British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Locker Room (https://britishexpats.com/forum/locker-room-66/)
-   -   The 2021/22 Football Thread (https://britishexpats.com/forum/locker-room-66/2021-22-football-thread-938994/)

Former Lancastrian Jul 15th 2021 2:54 am

Re: The 2021/22 Football Thread

Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer (Post 13029480)
None of them play for free,
Or can take a penalty.

Don't forget we have Penaldez (Bruno) and I must admit I was impressed with Maguire's penalty against Italy. Wonder if he got billed for the camera he took out.

DaveLovesDee Jul 16th 2021 9:15 am

Well Scamp , I have my tickets for our preseason friendly against Southampton.

Former Lancastrian Jul 16th 2021 10:40 am

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 13029997)

Mmmm hard to decipher if
(a) You think it will be a sell out
(b) The club sent everybody in the local area a ticket on the off chance that you might turn up for the game

Well whatever it will be nice to see people back in the grounds be it limited or full capacity.

DaveLovesDee Jul 16th 2021 11:42 am

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 13030025)
Mmmm hard to decipher if
(a) You think it will be a sell out
(b) The club sent everybody in the local area a ticket on the off chance that you might turn up for the game

Well whatever it will be nice to see people back in the grounds be it limited or full capacity.

It's a preseason friendly.

The club have been told up to 8,200 home fans can attend, and no away fans.

Former Lancastrian Jul 16th 2021 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 13030042)
It's a preseason friendly.

The club have been told up to 8,200 home fans can attend, and no away fans.

Well if any away fans did travel then I guess they would end up being deported like these goats

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...d-England.html

DaveLovesDee Jul 16th 2021 10:37 pm

If they want footballers to keep out of politics, politicians also need to stop with this shit.

UK Government should overrule Welsh FA and create Great Britain team says Conservative editor

He also called for a united British Super League to replace the separate Welsh, Scottish and English premier leagues.“This would fit well with other measures reportedly being considered by the Government, such as trying to create a ‘British Super League’ by allowing top-flight Scottish teams to join their Welsh counterparts in the Premier League and the FA Cup,” he said.

Scamp Jul 18th 2021 6:57 am

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 13029997)

Swansea? Or Arsenal?
I haven't looked at any preseason football yet, but from tonight I'm on holibobs for a few weeks so will indulge in as much as I can.

DaveLovesDee Jul 18th 2021 9:26 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 13030537)
Swansea? Or Arsenal?
I haven't looked at any preseason football yet, but from tonight I'm on holibobs for a few weeks so will indulge in as much as I can.

Swansea..

31st July.

DaveLovesDee Jul 18th 2021 9:29 am

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 13030025)

It's unfortunate that your fans will need to quarantine coming in from amber-list countries :p

Former Lancastrian Jul 18th 2021 10:28 am

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 13030571)
It's unfortunate that your fans will need to quarantine coming in from amber-list countries :p

Counties FIFY eg Surrey, Essex etc.

DaveLovesDee Jul 18th 2021 10:38 am

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 13030578)
Counties FIFY eg Surrey, Essex etc.

:argue:

SpoogleDrummer Jul 20th 2021 2:00 pm

Which of you lot is missing a 31 year old player in the Greater Manchester area then?

civilservant Jul 20th 2021 2:05 pm

This is a strange one. He was arrested by GMP, but then Everton put out a statement saying he was one of their 1st team players. I assume the individual must play for Everton (geographically covered by Merseyside Police) but live in GMPs area.

BristolUK Jul 20th 2021 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer (Post 13031270)
Which of you lot is missing a 31 year old player in the Greater Manchester area then?

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...075dd57762.jpg

Former Lancastrian Jul 20th 2021 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by civilservant (Post 13031272)
This is a strange one. He was arrested by GMP, but then Everton put out a statement saying he was one of their 1st team players. I assume the individual must play for Everton (geographically covered by Merseyside Police) but live in GMPs area.

Would you live in Merseyside :lol: Cant be that good of a player or well known as most seem to live in Cheshire. I am sure his name will be released soon.

SpoogleDrummer Jul 20th 2021 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 13031299)
Would you live in Merseyside :lol: Cant be that good of a player or well known as most seem to live in Cheshire. I am sure his name will be released soon.

Well Bristol's hint was enough for me.

civilservant Jul 20th 2021 3:41 pm

Indeed. The name is reported outside of the UK anyway, it's not a secret.

Former Lancastrian Jul 20th 2021 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer (Post 13031313)

Thought he was hinting at that he would sooner live in Iceland than Merseyside. Just needs clarifying if it's the country or shop:lol:

DaveLovesDee Jul 20th 2021 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer (Post 13031313)

The name was all over Twitter yesterday.

SpoogleDrummer Jul 20th 2021 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 13031376)
The name was all over Twitter yesterday.

That explains why it took me a while to find out then. I only ever use Twitter to find out if there's an ISP outage etc as people seem to complain on there before the support staff even know there's an issue.

Former Lancastrian Jul 20th 2021 6:40 pm

So I guess we can name him. Gylfi Sigurdsson.

DaveLovesDee Jul 20th 2021 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 13031392)
So I guess we can name him

I guess you could, but as I understand it, no UK media publication has made the name public yet. I suspect the accused's solicitor will be watching very closely for anything that prejudices their client's right to a fair trial. The Irish Mirror says he was arrested Friday.

And arrested isn't guilty yet. It just makes it easier to take statements. Has he been charged?

kimilseung Jul 20th 2021 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 13031416)
I guess you could, but as I understand it, no UK media publication has made the name public yet. I suspect the accused's solicitor will be watching very closely for anything that prejudices their client's right to a fair trial. The Irish Mirror says he was arrested Friday.

And arrested isn't guilty yet. It just makes it easier to take statements. Has he been charged?

Interesting one, the name is easy to find, because British law isn't International law, but should we respect this British law, because, as you say it attempts to protects people who have not been charged, never mind found guilty of a terrible crime.

DaveLovesDee Jul 20th 2021 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by kimilseung (Post 13031419)
Interesting one, the name is easy to find, because British law isn't International law, but should we respect this British law, because, as you say it attempts to protects people who have not been charged, never mind found guilty of a terrible crime.

For me, it's a matter of personal choice. If people want the name, they'll find it.

It's unlikely any of us would ever see any consequences of naming the guy, but as a UK resident, I personally am holding off naming the player until the Police or UK media name him.

Former Lancastrian Jul 20th 2021 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 13031416)

According to one report I read he has been arrested but released on bail pending investigation. Normally the media won't release a name until charges laid as then it is a public record unless the court issues a media ban. As for naming him on a website such as this then I don't see a problem as this is not a media outlet.

DaveLovesDee Jul 20th 2021 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 13031435)
According to one report I read he has been arrested but released on bail pending investigation. Normally the media won't release a name until charges laid as then it is a public record unless the court issues a media ban. As for naming him on a website such as this then I don't see a problem as this is not a media outlet.

I agree. It's my personal choice not to.

Whether it's acceptable for here, that's not my problem.

SpoogleDrummer Jul 20th 2021 9:57 pm

Personally I don't think news of someone being arrested for something like this should even be released until they're found guilty. Regardless of whether he's innocent or not now the mud will stick for the rest of his life much like Michael Jackson.

DaveLovesDee Jul 20th 2021 10:18 pm

Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer (Post 13031451)
Personally I don't think news of someone being arrested for something like this should even be released until they're found guilty. Regardless of whether he's innocent or not now the mud will stick for the rest of his life much like Michael Jackson.

And that is definitely a very good point. Though sometimes, the name being released when they're charged can help other victims come forward. But there has to be a line drawn somewhere, and it definitely shouldn't be before charges are brought.

But in the age of the internet and social media, once the name is out there outside of the UK, it's impossible to stop with one of those super-injunctions, which in themselves makes people wonder what the person has to hide. The accused can't win either way.

And I can understand Everton has to be seen to be doing something by suspending him.

Former Lancastrian Jul 22nd 2021 11:16 pm

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/MYIq...02122_1.0.jpeg

Wow I didn't realize my 4 year old had entered a competition and won.

SpoogleDrummer Jul 23rd 2021 1:46 am

On the same day they release that kit there's rumours City are prepared to offer players plus cash for Kane with Sterling, Sliva, Jesus or Mahrez mentioned. Which of them would seriously consider moving to Spurs to be on less money, have less chance of winning anything and wear that kit?

civilservant Jul 23rd 2021 12:42 pm

Sancho deal confirmed:

https://www.theguardian.com/football...-from-dortmund

Apparently the Verane deal is on the verge of collapse because United want to pay $40 rather than $50m. I don't really understand why they waste so much time doing this, squabbling over what is a relatively small percentage of a transfer fee. We could have got Sancho last year for exactly the same reason.

Former Lancastrian Jul 24th 2021 5:30 pm

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's side handed wake-up call ahead of new season.

FFS Sky it was a friendly. Now lets see who wasn't playing. Neither DeGea or Henderson in goal. No Luke Shaw, Pogba, Maguire, Fernandez, Rashford, Sancho, Lindelof, Bailly, Fred, James, McTominay, Van Der Bench Warmer, Cavani & Martial.
Anyway OGS won't be that bothered seeing he has just signed a new 3 year contract with the option for another year and the reported 25 million will feed his kids for a couple of weeks.

https://www.skysports.com/football/q.../report/447335

Garbatellamike Jul 24th 2021 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer (Post 13032306)
On the same day they release that kit there's rumours City are prepared to offer players plus cash for Kane with Sterling, Sliva, Jesus or Mahrez mentioned. Which of them would seriously consider moving to Spurs to be on less money, have less chance of winning anything and wear that kit?

one can but hope it is Sterling

SpoogleDrummer Jul 25th 2021 12:01 am

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike (Post 13032946)
one can but hope it is Sterling

I'm certainly not his biggest fan but I can't see him being that stupid.

Garbatellamike Jul 25th 2021 9:23 am

Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer (Post 13033026)
I'm certainly not his biggest fan but I can't see him being that stupid.

you are most assuredly correct - unfortunately

Maste Jul 26th 2021 1:46 pm

As a Spurs fan, I don't see us getting anyone in - this is ridiculous but nothing new to us unfortunately. Glad Son decided to sign a new contract (for some bizarre reason, he really loves us!)

That new away kit - are we getting ready for some Space League now the billionaires are exploring space? Might be our only chance to win a trophy, some sort of intergalactic premier league (with just us in it to make sure we actually win it, and even then we will still somehow come second).

SpoogleDrummer Jul 26th 2021 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by Maste (Post 13033550)
As a Spurs fan, I don't see us getting anyone in - this is ridiculous but nothing new to us unfortunately. Glad Son decided to sign a new contract (for some bizarre reason, he really loves us!)

That new away kit - are we getting ready for some Space League now the billionaires are exploring space? Might be our only chance to win a trophy, some sort of intergalactic premier league (with just us in it to make sure we actually win it, and even then we will still somehow come second).

You've just signed a spanish winger and got rid of Lamela so that's all of the players you signed with the Bale money gone. Time to sell Kane and spaff that money up the wall too.

Former Lancastrian Jul 28th 2021 11:14 pm

30,000 for a friendly and no we weren't playing Barcelona, Real Madrid but Brentford.

SpoogleDrummer Jul 28th 2021 11:23 pm

I don't really see the benefit of friendlies when half the first team players are missing.

Former Lancastrian Jul 28th 2021 11:43 pm

Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer (Post 13034592)
I don't really see the benefit of friendlies when half the first team players are missing.

Supposed to give the manager a look at the fringe players to see if kept or sold, gets fitness levels up, cheaper tickets for the less fortunate so they can attend a game and producing 3 cracking goals like tonights friendly.