Go Back  British Expats > General > The Locker Room
Reload this Page >

The 2021/22 Football Thread

The 2021/22 Football Thread

Old Sep 14th 2021, 10:46 am
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The 2021/22 Football Thread

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian View Post
Now it's Daily Mail bollocks but they are reporting Citeh are interested in Kalvin Phillips from Leeds for potentially as low as 26 million and yet we paid 53 million for Fred?
In fairness your lot seem happy to spend a lot more on players than we will... Fred, Sanchez, Maquire and Ronaldo to name but 4.

Oh and a thousand thanks for poaching Fred and Sancez ​​​​​​​
Old Sep 14th 2021, 12:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike View Post
In fairness your lot seem happy to spend a lot more on players than we will... Fred, Sanchez, Maquire and Ronaldo to name but 4.

Oh and a thousand thanks for poaching Fred and Sancez
Well it is our money although the Gimps have other ideas about whose money it is. Mmmm Ronaldo shirt sales Since the announcement of his arrival, they have eclipsed £187 million.
As for stocks $MANU is up 8%, meaning Ronaldo has added about $250 million in market cap to the stock already.

In the five years from 2008 to 2013 between City’s takeover and Sir Alex Ferguson’s retirement, the blue side of Manchester had a net spend of £419.6 million. During this time, United spent just £70.1 million net on players.

Net spend comparison 2008 to present

Before the Jack Grealish move City’s net spend since 2008 stood at £1,270,000,000. In the same timeframe, factoring in deals for Raphael Varane and Jadon Sancho, United’s net spend is £927,000,000.

Stats of other clubs

https://www.transfermarkt.us/premier...wettbewerb/GB1

​​​​​​​Whoever we follow that is a shit load of money for both clubs to spend.
Old Sep 14th 2021, 4:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee View Post
Yellowroom should take heart. Hull defended very well today, and their small travelling support were fairly well behaved except for 1 of them...
It's an away point at a club where we'd expect to struggle, so I'll take it, our defence is much improved lately and I'm impressed with the Bernard lad we're loaning from Yernited, he's quality on the ball.

I'm not sure Swansea ever forgave us for the price they paid for Sam Clucas (twice the price we got from Liverpool for Andy Robertson) so nice to hear some compliments coming our way! Sorry about the idiot, whoever they were, but there's one at every match...

Last edited by yellowroom; Sep 14th 2021 at 4:42 pm.
Old Sep 14th 2021, 5:46 pm
You aint seen me, right?

SpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond repute

Well it is our money although the Gimps have other ideas about whose money it is. Mmmm Ronaldo shirt sales Since the announcement of his arrival, they have eclipsed £187 million.
I'm not sure why people care about shirt sales, that money goes to the kit manufacturer not the club, it's the reason they fork out the 750M or whatever it is for 10 seasons. Makes you wonder why clubs don't just get their own sweat shops and produce their own kits, they'd be a lot more money in it for them.
Old Sep 14th 2021, 6:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer View Post
I'm not sure why people care about shirt sales, that money goes to the kit manufacturer not the club, it's the reason they fork out the 750M or whatever it is for 10 seasons. Makes you wonder why clubs don't just get their own sweat shops and produce their own kits, they'd be a lot more money in it for them.
Well if you believe reports or articles from the Daily Mirror those shirts are made in Cambodia by workers earning around 64 p an hour and ordered to make 100 shirts an hour.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-new...g-107-16483416

A UK prisoner can earn between 10 to 20 quid a week and shipping costs would be a lot less but then they would have to import the fabrics used for making the kits. You certainly wouldn't see me paying 100 quid for a shirt or buying one for my kids although they are grown adults. Perhaps there should be an incentive to the 52,000 season ticket holders at Yernited. On non match days install a few hundred/thousand sewing machines on the pitch at OT. For every 10 shirts you make you get a quid knocked off the price of your season ticket and once you have made 50 shirts you get a free shirt.
Old Sep 14th 2021, 8:08 pm
You aint seen me, right?

SpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like the English teams are off to a good start in the Champions' League then.
Old Sep 14th 2021, 8:23 pm
Overkill is underrated

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like the English teams are off to a good start in the Champions' League then.

The Chelsea match isn't finished yet...
Old Sep 14th 2021, 10:33 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee View Post
Yellowroom should take heart. Hull defended very well today, and their small travelling support were fairly well behaved except for 1 of them...
Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
I'm looking very hard but I'm not seeing anything funny or odd
Originally Posted by yellowroom View Post
Sorry about the idiot, whoever they were, but there's one at every match...
Can someone enlighten me please?
Old Sep 14th 2021, 10:58 pm
Overkill is underrated

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
Can someone enlighten me please?

It's just a couple of pics of the Hull players for Yellowroom.... That's it..
Old Sep 14th 2021, 11:00 pm
Overkill is underrated

Originally Posted by yellowroom View Post
It's an away point at a club where we'd expect to struggle, so I'll take it, our defence is much improved lately and I'm impressed with the Bernard lad we're loaning from Yernited, he's quality on the ball.

I'm not sure Swansea ever forgave us for the price they paid for Sam Clucas (twice the price we got from Liverpool for Andy Robertson) so nice to hear some compliments coming our way! Sorry about the idiot, whoever they were, but there's one at every match...
I'm liking this Ryan Manning guy we bought from Celtic. Left back and left midfield, and he did well when he played in the 2nd half.
Old Sep 14th 2021, 11:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

It was that rarified Swiss Mountain air that went to AWB and Lingards head Did Young Boys play that well or just that Yernited were back to normal? Only 2 shots all game but playing for 55 mins with 10 players was always going to be tough. Oh well away record now gone and Wet Spam away on the weekend.
Old Sep 15th 2021, 12:12 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

It was that rarified Swiss Mountain air that went to AWB and Lingards head Did Young Boys play that well or just that Yernited were back to normal? Only 2 shots all game but playing for 55 mins with 10 players was always going to be tough. Oh well away record now gone and Wet Spam away on the weekend.
It was the usual barmy stuff from Solskjaer.
Replacing a defender red carded, like for like, sacrificing another player - Sancho - fair enough. Standard response.

Team has same balance as that which started, minus one. When I got back for the second half, Varane was on and I thought, okay, Lindelof was having a difficult time but he was in addition to rather than instead of and then I saw van de Beek was missing.

So ManU were now a back three plus two players who were full backs prior to that change. Yet Fred stayed on. A defensive midfielder, normally shielding a suspect defence but they now have 5 defensive players, so where's the need for Fred?

As if that's not strange enough vdB was good at keeping the ball - a good habit under normal circumstances let alone when you're down to 10. Pogba, on the other hand, was having one of his keeps losing possession games.

Just in case I was wrong about that, I looked at whoscored.com and saw Pogba's pass completion was a mere 76% compared to vdB's 92% and Pogba was also dispossessed four times. So, yes, when possession is important lose the one keeping the ball and stick with the one losing it.

Then Matic and Lingard come on for Ronaldo and Fernandez, so they lose the one player who might still be a danger in an attacking sense, someone who might at least occupy a defender or two. Having Matic and Pogba on the pitch at the same time is always difficult but with Fred too is just insanity.

And this is supposed to be a squad capable of fighting for the Premier League title.
Old Sep 15th 2021, 5:57 am
WWLLCJD?

Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute

It appears Harvey Elliot says it was an accident and wasn't a red card. Kudos to him and luckily I don't have to say he is an honest Scouser as he was born in Surrey however somewhat surprised as don't all people from Surrey support Yernited?

So the dilemma without bringing in conspiracy theories and all that bollocks. It appears the Govt are advising fans to get jabbed to attend matches and not go to a match if they have symptoms. So problem # 1 they are football fans and not the sharpest knives in the drawer and is that sniffle actually Covid or just a mild cold? Problem # 2 not all players are getting jabbed. Explain the logic to a fan telling them that they should get jabbed to watch a game but players don't need to be.

I found this comment to be somewhat discussed and I am not saying the poster is right or wrong. I have had both jabs and actually attended a Canadian Football game along with 33,000 others all fully jabbed on the weekend.

Footballers who are surrounded by doctors and sports scientists everyday are declining to be jabbed. Doctors and Nurses on the NHS frontline are declining to be jabbed. The vaccines have a place for the vulnerable, but the pressure on everyone else to be jabbed is both illogical and immoral. If you disagree you are extremely naive or willfully complicit.

Now it's Daily Mail bollocks but they are reporting Citeh are interested in Kalvin Phillips from Leeds for potentially as low as 26 million and yet we paid 53 million for Fred?
If you don't get jabbed, you're a ****.
Old Sep 15th 2021, 11:56 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

And this is supposed to be a squad capable of fighting for the Premier League title.
It ain't the squads fault the manager didn't have a clue...
Old Sep 15th 2021, 1:44 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by civilservant View Post
It ain't the squads fault the manager didn't have a clue...
This is, of course, true.
But they started with Lindelof and still have Bailly on the bench. Clearly Maguire and Varane is the first choice pairing but Liverpool, City and Chelsea back ups are streets ahead when it comes to their alternative centre backs.

Mata still gets playing time. As much as I like him the only playing time he should get is when the match, or stage of a match is so meaningless it should be used for players making their way.

There ought to be a law against Martial stepping out onto the pitch and Matic is way past his best.

The squad looks very good when you look at the front players but it's heavily dependent on Pogba and Fernandes being at their very best and the first choice back four playing every game. The latter two parts are what lets them down. It's really not a squad to challenge Chelsea,Liverpool or Man City for the title.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.