British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Locker Room (https://britishexpats.com/forum/locker-room-66/)
-   -   The 2021/22 Football Thread (https://britishexpats.com/forum/locker-room-66/2021-22-football-thread-938994/)

DaveLovesDee Jun 24th 2021 1:13 pm

Re: The 2021/22 Football Thread

Originally Posted by pommybird (Post 13020256)
Tell you what, I would have scored that penalty that Gareth missed the other day!

6th Nov - Bournemouth v Swansea.....

SpoogleDrummer Jun 24th 2021 9:04 pm

I'm honestly not sure how to feel about UEFA getting rid of the away goals rule, granted I don't think it should apply when a game goes to extra time but I haven't had any issues with it in normal time.

civilservant Jun 24th 2021 9:18 pm

I don't have a problem with it disappearing, although I do think that it is further entrenching the dominance of the big boys. Smaller teams can no longer go away in a first leg and settle for a score draw, hoping to shut up shop and keep a clean sheet at home to progress on AG.

BristolUK Jun 24th 2021 10:21 pm

Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer (Post 13021553)
I'm honestly not sure how to feel about UEFA getting rid of the away goals rule, granted I don't think it should apply when a game goes to extra time but I haven't had any issues with it in normal time.

It's a strange thing isn't it. It seems an unfair advantage for the away team - and it is - but then if there's no further scoring (or it's still level) the advantage might switch back to the home team - because they are, well, at home. Although the end at which the penalties are held can also disadvantage one team over the other.

But now that they are doing away with it, the potential advantage of being the away team in ET has swung to being an advantage to the home team.

The away goal is great when your team gets it while it can be devastating when the other team gets it. But it does make for great matches.

I've always felt that going out because it was 1-1 at home and 0-0 away (or 2-1 at home and 0-1 away) was a bit of an injustice. But it is the same for both teams - so long as the away goal is in regular time - so it's a fair opportunity for both teams.

But anything that reduces the chances of the abomination that is a penalty shoot out is fine in my book. Well, not anything...not a tie-breaker including corners or hit the woodwork or anything like that. :lol:

If not an away goal, how about, say, a third goal tie breaker (or highest goals)? Regardless if it was home or away eg a 3-2 win beats a 2-1 defeat. A 3-1 win beats a 2-0 defeat. It won't break all the tied scores but some is better than none and it is the next tie breaker in regular football if goal difference doesn't do it so the method is already established.

DaveLovesDee Jun 24th 2021 10:38 pm

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 13021581)
It's a strange thing isn't it. It seems an unfair advantage for the away team - and it is - but then if there's no further scoring (or it's still level) the advantage might switch back to the home team - because they are, well, at home. Although the end at which the penalties are held can also disadvantage one team over the other.

But now that they are doing away with it, the potential advantage of being the away team in ET has swung to being an advantage to the home team.

The away goal is great when your team gets it while it can be devastating when the other team gets it. But it does make for great matches.

I've always felt that going out because it was 1-1 at home and 0-0 away (or 2-1 at home and 0-1 away) was a bit of an injustice. But it is the same for both teams - so long as the away goal is in regular time - so it's a fair opportunity for both teams.

But anything that reduces the chances of the abomination that is a penalty shoot out is fine in my book. Well, not anything...not a tie-breaker including corners or hit the woodwork or anything like that. :lol:

If not an away goal, how about, say, a third goal tie breaker (or highest goals)? Regardless if it was home or away eg a 3-2 win beats a 2-1 defeat. A 3-1 win beats a 2-0 defeat. It won't break all the tied scores but some is better than none and it is the next tie breaker in regular football if goal difference doesn't do it so the method is already established.

I think maybe it's time to try the Golden Goal or Silver Goal of the early 2000s again....

Former Lancastrian Jun 24th 2021 11:38 pm

Wonder if the FA will have a fly over of Spitfires, Lancaster Bombers and Hurricanes etc before the kick off with Germany or would this be construed as bad taste?

BristolUK Jun 25th 2021 12:20 am

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 13021589)
I think maybe it's time to try the Golden Goal or Silver Goal of the early 2000s again....

I never did like that either. The whole thing in football is one team scores, the other team gets a go. One team at home then it's the other team. One team plays one way first half and then they change ends.

At least with "next goal wins" it's still football but there's a potential advantage to the team starting the period involved. Better than penalties but just against the principles.

Nobody will convince me that most times they can't have a replay of some form.

A couple of years ago an England match was rained off. I forget where it was, but it was all rearranged for next day.
We just had an in tournament example - where there is supposedly less time for such things - where the match could have been completed next day.

In international tournaments there's a whole alternative 11 available to play. Let them play 30 minutes each way or a game next day instead of extra time between two knackered teams playing out the time for penalties.

None of this reducing the number of players on the pitch malarkey, make teams pick different players. If they're allowed 12 players on the bench then they can make a team of non starters.

Just make some provisional arrangements if the same venue isn't available for whatever reason.

BristolUK Jun 25th 2021 12:21 am

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 13021620)
Wonder if the FA will have a fly over of Spitfires, Lancaster Bombers and Hurricanes etc before the kick off with Germany or would this be construed as bad taste?

They can just leave it to the nutters who will, no doubt, be encouraged by The Sun on the day of the match.

Scamp Jun 25th 2021 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 13021620)

I think, frankly, any German with a brain would smile smugly at the state of the UK if that were to happen.

But the average skinhead, shirtless England fan from up North would have a fully erect button mushroom dick I expect.

Former Lancastrian Jun 25th 2021 2:08 pm

FA threatening to ban England fans who are caught singing the The 10 German Bombers song inside the stadium. No news on what the fans face if found singing 5-1 and even Heskey scored.
Luckily my club has adopted the club bigger than country so chances are you won't see any St Georges flags with MUFC on them. Strange creatures those England fans you will see them congregated together displaying their flags with their teams names on them hugging etc etc but a week later beating the shit out of each other when some of those teams play each other.

DaveLovesDee Jun 27th 2021 11:47 am

Looks like Everton and Bournemouth are getting their new managers. Games against each of their respective former clubs could be entertaining... :p

Rafael Benitez: Everton set to appoint former Liverpool manager as Carlo Ancelotti's replacement

and...

Scott Parker to leave Fulham within next 48 hours before joining Bournemouth as head coach

pommybird Jun 27th 2021 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 13022466)
Looks like Everton and Bournemouth are getting their new managers. Games against each of their respective former clubs could be entertaining... :p

Rafael Benitez: Everton set to appoint former Liverpool manager as Carlo Ancelotti's replacement

and...

Scott Parker to leave Fulham within next 48 hours before joining Bournemouth as head coach

Yes been hearing about Scotty coming to DC, quite pleased about it too. If they can just hang on to some of their decent players they might be in for a good season, so looking forward to going back to the 'stadium' (shed) to watch them play.

SpoogleDrummer Jun 27th 2021 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 13022466)

and...

I don't think too many Liverpool fans will be upset by Rafa joining Everton, going to Chelsea did more damage to his relationship with the fans but his support of the Hillsborough campaign and the fact he still lives in Liverpool mean it's completely understandable. Plus it annoys Everton fans.

Garbatellamike Jun 29th 2021 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 13021638)
A couple of years ago an England match was rained off. I forget where it was, but it was all rearranged for next day.

I was there - Poland

Most of the England fans had to fly back so missed the game

BristolUK Jun 30th 2021 3:12 pm

Animosity towards Benítez has spilled over into personal abuse on banners left outside Goodison Park, and another placed near his family home in Wirral warned: “We know where you live”, although it was put outside the wrong house.
:rofl:

DaveLovesDee Jul 4th 2021 7:27 am

And good luck to Nuno Espirito Santo on becoming Spurs manager. And he's going to need it.

Kane's going to be even more of a target of every club with deep pockets over the summer. I suggest they take the money and use it to fix the defence.

Nuno Espirito Santo's Tottenham aims: A mounting in-tray at a club already enduring a tough summer

Scamp Jul 4th 2021 8:49 am

It's coming home.

DaveLovesDee Jul 4th 2021 8:58 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 13025351)
It's coming home.

#DoItForEriksen #Denmark

It'd be nice to see England win it, even if it does bring out all the glory-hunting muppets, but I'm giving Denmark my sympathy vote, in part because it would have been Wales there instead of Denmark if we'd played better.

Scamp Jul 4th 2021 9:05 am

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 13025352)
#DoItForEriksen #Denmark

It'd be nice to see England win it, even if it does bring out all the glory-hunting muppets, but I'm giving Denmark my sympathy vote, in part because it would have been Wales there instead of Denmark if we'd played better.

The narrative is set for Denmark but I hope we beat them 3-0. Professional, clinical and maximum amount of belief and hope to go into a final we'll lose 2-1 against Italy.

DaveLovesDee Jul 7th 2021 3:57 pm

Fantasy Premier League is back. I've made my provisional team for now, ready to tinker with before the first matchweek.

Looks like the players have risen in value again, but still no rise in team value, so I struggled to get 2 £10 mil+ players in the squad at the moment.

Scamp Jul 8th 2021 8:22 am

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 13026904)
Fantasy Premier League is back. I've made my provisional team for now, ready to tinker with before the first matchweek.

Looks like the players have risen in value again, but still no rise in team value, so I struggled to get 2 £10 mil+ players in the squad at the moment.

I can give you lessons if you want?

#reigningchampScamp

Former Lancastrian Jul 8th 2021 10:16 am

So Scamp where will Saint Danny of Ing's being playing next season or is he no longer a Saint? Refused a 4 year contract to make him the highest payed Saints player ever?

Scamp Jul 8th 2021 10:19 am

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 13027187)
So Scamp where will Saint Danny of Ing's being playing next season or is he no longer a Saint? Refused a 4 year contract to make him the highest payed Saints player ever?

To be fair, the highest paid Saints player is probably the equivalent of a 17yr old boot cleaner at Man Utd. I'd be amazed if our offer was even close to 100k a week.

I think he'll be at Spuds. I also think he needs to be careful that he spent ages celebrating being back at his boyhood club and kissing the badge etc, only to now think he's too good for us, despite spending the whole season injured. He had his chance with Liverpool and it failed. Leaving Saints for Villa or Everton is like leaving your 18 stone wife for her 17 stone Sister.

Former Lancastrian Jul 8th 2021 10:37 am

Now if he was demanding the same wages as the tea lady at OT then maybe he is a bit delusional. At 28 and with 2 major knee operations is he as marketable as he seems to think he is? Time will tell and somebody needs to remind him that 75 grand a week is 2 years salary for some.

Scamp Jul 8th 2021 11:00 am

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 13027193)
Now if he was demanding the same wages as the tea lady at OT then maybe he is a bit delusional. At 28 and with 2 major knee operations is he as marketable as he seems to think he is? Time will tell and somebody needs to remind him that 75 grand a week is 2 years salary for some.

It's all a bit strange. I don't get where it's come from to be fair. I know we're shit but he's the one who makes us not shit. He could make us better.

That all being said, I wouldn't blame anyone for wanting to leave the owners we have.

Former Lancastrian Jul 9th 2021 10:50 am

So Amazon and Arsenal are doing the next All or Nothing series. Who's betting it will end up in Nothing?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...cumentary.html

SpoogleDrummer Jul 11th 2021 11:43 pm

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 13027545)
So Amazon and Arsenal are doing the next All or Nothing series. Who's betting it will end up in Nothing?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...cumentary.html

Have they even bought anyone in to strengthen their side? I know they let David Luiz go and whilst that is progress it's not enough to challenge for anything.

DaveLovesDee Jul 12th 2021 1:20 am

Same old racist minority of assholes.....

Neither Saka, Sancho nor Rashford deserve this abuse.

And Ozil was criticised for saying so at the time, but this is also true.

civilservant Jul 12th 2021 11:20 am

Well that's the EUROs put to bed. Time for the checkbooks to come out.

Is Kane staying? Is he going? Who would actually want to spunk $120m+ on him when for only $30m more you can get Haaland whos about 6 years younger?

Garbatellamike Jul 12th 2021 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 13026904)

thanks mate - I have renewed the League so those of us who played last year will be in automatically.

Anyone else want to join?

Oh and congrats to Scamp the Champ

SpoogleDrummer Jul 12th 2021 3:34 pm

So after all the praise Southgate has been given over the last month I have to ask how many of you would swap your current manager for him or even be fine with him being a candidate to replace your manager should your manager just leave? Personally I wouldn't want him anywhere near the Liverpool job and don't think he's any better than Mark Hughes or Steve Bruce so belongs in the Championship at best.

Former Lancastrian Jul 12th 2021 4:00 pm

I think managing the National team is certainly different to managing a club team be it EPL, Championship or other.
Manager of the National team has the luxury of playing any player who qualifies by citizenship. Doesn't have to worry about availability of players when named to the squad. Has the backing of the FA.

Club manager has limited players to pick from squad. Has to ask owners for transfer funds so he can buy players he would like but advantage of that is player doesn't need to be English. Disadvantage is competing with other clubs around the world.

Would Southgate be welcomed at OT then I think most would say No to him.

BristolUK Jul 12th 2021 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 13028514)
I think managing the National team is certainly different to managing a club team be it EPL, Championship or other..

I agree but not for any of the reasons mentioned. In fact I'd say in some cases the opposite applied - the luxury of picking qualified players? I suppose you could say there are more 'qualified' players available to pick from than in a typical 30-40 man squad of a club but more doesn't mean easier and it's a hell of a lot harder to check on ability and form of players at a variety of clubs than just your own, with the occasional check on a potential transfer target.

But the time you have with the players; not much getting to know the individual players; the problem of their role for you being different to that at their club; although they are required to be made available they are often not...just some of the things that make it quite different.

Garbatellamike Jul 13th 2021 11:21 am

Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer (Post 13028498)
So after all the praise Southgate has been given over the last month I have to ask how many of you would swap your current manager for him or even be fine with him being a candidate to replace your manager should your manager just leave? Personally I wouldn't want him anywhere near the Liverpool job and don't think he's any better than Mark Hughes or Steve Bruce so belongs in the Championship at best.

Swap Pep for Garth????????????????????????????????????????????? ??????????????????????????????????????

put me down as a no

BristolUK Jul 14th 2021 5:21 pm

The Football world was rocked to its foundations with the announcement that Lionel Messi has a new contract with Barcelona.
That's sarcasm by the way. :whistle:

Deal structured to help club with financial fair play

Barcelona are close to announcing that Lionel Messi has signed a contract to continue with the club. The 34-year-old has agreed a five-year deal rather than initial two-year extension that had been discussed.The contract is structured to help the club stay within the boundaries of La Liga’s financial fair play regulations. Messi is taking a significant salary cut but bonuses have been worked in and he is due to earn less this coming season than he will the season after as Barcelona wrestle with their finances.

There is an acceptance that Messi may not see out his contract given that he will be approaching his 39th birthday when the final season of the deal ends. This, too, has been factored into the financial arrangement.
Is it just me or does this sound like his annual wage will keep the club within fair play boundaries but that he'll really be earning five years of pay over two years of playing and it won't be a pay cut when that's factored in?

DaveLovesDee Jul 14th 2021 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 13029338)
The Football world was rocked to its foundations with the announcement that Lionel Messi has a new contract with Barcelona.
That's sarcasm by the way. :whistle:

Deal structured to help club with financial fair play

Is it just me or does this sound like his annual wage will keep the club within fair play boundaries but that he'll really be earning five years of pay over two years of playing and it won't be a pay cut when that's factored in?

Sounds like it...

Former Lancastrian Jul 14th 2021 10:16 pm

I wish the Government would say to me work for us for another 2 years but we will pay you for 5. Mmmmm give me a nano second to think about that.

DaveLovesDee Jul 14th 2021 10:23 pm

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 13029459)
I wish the Government would say to me work for us for another 2 years but we will pay you for 5. Mmmmm give me a nano second to think about that.

You'd need to become a Cabinet Minister for that :p

Former Lancastrian Jul 14th 2021 11:17 pm

Do we now update the Ole's at the wheel chant?

We've got Sancho, Paul Pogba and Fred
Marcus Rashford's a Manc born and bred (red)

SpoogleDrummer Jul 14th 2021 11:29 pm

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 13029478)
Do we now update the Ole's at the wheel chant?

We've got Sancho, Paul Pogba and Fred
Marcus Rashford's a Manc born and bred (red)

None of them play for free,
Or can take a penalty.