Go Back  British Expats > General > The Locker Room
Reload this Page >

The 2020-21 Football Thread

The 2020-21 Football Thread

Old Oct 13th 2020, 11:25 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The 2020-21 Football Thread

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee View Post
I see it lining the pockets of the board....

Some clubs will invest it in players, but those clubs are usually decently-run in the first place... Like all businesses, a club's primary duty is to maximise profit for it's shareholders, and spending enough money to ensure a top-six finish in the PL or EFL probably isn't on a shareholder's list of priorities.......

Of course, there'll be players wanting a bigger pay packet, but every club has had at least one potential mercenary player.
I think one of the reason the Red Scouse owners are involved is to help fund a new stadium... they have included a 150m bung to Spurs in the proposal to help pay off their stadium debt in an effor tto buy their vote...

It's crooked and very Glazer/Fenway behavoiur - it if isn't technically illegal it should be..

just plain wrong
Old Oct 13th 2020, 11:34 pm
So long...

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike View Post
I think one of the reason the Red Scouse owners are involved is to help fund a new stadium... they have included a 150m bung to Spurs in the proposal to help pay off their stadium debt in an effort to buy their vote...

It's crooked and very Glazer/Fenway behavoiur - it if isn't technically illegal it should be..

just plain wrong
Very, very wrong.... And that's before I knew about their offering of money to Spurs.....

As I said earlier, this needs 14 votes out of 20 to pass, and only 9 of those will hold the power in the proposed new system, one of whom will be Spurs. Voting in favour of it would be in Spurs' interests, the £150 million is just a bribe / insurance. How much would Fenway / Glazers be offering the smaller clubs who would be locked out of having a say, if the Spurs money rumour is true?

Old Oct 13th 2020, 11:38 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee View Post
Very, very wrong.... And that's before I knew about their offering of money to Spurs.....

As I said earlier, this needs 14 votes out of 20 to pass, and only 9 of those will hold the power in the proposed new system, one of whom will be Spurs. Voting in favour of it would be in Spurs' interests, the £150 million is just a bribe / insurance. How much would Fenway / Glazers be offering the smaller clubs who would be locked out of having a say, if the Spurs money rumour is true?
I just hope the crooks don't get the votes mate it is, as you say, very, very wrong..

I suspect the decent Red Scouse and Yernited fans on here share our feelings and are embarassed by their owners naked money grabbing.
Old Oct 13th 2020, 11:40 pm
So long...

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

I just hope the crooks don't get the votes mate it is, as you say, very, very wrong..

I suspect the decent Red Scouse and Yernited fans on here share our feelings and are embarassed by their owners naked money grabbing.
Well, I'll be emailing my club to express my views... It may not change anything, but at least they'll hopefully get a few hundred thousand of the same so they see how many of us feel about it.

The 25% to EFL clubs seems like a bribe to get fans on board...
Old Oct 14th 2020, 12:08 am
The worse half of Weeze

Mr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond repute

I’ve not seen any fan in favour of this yet. I’m sure if I look not very hard on Twitter I could, but I have yet to see anything positive about it on a forum.
Old Oct 14th 2020, 12:19 am
So long...

Originally Posted by Mr Weeze View Post
I’ve not seen any fan in favour of this yet. I’m sure if I look not very hard on Twitter I could, but I have yet to see anything positive about it on a forum.
I've seen some fans of a couple of Championship teams encouraging others from their club to support it, because they consider their league to be the major beneficiary of the proposed redistribution of money. They may be right. For EFL clubs, they're not going to turn down the opportunity for free money, are they?
Old Oct 14th 2020, 1:08 am
You aint seen me, right?

SpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond repute

I'm seeing a pattern with our owners but luckily each time they've stepped out of line they have listened and gone back on it. That said we do have a new CEO now so who knows if that will change how they respond to criticism.

Where are you seeing about a new stadium anyways? Last I heard we were going to extend Anfield Road end and after expanding the main stand they're surely not going to bin it and build a new stadium?
Old Oct 14th 2020, 4:31 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer View Post
I'm seeing a pattern with our owners but luckily each time they've stepped out of line they have listened and gone back on it. That said we do have a new CEO now so who knows if that will change how they respond to criticism.

Where are you seeing about a new stadium anyways? Last I heard we were going to extend Anfield Road end and after expanding the main stand they're surely not going to bin it and build a new stadium?
Yeah good point, it's probably a mis reporting of the stadium extension.

Hope you are right about your owners and a u-turn because this is miles off side. Given Parry is involved, I suspect the EFL clubs are being lied to and will get some money in the short term before being hung out to dry in the medium\longer term. THe current EFL boards, who share the high standards of the Glazers and FSG, may sign up to it to male a quick buck and then desert the sinking ship....

My hope is that enough PL clubs will vote against it based on common decency and fairness.
Old Oct 14th 2020, 5:25 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Great news the EPL clubs have voted against the Glazer/FSG rip off idea

well done the Clubs
Old Oct 14th 2020, 10:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Well hopefully the Gimps after this decision might float the idea of selling the club. Hey Mr Bezos, Arnault, Ellison or Ambani are you interested? Now are Citeh gonna start playing fair with how they receive money etc?
In their statement, CAS said that “MCFC has contravened Article 56 of the Club Licensing and Financial Fair Play Regulations” and would have to pay a 10million euros fine – slashed from 30million – within 30 days of the judgment.
I guess when you have buckets/bathtubs full of money the odd 10 million fine is just pocket change.
Old Oct 15th 2020, 7:46 am
BE Forum Addict

el collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond repute

England gee, lasted to the penalty they are becoming unwatchable.Lets hope the crowds come back soon so we can hear them being booed.Boo Boo Boo
Old Oct 15th 2020, 7:53 am
WWLLCJD?

Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el collado kid View Post
England gee, lasted to the penalty they are becoming unwatchable.Lets hope the crowds come back soon so we can hear them being booed.Boo Boo Boo
It was like watching Portsmouth. Horrid.
Old Oct 15th 2020, 8:47 pm
So long...

Great news the EPL clubs have voted against the Glazer/FSG rip off idea

well done the Clubs
Unanimously.... Including the clubs pushing it.

I thought it was unlikely they'd get the 14 votes to pass this, but not surprised that Liverpool and Utd bottled it, especially if they waited to see how others were voting...
Old Oct 16th 2020, 8:28 am
Who - me?

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el collado kid View Post
Are you a fail on the Tebbitt Test?
Old Oct 16th 2020, 11:14 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian View Post
Well hopefully the Gimps after this decision might float the idea of selling the club. Hey Mr Bezos, Arnault, Ellison or Ambani are you interested? Now are Citeh gonna start playing fair with how they receive money etc?
In their statement, CAS said that “MCFC has contravened Article 56 of the Club Licensing and Financial Fair Play Regulations” and would have to pay a 10million euros fine – slashed from 30million – within 30 days of the judgment.
I guess when you have buckets/bathtubs full of money the odd 10 million fine is just pocket change.
Nice try but it's fake news Mr Trump - Citeh were fined by CAS for not fully cooperating with the kangaroo court not for the source of the money... but very good attempt to add 2 and 2 to equal a banana.

Quote...

Uefa had claimed that the fact there were two separate payments of £59.5million and £8m made from Etihad was proof that one of them had been channelled through the airline from the funds of Sheikh Mansour’s Abu Dhabi United Group.

But City said the two payments came from two different budgets – central funds and marketing. Uefa said the £59.5 came from ADUG and the £8m from Etihad.

The panel found that the accounts also do not contradict City’s case, and that Uefa had singularly failed to provide any real proof that the Blues had breached FFP rules.

“Neither hypothesis is established and then it boils down to the burden of proof,” they said.

The 30 million fine forfailing to cooperate was regarded as excessive by CAS and was reduced to 10 mil and the 2 year ban for alleged financial misconduct, quite rightly, was dismissed....

The kangaroo court announced the sentence, pronounced guilt and then started their "investigation" it was a clear stich up and accordingly the CAS threw it out as Citeh always said an independent legal tribunal would..

Where you are right is that 10 mil is small change to clubs with turnovers of half a billion plus it is also better than the 200 million plus hit the 2 year ban would have meant...BTW Citeh made a 10.1 million profit last year...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.