British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Locker Room (https://britishexpats.com/forum/locker-room-66/)
-   -   The 2020-21 Football Thread (https://britishexpats.com/forum/locker-room-66/2020-21-football-thread-934438/)

Garbatellamike Jan 28th 2021 9:10 pm

Re: The 2020-21 Football Thread

Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer (Post 12965440)
We certainly played a little better than we have been but I'd have to say that was more a case of Spurs making some shocking defensive errors than us creating good chances.

yeah share that assessment

SpoogleDrummer Jan 28th 2021 9:14 pm

Looks like West Ham have signed Lingard making them weaker and Manchester United stronger.

BristolUK Jan 28th 2021 9:26 pm

Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer (Post 12965448)
Looks like West Ham have signed Lingard making them weaker and Manchester United stronger.

That could come back to bite you on the bum on Sunday. :ohmy:

DaveLovesDee Jan 29th 2021 12:43 am

Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer (Post 12965448)

It's a loan deal til the end of the season, according to the news....

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 12965453)
That could come back to bite you on the bum on Sunday. :ohmy:

If it's a loan deal, he can't play in the PL against his parent club....

On-loan players are forbidden to play against their parent club in the Premier League. They are, however allowed to play against their parent club in domestic cup competitions, unless they have already featured in the competition for their former side. This rule is called being cup-tied.

SpoogleDrummer Jan 29th 2021 1:22 am

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12965484)

It's us that play West Ham, not United. I'd be amazed if he's match fit though so doubt he'll play. If we drop points against West Ham then it will be down to us being poor again rather than them being brilliant.

DaveLovesDee Jan 29th 2021 9:57 am

Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer (Post 12965486)
It's us that play West Ham, not United. I'd be amazed if he's match fit though so doubt he'll play. If we drop points against West Ham then it will be down to us being poor again rather than them being brilliant.

Apologies, my bad...

We play Utd this weekend. I really need to remember what week it is.

BristolUK Jan 29th 2021 11:26 am

Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer (Post 12965486)

I imagine he'll be on the bench and good for 10-15 minutes.

When I say 'good' I mean fit enough, rather than good. It's a long time since he's been good. :lol: But he might be again. Change of scenery and all that.

And who knows...one of his top right curlers? :eek:

DaveLovesDee Jan 29th 2021 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 12965583)
And who knows...one of his top right curlers? :eek:

Into his own goal :p

Garbatellamike Jan 29th 2021 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12965553)
We play Utd this weekend. I really need to remember what week it is.

we also have Utd this weekend but unfortunately it's the more in form of the 2 Utds who played mid week :p much rather have the other lot from Stretford as that Sheffield lot looked much better :scarper:

Former Lancastrian Jan 29th 2021 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike (Post 12965645)
we also have Utd this weekend but unfortunately it's the more in form of the 2 Utds who played mid week :p much rather have the other lot from Stretford as that Sheffield lot looked much better :scarper:

So what's the bet that Citeh are 3 up at half time? We go away to a team that has got 16 points out of 18 since Xmas there again we are away so anything could happen. Now that Lingard looks like he is on his way to East London when not playing he could set up a market stall and try to flog his clothing line. Obviously Klopp doesn't realize that clubs are losing money and has stated there are no 80 million centre backs available at the moment. So no Kane for a few weeks so looks like Spurs title aspirations are now well and truly over. I am pretty sure Citeh will function quite nicely even without KdB. More time for him to prepare if Harry and Marv show up while he is Home Alone.

Garbatellamike Jan 30th 2021 11:18 am

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 12965674)
So what's the bet that Citeh are 3 up at half time? We go away to a team that has got 16 points out of 18 since Xmas there again we are away so anything could happen. Now that Lingard looks like he is on his way to East London when not playing he could set up a market stall and try to flog his clothing line. Obviously Klopp doesn't realize that clubs are losing money and has stated there are no 80 million centre backs available at the moment. So no Kane for a few weeks so looks like Spurs title aspirations are now well and truly over. I am pretty sure Citeh will function quite nicely even without KdB. More time for him to prepare if Harry and Marv show up while he is Home Alone.

I had to google Harry and Marv :o very good

Hope you are right and we still have Rhodri, Fernandinho, Ferran, Sterling, Mahrez, Bernado, Gundo, Foden to fill the midfield slots plus the likes of Cole Palmer and Tommy Doyle (both Manchester born) might get some time. That said KdB is one of the best midfielders in the world so will be missed.

I also think you are spot on about Lingaard and distractions with clothing line etc.

Garbatellamike Jan 30th 2021 12:24 pm

well HT - that was a good 25 minutes of football punctuated by 20 minutes of lying on the ground feigning injury - get up you big jessies!

Geordies looking better than last week but still think Blue Scouse will win it.

Garbatellamike Jan 30th 2021 3:59 pm

Not a great game or performance that but 1-0 is a win and 3 points - 75% possession but didn't do much with it. Limited them to one real chance so solid defensively without Stones and Cancelo who got a day off as did Sterling and Mahrez.

And now "GOOOOONERS!!!!!!" I'm temporarily an Aresenal fan :p

SpoogleDrummer Jan 30th 2021 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike (Post 12966051)
Limited them to one real chance so solid defensively without Stones and Cancelo who got a day off

I just looked at the City back 4 and it had Dias and Laporte in it, so who is the first choice back line now then? Has Laporte fallen down the pecking order?

Garbatellamike Jan 30th 2021 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer (Post 12966053)
I just looked at the City back 4 and it had Dias and Laporte in it, so who is the first choice back line now then? Has Laporte fallen down the pecking order?

Laporte on his way back from injury so can't tell at moment - with Stones, Dias, Laporte and Ake (injured at mo) we have 4 good centre backs so much so Barcelona want our 5th choice Garcia.

It will be interesting to see if Stones, Dias and Laporte all play in a back 3 in away games in Europe - got to be an option.

Currently our best back 4 is Walker, Dias, Stones/Laporte and Cancelo at LB or you could go Cancelo Dias Stones Ake or .....

Bottom line is Dias, for a youngster, has been outstanding - I think that's 13 clean sheets since he joined and only 7 conceded in 16 games oh and 12 league wins on the bounce

Anyway looking forward to the next game should be exciting watch