Go Back  British Expats > General > The Locker Room
Reload this Page >

The 2020-21 Football Thread

The 2020-21 Football Thread

Old May 3rd 2021, 8:38 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The 2020-21 Football Thread

Originally Posted by kimilseung View Post
I also think that regional and national sporting cultural assets, should be treated as such, with restrictions and protections at the government level. I'd like to see restrictions on these cultural assets leaving the country for one example, just like an important painting might have such protections.

spot on
Old May 4th 2021, 8:14 am
Overkill is underrated

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Apparently, Daniel Ek (founder and CEO of Spotify) has made an offer to the Kroenke family to buy Arsenal.

Arsenal takeover: Thierry Henry confirms Spotify owner Daniel Ek has 'reached out' to Kroenke family

Thierry Henry, speaking as a guest on Monday Night Football, said: 'I think it is going to be long and not easy if it does ever happen. One thing that I want to reiterate is that Daniel will not move away, he will be there waiting to see if they want to sell.'
Old May 4th 2021, 10:30 am
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee View Post
Apparently, Daniel Ek (founder and CEO of Spotify) has made an offer to the Kroenke family to buy Arsenal.

Arsenal takeover: Thierry Henry confirms Spotify owner Daniel Ek has 'reached out' to Kroenke family
good news or not?

already tax dodging at age 23

copyright dodging when copying Napster

multiple infringements of IPR

might be another dodgy one who should fail the fit and proper ownership but won't

This could be a case of be careful what you wish for.....
Old May 4th 2021, 10:48 am
Overkill is underrated

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike View Post
good news or not?

already tax dodging at age 23

copyright dodging when copying Napster

multiple infringements of IPR

might be another dodgy one who should fail the fit and proper ownership but won't

This could be a case of be careful what you wish for.....
I thought Spotify was legal whereas Napster wasn't?

At least he isn't kidnapping people off streets or imprisoning his children... Let's agree to ignore the crimes of club owners then. I suspect anyone who can afford to buy a Premier League club isn't going to be squeaky clean, are they?

As for what I wish for, I'm no longer supporting a club that signed up to the ESL. If the owner changes, I may reconsider, but like the other clubs involved, I think the owners won't walk away over this while they're effectively printing money to support their other ventures.
Old May 4th 2021, 10:59 am
Dunroaming back in UK

I thought Spotify was legal whereas Napster wasn't?

At least he isn't kidnapping people off streets or imprisoning his children... Let's agree to ignore the crimes of club owners then. I suspect anyone who can afford to buy a Premier League club isn't going to be squeaky clean, are they?

As for what I wish for, I'm no longer supporting a club that signed up to the ESL. If the owner changes, I may reconsider, but like the other clubs involved, I think the owners won't walk away over this while they're effectively printing money to support their other ventures.
I think you are spot on about those that can afford to buy PL clubs - there aren't any good guys..... That's why I used to get so miffed when fans of other PL clubs and the UEFA Kangaroo court went after citeh whilst ignoring others......

I also think you are right about the likes of the Glazers who want billions to buy a club loaded with debt up to it's eyeballs - once the crooks succeded with a leveraged theft of the club it's going to be almost impossible to get them out unless you do a Rangers Sevco - jail the crook, kick the club out of the league and sell the stadium etc to a new Phoenix club... However, I can't see Yernited wanting to restart in the North West Counties South Division 1 can you?

PS I don'trecall Sheik Mansour kidnapping anyone or imprisoning his kids
Old May 4th 2021, 11:15 am
Overkill is underrated

PS I don'trecall Sheik Mansour kidnapping anyone or imprisoning his kids
Apologies, it was Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid al-Maktoum...

looks like the standard government model in the Middle East then.....
I was getting the UAE Prime Minister confused with his Deputy PM. Easily done, apparently.
Old May 4th 2021, 11:28 am
Dunroaming back in UK

Apologies, it was Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid al-Maktoum...

I was getting the UAE Prime Minister confused with his Deputy PM. Easily done, apparently.
Only by someone who hasn't checked his sources properly but don't worry I'll accept that as an apology
Old May 4th 2021, 11:30 am
WWLLCJD?

Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamesM View Post
No- but to be fair there was a hardcore of fans who broke away and formed FC United.

I can see a trend of people starting to look away from the Premier League at some of the more community lead clubs in future.

Football inflation in terms of salaries and transfers has been about 15% since the inception of the Premier League and it was always going to hit a ceiling/saturation. With the Super League plug pulled maybe we'll see some stagnation. Still it's unlikely to benefit the fans unless they get more say and also a fairer deal on ticket prices.
True, but not many and not many will be at their games week in week out compared to Man U.

I have watched Saints in League 1 and the Championship, the quality is so bang average compared to top flight football that I think people will alway seek out the best level and best teams, players managers etc to watch.
Old May 4th 2021, 11:48 am
Dunroaming back in UK

Originally Posted by Scamp View Post
I have watched Saints in League 1 and the Championship, the quality is so bang average compared to top flight football that I think people will alway seek out the best level and best teams, players managers etc to watch.
SNAP!

in 98/99 Citeh took more fans to away games than most clubs had home fans - pretty much every League 1 club set new attendance records that year - only 2 levels down but light years behind in quality.

The great thing about footy is that a Club who only escaped League 1 on a penalty shoot out can dream about winning the league title and there is an outside chance it will happen. That's why the Arsenal, Man U, Liverpool, Real Madrid led ESL was so wrong and I'm so glad it was still born!
Old May 4th 2021, 5:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp View Post
I think it very much depends on why you're a fan, how you watch your football etc, and I don't think sweeping statements can be made. The fans who "consume" on a screen want a cup final every week, and they have the money, so that's the customer that the ESL was chasing. There's also plenty of generic PL/MoTD fans - noticeable when we occasionally host a big team and suddenly the home stands are full of people who can't navigate the numbering system for the seats and don't know the words for the chants. Those are the customers that the sport is chasing, I accept that.

For us "legacy" fans - well again it depends. I think "the fan experience" if you want go go all corporate can be better outside the big teams. As a season ticket holder at a lower division club, I can say yes the quality isn't always there, but it doesn't mean it's not enjoyable to watch. Obviously, I have a bit of bias, but Hull City has been on a right rollercoaster over the last 20 years - from the low point of languishing at the bottom of the fourth tier in 2002 through back-to-back promotions up to the Championship and the PL for the first time ever the season after (four leagues in 5 years!), a bit of yo-yoing, an FA cup final (we was robbed), European football, an alarming decline and green shoots of revival. Financial crises, threatened name change, disputes with owners, I think we've had it all. I can't think of many seasons where we weren't fighting for something - usually play off places or avoiding relegation! Supporting a middling table PL team where survival and maybe a cup run are the season highlights seems boring to me - not that I wouldn't mind giving it a go for a bit.

The problem the people in charge in England have, is keeping happy the match-going, season-ticket holding obsessives because they bring the emotion, heart and soul to their local club. They don't make a lot of money out of them, so to keep the business model going they also need the TV viewers who want to watch "good players" in front of a packed, noisy stadium full of atmosphere.

I've got lots of ideas on how to make the game and the sport better, but none of them are realistic, practical or acceptable - apart from banning VAR. We could all get behind that one couldn't we?
Old May 4th 2021, 7:11 pm
Overkill is underrated

Originally Posted by yellowroom View Post
For us "legacy" fans - well again it depends. I think "the fan experience" if you want go go all corporate can be better outside the big teams. As a season ticket holder at a lower division club, I can say yes the quality isn't always there, but it doesn't mean it's not enjoyable to watch.
As an Arsenal fan, I found the home games I attended fairly flat of atmosphere, though pre-game in pubs it was good. As a matchday stweward at my local club, the atmosphere was much better. And next season, I'm going as a season ticket holder for much less than I'd spend attending three or four Arsenal home games most seasons.

Me too. I'd like to see designated standing-allowed areas in the last four or five rows of the lower stand behind each goal (but no further forward),and for the last ten rows of the upper stands, but there'd be no additional capacity as I'd use these

Author: Jon Darch Licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 Unported

I've got lots of ideas on how to make the game and the sport better, but none of them are realistic, practical or acceptable - apart from banning VAR. We could all get behind that one couldn't we?
Let's keep VAR for the big teams
Old May 4th 2021, 8:57 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS SS
Old May 4th 2021, 10:33 pm
Overkill is underrated

Well done, City!
Old May 5th 2021, 9:08 am
WWLLCJD?

Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yellowroom View Post
I think it very much depends on why you're a fan, how you watch your football etc, and I don't think sweeping statements can be made. The fans who "consume" on a screen want a cup final every week, and they have the money, so that's the customer that the ESL was chasing. There's also plenty of generic PL/MoTD fans - noticeable when we occasionally host a big team and suddenly the home stands are full of people who can't navigate the numbering system for the seats and don't know the words for the chants. Those are the customers that the sport is chasing, I accept that.

For us "legacy" fans - well again it depends. I think "the fan experience" if you want go go all corporate can be better outside the big teams. As a season ticket holder at a lower division club, I can say yes the quality isn't always there, but it doesn't mean it's not enjoyable to watch. Obviously, I have a bit of bias, but Hull City has been on a right rollercoaster over the last 20 years - from the low point of languishing at the bottom of the fourth tier in 2002 through back-to-back promotions up to the Championship and the PL for the first time ever the season after (four leagues in 5 years!), a bit of yo-yoing, an FA cup final (we was robbed), European football, an alarming decline and green shoots of revival. Financial crises, threatened name change, disputes with owners, I think we've had it all. I can't think of many seasons where we weren't fighting for something - usually play off places or avoiding relegation! Supporting a middling table PL team where survival and maybe a cup run are the season highlights seems boring to me - not that I wouldn't mind giving it a go for a bit.

The problem the people in charge in England have, is keeping happy the match-going, season-ticket holding obsessives because they bring the emotion, heart and soul to their local club. They don't make a lot of money out of them, so to keep the business model going they also need the TV viewers who want to watch "good players" in front of a packed, noisy stadium full of atmosphere.

Not difficult to agree with a lot of what you say. I watched Saints in the Championship and League One - yes, they're 'exciting' as Leagues but the standard is wank. It makes it hard to keep enjoying and the coverage doesn't provide great opportunity for non-local fans to enjoy.

We've had similar ups and downs, it's fun for the ups and the downs are crap. I think every fan has this though.

Disagree on VAR, I like it. I don't like the rules but I love the technology. Look at Man City's penalty they conceded last night, given purely (in my opinion) because of the reaction from the PSG players. Never even close to a handball and could have changed the tie completely.

As an Arsenal fan, I found the home games I attended fairly flat of atmosphere,
Arse-anal? Flat atmosphere? No way....surely not?

Great result, really chuffed for City.
Old May 5th 2021, 6:35 pm
Overkill is underrated

Man Utd to play three games in five days

Man Utd's new fixture list

Roma vs Man Utd - Europa League - Thu, May 6, 8pm
Aston Villa vs Man Utd - Premier League - Sun, May 9, 2.05pm
Man Utd vs Leicester - Premier League - Tue, May 11, 6pm
Man Utd vs Liverpool - Premier League - Thu, May 13, 8.15pm
Man Utd vs Fulham - Premier League - Tue, May 18, 6pm
Wolves vs Man Utd - Premier League - Sun, May 23, 4pm
Europa League final (should they qualify) - Wed, May 26, 8pm

To accommodate that rescheduling, Southampton vs Crystal Palace remains on Tuesday, May 11 but will kick-off at 8.15pm, Aston Villa vs Everton remains on Thursday May 13, but will now kick-off at 6pm, and Manchester United vs Fulham is moved to Tuesday, May 18 at 6pm (previously Wednesday May 19, 7.45pm)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.