British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Locker Room (https://britishexpats.com/forum/locker-room-66/)
-   -   The 2021/22 Football Thread (https://britishexpats.com/forum/locker-room-66/2021-22-football-thread-938994/)

Scamp Aug 28th 2021 8:17 am

Re: The 2021/22 Football Thread

Originally Posted by Cainess (Post 13044711)
Allow me to wholeheartedly disagree; that was a foul all day, every day...Stephens knew exactly what he was doing, disgraceful non-decision from a ref completely out of his depth. :thumbdown:

However in the end we deserved nothing more than the point we got. Ole got his team selection wrong; NEVER should Matic and Fred ever start a game together, dreadful. He wasted Greenwood by shoving him out to the right to accommodate Martial, who is rustier than a metal bucket in the Titanic engine room... dreadful. We equalised and then went back to sleep and were lucky not to lose, great save from Dave off young Armstrong, who looks a right handful... a poor result if we hope to have any chance of challenging citeh & Chelsea for the title.

Saints look a decent side with some fight in them; Livramento looks like a great steal from Chelsea, could be Saints' RB for years to come.

As to FPL, this season is going to be full of difficult decisions, because there are at least 5 or 6 "premium" players but realistically you can only hope to afford two, maybe three.... if you choose the wrong ones, you're done for.... :ohmy: I desperately need Antonio to stay fit and on form, because Ings doesn't fill me with confidence right now.

With the greatest of respect, that's just big club fan stuff. Nobody from the other 14 have campaigns against or even remember who referees. It's only you and Mike that seem to think your clubs are singled out by specific referees :rofl:

Football is a full contact sport, if your club breeds divers and cheats then expect harder, committed tackles to be allowed by referees because your players spend too much time going down early, softly or falsely. It's sad and technically wrong, but it is what it is. Fernandes spends 85mins falling over and moaning or shouting at the referees (which I imagine most fans who moan about referees and accuse them of being bias don't mind players screaming and swearing at them) and 5mins being incredible.

You'll disagree with all of it, but that's football.

Livramento is basically Cafu as far as I'm concerned. Superb couple of performances, really great to see. I don't think we look good or solid but if we can get results like that (even though the United team selection was very weird) we at least might stay up.

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike (Post 13044901)
Mendy is a bit of a prat and is also very like TAA (loses the ball too much, can't defend and bangs in crosses more in hope than targeted) so we might be well shot of him - Cancelo can play LB with Zinchenko too so I'm half hoping this means we get rid....

Mendy is a bit of a prat?

Understatement of the year?

We all saw the news, right?

DaveLovesDee Aug 28th 2021 8:51 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 13045250)
We all saw the news, right?

Innocent until proven guilty, no matter how bad the optics are.

Garbatellamike Aug 28th 2021 9:41 am

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 13045263)

spot on Hooky if being a prat was imprisonable there are lots of footballers who'd be serving multiple life sentences....

As to Refs Scamp - Taylor is a shameless cheat the rest are just inept....

Garbatellamike Aug 28th 2021 12:08 pm

36 minutes gone and Arsenal fans are going home???????? WTF?

pommybird Aug 28th 2021 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike (Post 13045280)

Aaron Ramsdale has been relegated with Chesterfield, Bournemouth and Sheffield…..just putting it out there…..

Former Lancastrian Aug 28th 2021 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike (Post 13045280)

Going for a Bovril with a triple shot of brandy as its nearly half time :unsure:

scrubbedexpat099 Aug 28th 2021 1:17 pm

Any thoughts of the Arsenal Goal of the Month?

Scamp Aug 28th 2021 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 13045263)

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike (Post 13045267)
spot on Hooky if being a prat was imprisonable there are lots of footballers who'd be serving multiple life sentences....

As to Refs Scamp - Taylor is a shameless cheat the rest are just inept....

Sorry, I think being charged and remanded for multiple counts of rape is more than just being a ‘prat’. Accusations are one thing but this feels a little more serious

Former Lancastrian Aug 28th 2021 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 13045355)
Sorry, I think being charged and remanded for multiple counts of rape is more than just being a ‘prat’. Accusations are one thing but this feels a little more serious

Especially when bail denied. So what do we think of the new statues outside the Council House? Not your average bronze ones but galvanized steel pieces.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...va-Etihad.html

Wonder what the Kop think of Taylor now?

yellowroom Aug 28th 2021 7:44 pm

Thought of pommybird today as we hosted Bournemouth. Best team we’ve seen so far this season, they were unlucky not to score, but then so were we. Haven’t been this happy with a 0-0 score for a very long time.

DaveLovesDee Aug 28th 2021 7:50 pm

I fully agree it's more than being a prat. But, as I said, until he's convicted, he's still an alleged rapist. If the alleged bit isn't used when people discuss it, a smart and expensive lawyer could successfully argue that his/her client won't receive a fair trial, and the victims won't get justice.

BristolUK Aug 28th 2021 7:50 pm

General question after what we've seen of the new season so far.

All the reports about (foul) changes for this season that I saw made references to the high number of penalties last season so this time they were going to be considering various matters - level of contact, motive and so on - in the incident, effectively reducing the likelihood of buying (creating?) a foul.

I kind of expected it to be confined to the penalty area or, at least around the box, but it seems to apply all over the pitch. At least that's consistent but in some of the games it's become a bit of a free for all with blatant body checks, pushing and wrestling going unpunished.

But if the idea is to reduce 'soft' or non fouls, why the hell are defenders still getting free kicks for going down when they feel an opponents breath on their neck?

Garbatellamike Aug 28th 2021 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by pommybird (Post 13045290)
Aaron Ramsdale has been relegated with Chesterfield, Bournemouth and Sheffield…..just putting it out there…..

:rofl: well if they keep playing like that.................

Garbatellamike Aug 28th 2021 8:18 pm

Sorry - he is a complete prat full stop

Hooky is right about the innocent until proved guilty and him being a prat is incidental - apologies if I wasn't clear

DaveLovesDee Aug 28th 2021 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike (Post 13045267)
spot on Hooky

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike (Post 13045394)
Hooky is right about the innocent until proved guilty

Should I move to Switzerland and change my username to CAS?... :p