th make no difference unless you win the playoffs you're still stuck in the Championship.

But you said his record was no better than the others. 6th is better than 9th and 10th and making the play off final is better than not making the play off final.
Ergo his record was better than the others.

Add in that it was Lampard's first managerial/coaching position while the others had years of experience, criticism of him is even more off the mark.

SpoogleDrummer Oct 27th 2021 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 13066034)
But you said his record was no better than the others. 6th is better than 9th and 10th and making the play off final is better than not making the play off final.
Ergo his record was better than the others.

Add in that it was Lampard's first managerial/coaching position while the others had years of experience, criticism of him is even more off the mark.

Position is based off how well others have done too so win percentage is more important. I wasn't criticising him, simply saying he hasn't proved himself enough to take on the position of manager at a big club with a big budget. You need more than 1 year in a Championship side before jumping to a Premier League side trying to win the title unless of course you've been a member of the backroom staff at that club for multiple years and already know how it works and have the respect of the players from a management perspective such being a coach or assistant. If he'd somehow won 80% of his matches with Derby and shown his complete superiority over the previous managers then maybe my opinion would be different but he didn't so it isn't.

BristolUK Oct 27th 2021 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer (Post 13066048)
Position is based off how well others have done too so win percentage is more important. I wasn't criticising him, simply saying he hasn't proved himself enough to take on the position of manager at a big club with a big budget. You need more than 1 year in a Championship side before jumping to a Premier League side trying to win the title unless of course you've been a member of the backroom staff at that club for multiple years and already know how it works and have the respect of the players from a management perspective such being a coach or assistant. If he'd somehow won 80% of his matches with Derby and shown his complete superiority over the previous managers then maybe my opinion would be different but he didn't so it isn't.

All true enough - although win %, like points totals, need to be taken in the context of seasons too. A better win % or higher points total than a previous season is no good if other teams also did that and you finish lower in the table as a result. Position will determine outcome.

I just think Lampard has been unfairly maligned for the reasons I stated earlier.

On the inexperience point, the two most successful managers/coaches of recent times both got their position based on the association with the clubs they played for and short periods coaching the reserves. :lol:

Former Lancastrian Oct 27th 2021 8:32 pm

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2021/10...5261584108.jpg

Im OK with this seeing as Daniel Craig has retired.