British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Locker Room (https://britishexpats.com/forum/locker-room-66/)
-   -   The 2021/22 Football Thread (https://britishexpats.com/forum/locker-room-66/2021-22-football-thread-938994/)

DaveLovesDee Sep 1st 2021 11:44 am

Re: The 2021/22 Football Thread

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike (Post 13046708)
He has been a disappointment tbh - gives the ball away in dangerous positions far far too often

More disappointing is his allegedly giving his balls where they're not wanted.....

Garbatellamike Sep 1st 2021 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 13046719)
More disappointing is his allegedly giving his balls where they're not wanted.....

I shouldn't laugh at that but did

civilservant Sep 2nd 2021 9:28 pm

https://www.theguardian.com/football...edinson-cavani

Well that settles that. CR7 it is.

No surprise the PL have dispensation with his brand and the value that his presence has to the marketability of the PL.

DaveLovesDee Sep 3rd 2021 8:32 pm

The player was 14, and an Arsenal Academy player at the time. Should he be punished for something that happened 9 years ago as a teen? I suspect many 14 year olds were assholes at some point in those days.

I'm not excusing what he did, but why are the FA looking at it now? Did someone make a complaint? I suspect had Arsene known about it at the time, he had a word or three.....

Former Lancastrian Sep 3rd 2021 9:49 pm

I tend to think it is the FA now being seen to be doing something about the online racism and they think that future youth/senior players might get the message that future tweets will be dealt with. Yes we know not much will come of it but it is a start. Yes I probably said a lot of nasty things when I was 14 but sometimes the only way to stop this is to have actual proceedings taken against individuals. When kids perceive there are no consequences for their behaviour then they carry on doing it. Hopefully todays education system instills in all kids regardless of background that racism and insulting behaviour is wrong.
Act swiftly and stronger and hope that this type of abuse decreases as we will never erase it.

DaveLovesDee Sep 3rd 2021 10:08 pm

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 13047642)
I tend to think it is the FA now being seen to be doing something about the online racism and they think that future youth/senior players might get the message that future tweets will be dealt with. Yes we know not much will come of it but it is a start. Yes I probably said a lot of nasty things when I was 14 but sometimes the only way to stop this is to have actual proceedings taken against individuals. When kids perceive there are no consequences for their behaviour then they carry on doing it. Hopefully todays education system instills in all kids regardless of background that racism and insulting behaviour is wrong.
Act swiftly and stronger and hope that this type of abuse decreases as we will never erase it.

It's a shame Roy Keane didn't get charged with bringing the game into disrepute after admitting intent on the challenge on Haaland.....

scrubbedexpat099 Sep 3rd 2021 11:42 pm

The age of criminal responsibility in the uk is 10

DaveLovesDee Sep 4th 2021 5:35 am

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 13047662)
The age of criminal responsibility in the uk is 10

Yes, so what did the CPS charge him with?

If he wasn't a footballer, the FA wouldn't be able to do anything to him. And the story only broke because Middlesborough fans (the club he plays for now) brought it onto social media.

Garbatellamike Sep 4th 2021 9:57 am

Originally Posted by civilservant (Post 13047214)

No surprise the PL have dispensation with his brand and the value that his presence has to the marketability of the PL.

hmmmm I think that might be a little overstated - Cavani has agreed to wear 21 and Ronaldo has 7 not sure how that affects marketability in any way... The shirt sellers will make a fair bit of money though

DaveLovesDee Sep 4th 2021 10:50 am

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike (Post 13047761)
hmmmm I think that might be a little overstated - Cavani has agreed to wear 21 and Ronaldo has 7 not sure how that affects marketability in any way... The shirt sellers will make a fair bit of money though

CR7 is already a global brand.

Former Lancastrian Sep 4th 2021 11:45 am

If I was Cavani I would be marketing that I am 3 x times better than Ronaldo. I wonder how much Ronaldo offered Cavani for the #7 shirt or did Cavani out of the goodness of his heart give it him back. FFS it's just a shirt number although some will say the #7 at MUFC is iconic considering those names that have worn it. Alexis Sanchez, Memphis Depay, Angel Di Maria, Michael Owen have all worn the #7 shirt and all legends at Man Utd:sneaky:

BristolUK Sep 4th 2021 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 13047775)

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...8107fd41e0.png

Garbatellamike Sep 4th 2021 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 13047775)

I know - that's not the point though

Garbatellamike Sep 4th 2021 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 13047802)
FFS it's just a shirt number

exactly right

Former Lancastrian Sep 4th 2021 10:09 pm

Allegedly Mendy is on the subs bench for HMP Altcourse as they entertain HMP Brixton in the UK Jail Premier League. HMP Belmarsh have requested that their upcoming game against HMP Parkhurst be cancelled as 4 of their players are currently in solitary and cannot travel.

Garbatellamike Sep 4th 2021 10:41 pm

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 13048020)
Allegedly Mendy is on the subs bench for HMP Altcourse as they entertain HMP Brixton in the UK Jail Premier League. HMP Belmarsh have requested that their upcoming game against HMP Parkhurst be cancelled as 4 of their players are currently in solitary and cannot travel.

I'm getting a bit worries about your familiarity with the prison system - you sure you aren't scouse or have scouse relatives? ;):scarper:

Former Lancastrian Sep 4th 2021 11:00 pm

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike (Post 13048030)
I'm getting a bit worries about your familiarity with the prison system - you sure you aren't scouse or have scouse relatives? ;):scarper:

No need to worry as my familiarity with the prison system stems from when I was a copper in the UK and perhaps the odd scouser may have been imprisoned at Her Majesty's Pleasure due to being arrested by me.

Garbatellamike Sep 4th 2021 11:03 pm

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 13048034)
No need to worry as my familiarity with the prison system stems from when I was a copper in the UK and perhaps the odd scouser may have been imprisoned at Her Majesty's Pleasure due to being arrested by me.

phew

Scamp Sep 5th 2021 6:43 am

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 13047609)
https://twitter.com/PaddySisyphus/st...58818526650392

The player was 14, and an Arsenal Academy player at the time. Should he be punished for something that happened 9 years ago as a teen? I suspect many 14 year olds were assholes at some point in those days.

I'm not excusing what he did, but why are the FA looking at it now? Did someone make a complaint? I suspect had Arsene known about it at the time, he had a word or three.....

I understand people should be held to account but it seems a bit over the top. It's like we don't think people can learn, grow and understand things better as they progress through life.

Sold a higher number of shirts, quicker, than any other athlete in any sport in the history of the game.

SpoogleDrummer Sep 5th 2021 7:15 am

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 13047609)
https://twitter.com/PaddySisyphus/st...58818526650392

I don't understand how they can prove it was him. All they have to do is say someone else must've had access to the account and there's no chance the FA can prove otherwise.

Garbatellamike Sep 5th 2021 9:05 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 13048086)
Sold a higher number of shirts, quicker, than any other athlete in any sport in the history of the game.

Yes but that's not about marketability of the PL brand it is about huge profit for the shirt makers and some profit for the club - he is an even better shirt salesman than Beckham was (and a much better footballer too) - but i remain to be convinced of the original point that him having number 7 enhances the EPL's marketability... it is a just an effing shirt number!!!!!!

The EPL already has some of the best players in the world Virgil VD, Bruno Fernandes and KdB to name but 3.

Garbatellamike Sep 5th 2021 9:08 am

Originally Posted by civilservant (Post 13047214)

This is the point I remain to be convinced is valid - I entirely agree with the points made by Hooky and Scampi above

Scamp Sep 5th 2021 9:43 am

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike (Post 13048119)
Yes but that's not about marketability of the PL brand it is about huge profit for the shirt makers and some profit for the club - he is an even better shirt salesman than Beckham was (and a much better footballer too) - but i remain to be convinced of the original point that him having number 7 enhances the EPL's marketability... it is a just an effing shirt number!!!!!!

The EPL already has some of the best players in the world Virgil VD, Bruno Fernandes and KdB to name but 3.

Wasn't interested in this discussion at first to be honest, but I'll chip in because I think he will enhance the PL brand.

I think he's one of the most famous humans on earth. I guarantee you, in the mall this weekend I'll see nippers and adults with Ronaldo's United shirt on, guarantee it. Just like there were hoards of Messi Barca and Ronaldo Madrid (and Juve) shirts here. Football fans from the GCC are loose at best, most support the fame or success only. There's bars dedicated to Man City in Abu Dhabi and obviously good support there but nothing will outstrip the Messi Barca shirt or the Ronaldo ones to be fair.

Therefore, Ronaldo in the Prem brings even more attention from all corners of the globe from kids and adults who idolise him. I'm thrilled he's back, I'll make an effort to watch United's games just to see him tear the likes of Jack Stephens apart. I was low key gutted when Messi bottled it and went to France, it's a tin pot shit league and a total waste of his talent for 40 or the 50+ games they're going to have this season. Still, it's going to have an impact on their league I imagine.

Salah is a huge draw, the number of Egyptians here who 'support' Liverpool because of him is insane. All will freely admit they used to support someone else (Chelsea when he was there is often the case) before. Almost none even know who Southampton are....yet they'll tell you they watch all the games etc.

Ronaldo will only serve to enhance the Premier Leagues status, reputation, promotion, whatever you want to call it as 'the best league in the world'.

Garbatellamike Sep 5th 2021 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 13048133)
Wasn't interested in this discussion at first to be honest, but I'll chip in because I think he will enhance the PL brand.

I think he's one of the most famous humans on earth. I guarantee you, in the mall this weekend I'll see nippers and adults with Ronaldo's United shirt on, guarantee it. Just like there were hoards of Messi Barca and Ronaldo Madrid (and Juve) shirts here. Football fans from the GCC are loose at best, most support the fame or success only. There's bars dedicated to Man City in Abu Dhabi and obviously good support there but nothing will outstrip the Messi Barca shirt or the Ronaldo ones to be fair.

Therefore, Ronaldo in the Prem brings even more attention from all corners of the globe from kids and adults who idolise him. I'm thrilled he's back, I'll make an effort to watch United's games just to see him tear the likes of Jack Stephens apart. I was low key gutted when Messi bottled it and went to France, it's a tin pot shit league and a total waste of his talent for 40 or the 50+ games they're going to have this season. Still, it's going to have an impact on their league I imagine.

Salah is a huge draw, the number of Egyptians here who 'support' Liverpool because of him is insane. All will freely admit they used to support someone else (Chelsea when he was there is often the case) before. Almost none even know who Southampton are....yet they'll tell you they watch all the games etc.

Ronaldo will only serve to enhance the Premier Leagues status, reputation, promotion, whatever you want to call it as 'the best league in the world'.

some good points in there mate - quite insightful

Garbatellamike Sep 5th 2021 4:05 pm

I see the England manager is trying the world's worst full back in MF - good thinking Mr S

Garbatellamike Sep 5th 2021 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike (Post 13048247)
I see the England manager is trying the world's worst full back in MF

On reflection that's a bit harsh - he is better than Mendy

DaveLovesDee Sep 5th 2021 4:53 pm

I see the England manager is trying the world's worst full back in MF - good thinking Mr S

Makes sense...

It's easier to slot a better player in behind a crap one than in front.

But he might surprise us all.

DaveLovesDee Sep 5th 2021 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike (Post 13048253)
On reflection that's a bit harsh - he is better than Mendy

Mendy can't play for England... Or anyone else right now :p

Garbatellamike Sep 5th 2021 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 13048274)
Mendy can't play for England... Or anyone else right now :p

I think he can play for VP Wing vs A Wing:rofl:

Former Lancastrian Sep 5th 2021 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike (Post 13048281)

I tend to think there would be quite a lot of red cards in that match.

Garbatellamike Sep 5th 2021 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 13048287)
I tend to think there would be quite a lot of red cards in that match.

I tend to think you are quite probably correct in that thought

DaveLovesDee Sep 5th 2021 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike (Post 13048281)

There's a reason some inmates are kept away from others in prison... And that would include anything where the VP could be 'accidentally' or intentionally injured....

Garbatellamike Sep 5th 2021 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 13048305)
There's a reason some inmates are kept away from others in prison... And that would include anything where the VP could be 'accidentally' or intentionally injured....

I'm sure you are correct - it was an attempt at humour

DaveLovesDee Sep 5th 2021 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike (Post 13048311)
I'm sure you are correct - it was an attempt at humour

I got that...:p

BristolUK Sep 5th 2021 7:42 pm

Fun and games at the Brazil-Argentina qualifier right now.

https://www.theguardian.com/football...qualifier-live

Scamp Sep 6th 2021 8:30 am

You really don't rate TAA do you. :rofl:

I think he was always going to move forward to be fair.

DaveLovesDee Sep 6th 2021 10:22 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 13048446)
You really don't rate TAA do you. :rofl:

I think he was always going to move forward to be fair.

Oh, I thought he was talking about Phil Jones... :p

Former Lancastrian Sep 8th 2021 12:14 pm

Another WTF

Liverpool, Manchester City, Manchester United and Chelsea are among the hardest hit after 10 Premier League stars from South America were banned from playing this weekend - despite them skipping the international break to stay in England.

The Brazilian FA are leading the South American nations taking revenge for clubs blocking their players from travelling to 'red-list' countries, by imposing a 'five-day restriction' on the players they called up, even though they did not fly.

Mmmmm so these players stayed in England but the Brazilian FA have banned them from playing this weekend. Makes perfect sense to me.

Bonus for Yernited as Fred cant play :sneaky:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...g-weekend.html

civilservant Sep 8th 2021 12:34 pm

How enforceable is a BFA decision on a foreign blub anyway? This isn't a doping ban we are talking about, and it isn't a FIFA ban either.

DaveLovesDee Sep 8th 2021 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by civilservant (Post 13049224)
How enforceable is a BFA decision on a foreign club anyway? This isn't a doping ban we are talking about, and it isn't a FIFA ban either.

I don't think it is enforceable on clubs, but it's political posturing for their media and Brazil fans.